Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Sheriff Wanted on Sexual Battery Charge Isn’t Under Arrest Because He’s ‘Participating in A Church-Sponsored Mission Trip’ Out of State: Deputies

A Georgia sheriff is wanted on sexual battery charges for allegedly groping a judge’s breast at a hotel bar late last month, but his own deputies say he’s not in custody because he’s currently on a church trip out of state.

An arrest warrant out of Cobb County, Ga., was issued last Friday, Jan. 28, 2022 for Bleckley County Sheriff Kristopher Coody.  The two counties are two and a half hours apart.

According to the Cobb County Police Department, the now-wanted sheriff was at an event in the Atlanta metropolitan area when the incident occurred on January 18th. Investigators were called to the Renaissance Atlanta Waverly the next day and told by several witnesses that Coody placed “his hand on the breast of the victim without her consent.”

In a statement, Bleckley County Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Daniel Cape provided a reason for why his boss was not yet in custody over the charge:

Bleckley County Sheriffs Office is aware of the outstanding warrant regarding Sheriff Coody. Sheriff Coody is currently participating in a church-sponsored mission trip outside of the state of Georgia, that has been scheduled for nearly a year. Sheriff Coody has been a law enforcement officer for more than two decades and has tremendous respect for our court system. He’s taking these allegations seriously and will meet with the appropriate authorities as soon as he returns. 

Click on the link for the full article

Lawsuit: Wrong man detained by West Chester police at Meijer

Two West Chester police officers and Meijer are named in a lawsuit filed by a Butler County man who alleges he was illegally detained in yet another example of a Black person being confronted by law enforcement while going about everyday life and doing nothing illegal.

In this case, Eric Lindsay of Liberty Township says he went to the Meijer store off Interstate 75 and Tylersviller Road on his way home from work Jan. 29, 2021.

He just happened to arrive at the store after a shoplifting offense, walking in behind the officers who responded to it.

Lindsay is a Black man in his 60s. He wore an orange puffy coat with a tan and brown scarf that night.

The suspect was described to police by representatives of Meijer as a white man in his 30s wearing a green or gray Carhart coat with a red hoodie underneath.

Yet police stopped Lindsay.

• Sad 1

A California Sheriff Remains Free To Rob Armored Cars Carrying Money From State-Licensed Marijuana Businesses

A federal judge this week declined to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO) against a California sheriff who used civil forfeiture to rob armored cars carrying money earned by state-licensed marijuana businesses. In his ruling, U.S. District Judge John Holcomb said Empyreal Logistics, a Pennsylvania-based company that transports cash between businesses and banks, "may very well have an excellent case on the merits" but had failed to meet "the high burden" for a TRO.

San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies stopped Empyreal vans three times in November, December, and January. They seized cash during two of the stops, making off with a total of more than $1 million, which was transferred to the FBI so the Justice Department could pursue forfeiture under federal law. If the government prevails in those forfeiture proceedings, the sheriff's department will get to keep up to 80 percent of the money under the Justice Department's "equitable sharing" program. The earnings of state-licensed marijuana suppliers are not subject to forfeiture under California law.

Empyreal, which is represented by the Institute for Justice, argues that San Bernardino County Sheriff Shannon Dicus has no authority to seize money from businesses that are complying with state law, that the van searches violated the Fourth Amendment, and that the financial motive for the stops makes them inconsistent with due process. In addition to Dicus, Empyreal sued the Justice Department, Attorney General Merrick Garland, the FBI, FBI Director Christopher Wray, the head of the FBI's Los Angeles Field Office, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and DEA Administrator Anne Milgram. The company argues that federal officials, by collaborating with Dicus, are violating a congressional spending rider that bars the Justice Department (which includes the FBI and the DEA) from interfering with the implementation of state medical marijuana laws.

Interior Department hires former top cop to review jail deaths on his watch

Darren Cruzan was teary-eyed when he delivered his retirement speech to family and colleagues at a gathering in Washington, D.C., last May. He was ending a 26-year career in federal law enforcement — more than half with the Interior Department — and was proud of his tenure as an administrator.

"If I were to go back and rewrite my entire life and career from beginning to now, I might change a few punctuation marks," he said at the time. "But the things that really mattered could have hardly worked out to be better. I really do believe greater things are still to come."

In fact, more was to come.

