Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

I've seen cops go into lakes to save dogs. Homeless black guy with possible mental problems tho? Nah wouldn't wanna get my shoes wet. 😒

I believe in some areas it's police policy not to go into bodies of water to save drowning victims. Either way it's certainly not a good look to just let someone drown.

53 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And I don't think police are required to jump into bodies of water to save people (double check me).  

They're not even required to go into active shooter events. I'd just think if you're a good person and can swim you should go in after this guy.

• Thumb up 1

Yea I mean Cops do enough dangerous **** honestly. No fan of the boys in blue but how can you expect a man to jump in there to save a guy knowing it will probably drown him as well. Sorry couldn’t be me. I couldn’t be a cop tho. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

My uncle drowned in a river trying to save someone who faked drowning.  And he was a lifeguard.  It can be dangerous going into water if you're not dressed for it (granted a lake is a bit calmer than a river or the ocean).

My mom came out to visit when I was in Guam.  I took her snorkeling in the harbor and she started to panic.  She nearly drowned me just trying to get her back to the stairs.  I pretty much had to wait for her to tire herself to the point of exhaustion to get her in.  Any rescue swimmer will tell you that is pretty on par for most cases.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had the scary experience of getting my dog loose from some brush in the Rio Grande when it was flowing good.  Didn't hesitate, and couldn't have watched her die in front of me without trying to do something.  I couldn't imagine watching a person drown without trying to help anymore than I could my dog.  If they're cops patrolling a body of water they should be prepared to deal with water.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

So in addition to everything else they need to do, you now want cops to be trained lifeguards?

Long ago some departments required their officers to know how to at least swim. Might be a useful skill for someone who is sworn to protect and serve the community. Especially if ones jurisdiction has a lake, or a beach, or a river that is patrolled routinely. 🤷‍♂️

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Long ago some departments required their officers to know how to at least swim. Might be a useful skill for someone who is sworn to protect and serve the community. Especially if ones jurisdiction has a lake, or a beach, or a river that is patrolled routinely. 🤷‍♂️

See my comments above about just knowing how to swim doesn’t mean you are able to rescue someone who is drowning and could easily cause two deaths instead of one.  And I would guess (but did not look it up) that the vast majority of jurisdictions in the country have a lake, beach, or river.  I can’t think of anywhere I’ve been that there isn’t at least a small like nearby.  

And again, you want to add more to the police responsibilities?  I think they are overburdened enough already.  I think this is one of those things that sounds good until you start thinking about the details.

8 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

And again, you want to add more to the police responsibilities?  I think they are overburdened enough already.  I think this is one of those things that sounds good until you start thinking about the details.

I agree. Just pointing out there usta be a swimming requirement. Usta be a lot of requirements to be a cop. 🤷

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

Not necessarily, just to be human beings.

Human beings regularly die when trying to save other large human beings from drowning and most human beings are afraid to die. 

I mean I get it but I think this is a little too altruistic. Consider the real reason why people become cops. It’s not to save lives most times. It’s cause they need a check and there is a low bar for entry. That’s like asking a Janitor of a sports complex to jump in the deep end to save a grown man. It’s not really fair. 

1 hour ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I agree. Just pointing out there usta be a swimming requirement. Usta be a lot of requirements to be a cop. 🤷

This here is the issue. Cops need to be paid and trained to do the **** we ask them to do. Right now they ain’t and it’s hard to ask a man to maybe die because of that. 

• Thumb up 1

Yea, I'm going to ask for a better solution then a couple cops Watchung someone drown and do nothing but threaten to arrest their panicking family member.

Cops could get caught in flooding themselves, some compact floatation device standard (such as a selfinflating vest) in their vehicle doesn't sound unrealistic.  Teaching them how to be lifeguards might be.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Human beings regularly die when trying to save other large human beings from drowning and most human beings are afraid to die. 

I mean I get it but I think this is a little too altruistic. Consider the real reason why people become cops. It’s not to save lives most times. It’s cause they need a check and there is a low bar for entry. That’s like asking a Janitor of a sports complex to jump in the deep end to save a grown man. It’s not really fair. 

They do sometimes.  Sometimes they save them.  This isn't the Arctic where you die after thirty seconds.  Tempe town lake is not some wild body of water. It's in the shadow of Sundevil stadium in downtown Tempe.  It's a kids fishing lake and it's only 12' deep.  Being prepared to throw a rope or a lifesaver isn't too much to ask when you're beat is a body of water with lots of people around it.  Maybe even wade out a little.

Do something but stand there and watch.

Edited by The 12th Commandment
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

They do sometimes.  Sometimes they save them.  This isn't the Arctic where you die after thirty seconds.  Tempe town lake is not some wild body of water. It's in the shadow of Sundevil stadium in downtown Tempe.  It's a kids fishing lake and it's only 12' deep.  Being prepared to throw a rope or a lifesaver isn't too much to ask when you're beat is a body of water with lots of people around it.  Maybe even wade out a little.

Do something but stand there and watch.

Wade out a little for why?  What good is it for them to just to wade out a little?

If you don't have a rope or lifesaver, then clearly you can't throw one out.

And I'm guessing drownings in Tempe town lake are pretty rare or there would be people/equipment stationed to save people from drowning.

Cops can't be trained and prepared for everything that can happen.  And asking them to do more than they are trained and prepared for a lot of times is why we have the problems that we have.

Bad things are going to happen.  When bad things happen, 20/20 hindsight is going to point to things that people (including cops) could have done better/differently.

• Like 1

It is clear that some people didn't read the story either (having just read it).

He jumped in the water off a pedestrian bridge on PURPOSE after talking to the cops.  This seems almost like a suicide.  It isn't like he was 15 feet from the shore, got in a little too deep, and you could swim into where he could stand up.

We have cops that we have now idea how well they could swim being asked to jump into water they likely don't know how deep it is to swim this guy to who knows where.

And the cops called for a boat.  (They also apparently didn't believe he was drowning.  That's something people not trained don't understand.  People can drown even if they are able to keep their head above the water a good bit.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I guess I'm softer than y'all hardcases.  Couldn't fathom watching someone drown without trying to help.  As human being, let alone one who's job is to protect and serve.

See that’s where you made your mistake, expecting Officer Friendly to be a human being. They’re cowards who love to pass themselves off as heroes. We’ve watched them do nothing while a fellow officer suffocated someone, avoid confronting active shooters in schools no less, and now this. Yeah, pretty heroic Officer Friendly.

I took swimming lessons up to lifeguard level growing up and I remember the instructors talking about how dangerous it is to try to rescue a drowning person so I get it. However, there are other things they could have done besides jump in. Did any of them run to look for a flotation device? How about using a stick, their belts, or anything else they could improvise? No. They just stood there and dispassionately watched a man drown. Hopefully one of their loved ones drowns one day. Maybe that might teach them the value of life.
Now before those of you who want to cape for them go into back the blue mode, answer this question honestly. If it was another cop drowning like this, do you think all three of them sit there and calmly watch it happen without trying to do anything at all?

I guess we can call it progress that they didn’t shoot him.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I guess I'm softer than y'all hardcases.  Couldn't fathom watching someone drown without trying to help.  As human being, let alone one who's job is to protect and serve.

Oh, I couldn't either.  I'd jump in.  But I'm a better person than most cops.

• Thanks 1

Really those cops in Texas where the elementary school was attacked two weeks ago today, had they gone in it could had ended differently. But really their cowardice cost nineteen kids and two adults, both teachers their lives and ruined families.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1