Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last Line of Defense-2015 Draft Safety Prospects

darrelgreenie

Safety has been a problem for this team for awhile and this year is no different.

Here's a look at some of the S prospects in the upcoming draft.

FS rankings per cbs/nfldraftscout: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/FS

61 Cody Prewitt FS 1 Mississippi Sr 6-2 212 2
73 *Chris Hackett FS 2 TCU rJr 6-2 195 2-3
87 *Gerod Holliman FS 3 Louisville rJr 6-0 201 3

92 Derron Smith FS 4 Fresno State rSr 5-11 197 3 

http://es.redskins.com/topic/387006-the-last-line-of-defense-2015-draft-safety-prospects/?p=10141295

138 *Durrell Eskridge FS 5 Syracuse rJr 6-3 203 4
148 Kurtis Drummond FS 6 Michigan State rSr 6-1 205 4-5
181 Adrian Amos FS 7 Penn State Sr 6-1 214 5-6

208 Damarious Randall FS 8 Arizona State rSr 5-11 194 6

http://es.redskins.com/topic/387006-the-last-line-of-defense-2015-draft-safety-prospects/?p=10141945

233 Tevin McDonald FS 9 Eastern Washington rSr 5-11 192 6-7
258 Detrick Bonner FS 10 Virginia Tech rSr 6-1 203 7-FA
284 Dechane Durante FS 11 Northern Illinois rSr 6-2 194 7-FA
302 Justin Cox FS 12 Mississippi State Sr 6-2 190 7-FA
320 Dean Marlowe FS 13 James Madison rSr 6-2 206 7-FA
337 TraMayne Bondurant FS 14 Arizona Sr 5-10 212 7-FA
349 Jermaine Whitehead FS 15 Auburn Sr 5-11 192 7-FA

SS rankings per cbs/nfldraftscout: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2015/SS

*Honorable mention goes to Shaq Thompson a freak athlete who could be drafted at any number of positions S, LB, RB

11 *Landon Collins SS 1 Alabama Jr 6-0 222 1
 http://es.redskins.com/topic/387006-the-last-line-of-defense-2015-draft-safety-prospects/?p=10139469

67 Anthony Harris SS 2 Virginia Sr 6-1 190 2-3
84 Jaquiski Tartt SS 3 Samford rSr 6-1 220 3

124 Ibraheim Campbell SS 4 Northwestern rSr 6-0 210 3-4

http://es.redskins.com/topic/387006-the-last-line-of-defense-2015-draft-safety-prospects/?p=10143213

141 Jordan Richards SS 5 Stanford Sr 5-11 211 4-5
157 Clayton Geathers SS 6 Central Florida rSr 6-1 212 4-5
192 Anthony Jefferson SS 7 UCLA rSr 6-1 194 5-6
209 *James Sample SS 8 Louisville rJr 6-2 192 6
241 Erick Dargan SS 9 Oregon rSr 5-11 217 7
262 Kyshoen Jarrett SS 10 Virginia Tech Sr 5-11 192 7-FA
287 Sam Carter SS 11 TCU rSr 6-0 216 7-FA
303 Brian Blechen SS 12 Utah rSr 6-2 216 7-FA
323 Damian Parms SS 13 Florida Atlantic Sr 6-1 206 7-FA
340 Isaiah Johnson SS 14 Georgia Tech rSr 6-1 213 7-FA

More to follow with game cut-ups and quick charting.

There are 2 main places I know (if others know other spots please feel free) to get game cut-ups and full college games: draftbreakdown  for cut-ups and noonkick for full games.

If there is no film or cut-ups available the last resort would be highlights which by their nature don't really help make an assessment (or at least a complete one).

This draft class isn't a particularly strong class compared to recent years. I don't see Pryor, Ha-Ha, Buchanan or Ward in this group but we can look at and discuss the prospects that are available.

Edit: The more I look the more I like, take Damarious Randall for example had good tape and his measurable match-up quite well with Ward and better then Ha-Ha and Pryor.

http://mockdraftable.com

^^Another great resource for draftnik 'scouting'

Gotta admit, as silly as it may sound I'm still holding out hope for Akeem Davis. Has the speed, certainly not afraid to hit and seems to have a good work ethic. Of course you can't rely on 'hope' to fill a position.

