Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Want Cousins To Start 16 Games This Fall

Veryoldschool

Supposedly, Cousins has improved in the interception department, at least in Richmond.  See this link:

http://realredskins.com/2015/08/28/need-to-know-has-cousins-shaken-his-interception-problems/

Quote of note:

“He hasn’t thrown many [interceptions] this camp,” said Gruden. “He’s improved on the turnover issue very much so through OTAs and training camp and preseason games. We’re impressed with the progress that Kirk has made very much. He’s done a great job.”

Has this been talked about?

Supposedly, Cousins has improved in the interception department, at least in Richmond.  See this link:

http://realredskins.com/2015/08/28/need-to-know-has-cousins-shaken-his-interception-problems/

Has this been talked about?

First I saw that article, thanks for posting it. 

That's all you can really ask of your QB that the guy shows up to work everyday and gets better.

To me it doesn't matter how Cousins does. All we can really ask for is a competition and let the best man win. That's what happened in this case. If he fails or throws a ton of INTs, at least he earned the right to do that. Griffin being handed the job with no competition was just plain ridiculous.

I had just commented last about the statistics of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as they went through their first 16 games.  Both of them had at least 15 games to start in a row...if you compare the first 15 games of spot starts for KC, the stats are comparable.  PM didn't get the int's under control until his 20+ games in a row mark...Brady threw picks too!! 

I'm not declaring KC to be the next TB or PM...however, it's only fair that you would give support to the QB through a full season and stop the worrying about throwing a Int and going to the bench.  KC is a gunslinger that has a great arm and is showing pocket presence. Definitely worth giving him full support for a throw away season like 2015.

Cousins improvement over last year is notable.  He has shown ability to go "off schedule" ...  slide and glide and then scan the field and pick out open receiver... often with surprising touch.

I have not seen this from him before ... only the naked boot.

Also his "quick release" has gotten quicker.

Its like he spent the entire off-season studying the game film of a certain Green Bay QB.

Some of the passes he made in Ravens game were eye-openers ... the out to Crowder for the first down ... the lazers to Grant during the 2-minute drill.  Even the tipped td to Crowder was a nice pass (MJ shouldda couldaa grabbed it). 

I hope Kirk plays against the Jags for at least the first series ... he needs the work with his new OL ... and vice versa.  

I could say this is Cousins last chance with the Redskins. However, the Skins could tender him next year and either match or get a higher pick than has been offered for Cousins yet...like a late round pick.

The same for McCoy.

We could force RG3 to stay with the Redskins.

Or, we could cut them all.

This could be the most sophisticated/bizarre case of leverage ever.

Donald Trump on line one.

If we see Cousins passing 35-45 times a game again then IMO nobody should be surprised if he's tossing 2-3 picks a game. He's going to be put in situations that a good DC will take advantage of his inexperience in those kind of games.

This is a really key point. Hopefully the D and running game are good enough that he can be closer to 30 a game than 40. I hope Jay doesn't get so excited that he has a QB who can run his system that he gets pass happy.

If Gruden is really a great or better than average Oc then he should be able to come up with offensive game plans that will confuse the defense before a guy like Coughlin has a chance to once again confuse the hell out of Cousins.

If we see Cousins passing 35-45 times a game again then IMO nobody should be surprised if he's tossing 2-3 picks a game. He's going to be put in situations that a good DC will take advantage of his inexperience in those kind of games.

Yes, but also improvements should be seen in Kirks game like throwing fewer picks and more td's. Throwing 50 times a game wont be an excuse for throwing ints because he does have a problem with ints.

Yes, but also improvements should be seen in Kirks game like throwing fewer picks and more td's. Throwing 50 times a game wont be an excuse for throwing ints because he does have a problem with ints.

I don't really see him throwing 2-3 picks per game.  If that were true, in his 14 games then he would have 28+ Ints...he has 19.  That's 1.3 per game for a very small sample size.  In retrospect, Peyton Manning had 1.75 per game during the same span...

