Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haszard County: The official '15 OTA's/Camp Twitter thread, Duke & the Schreff, Boss Hog!

SWFLSkins

I want football in LA. 

I don't have a vested interest, but many of the points people make as why the Rams and Raiders left are not reasons why an NFL franchise (or two) could not survive their today. Today its about luxury sky boxes, corporate sponsors, corporate ticket holders, PSLs, and a right sized stadium could easily generate more then enough revenue to support a team, if not make worth more than half the teams in the league. i'm fairly certain that Stan Kroenke is full aware of this which is why he's making such a strong play to make it happen.

I grew up an L.A. Rams fan, and I can tell you, franchise removal is the worst thing that happens in pro sports.  It's ridiculous that the league is so short-sighted and mis-motivated about it, but what's always been inconceivable to me is how "fans" (say, those in St. Louis, e.g.) can support a team that was taken from its fans in another city, as if it were their own.  Then they can't understand losing the team back, after having enabled the whole process.  It's like the guy who marries a girl who cheated on her husband to be with him, then he's shocked when she does it to him. 

This should be a concern for EVERY football fan.  No fan should ever support a removed franchise. Neither should the league nor the media be so readily accepting of it.

From a legal perspective, it can at least be claimed ownership engaged in false advertising when marketing a team as intrinsically connected to a city (The "Baltimore Orioles," e.g.).

If an owner wants to move, they should at least be forced to leave the name/uniforms/colors with the original city, so it can be revived a la the Cleveland Browns. 

This is why i hate both the Minnesota Twins & Texas Rangers. Toss in the asshole owner in Baltimore for helping to keep baseball away from DC & you have the trifecta of sports teams I hope never, ever win. 

Disagree on the LA not supporting football market gibberish. There have been many an article written, & many peronal testaments to how incorrect that notion is. I still remember the worst Rams seasons having higher official attendance numbers than some Skins games i've seen of late. People have been absolutely depressed about no football in LA for years...so much so that many unfortunate souls moved on to becoming 9ers or Chargers fans out of loyalty to CA...or worse...Pukes fans by the bus load for those so in love with the idea that they run TC in Oxnard.

The Inglewood Stadium is being built with train/bus access, & is much better located to deal with large traffic. The Carson site...not so much. Good thing for me is that the Inglewood site is practically in my back yard.

Also think the "have better things to do" concept is well overblown. Though there are many millions who are casual as they come, & only care to shell out the money to see a contender....there are also plenty just like myself who are passionate fans that are squarely focused on sports.

I think the main difference may be that people who live/commute/survive in a city such as LA aren't so much bored by failure....it's that when you consider the cost of living, & the impact of monetary value of each individual item pitted against the need to stretch your dollar as far as possible, failure becomes unacceptable. I become burdened with a decision of "should i spend my hard-earned $200 on the game for this losing team, or should i use that money to relieve some stress in a more productive, & effective manner?" etc....

I think also, that LA & really CA as a whole community really embraces the effect of consumer rights. We embrace more active boycotts of products or companies than most states, & are generally more progressive in terms of consumer vigilance. This, in turn, necessitates that if you are peddling a faulty, or defunct product....i will refuse to enable you with my coin. This holds true for an NFL, NHL, NBA, or MLB franchise. It has less to do with boredom, & more to do with principle.

Having choices or options doesn't make Angelinos dispassionate, or distracted....instead, these other distractions help to give us more tools that enable us to more actively, & readily seek out other competing forms of entertainment that will more valuably produce the desired results.

What the other fan bases have done in the past to support ill gotten teams might be seen as admirable by some, but i see as foolhardy enabling. Willing giving a franchise owning billionaire more money (Packers excluded because of the nature of their ownership) when you are displeased with the product on the field is not going to do anything besides make him/her more money. It is no nobler than openly complaining about the food, & service of a restaurant, & then continually going there because you don't have a better option.

I tire of the fallacy of the dispassionate LA fan. Sure...maybe i'm some woe begotten outlier who really belongs elsewhere. G_d knows i've tried.

I prefer to think that people outside of any major city tend to make general stereotypical observations that hold next to no water against the reality of the situation.

Between this misconception & the "i hear everyone in LA is fake." Ugh...if i never heard either one again it would be too soon.

:: gets down from soap box ::

plastic people are still people too....

Broken down: 

-8 million were rage-infested tirades on a particular player, coach, or FO member

-1 million were rage-infested tirades on Snyder

-500,000 were rage-infested tirades on the media.

