Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Time To Move On" thread

I'm skeptical. He can talk about the system all, but that could just be excuse making. I think we might've gotten burned by a one year wonder in a contract year. But him coming into camp last year injured didn't give me a good feeling about the season to come. Him being healthy might be as big a factor as anything else.

Skepticism should be a prerequisite with this team. ;)

With that said, Hatcher was not fully healthy last year, didn't get to play with Cofield much, played on a poor D, and wasn't in a system that fit his strengths. Not to mention we lacked a true nose tackle and had a rookie (who struggled pass rushing) often playing defensive end when they went with a 4 man line.

Now there's no guarantee those issues will be/are fixed, but the situation sure looks a lot better than last year - Murphy in his second year with Preston added, Paea and Knighton backed by Baker and RJF, a likely improvement in the secondary, a scheme closer to that which Hatcher excelled in, and he's healthy. There's definite reason for optimism towards Hatcher, but again, I totally get the skepticism.

With Porter gone, that is one off my list. Now I'm ready to move on from LeRibeus (I'm sorry for breaking rule but I have to include him) and Roberts. Ribs is a total bust and Roberts stinks.

I forgot about Porter.

Id like to put a 't' in his front yard and set it on fire to let him know that it's "time to leave"

Then if that doesn't work, I'll put a capital T in his yard next time to show I really mean business.

Yeah people might take that the wrong way ha ha!

Reed... Done.

Injured at OTAs and nothing written about prior. Is this not a surprise to organization? Did anyone know about offseason knee soreness?

I'm telling you all now... He'll never be there when team needs him. Cut the loses now.

I'm officially off and just counting the days until the regular season injury occurs.

SOFT

Of course in a contract year he'll play every game to sucker some team (hopefully not us) into a long term year.  During which he will have more boo boos until he has an opportunity to land another contract.  This kid loves money, not football. 

Of course in a contract year he'll play every game to sucker some team (hopefully not us) into a long term year.  During which he will have more boo boos until he has an opportunity to land another contract.  This kid loves money, not football. 

So you feel he's milking his injuries and just pretending to still be hurt?

Of course in a contract year he'll play every game to sucker some team (hopefully not us) into a long term year. During which he will have more boo boos until he has an opportunity to land another contract. This kid loves money, not football.

I don't know, that seems a little harsh. I mean, I understand the frustration with him, but without being involved in the situation, seems a pretty strong conclusion to make. Now, he absolutely could be milking it, but it also could be that he's just had bad luck and has been chomping at the bit to get back out there each time while the medical staff holds him out.

Lol, autocorrected from "the medical" to "thee ducal" - what century is this again?

Should have been gone a year+ ago:

Chris Chester - nice guy, I'm sure.  Otherwise totally self-explanatory.

Kedric Golston - he's not as bad as Chester, but still, he's the guy on the DLine who, so long as he's on the team, demonstrates that the DLine is simply not as good as we need it.

Probably should just go...:

Tracy Porter - too injured for his price.

Logan Paulsen - I like "ninja" Paulsen.  Alas, he's not a good enough blocker to make up for his pass catching limitations, and at $2M in cap, he's too expensive for a backup TE.

Josh LeRibeus - I suppose he could get one more year, still on rookie deal, but was drafted for ZBS, couldn't do that, and now likely overshadowed by Long and Kouandjio.  If you can't crack the starting lineup over Chris Chester despite having 3 years to do it...probably not good.

On thin Ice (1 year left, buddy):

Shawn Lauvao - Terrible at LG.  If he doesn't improve, can we slide him to RG, where he played well in CLE?  Probably not if Long can do it.  He gets a year, then he probably gets replaced by Kouandjio or someone else.

Andre Roberts - Terrible last year.  His job goes to Crowder sooner rather than later if he doesn't play crazy good this year.

Perry Riley - Borderline guy.  He has his role, and played in that role he can do decently, but he's so limited.  He's like a worse Brandon Spikes.

Like the player, but I've got a cap to maneuver around:

ONE OF: Pierre Garcon OR DeSean Jackson - the two of them cost us 20M combined next year.  Between them and RGIII, that's 35M for 3 players who combined, are not giving us close to 35M production.  Now, keep 1, they get 1200 yards?  That's worth around 25M for that duo.

Wearing just a tad thin (not 1 year, but probably not here in 2017 if no major turnaround):

RGIII - option taken, so here through 2016, but no guarantees beyond that, nor should there be.  Need 2012 version (or better new version) before longer term.

Jordan Reed - Like Riley, borderline guy.  Talent there, but too injured too often.  Needs to log like 28 games over the next two years or else he's probably more trouble than he's worth.