The pro level requires a season of uninterrupted consistent play to develop past the learning curve.  If KC is to have any chance to succeed then he will need the ability to play and learn over the course of a full season. 

When this happens, he should be evaluated on the last quarter of the season and the strides that were made over time.  The best bet is to let him sling it without being in fear of anything.  Then coach him up week in and week out until you get to the appropriate sample size to guage his progress. 

This int talk about Kirk is seriously stale. Look at all the great QB's that have had high int seasons/games? It's part of playing the position. We have more of a normal passing offense with him in there. We actually can run the entire playbook with him in there. With that comes more risk, it's just part of the game.

The Cousins that got benched last yer shows up; he will be benched probably after the Giants game and an 0-3 start.

I think he would have to play pretty bad in those 3 games to be benched so quickly. I would doubt the record would have a significant impact on his status as the starter - so you think we'll see the "bad Cousins" for 3 sustained games?

Keep in mind, he played well vs. Jacksonville and at Philly. He played OK against NY in the first half also. He had a horrible second half in that game followed by a solid outing vs. Seattle. Then, he was up and down at Arizona. His entire half against Tennessee was pretty uninspiring (but not a meltdown). By my estimation, he was really only "benchable" for roughly 4 of the 22 quarters he played last year. I would think he'd have to play all 12 like that to be benched so quickly this season. 

This int talk about Kirk is seriously stale. Look at all the great QB's that have had high int seasons/games? It's part of playing the position. We have more of a normal passing offense with him in there. We actually can run the entire playbook with him in there. With that comes more risk, it's just part of the game.

This conversation is interesting and the logic is sound, but all of it goes out the window when we're in 17-14 ballgame and Kirk throws his second "bad decision" pick and this board has a meltdown Sunday evening into Monday morning. 

It then becomes hard to find this sound "logic" about QB development on this board.  It'll be more of same stuff we've been saying about Robert: "He's a QB in his fourth year," "he should have taken the sack and punted to play another down," "see he's a career backup." 

I agree with what you're saying, but coaches like fans are emotional as well, and Gruden, knowing his job is now on the line, might not be willing to allow Kirk to "develop" with Robert and Colt in the wings, especially considering how secure Colt is with the football.

Just saying.

This was a really great article by Manny, from Hap's post in the twitter thread.

Confidence is exactly what Kirk Cousins has a lot of now. Especially after truly finding out where he stands with the organization as of Monday. But really the change began early this spring. “We went to a high school to throw and I said, who’s coming,” said Christensen. “He said, ‘I think Colt [McCoy] is coming, seven receivers and I invited RG [Robert Griffin III].’ And I said, ‘you invited RG?’ He said, yeah, of course I did. When he said that, I said wow, alright — he’s there now. He’s not trying to be overly competitive with his teammate. He just wants everyone to get better. He knows that RG is going to get better and he’s [Cousins] going to get better — he’s going to do the best he can. But when a guy starts thinking like that, now you have a true leader on your hands.” - See more at: http://proplayerinsiders.com/nfl-player-team-news-features/personal-qb-coach-jeff-christensen-says-kirk-cousins-different-year/#sthash.LA1vnZX5.dpuf

This is so true. Young QBs throw picks, some old ones throw picks too. Lots of media seems to be making a big deal about his 4.7% interception rate. He only has 9 starts, it is very possible that he will improve.

Drew Brees in his 3rd year, NFL starts 17-27, had a 4.2% INT rate.

Eli Manning had a 4.6% rate his rookie season and again in his 7th year then 4.9% in his 10th year.

Brett Favre in his 3rd year, NFL starts 14-29, had a 4.6% rate.

Peyton Manning as a rookie, starts 1-16, had a 4.9% rate.

Ben Roethlisberger in his 3rd year, NFL starts 26-40, had a 4.9% rate.

