Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is God?

Dan T.

Simple question.  I would like to hear answers.  Most religions personify God. Does God exist in a corporeal sense?  Then who is God?  Where is he (or she)?  I would like specifics about this entity on which entire masses of humanity shape their very existence.

Allah allah in come free.

Simple question.  I would like to hear answers.  Most religions personify God. Does God exist in a corporeal sense?  Then who is God?  Where is he (or she)?  I would like specifics about this entity on which entire masses of humanity shape their very existence.

Allah allah in come free.

Not "what", but "who?"

Historically you have statements such as:

The Baptist Confession of Faith of 1689 - http://founders.org/library/bcf/bcf-2/

The Westminster Confession of Faith - http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_with_proofs/

The Belgic Confession of 1561 also offers a simple definition - We all believe in our hearts and confess with our mouths that there is a single and simple spiritual being, whom we call God -- eternal, incomprehensible, invisible, unchangeable, infinite, almighty; completely wise, just, and good, and the overflowing source of all good.

And currently:

Article II of the Southern Baptist Faith and Message (2000)

http://www.sbc.net/bfm2000/bfm2000.asp

There is one and only one living and true God. He is an intelligent, spiritual, and personal Being, the Creator, Redeemer, Preserver, and Ruler of the universe. God is infinite in holiness and all other perfections. God is all powerful and all knowing; and His perfect knowledge extends to all things, past, present, and future, including the future decisions of His free creatures. To Him we owe the highest love, reverence, and obedience. The eternal triune God reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, with distinct personal attributes, but without division of nature, essence, or being.

A. God the Father

God as Father reigns with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and the flow of the stream of human history according to the purposes of His grace. He is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and all wise. God is Father in truth to those who become children of God through faith in Jesus Christ. He is fatherly in His attitude toward all men.

Genesis 1:1; 2:7; Exodus 3:14; 6:2-3; 15:11ff.; 20:1ff.; Leviticus 22:2; Deuteronomy 6:4; 32:6; 1 Chronicles 29:10; Psalm 19:1-3; Isaiah 43:3,15; 64:8; Jeremiah 10:10; 17:13; Matthew 6:9ff.; 7:11; 23:9; 28:19; Mark 1:9-11; John 4:24; 5:26; 14:6-13; 17:1-8; Acts 1:7; Romans 8:14-15; 1 Corinthians 8:6; Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 4:6; Colossians 1:15; 1 Timothy 1:17; Hebrews 11:6; 12:9; 1 Peter 1:17; 1 John 5:7.

B. God the Son

Christ is the eternal Son of God. In His incarnation as Jesus Christ He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. Jesus perfectly revealed and did the will of God, taking upon Himself human nature with its demands and necessities and identifying Himself completely with mankind yet without sin. He honored the divine law by His personal obedience, and in His substitutionary death on the cross He made provision for the redemption of men from sin. He was raised from the dead with a glorified body and appeared to His disciples as the person who was with them before His crucifixion. He ascended into heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God where He is the One Mediator, fully God, fully man, in whose Person is effected the reconciliation between God and man. He will return in power and glory to judge the world and to consummate His redemptive mission. He now dwells in all believers as the living and ever present Lord.

Genesis 18:1ff.; Psalms 2:7ff.; 110:1ff.; Isaiah 7:14; 53; Matthew 1:18-23; 3:17; 8:29; 11:27; 14:33; 16:16,27; 17:5; 27; 28:1-6,19; Mark 1:1; 3:11; Luke 1:35; 4:41; 22:70; 24:46; John 1:1-18,29; 10:30,38; 11:25-27; 12:44-50; 14:7-11; 16:15-16,28; 17:1-5, 21-22; 20:1-20,28; Acts 1:9; 2:22-24; 7:55-56; 9:4-5,20; Romans 1:3-4; 3:23-26; 5:6-21; 8:1-3,34; 10:4; 1 Corinthians 1:30; 2:2; 8:6; 15:1-8,24-28; 2 Corinthians 5:19-21; 8:9; Galatians 4:4-5; Ephesians 1:20; 3:11; 4:7-10; Philippians 2:5-11; Colossians 1:13-22; 2:9; 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18; 1 Timothy 2:5-6; 3:16; Titus 2:13-14; Hebrews 1:1-3; 4:14-15; 7:14-28; 9:12-15,24-28; 12:2; 13:8; 1 Peter 2:21-25; 3:22; 1 John 1:7-9; 3:2; 4:14-15; 5:9; 2 John 7-9; Revelation 1:13-16; 5:9-14; 12:10-11; 13:8; 19:16.