David Amerson - One bad year doesn't make me want to cut him.  But if he doesn't recover, probably not worth keeping around beyond rookie deal.

Keeping a close eye on you (in a manner that doesn't really fit elsewhere):

D-Hall - great guy, but injured knee that he re-injured?  Wrong side of 30?  Alarm bells going off.

Kory Lichtensteiger - Decent center, but age is becoming a concern, and he's a solid starter, but hardly irreplaceable.

And this doesn't include guys who are good but otherwise are likely not long for this team (Hatcher, Knighton, etc.)

Hall injured his Achilles, not his knee.

Oops, my mistake. Been seeing ACLs everywhere, got them on the brain.

Same point still stands. Wrong side of 30 with that kind of injury, one has to be watched closely. Hall's speed is a very important part of his game. How well he'd perform if he lost a full step is tough to gauge but factors weigh against him.

If Amerson had played better, I'd probably move him up in terms of release urgency post acquisition of Culliver, but he still has a place here, assuming he can remain close to his old self or quickly take up a new role.

His salary will have to come into consideration if he proves to be a bit worse for the wear though.

Goldston = Thrash = Doughty.

They are all great guys, supremely hard workers, great locker room guys, and smart players.

Who all happen to be physically limited.

Coaches love them because they know where they are supposed to be, practice hard, help teammates, set a good example, and are never in trouble. To some extent, they are like a security blanket.

Opponents love them because they aren't going to beat you.

I'd think that SM will be more likely than a coach in charge (Gibbs, Shanahan/Haslett/Gruden) to figure out if Goldston has enough talent to contribute. And if not, replace him.

I have always liked him and his effort. But he's facing an up hill battle to make it to year 10.

Goldston = Thrash = Doughty.

They are all great guys, supremely hard workers, great locker room guys, and smart players.

Who all happen to be physically limited.

Coaches love them because they know where they are supposed to be, practice hard, help teammates, set a good example, and are never in trouble. To some extent, they are like a security blanket.

Opponents love them because they aren't going to beat you.

I'd think that SM will be more likely than a coach in charge (Gibbs, Shanahan/Haslett/Gruden) to figure out if Goldston has enough talent to contribute. And if not, replace him.

I have always liked him and his effort. But he's facing an up hill battle to make it to year 10.

Good points. I'll add though, that the guys you mention excel(led) at teams. If Golston sticks, I think it'll likely be more for that reason than consistently (below?) average play. I think maybe Hayward fits that bill too.

Good points. I'll add though, that the guys you mention excel(led) at teams. If Golston sticks, I think it'll likely be more for that reason than consistently (below?) average play. I think maybe Hayward fits that bill too.

Hayward is our ST captain and not going anywhere, anytime soon.

I wish we could replace Golston with Carriker.

I agree that they tended to do well on Special Teams.  However, Doughty was out there a lot as a safety, and so was Thrash.  Some of that was due to injury, but not all of it.

I really think that a lot of it is comfort.  Coaches like guys who know what they are doing and where they are supposed to be, rather than guys who might be physically better, but don't have the experience.  

GMs force coaches to go with something that is uncomfortable, until it becomes comfortable.

Since Casserly was fired (and I don't think he's really all that anyway), essentially we've had the coach making the call until this year, with the exception of the 2 Spurrier and Zorn years.  Marty, Gibbs, Shanahan, and essentially Gruden, all made the decisions on who they wanted to keep.  (And during the Spurrier and Zorn years the guy calling the shops would be out-whitted by a gnat with a learnign disability.)  Allen didn't force Gruden's hand.  

Whereas now, SM will provide a longer term view, and will force the coaches to take players they might not be comfortable with, and then deal with it. Which is good.  The coaches might not love it, but that's ok.  

This isn't the right thread for what I want to say/ask.  But, after searching, I couldn't find the thread I am looking for.  I will try to make it fit here. 

I have been getting the NFL Ticket for years, since I live outside of the DMV area.  I finally have enough band width to stream games via the internet, so I am wondering what people think about watching over the Internet.  Can you pause the game, tape it and watch it at a later date? 

So, is it time to move on from DirecTV and switch to watching over the Internet?

Also, the thread I was looking for was the where people posted the deals they are getting from DirecTV on the NFL ticket.  Where is that thread.  It is the time of year to start calling and asking for discounts.

Our 4th round draft pick: Jamison Crowder because of this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/04/washington-aware-of-alleged-domestic-violence-incident-involving-jamison-crowder/

Sure, we can't include coaches in that.  I'd pick one Jay Gruden; if we could include coaches.

Wait for a little more info/confirmation, but if it turns out to be true. Yeah, agreed. If not cut... suspended.

Archived