Troy Aikman had a 6.1% rate his rookie year, starts 1-11, and 4.5% his second year, starts 12-26. 

John Elway had a 5.4% rate his rookie year, starts 1-10. 

These guys all turned out okay. 

Hell, Sonny's career INT rate was 4.4%. He had several years over 7%.

I don't think it's just the INTs, it's that they appeared out of no where.  

Did those great QBs have bunches of INTs in disturbing short periods of time like Cousins seemed to? Or, did the greats spread out their INTs over the course of the game / season...  I don't think its INTs that is the big problem. They are the result.  It was confidence in his OL, and handling the overall pressure of the game.

I never really liked to compare our QBs to the greats.  It's too easy to find similar stats of someone to make a point.

I'm way tired of hearing people call Captain Kirk an INT machine.  Yes, I said it too in the past, but man it's just old now.

Didn't Peyton the God of all QB's ever throw 28 in his first 16 games?

Brett Favre had 29 one year....

I'm not saying Cappy is at the level of Peyton or Brett, but what if he improves? 

Conn, I'm not going to quote all that text, but every Damn word is perfect. Every year, he does the right thing in the off-season. Every year, he excels in practice. Every year we think to ourselves "he's finally got it", then he hits live action and it all comes crashing down again.

I think Cousins floor is Fitzpatrick. I think the sky's the limit. I also think I'm just happy he is everything Robert isn't.

Why Kirk for 16 games? He has won exactly 1 game in his career that HE started, I remember one Colt McCoy beat the Cowboys last year.... enough said. RG3 was playing way too timid and not to get hurt and he is a shell of the 2012 player, but we have seen Cousins and despite what Shanahan says he isn't a top 10 QB in this league, McCoy IMHO should have been the guy we turned to not Kirk. But if he starts all 16 games I predict he will throw more INT's than TD's. Give me someone who protects the ball doesn't force the issue and can escape to play another down, not sure that it is Cousins. Yet another long and frustrating season for a Skins fan of over 40 years and it hasn't even begun yet. :unsure:

I don't think it's just the INTs, it's that they appeared out of no where.  

Did those great QBs have bunches of INTs in disturbing short periods of time like Cousins seemed to? Or, did the greats spread out their INTs over the course of the game / season...  I don't think its INTs that is the big problem. They are the result.  It was confidence in his OL, and handling the overall pressure of the game.

I never really liked to compare our QBs to the greats.  It's too easy to find similar stats of someone to make a point.

Who cares? At this point he's the best option we have on the team. Also this was last year. People around here keep bringing up Kirk's past. Talk about this year. He won the job.   From all accounts Kirk is a better player than he was last year. He made significant improvement in the system where Griffin obviously did not. I'm past last year.

Time for all of us (I mean we are supposed to be diehards...I know I am) to get behind Kirk.  I will admit I was one of the Pro RGIII guys.   Now that they made this decision before week 1, I am nervous but more excited.   Let him play to his strengths.  He obviously has more at this point in our Offense than Robert.  I hope Robert finds a good place and matures.  If he can start to take responsibility for his shortcomings, then he can still be a good NFL QB.   For now, I'm with the other posters that are tired of the RGIII show.   This is about the team we all love.   Onward with Captain Kirk.   Happy to see Jordan Reed take the field and leave healthy.   Ready to see DJax for the first time (having both should make PG #88 relevant).   The running game will speak for itself.   1, 2, 3 punch with Almo, Juggernaut Jones and Chris MightyMouse Thompson.   I'm excited, but I still have not made a prediction. My first record prediction will come right before the Miami game.

HTTR!!!!!!!!

Who cares? At this point he's the best option we have on the team. Also this was last year. People around here keep bringing up Kirk's past. Talk about this year. He won the job.   From all accounts Kirk is a better player than he was last year. He made significant improvement in the system where Griffin obviously did not. I'm past last year.

Archived