C. God the Holy Spirit

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, fully divine. He inspired holy men of old to write the Scriptures. Through illumination He enables men to understand truth. He exalts Christ. He convicts men of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He calls men to the Saviour, and effects regeneration. At the moment of regeneration He baptizes every believer into the Body of Christ. He cultivates Christian character, comforts believers, and bestows the spiritual gifts by which they serve God through His church. He seals the believer unto the day of final redemption. His presence in the Christian is the guarantee that God will bring the believer into the fullness of the stature of Christ. He enlightens and empowers the believer and the church in worship, evangelism, and service.

Genesis 1:2; Judges 14:6; Job 26:13; Psalms 51:11; 139:7ff.; Isaiah 61:1-3; Joel 2:28-32; Matthew 1:18; 3:16; 4:1; 12:28-32; 28:19; Mark 1:10,12; Luke 1:35; 4:1,18-19; 11:13; 12:12; 24:49; John 4:24; 14:16-17,26; 15:26; 16:7-14; Acts 1:8; 2:1-4,38; 4:31; 5:3; 6:3; 7:55; 8:17,39; 10:44; 13:2; 15:28; 16:6; 19:1-6; Romans 8:9-11,14-16,26-27; 1 Corinthians 2:10-14; 3:16; 12:3-11,13; Galatians 4:6; Ephesians 1:13-14; 4:30; 5:18; 1 Thessalonians 5:19; 1 Timothy 3:16; 4:1; 2 Timothy 1:14; 3:16; Hebrews 9:8,14; 2 Peter 1:21; 1 John 4:13; 5:6-7; Revelation 1:10; 22:17.

So god is a "spiritual being" who is everywhere, all-knowing, all-powerful, and good. He is spiritual, like a ghost.  But he is also "living."  And we believe this because it was written in the Bible. 

We owe him our obedience.  Yet what are we to obey except what man interprets as The Word?  There's the rub, and the source of too much strife in this world of competing religions. 

So god is a "spiritual being" who is everywhere, all-knowing, all-powerful, and good. He is spiritual, like a ghost.  But he is also "living."  And we believe this because it was written in the Bible. 

We owe him our obedience.  Yet what are we to obey except what man interprets as The Word?  There's the rub, and the source of too much strife in this world of competing religions. 

I'll just say this, the Bible is the one book that people come from the most. For as many parts of it that people found holes in it, I have seen just as many findings from it that no one could refute.

But it's a book that will always be the point of debate. Shoot, even Christians go HAM on each other when it comes to how to interpret certain Bible scriptures and whatnot.

So if you ask me personally, I can't tell you with 100% certainty that the Bible was 100% inspired by God. I don't think anybody can claim that (but that's when faith comes in).

All that being said, not speaking for anybody else, I can't recall a time when I was going through something and didn't find something in the Bible that helped me get through it. And we're talking about that is somewhere between 1900 to 3400 years old.

Not "what", but "who?"

This in and of itself is interesting. Characterizing God thusly removes the explanation that God is love, which is a notion I tried to hold onto for a time in reconciling faith and practicality, or that God is anything other than an actual being. Where does this corporeal entity exist?

And BTW, Zguy28, thanks for the time taken on your response to the OP. I do appreciate it.

To ask the question in the first place is the definition of hubris.

Inherently unknowable.  Presupposing God's (or Gods') existence, if these questions were answerable then he/she/it/they would not be divine

I'll just say this, the Bible is the one book that people come from the most. For as many parts of it that people found holes in it, I have seen just as many findings from it that no one could refute.

So if you ask me personally, I can't tell you with 100% certainty that the Bible was 100% inspired by God. I don't think anybody can claim that (but that's when faith comes in).

All that being said, not speaking for anybody else, I can't recall a time when I was going through something and didn't find something in the Bible that helped me get through it. And we're talking about that is somewhere between 1900 to 3400 years old.

No disputes there.

Though, other than the publication date, I've heard similar testimonials for "Chicken Soup for the Soul."

To ask the question in the first place is the definition of hubris.

Inherently unknowable.  Presupposing God's (or Gods') existence, if these questions were answerable then he/she/it/they would not be divine

See, it's that circular logic, along with a dash of condescension sprinkled in, that turns so many people off of religion.

See, it's that circular logic, along with a dash of condescension sprinkled in, that turns so many people off of religion.

It led me to healthy agnosticism.  Which is maybe the same thing as turning people off religion, from a certain point of view. 