Less than two months after retiring, Cruzan was back on the federal payroll as a private contractor. He was hired by the very agency for whom he worked to review 16 in-custody deaths at tribal detention centers. At least two of them–and as many as 11 — happened on Cruzan's watch, according to Interior Department records.

yWb0uhQ.jpg

Death Threats Follow Brooklyn Man’s Illegal Parking Complaints to 311 and the NYPD

In retrospect, shoveling snow onto the hood of a pick-up truck blocking a Park Slope bus stop wasn’t the best decision Tony Melone made last Monday. But that provocation seems quaint compared to what followed.

“I’m gonna kill you, Melone,” an unidentified man told him over the phone an hour later — one of five threatening calls Melone would receive that day. “I’m gonna **** you and your wife,” a caller said later.

Nearly as unsettling to Melone as the threats was the question of how the caller, or callers, knew his name and phone number in the first place.

Melone had filed a 311 complaint to the NYPD earlier that day about the illegally parked truck and included his own name and number on the report. The city says it keeps that information confidential. Somehow it made its way to the furious caller.

“The 311 system is supposed to be a way for people to report problems,” Melone, 45, said later about the ordeal. “If it’s getting used to harass the people that are reporting the problems, that’s really disturbing.”

The episode fits into a broader pattern of harassment that New Yorkers have faced after filing 311 complaints to the NYPD, a pattern now under city investigation following a Streetsblog report. But the calls received by Melone were by far the most extreme of any documented by Streetsblog, as they included death threats and violent and vulgar references to Melone’s wife and children, according to Melone, who shared recordings of the calls with Streetsblog.

The truck’s owner, who gave his name only as Don, said in an interview that he had not made the threatening calls and didn’t know who did. But he had little sympathy for Melone, whose shoveling, Don said, cracked his truck’s windshield.

“He deserves everything he gets. I think death threats is a bit extreme. But if he gets an ass-whooping, he gets an ass-whooping,” Don said. 

Melone’s 311 complaint on Jan. 31 was one of a dozen he’s filed about the gray Lincoln pick-up truck over the past year — all for parking illegally in front of bus stops and hydrants or on pedestrian islands around Ninth Street and Eighth Avenue. Police wrote tickets in response to two of those complaints, but took no action in response to most of the rest, city records show.

The truck seemed retrofitted to skirt accountability. Photos by Melone show a New York State Police Investigators Association sticker on the windshield, a sign reading FUNERAL on the dashboard, and four different temporary paper license plates — three from New Jersey and one from Minneapolis — borne by the truck over the course of a year.

IMG_9888.jpg?w=1280&h=960

Former North Carolina deputy convicted of falsifying records

A North Carolina jury found has found a former sheriff’s deputy guilty of falsifying training and qualification requirements for a former sheriff and his former chief deputy.

Chad Coffey was facing a total of 24 felony charges. He was found guilty of 12 counts of obstructing justice Thursday and acquitted on 12 counts of obtaining property by false pretenses, The News & Observer of Raleigh reported.

A judge sentenced Coffey to five to 15 months in prison. At most, he will serve six months since post-release supervision is required for the last nine months of such sentences. Coffey then faces two years of supervised probation.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Can anybody explain why this is anything other than blatant racism?

I watched that with the intent of finding a reason. 

And for at least a brief few seconds I had “we’ll he hasn’t thrown a punch yet”

Which was followed by

”wait why is she leaving the white kid, there’s only 2 officers”

”wow she’s not even looking at him. He could pull out a gun and shoot her, she’d never see it coming”

”neither one of them is paying attention to the white kid. He could run off and get away…”

I don’t know about the 30 minutes and it’s certainly possible that maybe the video cuts off before the white kid is arrested and the narrative is false. 

but even if we play the game where we assume that’s true - I still got a lot of questions about what we did see. 

they clearly saw no threat from the white kid. And clearly saw a threat from the black kid. Cause it all started with an overly aggressive takedown by the male cop. 

If that takedown was all there was I’d let it slide but the truth is… that seems unnecessary given the entire situation (basic kids fight on a couch in the mall) and the assumption that cop is in reasonably solid shape. 

Watching it again maybe I’m wrong about the takedown. 🤷‍♂️

54 minutes ago, tshile said:

I watched that with the intent of finding a reason. 

I don’t know about the 30 minutes and it’s certainly possible that maybe the video cuts off before the white kid is arrested and the narrative is false. 

