Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

007- Bond, James Bond.

88Comrade2000

GHH did you approve or disapprove M becoming a woman with Judi Dench for the last 7 movies. What about MoneyPenny being black now?

*Dame Judi Dench. (British respect thing after she was afforded the honour. Shrugs.). 

It was different (but then Moneypenny in particular will always be Lois Maxwell in my mind. She was just the perfect fit for the role and I never understood why she was ditched when Dalton become Bond) but you're not talking the main protagonist. Yeah, intrinsic, recurring characters. But minor in comparison. 

Maybe a black Bond would be embraced. Maybe not. 

I just personally hope they never go down that route. Not because I'd be against him being black per se. Just it's not how I've come to know him through the films and I'm sure many would be the same. If this was the start of the series, so to speak, then fair enough. But not 26 flicks in on arguably cinemas most iconic character. 

Hail.

GHH did you approve or disapprove M becoming a woman with Judi Dench for the last 7 movies.

Well, they had to replace him with SOMEBODY. And frankly, I rather liked what they did. Made things completely different. And, I thought, made M both tougher and yet still very much a British character we could believe in.

Alright, I'll say it:

I like the Timothy Dalton versions.

I think Dalton's Bond is under appreciated. Every time I re watch them they seem to be better then what I remember them being.

I just don't see how you switch the colour of his skin and expect it to fly with audiences after all this time. The whole brand changes. Bond is what he is.

So how'd you feel when blonde Daniel Craig became Bond? :)

The more GHH contends Elba wouldn't work, the more I think it would be a genius move from the film makers.

I never thought someone else could play a better Joker than Nicholson, I was completely wrong.

I never thought for a second that Matt Damon could play a convincing badass, I was wrong.

I think Dalton's Bond is under appreciated. Every time I re watch them they seem to be better then what I remember them being.

So how'd you feel when blonde Daniel Craig became Bond? :)

Dalton is definitely unappreciated as Bond.  Both his movies were solid.  

Elba as the next Bond would be PIMP.  He could definitely hold it down and make a killer Bond.  They gave us ****ing George Lanzenby for the love of Pete, ****ing most horrible movie in the entire franchise, because of him.  

Elba would destroy it.

I just personally hope they never go down that route. Not because I'd be against him being black per se. Just it's not how I've come to know him through the films and I'm sure many would be the same. If this was the start of the series, so to speak, then fair enough. But not 26 flicks in on arguably cinemas most iconic character. 

I agree. Craig's movies seem to have been a reboot of sorts continuity wise. But the others seemed to have a loose continuity, at least from Connery through Moore. You did have a nod to the older films with the DB5 in Skyfall, as well as in Goldeneye. There were also several gadget cameos in the Q scene in Die Another Day (Thunderball jet pack, Octo**** croc sub, etc...).

I don't think a black Bond works unless you go by the idea that James Bond is the alias given to each 007 when they get the job. The Craig movies have delved extensively enough into Bond's past to show that Craig's character was born as James Bond. Or at least he believes that he was. We'll see if Spectre changes any of that. A black Bond puts the final nail in the coffin of any ideas of continuity in the Bond universe.

Elba might make a great secret agent. That is fine, make him 008 or 003 and do a spin off movie. There is no reason why Bond movies couldn't have a "universe" like the Marvel movies or what is going to happen soon with Star Wars.

The more GHH contends Elba wouldn't work, the more I think it would be a genius move from the film makers.

Apply that thinking to all of his posts. :P

I agree. Craig's movies seem to have been a reboot of sorts continuity wise. But the others seemed to have a loose continuity, at least from Connery through Moore. You did have a nod to the older films with the DB5 in Skyfall, as well as in Goldeneye. There were also several gadget cameos in the Q scene in Die Another Day (Thunderball jet pack, Octo**** croc sub, etc...).

I don't think a black Bond works unless you go by the idea that James Bond is the alias given to each 007 when they get the job. The Craig movies have delved extensively enough into Bond's past to show that Craig's character was born as James Bond. Or at least he believes that he was. We'll see if Spectre changes any of that. A black Bond puts the final nail in the coffin of any ideas of continuity in the Bond universe.

Elba might make a great secret agent. That is fine, make him 008 or 003 and do a spin off movie. There is no reason why Bond movies couldn't have a "universe" like the Marvel movies or what is going to happen soon with Star Wars.

