Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Non-Winter Weather Thread

d0ublestr0ker0ll

37 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I know people like to go overboard on destruction but as someone who basically grew up studying hurricanes and twisters like a obsession my biggest worry was other hurricane hits the heart of the keys putting Miami in the right front or it hitting the gulf where it would turn into a bomb. Needless it's taking one of my bad paths. And there's nothing but warns waters between Cuba and Florida. My comment early this morning with my weather friend on social media was if the track shifted west you are looking at massive destruction. Keys absolutely destroyed. Now everyone is coming back like that is what they are predicting now. Wish I was wrong.

Miami floods from thunderstorms. This monster is going to **** it up. Crazy storm surge and winds. Not that much rain. Hoping the warm waters before Florida don't strengthen it up more.

Just saw an update on WSB-TV...they say it's gonna slow down to a cat 1/tropical storm as it comes through GA.  Predicting gusts Monday/Tuesday up to 60 mph, with some rain.  Mandatory evac in effect for areas east of I-95, and I-16 will contraflow traffic northbound/inland starting Saturday at 8 am. 

We've got some stuff to tie down this weekend, and other than some extra flashlight batteries, I think we've got everything.  Watching out for the porch kitties is my only real concern.  *and possibly trees coming down* :(

5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Just saw an update on WSB-TV...they say it's gonna slow down to a cat 1/tropical storm as it comes through GA.  Predicting gusts Monday/Tuesday up to 60 mph, with some rain.  Mandatory evac in effect for areas east of I-95, and I-16 will contraflow traffic northbound/inland starting Saturday at 8 am. 

We've got some stuff to tie down this weekend, and other than some extra flashlight batteries, I think we've got everything.  Watching out for the porch kitties is my only real concern.  *and possibly trees coming down* :(

Assuming you're off the beaten path of the eye wall a bit, where are you at again?

Sustained winds near the eye of a Cat 1 are 74-95 MPH, tropical storm sustained winds can be as low as 39 mph, but that's the lowest.  Gusts suck, but the constant wind is the signature of tropical cyclones.  A cat 1 or upper tier tropical storm hitting an area that practically never sees this sort of event will be in for a brand new experience.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Miami floods from thunderstorms. This monster is going to **** it up. Crazy storm surge and winds. Not that much rain. Hoping the warm waters before Florida don't strengthen it up more.

It amazes me how many people have the attitude, "Well, I've survived numerous hurricanes before, so I'll survive this one".

They're lulled into a false sense of security based on their past experience, by not realizing this storm doesn't even compare to anything they've ever been through.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The "good" news is that, environmental (upper air) conditions look like they won't be as perfect for Irma as they have been. So despite the warm waters, we probably will not see much more strengthening with it. Plus she'll be interacting with land which could disrupt her circulation a bit. While not necessarily weakening a storm like this, it doesn't help them. Plus she's getting long in the tooth. To sustain this much energy for this long is not easy. 

That being said she still forecast to be an absolute powerhouse by the time she comes to visit Florida. By no means should anyone take this lightly if they hear she may weaken a bit. If it happens she'll only be weakening from one of the strongest storms ever to...one of the strongest storms in decades. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Near Stone Mountain in ATL. 

That's right.  Nah man, prep as best you can for a serious continuous storm.  **** that forecast.  Even if they end up being right, this is a freak storm.

38 minutes ago, Skins24 said:

The "good" news is that, environmental (upper air) conditions look like they won't be as perfect for Irma as they have been. So despite the warm waters, we probably will not see much more strengthening with it. Plus she'll be interacting with land which could disrupt her circulation a bit. While not necessarily weakening a storm like this, it doesn't help them. Plus she's getting long in the tooth. To sustain this much energy for this long is not easy. 

That being said she still forecast to be an absolute powerhouse by the time she comes to visit Florida. By no means should anyone take this lightly if they hear she may weaken a bit. If it happens she'll only be weakening from one of the strongest storms ever to...one of the strongest storms in decades. 

Hurricane Patricia in 2015 should be considered a Cat 6 or 7 hurricane, but only killed 7 people when it hit western Mexico.  Atlantic hurricanes are, on the whole, weaker than Pacific hurricanes.  So Irma is at a disadvantage when comparing all tropical cyclones.  Hurricane Andrew in 1992 is where you have to look for a comparison.  Andrew cut through south FL from the direct west.  Irma is going zip up the body of FL.  Here is a gif fading Andrew in and out:

hurricaneirmagif.gif

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

Wife has a friend in Broward county that is riding it out because they literally could not get gas to leave. Would suck to have your choices being made for you that way.

Hang tight people, be ready to rise up afterwards and make yourself proud the way Houston et. al. had to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

the geography of this area makes it very hard for hurricanes of this level to come up the coast. 

Yep, geography is everything. 

Georgia hasn't been directly hit in nearly 100 years because of that curve in. 

North Carolina saves us by sticking out. 

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Stroker, that's Andrew vs Irma?

Good to see you up and at 'em. 

Yep. 

http://grist.org/briefly/heres-why-irma-is-a-monster-hurricane-in-one-gif/

Saw this on Facebook earlier today on a page devoted to all those generations of folks who "survived" Homestead AFB before Andrew shut it down. Know people who were there for Andrew and are now going to be there for Irma. Several of those who were there for Andrew are bugging out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

That's right.  Nah man, prep as best you can for a serious continuous storm.  **** that forecast.  Even if they end up being right, this is a freak storm.

Hurricane Patricia in 2015 should be considered a Cat 6 or 7 hurricane, but only killed 7 people when it hit western Mexico.  Atlantic hurricanes are, on the whole, weaker than Pacific hurricanes.  So Irma is at a disadvantage when comparing all tropical cyclones.  Hurricane Andrew in 1992 is where you have to look for a comparison. 

Yep, I should have specified in the Atlantic.

Even the eastern Pac hurricanes don't hold a candle to the typhoons of the western Pacific. They rule all. I don't think Tip will ever be topped (that's what she said?) 

Edited by Skins24