White kid was not arrested.  From the article (linked at the end of my post):

The way police handled the Black teen also surprised the 15-year-old he was fighting. In an interview with WPIX, the boy, identified only as Joey, said he immediately knew that the way police were handling the Black teen was “wrong.”

“I knew there was going to be problems when they did that,” he said. “They didn’t go for me.”

Joey also wondered why the officers didn’t put him in handcuffs as they had with the Black teen.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

White kid was not arrested.  From the article (linked at the end of my post):

The way police handled the Black teen also surprised the 15-year-old he was fighting. In an interview with WPIX, the boy, identified only as Joey, said he immediately knew that the way police were handling the Black teen was “wrong.”

“I knew there was going to be problems when they did that,” he said. “They didn’t go for me.”

Joey also wondered why the officers didn’t put him in handcuffs as they had with the Black teen.

Joey learned a lesson that day. 

Edited by Llevron

Kim Potter, who killed Daunte Wright, sentenced to 24 months, fine on manslaughter convictions

Former Brooklyn Center Police Officer Kim Potter was sentenced to 24 months and a fine of $1,000 on Friday, Feb. 18 following her conviction in the death of Daunte Wright, a 20-year-old Black man who was fatally shot during a traffic stop.

Potter will serve 16 months in prison and the remaining eight months on supervised release, a sentence far below what the prosecution sought. Judge Regina Chu acknowledged the sentence was a "significant downward departure" from sentencing guidelines.

"I recognize there will be those who disagree with the sentence. That I granted a significant downward departure does not in in any way diminish Daunte Wright's life. His life mattered. And to those who disagree and feel a longer prison sentence is appropriate, as difficult as it may be, please try to empathize with Ms. Potter's situation," Chu said.

Chu said she received "hundreds" of letters in support of Potter, all of which she said she had read.

"This is one of the saddest cases I have had in my 20 years on the bench," Chu said when delivering the sentence. "Officer Potter made a mistake that ended tragically, but she never intended to hurt anyone."

A surcharge of $78 will also be taken out of Potter's prison wages. She already has a credit of 58 days served in jail while awaiting sentencing.

The maximum sentence for first-degree manslaughter is 15 years and a $30,000 fine and for second-degree manslaughter -- 10 years and a $20,000 fine.

Speaking to reporters outside the courthouse, Arbuey Wright, Daunte Wright's father, described how upset he is with the sentence Potter was given.

"I walk out of this courthouse feeling like people are laughing at us because this lady got a slap on the wrist and every night we are still waiting around crying, waiting for my son to come home," he said.

Driver held at gunpoint for having permit to carry settles with Minneapolis Park Board for $100K

Jenice Hodge has been pulled over before.

So on July 12th, 2019, as Hodge delivered food in northeast Minneapolis, she prepared herself for a routine traffic stop when she saw red and blue flashing lights in her rearview mirror.

Police body camera footage shows Minneapolis Park Police Officer Calvin Pham explaining that he pulled Hodge over because her phone was in her hand and she wasn’t wearing her seatbelt.

But sixty seconds after approaching Hodge’s car, Officer Pham suddenly pulled his gun out of his holster and ordered the 42-year-old woman out of the car.

“I didn’t even have my driver’s license out of the sleeve and I had a gun pointed at my head,” she said.

Hodge, who is Black, said she was scared and confused. 

“Phone in one hand, wallet in the other,” Hodge pointed out, as she watched the video back in January. “Where’s the threat to pull your firearm out?”

With her hands through the sunroof, the video shows Hodge telling the officer repeatedly to “calm down,” as he ordered her out of the car.

In the body camera footage, which led to a six-figure settlement late last year, it is not clear why Pham pulled his gun.

The officer later wrote in his incident report that he believed “Jenice may have a gun” after he noticed a permit to carry card in her wallet. But Pham never wrote in his report that he saw a gun.

“You didn’t see a firearm, you didn’t ask if I had a firearm, you just reacted to something that you seen in my wallet,” Hodge said, adding she does have a valid permit to carry license but did not have the gun that day.

54 current, former California Highway Patrol officers charged in overtime scheme

California Attorney General Rob Bonta (D) announced on Thursday charges against 54 current and former California Highway Patrol (CHP) officers he says were involved in a two-year overtime fraud scheme that netted them more than $225,000.