Skyfall's ending seemed more like modernizing type reboot, especially with Spectre being the next flick.

Now, if you go the route of "James Bond" is an alias for 007, that's all fine. Even if Craig's Bond was actually born as James Bond. You can have him retired but then pass the "James Bond" name on as a way of honoring the original for his service. That's a way to have Elba take over the role. Sometimes when you have an actor that's SO strong like he is, you find a way to make it work. Afterall, MARVEL has Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Furry on screen & they replaced Steve Rogers with the Falcon in Captain America.

You Only Live Twice best Bond theme.

Also, regarding continuity for Elba, seriously? That's the argument against it? This isn't a recast in the middle of the LOTR trilogy or something. These movies are only loosely connected. Just envision all past Bond exploits as being done by Elba if you must.

I mean I don't really understand. Craig's Bond shows when he first becomes 007 and then he suddenly appears younger, taller and as a brunette for his later missions. What gives?

Dalton is definitely unappreciated as Bond.  Both his movies were solid.  

Elba as the next Bond would be PIMP.  He could definitely hold it down and make a killer Bond.  They gave us ****ing George Lanzenby for the love of Pete, ****ing most horrible movie in the entire franchise, because of him.  

Elba would destroy it.

Horrible movie?  Lazenby was the worst Bond, but the movie "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" has been regarded one of the better Bonds. Time has been kind to the movie.

In this day and age, I don't see Bond's race as being important.  The UK is a multiethnic country now.  Its not 1965

I see continuity in the character, only as far as the actor doesn't change (and sometimes even then, its really unimportant as  the films have rarely mentioned events in previous films ).   When you change actors its like a reboot, as other posters have said.  

Very little Sean Connery love here, I guess he's become something of an anachronism.  He'll always be the best Bond to my way of thinking.  He had a dark edge to him that not even Craig can match.  Craig is more physical but Connery came across as a cruel, heartless mofo who just happened to be on the side of the righteous which, as mentioned, is how he is written in the books.  

I've enjoyed all the Bonds to be honest though, one of my favorite characters in the movies.  Craig is my second favorite and I've been happy with the new movies for the most part.  A little heavy on the explosions but some really kickass chase scenes.  Some of the best ever.

I grew up watching the Roger Moore films in the theatre and they were the epitome of what we could do with special effects before CGI.  Great fun but not very serious.

I think Idris would be an excellent Bond.  He's got gravitas that Hardy doesn't.  At least not yet. 

Agree on Hardy being too young. He's only 37. I see Bond as a swagged out gentleman in his 40s, who pulls the sexiest woman in the room like it's nothing.

That's why I'd say Elba be the next Bond, then Hardy after that, when Tom is in his 40s

Read an interesting theory on Connery as Bond and The Rock. Theory was Connery's character in the Rock is actually supposed to be "James Bond".

The supporting argument was kinda funny

dang, it fits pretty well lol.  but wasn't he a criminal that was freed from prison?

and the opening scene of that movie where the guy is locked in the room with that deadly gas messed me up big time lol

Connery is best.  Craig second best.  Then I think there can be a valid argument on the rankings of Moore, Brosnan and Dalton.  Cause one shouldn't acknowledge Lazenby.  Lazenby is like the movie Highlander 2, the **** one everyone tries to forget happened :)

Might catch some flack for this but in the middle, I'd rank it Dalton, Moore, Brosnan.  Dalton brought the darker Bond back, which I liked. Moore was great, and he was the Bond I grew up with (born in 1975) granted I watched all the Bond movies with Connery when they came on TV.  I think Dalton had it a lot rougher than some of the others just with the timing of what was going on in 1987-1990.

Brosnan was excellent in GoldenEye, and really good in Tomorrow Never Dies, then I dunno, I might go back and watch The World is Not Enough and Die Another Day.  I just don't think those two were that good.  

dang, it fits pretty well lol. but wasn't he a criminal that was freed from prison?

and the opening scene of that movie where the guy is locked in the room with that deadly gas messed me up big time lol

He wasn't a criminal. He was an SAS whom the british government refused to acknowledge existed, who had evidence of all the US secrets...

And he was never technically freed. He was allowed out to help them break into Alcatraz.

Archived