-400,000 were rage-infested tirades on various issues in the tailgate.

-95,000 were rage-infested tirades on other teams.

-4,995 were rage-infested tirades on each other (ES members).

-5 posts were intellectually-refined and an attempt at enlightened discourse. The posters who made those post's whereabouts are unknown at this time. 

Can we also get a count of how many of those 10MILLION posts began and ended with a "Hi there wave.gif" ? 

Gotta be at least 3-4MILLION there alone.

-4,995 were rage-infested tirades on each other (ES members).

All mine.  :lol:

...not some dank dome next to a polluted river. The hands up don't shoot campaign should work just as fine in So Cal as it has in St. Louis... The Cardinals will always have lion share there...And since the Raiders are one of football's pillars, they at least deserve to play football somewhere that's not a dump. Getting an upgrade to a new stadium would be a nice gesture to help bring them back from the brink. And they sure as hell aint getting that in Oakland.

That is true. The Cardinals and the Blues take 1st place a long way before the Rams. The NFL was trying to fix a mistake they made when they took the Cardinals (NFL) away and shipped them to Arizona.

As far as moving Oakland to LA, AGAIN, they realized it was a mistake the first time and moved back to Oakland. They should stay there at this point. They're not getting anything by moving to LA. The Rams, on the other hand, might actually see a rise in attendance. The same could be said of Jacksonville.

...but what's always been inconceivable to me is how "fans" (say, those in St. Louis, e.g.) can support a team that was taken from its fans in another city, as if it were their own.  Then they can't understand losing the team back, after having enabled the whole process...No fan should ever support a removed franchise. Neither should the league nor the media be so readily accepting of it...If an owner wants to move, they should at least be forced to leave the name/uniforms/colors with the original city, so it can be revived a la the Cleveland Browns. 

Technically speaking, the Skins were a team that was moved from another city. Sure it was a long time ago, but the same can be said of any team that moves. Eventually, people will forget and no one will care, just like the Rams who moved from Cleveland in the first place. Or the Lakers, assuming moving any sports team is equal.  Shoot, most of the fans in professional sports would be without a team if we all boycotted teams who'd transferred elsewhere.

I do agree that the owner should be forced to leave the mascot, name, and colors with the city for future expansion, you know, in case the NFL decides they made a mistake.

...Also think the "have better things to do" concept is well overblown....i will refuse to enable you with my coin. This holds true for an NFL, NHL, NBA, or MLB franchise. It has less to do with boredom, & more to do with principle....support ill gotten teams might be seen as admirable by some, but i see as foolhardy enabling....

I tire of the fallacy of the dispassionate LA fan.

This sounds like you're arguing against "dispassionate fans" and then just making excuses for why fans are dispassionate when their team sucks. Sorry, but you are completely right, in that LA has a TON of successful sports teams to see. Even the Clippers have been pretty good of late. So, when the Rams come back and continue to suck, I can't see the NFL NOT regretting the move, for the exact reasons you stated. People have better options than to watch a losing football team. Even the Rams had huge fan support when they were going to the playoffs all the time. Doesn't mean you're a passionate fan base. Now, St Louis has to give away tickets so they don't get blacked out.

Now initially, if they hadn't had the Raiders to compete with in the first place, then maybe they would never have left. 

St Louis is a baseball town, LA is a basketball town. Not to say it can't be a successful franchise, but if the team sucks no one is there. Same thing happened to the Clippers. The Lakers are the only ones who are immune to that. 

Personally, I think a team somewhere in the south (like Alabama) would do great. And there's the bonus that Jerry Jones would be pissed. :D

As always, but had to post that somewhere haha. Too early for it's own thread, but never too early to chat prospects in general.

Put it in the current one. We did that in years past. I remember the 2012 one went for weeks after the draft. No harm in getting a jump start. 

There's got to be some itchy trigger fingers out there for some folks to post about Joey Bosa.

Then in ten months time for them to point the previous May when they called their shot.  

I did some traveling around Europe about 15 years ago and was shocked at how many Redskin fans I encountered. Maybe it was because I'm a fan but they seem to far outnumber other team's fans.

15 years ago yep - mainly fans of my vintage who srtarted watching the NFL in the early 80's when it was first shown on TV over here. Now? Not so much, Patriots are the most popular team over here in the UK at least now as per surveys. Still a hard core of Redskins fans over here though keeping the flame alight.

If an owner wants to move, they should at least be forced to leave the name/uniforms/colors with the original city, so it can be revived a la the Cleveland Browns.

You do know that if this was the case, there'd be no Washington Redskins...right?

