Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

44 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

the geography of this area makes it very hard for hurricanes of this level to come up the coast. 

I know. The times, they are a changing though.

34 minutes ago, PCS said:

Good to see you up and at 'em. 

We dodged a major bullet. Last second wobble north and we've become the only small island in the northern leeward's with buildings still standing.

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stroker, that's Andrew vs Irma?

Yes.

Essentially, southern FL hasn't seen a storm like this since 1992.

The bad news is that this is a larger storm than Andrew, with a larger area of extreme sustained winds. 

The good news is that Irma showed her cards all along, so preparation started early.  Andrew rapidly grew in to a cat 5, and hit FL 2 days later.

Right now, Irma is technically a Cat 4, but by 1 mph. It's starting to catch good chunks of land now.

Central Cuba has its moment start late tonight.

Southern Florida has its moment start Saturday night.

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

Any reports from Turks and Caicos?

My wife and I honeymooned there nearly 7 years ago and I have a soft spot for the island.  Hope the destruction isn't too severe.  Not too hopeful though.

Not yet. I'll post when I do. Those are some low laying islands and irma's surge is her strength. Scary ****.

24 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

TWC is giving ready.ga.gov as an info site...there's nothing there, folks.  The latest press release on the site is from June, I think.  Stay tuned to other forms of media. :angry:

Well TWC kept saying Irma might affect America, as it plowed into the "US"VI and PR. Assholes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey y'all. I'm still without power and hearing Jose is now a cat 4, with Lee behind it. 

I've heard jose won't make landfall, but that doesnt always include us.

Any updates ?

Jose - Category 4 unfortunately...but tracking north of you at the moment

image.thumb.png.209d20133357c69074b64d98d3b44199.png

image.thumb.png.f9d9b5835821e0b24b36fbfc34c735e1.png

Edited by Grumpy Vet
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey y'all. I'm still without power and hearing Jose is now a cat 4, with Lee behind it. 

I've heard jose won't make landfall, but that doesnt always include us.

Any updates ?

Yes, Jose is a Cat 4 and might clip some of the northern isles but generally a fish storm.

No Lee yet. Not even an organized tropical wave to produce a Lee.

• Like 1

I made it up ATL in 16 hours and now headed to western Tennessee. Huge thanks and appreciation to skinsmarydu and Riggo-Toni for being simply amazing and thoughtful in these difficult times of need. When we meet at a Skins game, your tabs are on me! We are blessed. Stay safe everyone and I'm praying I have a house to go back to.

• Like 12

Today is the anniversary massive category 4 hurricane that plowed into the Texas gulf coast at Galveston and flattened the city.  Weather watchers had essentially lost track of the storm in 1900, assuming it veered north after plowing through the Carribbean, so the people of Texas were unprepared for its devastation.  Estimates of fatalities from the storm range as high as 12,000 souls.  It remains the single deadliest natural disaster in U.S. history. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

https://www.facebook.com/turksandcaicosweatherinfo/

On a personal note,(and random "thoughted" the first part of this the other night),my oldest nephew is in the Navy and stationed in Florida. They got orders that essentially have them on a humanitarian mission in the Caribbean coming up. They sailed North a few days ago. My niece and the two kids,(boy and girl),evacuated and headed to Alabama,(near Ozark). Got to the hotel and they were kind enough to,of course,double the room rate that was originally quoted her and demanded pay up front. Arrangements made and bill taken care of courtesy of my brother. Niece is still mad and calls the corporate office of the hotel and expresses here displeasure. The very next morning,(yesterday),she and the kids are booted from the hotel. Frantic calls to hotels in area by my brother are made and he finds the last room available at the Holiday Inn at the Montgomery airport. They get her in to the room,hook up the boy's PS4 and give her and the kids complimentary dinner and dessert. Needless to say,the corporate office of the previous hotel received a phone call from a very irate Grandma. Alls good with them and we're beginning to have a field day with that hotel on social media. 

Back to the hurricane. 

8.0+ earthquake in mexico. ocean receded 50 meters, tsunami assumed inbound

CNN - Mexico's strongest earthquake in a century leaves dozens dead

At least 38 people have died after the most powerful earthquake to hit Mexico in a century struck off the southern coast.

The magnitude-8.1 quake, which was felt as far as Mexico City and Guatemala City, was registered off Mexico's southern coast just as heavy rains from Hurricane Katia lashed the east. The epicenter was in the Pacific Ocean, some 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) southeast of the capital and 74 miles (120 kilometers) off the coast.
-- A red alert was issued by the US Geological Survey (USGS) PAGER system, which predicts economic and human loss after earthquakes. "High casualties and extensive damage are probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Past red alerts have required a national or international response," it said.
-- The USGS reported multiple aftershocks, including at least six with tremors measuring above 5.0 in magnitude.
-- The quake had a depth of 69.7 kilometers (43 miles), according to the USGS, which makes it particularly shallow, said Jana Pursely, a staff geophysicist. That means more intense shaking.
-- A tsunami was confirmed in Mexico, with one wave coming in at 3 feet (1 meter), according to a tweet from the National Weather Service's Pacific Tsunami Warning Center. Tsunami waves taller than 10 feet (3 meters) could hit the coast of Mexico, while 3-foot waves could reach as far as Ecuador, New Zealand and Vanuatu, it said.

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=pacific.TSUPAC.2017.09.08.1827

calling it an 8.2 quake, tsunami threat passed.

Edited by tshile
  • Sad 1