If God exists, I wouldn't presume to think I know what God wants or expects of me.  Or to assume that anything is wanted or expected at all.  Or that I matter more to God than a blade of grass.  But that's just me.  In some respects I envy people who have strong faith.  But I'm not going to be dishonest with myself and go through the motions on the chance that they're right.  Somehow I don't think God would be fooled :)

Ursula Andress in a white bikini in 1962's Dr No.

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

- 2 Corinthians 10:13

2-Ursula-Andress.jpg

It led me to healthy agnosticism.  Which is maybe the same thing as turning people off religion, from a certain point of view. 

If God exists, I wouldn't presume to think I know what God wants or expects of me.  Or to assume that anything is wanted or expected at all.  Or that I matter more to God than a blade of grass.  But that's just me.  In some respects I envy people who have strong faith.  But I'm not going to be dishonest with myself and go through the motions on the chance that they're right.  Somehow I don't think God would be fooled :)

I read your first post as quite rude, but now that you've clarified I completely understand.

And agree with you.

Which is why I also find myself in the state of being agnostic...

What is God?

I don't know, but I kind of hope he's not what a lot of people have been trying to convince me he is. I would hope he cares about how we actually treat people, including motives and intentions we presume are only known to us. I would hope he cares about nothing more.

I would hope he laughs at some of the silly things people say are supposed to be about him, and cries at some of the truly awful things people say/do in his name.

I would hope he lacks the control, for whatever reason, to stop some of the horrid things that occur. if not, I would never be able to forgive him.

I would hope he understands why someone like me looks at the various organized religions of the world and simply says "No thanks." Hell, I kind of hope he would agree with me...

On a side note, I recently was researching the history of "agnosticism".

It was a word invented by Huxley to describe himself as ignorant.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/reason/agnosticism/agnostic.html

If there is someone or something pulling the strings, which I grant is a possibility, it's a form of alien life or consciousness.  From our perspective it would seem omnipotent but from it's own it might not be.  Maybe it's a collection of consciousnesses like changelings in DS9.  Could be anything really, there's so much we don't know yet. I love that. 

Whatever it is It would be every bit as much a product of the universe and the laws governing it as we are.  A bunch of them that we haven't figured out of course.  Stupid Prometheus movie makes me think of the big statue guys throwing the seeds of life into a stream. While I wish I didn't have that mental image of it, that's the sort of all powerful being I imagine in terms of knowledge beyond ours.

Maybe not quite so violent though?  If it cares, I hope it likes us (me) regardless.   :D

No offense to the pious, but the thought of a God like some religions describe just seems a little upsurd. And mine is more fun to think about. 

Interesting topic, something I've thought a lot about.

I'll start by saying that the traditional definition of God is very problematic.

God's omnipotence (all-powerfulness). This notion must require qualification. Consider: Can God create a rock so heavy he can't lift it? Can God will himself out of existence? Can God make square circles? Can God make 2+2=5? A typical response here is to limit God's power to logical possibilities.

God's omniscience (all-knowingness). Does this include knowledge of the future? If so, then that seems to undermine our notion of free will and moral responsibility. If God already knows everything I will do, that is if my life is already written out in God's plan, then what I do is not up to me, and if what I do is not up to me, then I cannot be held responsible for what I do. So to avoid this implication maybe we want to say that God's omniscience doesn't include knowledge of the future.

God's impassiveness (unfeelingness) and immutability (unchangingness). If this is so, then we cannot say God is loving or angry, unless you can explain how love or anger can be had without feeling. Further God's impassiveness makes nonsense of the custom of prayer (it's not like you can have any influence on an impassive being).

This last point is also a problem for God's omniscience. What could you tell God in prayer that he doesn't already know?

God's omnibenevolence (all-goodness) is also dubious. The problem of evil is the classic demonstration:

1. An omnipotent being could prevent undeserved suffering (e.g. childhood cancer).

2. An omnibenevolent being would prevent undeserved suffering.

3. Undeserved suffering exists.

4. Therefore there is no omnipotent and omnibenevolent being.

So if there is a god, he cannot be both all-good and all-powerful.

One approach to solving these sorts of problems is to define God in a more coherent and plausible way. I'm partial to the process theologians who define God as "creative responsive love." God, on this picture, is in a co-creative process with his creatures. There is a good deal to be said for this characterization, but it is a drastic departure from tradition.

Food for thought, I'm sure I'll have more to add later once I catch up on my grading.

Archived