Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins sign Ricky Jean Francois per Shefter

santanathegreat

I'm confused.

Is he really french or is his parents just really bad spellers?

Now i got Michael Jackson's billy Jean stuck in my head.

' Ricky Jean is,  not a lineman, he's just a beast, who, runs over quarterbacks,

and, he ne-ver likes to slack.

Ya know, i'm gonna stop. Dr.Pepper hasn't kicked in yet, and i'm making an even bigger ass of myself, if thats possible.

He is not french, people.  He's HAITIAN.  Big difference...Haitians don't want to be called french or associated with them.  

The people are only french in name, because that is the name the slavemasters gave them.  We don't call Ray McDonald irish because of his name, do we?

Well I dont think anyone is seeing this like we just signed JJ Watt - but you cant scout 3-4 DE's based on sack totals.

And people should keep in mind that it has been said that this defense will be more of a one-gap, attacking style.  As opposed to having linemen just eat blockers.  I trust that our NFL caliber GM is smart enough to know what kind of players can fit that mold and do the job. 

You need depth in the trenches. Not every signing is going to be for a starting spot. You need hard-working guys who are willing to come off the bench in specific situations and not have an attitude about it. It's not like he is taking a spot away from someone good.

I get what you're saying, but in this case,  if the starters aren't that great, the backups can't really be considered "depth".  Frankly, at this point, we have no quality starters up front on defense.  Cofield's out, Bowen's probably gonna be out, and Jenkins really is serviceable as a starter.  So if they don't have 3 starters coming in, we're in for a world of hurt.  Francois's really just Jenkins on the other side. 

I get what you're saying, but in this case,  if the starters aren't that great, the backups can't really be considered "depth".  Frankly, at this point, we have no quality starters up front on defense.  Cofield's out, Bowen's probably gonna be out, and Jenkins really is serviceable as a starter.  So if they don't have 3 starters coming in, we're in for a world of hurt.  Francois's really just Jenkins on the other side. 

Well in that case he just improved our defense.  You cant expect our defense to go from 0-60 before FA and the draft even starts.  Hes an improvement, and thats all you can ask for.  Considering todays cuts, its practically a guarantee that they pick up at least one big DL player in the draft or FA, which means much less pressure on 4th and 5th spot players.

This is a process. You have to be patient. This is just one of what will be many, many, many moves over the next 3 to 4 yrs. We are not going to win next year unless we just get lucky. You need to know that. But we should be slowly getting rid of dead wood and getting players that help the team in some fashion.

Francios gives us a net $9M in cap savings. So if production is the exact same, we have the cap savings. Anything else is gravy.

well here is the bright side. The Skins continue to find subpar non impact players who are just "a guy" types....but now they don't overpay for them.

The other positive news is the Ricky Jean......and I'm not talking about my ex girlfriend Ricky Jean.....but this new guy who was cut by Indy......yes that Ricky Jean........he actually had 2 more sacks last season than Bowen and Cofield put together.

I think I remember reading McCloughin saying something to the order of you get your stars through the draft and your glue guys in free agency. If so, Ricky seems to be that blue collar, glue guy.

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly though. Maybe it was you draft best player available and use free agency to fill in the needs. Might have been both.

It fits his philosophy. And players like Ricky are what make a team go. Role players who do the dirty work allowing the "stars" to shine.

Ricky is an improvement over what we had last year.  He is younger and he can defend the run.  Bullock in the Wash Post says he will not be a pass rusher and so will come out on third down.  He does not cost a lot to sign.  We can judge Scott on his first year performance once preseason begins.  I just hope the Danny will give Scott a few years to rebuild the team.

This is a process. You have to be patient. This is just one of what will be many, many, many moves over the next 3 to 4 yrs. We are not going to win next year unless we just get lucky. You need to know that. But we should be slowly getting rid of dead wood and getting players that help the team in some fashion.

Francios gives us a net $9M in cap savings. So if production is the exact same, we have the cap savings. Anything else is gravy.

I agree about patience and the rest of your statement but we cut two and signed one. Most likely we will draft the other replacement, if not 2. So some of that savings goes to filling the existing gaps that we currently have on the DL.

I am thinking 2 to 3 years to really see the fruits of GMSMs labor. Not 4.

So

I agree about patience and the rest of your statement but we cut two and signed one. Most likely we will draft the other replacement, if not 2. So some of that savings goes to filling the existing gaps that we currently have on the DL.

I am thinking 2 to 3 years to really see the fruits of GMSMs labor. Not 4.

I get what you are saying about filling another gap, but we dropped $12M in cap and signed $3M back. So right now it's a $9M in savings. My point was we are not going to sign superstars in FA and should not. We are going to fill in gaps. Would you agree this helps our cap situation? Well of course? Does it end up being $9M $6M $3M? I don't know exactly but that was not my point. It's a positive step, even if just a small one.

Also, I never said it would take 4 yrs to see results. I said we would lose this yr. I also said there would be many, many moves over the next 3 to 4 yrs. Not sure how that gets to it will be 4 yrs before we see results. Not being ugly here just not sure how got one out of the other.

I think as long as the contract value represents fair value to us, we should be fine with the signing.

The current cuts had me looking back at the 2011 FA signings, Cofield 6yr/36m, Bowen 5/28, Atogwe 5/26, Chester 5/20.

With hindsight, very over valued deals 4 years back.

I think as long as the contract value represents fair value to us, we should be fine with the signing.

The current cuts had me looking back at the 2011 FA signings, Cofield 6yr/36m, Bowen 5/28, Atogwe 5/26, Chester 5/20.

With hindsight, very over valued deals 4 years back.

They were horrible signings. I liked Cofield but we massively overpaid and Bowen was never very good.

At the risk of being a debbie downer, it'll be really annoying if a bunch of old 49er and Seahawk scrubs get signed simply cuz of their connection to McCloughan.

I remember when McCloughan was in his presser when he was hired, and the very subject was asked of McCloughan.

McCloughan stated, he was not in to signing past players from his previous stints with the 49ers/ Seahawks. McCloughan wants to find Redskins in the draft , and not from the free agency lottery. McCloughan feels most free agents usually have issues already, such as injury , age and discipline / ego issues, and or the free agent has their own agenda like $$$$$. Free agency in most cases is like buying a used car, you are buying someone elses problem. Hail

Free agency in most cases is like buying a used car, you are buying someone elses problem. Hail

But right now? We are:

HOOPTIE

Any car that meets the following:

a) driver must enter car through passenger side

b ) three different brand and size tires - 3 of them missing hubcap

c) exhaust is held up by half a clothes hanger - other half replaces the antenna

d) backfires every three blocks - loudest backfire being when car is turned off

e) must open door at drive-threws as windows don't roll down

f) you only get one AM station and the tape deck eats all tapes inserted

g) can't open the glove box as the whole thing will fall out

h) if you let go of steering wheel while driving you'll make a u-turn

i) must manually move blinker lever up and down as it no longer blinks on it's own

j) must keep one foot on brake and one on accelerator when at a complete stop

k) has had the same temporary registration sticker in the window for the last 18 months

l) has all the above issues but still has a $200 professional tint job

Archived