Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP - ‘Muslim-free’ gun shop teams with George Zimmerman to sell Confederate flag prints

The Evil Genius

George Zimmerman makes good life choices. He's a man of great wisdom and I feel like he should be part of the first group we send to Mars.

Give him a glock 19 and a space suit and send him on his merry intrepid way.

Do you really want our first interactions with aliens to be GZ standing his ground?

I really wish Trayvon had beat him to death.

That was a possible outcome right? He feared for his life...?

Yeah, would have been just another black kid locked up for life but I guess that's better than dead before 20.

And one fewer racist turned right wing celebrity that is literally famous (and popular) for killing a black kid. Pretty ****ing sick if you ask me. We'd be better off if it turned out a different way.

Maybe if Trayvon had a gun and "stood his ground.." Maybe that's what it will take for right wingers to want gun control measures, having a majority of black people carrying guns. The fear will certainly be overwhelming.

Maybe if Trayvon had a gun and "stood his ground.." Maybe that's what it will take for right wingers to want gun control measures, having a majority of black people carrying guns. The fear will certainly be overwhelming.

That is literally how gun control started in this country.  

In 1967, Ronald Reagan signed a broad gun control law into effect in California because the Black Panthers were open-carrying and saying they would use their guns in self defense.  Reagan said: I see "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and the new law "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."  The bill was strongly supported by the NRA, which didn't like the idea of black people with guns either.  Multiple states had enacted gun control laws since Reconstruction times, largely for the same reasons.   

In 1967, Ronald Reagan signed a broad gun control law into effect in California because the Black Panthers were open-carrying and saying they would use their guns in self defense. Reagan said: I see "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and the new law "would work no hardship on the honest citizen." The bill was strongly supported by the NRA, which didn't like the idea of black people with guns either. Multiple states had enacted gun control laws since Reconstruction times, largely for the same reasons.

This is gold. I had no idea, thanks for the information.

according to wikipedia it started in the 1930's thanks to the mafia

but predicto's story sounds good, so...

edit: actually it looks like "some of the first gun control laws..." were in 1813, and oriented around concealed carry.

according to wikipedia it started in the 1930's thanks to the mafia

but predicto's story sounds good, so...

edit: actually it looks like "some of the first gun control laws..." were in 1813, and oriented around concealed carry.

Yeah, I at least keep reading anecdotal claims that in the "Wild West", it was not unusual for guns in town to be illegal to all but law enforcement.

In 1967, Ronald Reagan signed a broad gun control law into effect in California because the Black Panthers were open-carrying and saying they would use their guns in self defense.  Reagan said: I see "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and the new law "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."  The bill was strongly supported by the NRA, which didn't like the idea of black people with guns either.  Multiple states had enacted gun control laws since Reconstruction times, largely for the same reasons.   

Can you even imagine how things would have gone down in those "Open Carry" youtube videos where they basically bait and taunt police while walking around with loaded AR15s if the open carry advocates making the videos had been a bunch of black people or Middle Eastern people?

Can you even imagine how things would have gone down in those "Open Carry" youtube videos where they basically bait and taunt police while walking around with loaded AR15s if the open carry advocates making the videos had been a bunch of black people or Middle Eastern people?

Ooo I've got a good one.

How about if you took the Bundy ranch situation, and swapped the crazy white dudes for Muslims. Bunch of Muslims with loaded ARs pointed at federal law enforcement executing a search on a mosque? I'm sure Fox News and gun advocates would be staunch supporters of their right to bear arms.

Or black dudes with ARs that show up every time a cop pulls over a black person. They can sit off to the side with loaded ARs pointed at the cops, just observing and making sure nothing fishy happens. They'd be true patriots and 2nd amendment heroes.

are some of ya'll under the impression there are color lines in the right to arms?

ya do know there were black and brown at Bundy's? 

crazy has no color. :P

I think there are color lines when it comes to the reaction to the right to bear arms.

Bunch of white US citizens legally walking around crowded areas with loaded AR15s = Citizen reaction: "Oh gosh, those guys again. Eh, just ignore them"

Police reaction: "We know you guys are doing this legally just try to stay off of private property. Thanks"

Bunch of black or ME US citizens legally walking around crowded areas with loaded AR15s = Citizen reaction: "CALL THE POLICE! CALL HOMELAND SECURITY! OMG! SOMEONE SHOOT THEM! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

Police reaction: "GET YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR! NOW, OR I'LL SHOOT!"

I'm pretty sure we had gun control before 1967.

I wasn't being literal.  I wasn't saying "the only controls on guns were from the 1960s."

I was saying the modern movement for gun control, especially licensing and open carry rules, that swelled up in the 1960s began with getting guns away from the Black Panthers.  The NRA supported those laws (and drafted many of them for state legislatures).  

The NRA got new leadership and shifted its views in favor of gun rights absolutism in the 1980s and 90s, and began to push back against those laws.  

In 1967, Ronald Reagan signed a broad gun control law into effect in California because the Black Panthers were open-carrying and saying they would use their guns in self defense. Reagan said: I see "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and the new law "would work no hardship on the honest citizen." The bill was strongly supported by the NRA, which didn't like the idea of black people with guns either. Multiple states had enacted gun control laws since Reconstruction times, largely for the same reasons.

Goes back to 1934, but okay

I think there are color lines when it comes to the reaction to the right to bear arms.

Bunch of white US citizens legally walking around crowded areas with loaded AR15s = Citizen reaction: "Oh gosh, those guys again. Eh, just ignore them"

Police reaction: "We know you guys are doing this legally just try to stay off of private property. Thanks"

Bunch of black or ME US citizens legally walking around crowded areas with loaded AR15s = Citizen reaction: "CALL THE POLICE! CALL HOMELAND SECURITY! OMG! SOMEONE SHOOT THEM! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!"

Police reaction: "GET YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR! NOW, OR I'LL SHOOT!"

Where exactly were there a bunch of blacks legally open carrying and people freaked out like you indicated?

Goes back to 1934, but okay

Where exactly were there a bunch of blacks legally open carrying and people freaked out like you indicated?

I've never seen it (or at least never seen any youtube videos of it). I'm just guessing at what the difference in the reaction would likely be considering the current climate in our culture. Can you really say to me with a straight face that you believe a group of black or ME people walking down the street in a crowded area with loaded ARs would be met with anywhere near the same level of calm as a bunch of white people (as evidenced by the videos of almost exclusively white "open carry" advocates online)?

I really wish Trayvon had beat him to death.

That was a possible outcome right? He feared for his life...?

Yeah, would have been just another black kid locked up for life but I guess that's better than dead before 20.

And one fewer racist turned right wing celebrity that is literally famous (and popular) for killing a black kid. Pretty ****ing sick if you ask me. We'd be better off if it turned out a different way.

Nah. Ned from down yonder can have his guns and show his patriotism. Keep em away from Jamal and Pookie from Uptown.

Ummm.... In Oakland.   In the 1960s.  Which is why California banned open carry.

n6WBhe0.jpg

Right ... and in the last five years? So when open carry became a thing?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/aug/21/black-open-carry-activists-protest-police-brutalit/

http://www.thetrace.org/2015/08/oath-keepers-open-carry-march-ferguson/

But keep thinking it's racism

Archived