In a press release, Bonta said CHP officers with the East Los Angeles station exaggerated the number of overtime hours they worked, resulting in 302 criminal counts, including charges of grand theft and the presentation of a fraudulent claim.

“Trust is a critical part of successful law enforcement,” Bonta said in a statement. “These defendants disregarded the law through their alleged actions and did so without thought of how their conduct would impact the California Highway Patrol or the community that trusted them to protect and serve.

In 2018, CHP launched an investigation into alleged overtime fraud in response to incidents stretching from January 2016 to March 2018.

Disgraced former police chief arrested after faking his own death

Anthony Spivey, the former Chadbourn police chief who was the subject of a missing person search along the Lumber River this week, was arrested in Horry County, South Carolina early Thursday morning.

According to Columbus County Sheriff Jody Greene, Spivey was located at his aunt’s residence at an apartment complex on Watson Heritage Road in the Loris, S.C. An incident report indicates he was trying to hide, submerged in a creek behind the apartment when authorities spotted him. Spivey ran from authorities but was taken into custody after a brief chase and struggle, at approximately 12:45 a.m.

Spivey, who currently is being held at the J. Reuben Detention Center in Horry County, has 40 outstanding warrants for failure to appear for a total bond of $1 million. He is facing dozens of criminal charges after being arrested in April 2021, accused of repeatedly raiding the Chadbourn Police Department’s evidence room, and stealing a variety of narcotics, thousands of dollars in cash, and firearms. In June 2021, Spivey was charged with embezzling $8,000 meant for a family whose died following a battle with leukemia.

In August, Spivey managed to post a $500,000 bond to get out of jail while awaiting trial on those charges, despite efforts by Columbus County District Attorney Jon David to keep him behind bars. WECT has received unconfirmed reports that Spivey is related to the bail bondsman who posted bail to get him out of jail.

After bonding out, Spivey was arrested again, charged with stealing catalytic converters from an auto repair shop in Tabor City in January 2022.

The CCSO says it was contacted on Monday by North Carolina Wildlife Officers about an abandoned boat located in the Lumber River near the Sandhills Hunting Club. Wildlife officers were told that Spivey was last seen driving a truck found at the location and that the boat belonged to him.

“Deputies arrived on the scene, along with Sheriff’s Office Investigators and Special Operations Units, including the Man Tracking and Dive Units,” the sheriff’s office stated in a news release. “As the Sheriff’s Office began to search the area, investigators spoke to Spivey’s friends and family who were at the scene. Investigators began collecting evidence. Family members described the incident as a possible suicide.”

Investigators collected handwritten letters at the scene, along with the boat, which contained a .22 caliber rifle with a discharged round still in it.

“Investigators quickly concluded that the evidence collected did not support a suicide scenario,” the news release states. “However, with Spivey still missing, dive crews searched waters, and tracking teams searched the wooded areas for Spivey. Search and rescue crews conducted searches for three days, including several agencies assisting with aerial coverage, K9 sniffing, and sonar scanning. Meanwhile, Criminal Investigators were conducting a separate investigation.”

“As investigators collected video from surveillance systems and conducted interviews, it became even more apparent that the scene on the river was staged.”

While search crews combed the river for signs of Spivey’s body, the U.S. Marshals and agents from the State Bureau of Investigation were chasing down leads he was still alive. David had informed the court that due to the unusual circumstances, they should allow for the possibility Spivey staged his disappearance. On Wednesday, authorities received a tip Spivey was hiding at his aunt’s residence in Loris, SC, and a judge issued a Failure to Appear order for his arrest.

Edited by China

Off-duty Las Vegas police officer accused of robbing casino at gunpoint

An off-duty police officer in Las Vegas is accused of robbing a casino at gunpoint early Sunday, police said.

Caleb Rogers, 33, a member of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department since 2015, is charged with burglary with a firearm, assault with a deadly weapon and two counts of robbery with a deadly weapon, according to a statement from his agency.

Police said they were dispatched to a casino in the 4100 block of South Valley View Boulevard shortly before 7 a.m. Security at the casino, which police did not name, told officers they had detained a suspect.

“Responding officers contacted security and identified the suspect as off-duty LVMPD officer Caleb Rogers,” police said.

The department said Rogers, who is assigned to the Community Police Division, Bolden Area Command, will be "placed on suspension of police powers without pay pending the outcome of the criminal and internal investigations."