Personally, I hope we wind up with a strong candidate for FS (draft or FA, or both)... it's been too long since we've had a viable player there*. Not that we're set at SS, but at least we have a couple of bodies there.

Looking forward to seeing your follow up.

*I still have flashbacks of Moore with the beautiful pick off Brees only to have the ball pulled out of his hands and run for a td. Talk about a low moment for the franchise/fans.

This jumped out at me a bit. 6-1 190 does not scream in the box SS in the NFL. I read his scouting summary and he sounds like more of a tweener SS/FS who is better in coverage than playing the run as the 8th man in the box. There is a value in having safties who can be versatile. I wonder how many of these players really are just FS or SS and how many can be more versatile.

Worth noting Shaq Thompson too. Really talented athlete.

“I’ve talked to six or eight evaluators in the last few days about Thompson,” said Mayock. “Two like him as a running back, two as a safety, and most as a linebacker.”

I could see taking him as a SS for his rookie year, then having him gain 10-15lb and playing ILB his second year (letting Riley walk). With Thompson and Robinson, we'd have probably the most athletic ILB tandem in the NFL.

At this stage in the draft process is tough to trust the designation of FS vs SS without having watched them on film.

Every year some prospects get labeled as certain position FS/SS like Eric Reid he got labelled as SS during the draft (despite playing a lot of FS in college) and he ended up going to the pro-bowl as FS.

My personal solution equals ... signing Marcus Gilchrist from San Diego or Jeron Johnson from Seattle at SS.

Draft either Cody Prewitt, Chris Hackett, or Durrell Eskridge in the 3rd 

Draft Sam Carter in the 6th or 7th as a project to back up Johnson/Gilchrist and Davis.

Usually we keep 5 safeties ... 3 SS and 2 FS ... I'm not sure where our other FS would come from, unless we move Hall there full time.

If we sign Byron Maxwell and draft a CB, which I expect we will ... that would leave room for Hall to slide over to FS as a CB6 slash FS.

*Edit ... forgot about Phil Thomas. Could pencil him in as a back-up FS to our drafted guy.

I know that GM SM is really a BPA guy, and a GM who likes to use the draft as the "lifeblood" of the team.  I get that.  And I can't tell you how excited I am about that as the going in philosophy.

However, I think safety is the one spot on the roster where they need to open up the FA checkbook a little bit.  I'm not suggesting a big name, I'm not even sure exactly who I'd target.  But this is the one position on the team, IMO, that they not only don't have starters, they really don't even have options.  

And if you have a position going into the draft where you don't have any options at either starter or backup, while your intention might be to go BPA, your hand might get forced a little bit, just because on opening day you NEED to have players filling those spots.

If I go through the other areas on the team that are big weaknesses, I think there are at least "options."  Might not be good options, or there might be a real opportunity to upgrade, but at least there are players there that can line up and play.  

The position that everybody keeps pointing to is OL.  But on the OL, apart from the returning starters, you have Long and Moses.  

At Safety, honestly, I have about as much qualification to play there as who they have on the team.  And I'm an out of shape, almost 40 year old guy who's never played a down of football in his life.

So, I think that they've got to sign a few players in FA that they think can legitimately start for them, and then draft a bunch of guys to develop. And not just the bargain basement guys.  (But not necessarily the top-end $50 million dollar guys either.)  And it might take a couple of years to truly solve the problem, but at least this year you have guys who can line up and play a little bit.  

I like prewitt,Drummond,smith,eskridge,& Hackett
At free safety ..wouldn't be mad at any of those picks

You're new, so welcome to the board. There is a rule about quoting large blocks of text (ie: you're not supposed to do it. :)

Just a friendly warning.  

If Devin McCourty hits FA he would be the top available FS obviously. But he'd also be seeking Jairus Byrd money ... $9-10 million per year. Just seems like a deal McCloughan would sign in Year 2 or 3 if it were the last piece.

