Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands with the biggest hits and misses

Spaceman Spiff

I thought the whole point of The Clash was that could play anything from punk to straight rock to new wave to reggae to ska.

I mean, I guess if you just want fast loud songs that check in at 2:30, you are going to be frustrated.

(To be honest, The Clash is the one band that I assume everyone would like if they really listened to them. I love Dylan and Springsteen, but I can see why people would dislike them. The Clash to me are like The Beatles. I'm not sure how anyone can honestly dislike The Beatles. This thread has gotten weird but at least TheLongshot hasn't turned up to talk about The Alan Parsons Project or Yes or whatever awful prog rock he listens to).

This guy gets it.

AC/DC has some big hits and misses.  For the most part, I really like the Bon Scott and early Brian Johnson stuff.  However, there are some serious stinkers in there,  They've essentially tapped the well.  Each album since Back In Black has been a lesser version of that album.

It's good to know that Zoony is an obsessed Stevie Nicks fan. How many scarves do you think he owns?

By the way, the answer is Willie Nelson. Since Willie has covered every song in the history of the universe, he has recorded the best songs and the worst songs by definition.

Actually, Tom Waits is a pretty good choice for this, not that he really has "hits." A good Tom Waits' song is transcendent. A bad Tom Waits' song is unlistenable.

I thought the whole point of The Clash was that could play anything from punk to straight rock to new wave to reggae to ska.

I mean, I guess if you just want fast loud songs that check in at 2:30, you are going to be frustrated.

(To be honest, The Clash is the one band that I assume everyone would like if they really listened to them. I love Dylan and Springsteen, but I can see why people would dislike them. The Clash to me are like The Beatles. I'm not sure how anyone can honestly dislike The Beatles. This thread has gotten weird but at least TheLongshot hasn't turned up to talk about The Alan Parsons Project or Yes or whatever awful prog rock he listens to).

I honestly dislike the Clash.  "Rock the Casbah" might be the biggest ****ing corn-laden turd to ever be dropped on this country.  I dislike the Clash with passion usually reserved for Oprah Winfrey.

Back to the OP.  How about Fleetwood Mac, since we're talking about them.  They have some truly great tracks, and some flat out annoying crap.  All on the same albums

It's good to know that Zoony is an obsessed Stevie Nicks fan. How many scarves do you think he owns?

It could be worse, I could want to have a three way with Morrissey and Kim Smith.  We know Kim would be wearing the strap on, so I guess that leaves you and M to take turns catching.  

How about Fleetwood Mac, since we're talking about them. They have some truly great tracks, and some flat out annoying crap. All on the same albums

Great Fleetwood Mac:

Black Magic Woman

Oh Well (studio version)

Something Inside of Me

Hypnotized

Man of the World

Stop Messin Round

Lame Fleetwood Mac:

Pretty much everything from the mid 70s onward.

It could be worse, I could want to have a three way with Morrissey and Kim Smith.  We know Kim would be wearing the strap on, so I guess that leaves you and M to take turns catching.  

Can it be Morrissey and Kim Gordon with the rest being the same?

Also, Weezer needs to be on this thread. Good Weezer is perfect rock music. Bad Weezer seems like a parody of modern rock music.

Great Fleetwood Mac:

Black Magic Woman

Oh Well (studio version)

Something Inside of Me

Hypnotized

Man of the World

Stop Messin Round

Lame Fleetwood Mac:

Pretty much everything from the mid 70s onward.

I laughed.   

Pop music has its place, and Fleetwood Mac did some of the best written and best crafted pop music of all time.   

Can it be Morrissey and Kim Gordon with the rest being the same?

Also, Weezer needs to be on this thread. Good Weezer is perfect rock music. Bad Weezer seems like a parody of modern rock music.

Yah and I meant Gordon not smith.

As for weezer did you just want to copy Klostrrmans entire essay?

Whomever said david bowie and the cure hit it, for me. 

both have been a round for a loooong time.   both are willing to wing it and try something new.  SOmetimes that works great, and sometimes you end up with a big messy hairy turd sitting on the living room carpet. 

The Clash, and lots of others mentioned... just peaked at one point, and then got old and got more geriatric.  Geriatric works for Johnny Cash and for Elvis... but not for everybody.  

(Fat Elvis is a good choice here.  SOme great stuff in those latter years, and some William Shatneresque drug addled soliloquies... )

I assume that this popped up in my facebook feed because i was looking at this thread here..... 

http://www.answers.com/article/1206537/12-flawless-albums-that-only-have-great-songs?paramt=null&param4=fb-us-de-entertainment-hppv&param1=screen&param2=51354431&param5=1388566064709251&param6=6037540199386

http://www.answers.com/article/1206537/12-flawless-albums-that-only-have-great-songs?paramt=null&param4=fb-us-de-entertainment-hppv&param1=screen&param2=51354431&param5=1388566064709251&param6=6037540199386

..... which... is kinda creepy.

(i don;t know if the list is any good or not, i hate those "flipshow" articles that make you press next over and over and over again... and don't do it)

(Fat Elvis is a good choice here.  SOme great stuff in those latter years, and some William Shatneresque drug addled soliloquies... )

Elvis in general is a good choice. There is great early Elvis. And then there is movie Elvis (and there is even some great movie Elvis). And there is great later period Elvis. And then there is fat Vegas Elvis.

There are a lot of Elvises.

You might even say: Elvis is everywhere. Elvis is everything. Elvis is everybody.

Elvis in general is a good choice. There is great early Elvis. And then there is movie Elvis (and there is even some great movie Elvis). And there is great later period Elvis. And then there is fat Vegas Elvis.

There are a lot of Elvises.

You might even say: Elvis is everywhere. Elvis is everything. Elvis is everybody.

That's why Elvis is still the King.

Vampire Weekend.

Some of their stuff I really love. Some is total meh.

One of the huge problems in music right now is that there is really no limit to how big a record can be. CDs can hold a zillion hours of music. There is no limit to digital recordings.

So, cats just release everything, it seems.

Born to Run was 8 songs at 39 minutes.

Dylan packed his records and most of them checked in around 10 songs and 50 minutes.

Blonde on Blonde was 15 tracks and 73 minutes.

Taylor's Swift's last two albums combined are 29 tracks and two hours and ten minutes long.

That's why Elvis is still the King.

Elvis is in your mom.

The Killers. First 3 albums (especially Sams Town) were awesome. Then they slowly morphed into a top 40 ballad mush.

Never got The Killers. One of the thousand 2000s indie bands that tried to equal Is This It? unsuccessfully. But I know that's probably an unpopular opinion since everyone loves Mr. Brightside.

I've been looking... Can't find a clash song I like. Freakin disco-pop-punk.

i knda think this overall attitude funny :)

there wasn't such a thing as "punk"... and then a couple of american bands started being called "punk", more for a "feel" then a particular sound  and then the Sex Pistols were put together by a producer like the Monkees or INSynk.... 

.. and then you have a whole generation of punks that think if a band doesn't try to thrash like the Sex Pistols, they lack the purity and authenticity of the anointed ;) 

(the early american pioneer "punk" bands i always hear referenced are the Ramones, Talking Heads and Blondie ---  Is the Clash as "punk" as Blondie??  )

Never got The Killers. One of the thousand 2000s indie bands that tried to equal Is This It? unsuccessfully. But I know that's probably an unpopular opinion since everyone loves Mr. Brightside.

Their first album with mr. brightside was ok but Sams Town is truly just a great rock album. Not a lot of keyboard just a stripped down beautifully written album.

Archived