The name would still be in Boston

Bubba's Redskins Breaking News has been updated, also the missing links fixed, sorry for that, I was rushing to get done and out of town for family outing.

Redskins OTA to-do list: Safety http://ow.ly/Nostv  #RedskinsTalk

CF27KT9WIAAXIWK.jpg

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 32m32 minutes ago

Sunrise in Corolla, NC. That’s where I am, check out @TarikCSN for #Redskins OTAs coverage. C U next week!

CF7SjnrWoAAk4hG.jpg

Tarik El-Bashir @TarikCSN 31m31 minutes ago

@Rich_TandlerCSN That's just off Loudoun County Parkway, right?

Tarik El-Bashir @TarikCSN 33m33 minutes ago

Today's #Redskins OTA practice is open to media, so there will be updates in the early afternoon.

Tarik El-Bashir @TarikCSN 34m34 minutes ago

Today is the first day of #Redskins OTAs in Ashburn. There will be 3 sessions over the next 3 weeks: May 26-28, June 2-4 and June 8-11.

for a little humor this morn

You had one job @_youhadonejob 18h18 hours ago

The perfect flowchart.

CF3d6JZXIAAY6o8.jpg

Heavy, heavy fuel.

Last time I was sober, man I felt bad

How does that old saying go......  I feel sorry for folks that don't drink, when they wake up in the morning that's the best they will feel all day.

Cardinals were originally Chicago, not St Louis.

Win a bet at a sports bar... Cardinals are NFLs oldest franchise. 1898

who did they play?  LOL

Mike Jones @MikeJonesWaPo 17m17 minutes ago

Redskins hit the field for offseason practices today. And it's also Mailbag day. Email Mike.jones@washpost.com w subject "Mailbag question"

Washington Redskins @Redskins 3m3 minutes ago

Legendary wrestling announcer Jim Ross remembers #Redskins LT @TrentW71's Oklahoma career. http://redsk.in/1EuMzIV 

CF7i5kkVIAAAGfN.jpg

NFL @nfl 4m4 minutes ago

ICYMI: 2015 projected starting lineups for ALL 32 NFL teams (via @AroundTheNFL) http://at.nfl.com/G4wxbDY 

CF7i0ebWgAIVYv6.jpg

1. Good morning, heading out for some #wheatgrass #72

I am from across the pond in England as many of

you know, but you might not know that I have been a member of the Washington Redskins UK Surporters

Club for going on 12 years . We currently have over

500 members and it keeps growing. Plus there are 100 ' s

of Redskins fans who are not in the club which is not

bad at all .

Mark,

How do I go about joining and what's involved? I've tried finding out about the club in the past with no success.

I'd like to see the Rams go back to L.A. where they belong.  The Chargers need to stay in S.D.  The Raiders need to stay in Oakland.  I'd like to see Jacksonville move to St. Louis.  Their owner is from Southern Illinois which would put the team closer to him. If all this happens, there is no need for any team to change divisions.

You do know that if this was the case, there'd be no Washington Redskins...right?

The name would still be in Boston

And if they were still in Boston, there never would have been a $36M cap penalty. Goodell would have taken Maras ruling "under advisement." Eff you John Mara, Eff you Roger Goodell, oh and just for good fun...eff you Tom Brady and your New England Redskins.

And if they were still in Boston, there never would have been a $36M cap penalty. Goodell would have taken Maras ruling "under advisement." Eff you John Mara, Eff you Roger Goodell, oh and just for good fun...eff you Tom Brady and your New England Redskins.

Lol ok...ya just need to let the past die on this one.

Brian McNally @bmcnally14 3m3 minutes ago

OTAs begin today. Plenty of content coming from #Redskins Park as we get to chat with the players afterward and coach Jay Gruden.

Ryan Clark @Realrclark25 12m12 minutes ago

It's a great day to be alive!! Just finished a 6 am workout w/ the little dude. Now stuffing him full of Waffle House & headed to the crib!

Ryan Clark @Realrclark25 3m3 minutes ago

My son weighs 130 he can eat what he wants. I just buy it!!! I didn't say I ate RT @damienwoody: so u basically wasted your workout? Lol

I've come to realize the cap penalty law of unintended consequences probably gave this team a greater advantage than anything I can think of in about the last 10 years.

We didn't get straddled with bust FAs, we made the playoffs and little did most of us know our visionless GM probably was harnessed to an advantage.

On principle, yea I still feel BS. But on a team effect, we looked to have benefited IMO.

Archived