Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bands with the biggest hits and misses

Spaceman Spiff

It's also kind of amazing that you could have a discussion of transcendent music and garbage music and not discuss Paul McCartney.

Yeah. Thinking about it, I don't really enjoy any of his post Beatles music. Some of the radio hits like Live and Let Die and Band on The Run are interesting and listenable. But I don't love them. It's a strange case because he was almost operating as a solo artist within the Beatles from about 1965 onward. But for some reason, he needed them a lot more than you could have expected when they broke up.

It's also kind of amazing that you could have a discussion of transcendent music and garbage music and not discuss Paul McCartney.

I would throw Pink Floyd into the mix. Everyone knows them for their anthems... But take a deep dive sometime. A whole lotta unlistenable crap. And not in a "I'm not hip enough to get this" type of way. More of a "this sounds like that band I knew in high school" kind of way.

Yeah, that's a good point. I like for bands and artists to experiment. But sometimes that experimentation leads to phases that don't really work.

Also, there is a difference for me between an artist going down a creative rabbit hole I don't care for, and an artist pushing out work that is clearly uninspired. I can respect and maybe eventually grow to appreciate work that is strange, risky, and perhaps unsavory, but still coming from a place of inspiration. But uninspired work will probably always bore me and make me sad.

There was the question of artists where you like everything they do. In all honesty, Springsteen is pretty close to that for me.

I think Human Touch is entirely too long, but I like Lucky Town. And I think Ghost of Tom Joad is interesting.

I did not like Working on a Dream. That felt like the only album he ever released because he needed a record to justify a tour.

The latest one is a weird mix if covers and throwaways that he gave to Tom Morello to do Tom Morello things to. I can't imagine anyone would buy that and say, "Wow...this is great." But it's kind of neat that a Social Security eligible rock legend is trying something new.

Yeah. Thinking about it, I don't really enjoy any of his post Beatles music. Some of the radio hits like Live and Let Die and Band on The Run are interesting and listenable. But I don't love them. It's a strange case because he was almost operating as a solo artist within the Beatles from about 1965 onward. But for some reason, he needed them a lot more than you could have expected when they broke up.

I think Paul has two or three undeniably excellent solo/Wings albums. Maybe two noble failures. And a bunch of crap. (I'm not counting the stuff he's relased in the 90s and 2000s because why would I?

I would throw Pink Floyd into the mix. Everyone knows them for their anthems... But take a deep dive sometime. A whole lotta unlistenable crap. And not in a "I'm not hip enough to get this" type of way. More of a "this sounds like that band I knew in high school" kind of way.

Pink Floyd and Zeppelin are two bands I just don't "get" so it's hard for me to comment on them.

When I comes to Floyd, I think "Comfortably Numb" is one of the greatest songs ever written and I don't like anything else. So, in my world, they are like a one-hit wonder.

I might be showing my ass here, but Dire Straits qualifies for me. Maybe I have questionable taste or just don't get it, but a lot of their songs are forgettable and unenjoyable. And then their hits are incredible.

I would tend to agree. If your an album snob (like me), "Greatest Hits" and "Best ofs" are the things that frat boys play when someone is their "favorite band."

But when it comes to Dire Straits....if you bought the Best of and stayed there, you probably aren't hurting yourself too badly. I actually own four of the first five Dire Staits studio albums. And I'm not sure I've played any of them since 1991. But I play the Greatest Hits record on a monthly basis.

I think I posted a thread a few years ago about bands with no deep cuts, and I named The Eagles as the standard bearer there. I don't particularly like anything on the greatest hits record that sold 90 billion copies, but everyone probably should own that, Hotel California, and nothing else.

ELO is one of those bands that I like and nobody else does. But even I know there is no reason to own anything other than their greatest hits record.

Don't think he and his band have been mentioned yet...

Bruce Springsteen.

Sure, he was big around 1984 or so...has he made anything worth buying in 30 years ?

Few hits, I saw him live in DC...great show. Everything I have heard from him since...ehh...listenable, nothing great.

You could name just about any band that has produced good music.   I can't think of a band that has produced good music and then produced album filler.   There's always going to be at least one bad track..   A more interesting question would be, what band has the lowest percentage of album filler. 

You could name just about any band that has produced good music.   I can't think of a band that has produced good music and then produced album filler.   There's always going to be at least one bad track..   A more interesting question would be, what band has the lowest percentage of album filler. 

Well, that is pretty easy to answer.   The Beatles.   They basically produced a dozen fantastic albums where you almost have to hunt to find something lousy.  Then they broke up.   In the world of "never having a sucky period" it's the Beatles first and then a huge gap to everyone else who ever lived.   

Well, that is pretty easy to answer.   The Beatles.   They basically produced a dozen fantastic albums where you almost have to hunt to find something lousy.  Then they broke up.   In the world of "never having a sucky period" it's the Beatles first and then a huge gap to everyone else who ever lived.   

You might be right, although the white album ("The Beatles") did seem to have an awful lot of filler aside from Back in the U.S.S.R. and Revolution

whatever...half of the Beatles stuff is just nostalgic.

You don't have to hunt at all, some of their hits aren't really that impressive.

"Not that impressive" is a lot better than "crappy album filler."  

You might be right, although the white album ("The Beatles") did seem to have an awful lot of filler aside from Back in the U.S.S.R. and Revolution

Yeah, maybe that one - although that seems to be from music experimentation rather than just mailing it in.

The Clash are pretty close. I've honestly never listened to Cut The Crap so I have no opinion as to whether it's good or bad (and it's not really even a Clash record since Mick Jones as fired). Sandinista! is bloated but bloated in a way I like. Everything else is amazing.

Whatever People Say I am, I'm Not is also incredible. It's another one of my all time favorite albums. But it's like they became disillusioned by mega-fame and lost all of the piss and vinegar that gave them their edge. They didn't get incompetent, and in a vacuum, their subsequent work wasn't terrible. They just got boring and uninspired and I can't enjoy it because of how much I love the debut album.

Suck It And See and Humbug are the best Monkeys albums...by far. Come at me, bro.

Rod Stewart's early '70s catalog (both solo and with the Faces) is fantastic and holds up quite well.  But boy oh boy has he put out some crap in the years after that.

Rod Stewart's career is fascinating in that he said to himself, "What do I need to do to get the most possible money and the best quality women for the rest of my life?" and did precisely that.

It's almost admirable.

Rod Stewart's career is fascinating in that he said to himself, "What do I need to do to get the most possible money and the best quality women for the rest of my life?" and did precisely that.

It's almost admirable.

He did it right from the start, when he was Rod the Mod. 

I might have liked a couple of Rod Stewart's 90s hits if the snare drum weren't so annoyingly upfront and tinny in the mix. I guess it was just a natural hazard of the infancy of digital recordings, but it renders songs like My Heart Can't Tell You No unlistenable.

She's wayyyyy outside of my usual taste in music, but there are a couple of Amy Winehouse songs that had minimalist production that I quite like, whilst many seem to be overproduced to the point of being just the run of the mill pop excrement.

I might have liked a couple of Rod Stewart's 90s hits if the snare drum weren't so annoyingly upfront and tinny in the mix. I guess it was just a natural hazard of the infancy of digital recordings, but it renders songs like My Heart Can't Tell You No unlistenable.

She's wayyyyy outside of my usual taste in music, but there are a couple of Amy Winehouse songs that had minimalist production that I quite like, whilst many seem to be overproduced to the point of being just the run of the mill pop excrement.

I thought the whole point of Amy Winehouse was that she was going for a very specific feel in her production.

Archived