Searcy, Johnson, Gilchrist are all SS ... but would be affordable. 

Tashaun Gipson, if he makes it to FA, might be a top target at FS ... he wouldn't command nearly as much as McCourty but would more than fill the "hole" at FS ... that's for sure.

I think who we pursue via the draft will be dependent on who is available in free agency.

I think we have 2 BIG holes to file at safety, and even in a best case scenario only one can be filled via the draft.  If McCourty comes on board then that will drastically change the approach to the draft.  You need one good safety and one adequate one to at least give the defense a fighting chance.  I honestly think NT and an experience FS are the biggest needs for this defense.  Having pressure up the middle, and a ball hawk who can cover deep will free up the rest of the team and make mediocre look just a little bit better.  I can see them trading back and taking Collins in the first, or I could see them waiting until the 3rd, and picking up one of the top 2 FS available.  I like the idea of Hollimon, sometimes its just hard to argue with results, and boy did he have some...but I dont think they will take a shot at him as they need an immediate starter.  An extra raw project does not make a good first year starter.  

This jumped out at me a bit. 6-1 190 does not scream in the box SS in the NFL. I read his scouting summary and he sounds like more of a tweener SS/FS who is better in coverage than playing the run as the 8th man in the box. There is a value in having safties who can be versatile. I wonder how many of these players really are just FS or SS and how many can be more versatile.

Harris is a prospect I haven't looked at yet but like I was saying before (on the phone) the designations don't mean a whole lot right now.

E.g. cbs/nfldraftscout's top FS is player I really like more as SS and Anthony Harris a former CB is listed as a SS and he seems like a natural fit as FS.

Getting back to Harris, I figure this thread to be a free for all, but with film.

Using sites like http://draftbreakdown.com/players/anthony-harris/  

or

http://noonkick.com

So if you or anyone else wanted to lead a discussion on a particular S prospect the film would be good jump off.

This draft class isn't a particularly strong class compared to recent years. I don't see Pryor, Ha-Ha, Buchanan or Ward in this group but we can look at and discuss the prospects that are available.

Worth noting that there were people last year saying that they didn't see any 1st round talent at Safety.

Can someone answer the burning question in my head.  How is DHall just "going to move to FS" .  Why do fans just think a CB can automatically play FS or SS.  I remember when we read the threads "Sign Bailey to play FS".  When have you ever heard of a CB playing FS or SS when he gets older in age?  I'll give you a hint, they don't.  Can we please stop pretending DHall is going to be a pro bowl safety this year.  He's a corner.

Can someone answer the burning question in my head.  How is DHall just "going to move to FS" .  Why do fans just think a CB can automatically play FS or SS.  I remember when we read the threads "Sign Bailey to play FS".  When have you ever heard of a CB playing FS or SS when he gets older in age?  I'll give you a hint, they don't.  Can we please stop pretending DHall is going to be a pro bowl safety this year.  He's a corner.

Charles Woodson made that move, but he is ancient at this point.  Lott moved in his 4th year.  It's probably not a surefire move that people act like it is, but considering how poor our safety play has been, even if he were below average at safety it would be an upgrade to what we have had.  That said, Hall is probably closer to done than anything, achilles tears are a death knell at his age.

The consensus had Pryor and Ha-Ha as 1st rounders. While most draftniks didn't think as highly of Buchanon and Ward some in this forum had Buch and Ward rated just as high if not higher.

I don't think this group of safeties matches up with last years especially on the top end.

Absolutely.  Kind of disturbing to hear some say Collins is the most complete safety they've seen in years.  In a Chancellor role he could excel, but I even think Thompson would be better than him at that.  I wouldn't trust Collins in deep coverage.

What little film I saw on Collins made me definitely not want him at 5. He seemed to wanna hit instead of tackle and took some bad angles at times. Reminded me too much of Landry. Maybe if we traded back and took him later in the first round as a SS, I could get behind it. I think there is no doubt he would be an immediate upgrade for us, but there are better players available at other positions of need at 5 IMO.

I feel we have to sign a few FA safeties and I hope we target some younger hungry guys. A few I think make sense are Marcus Gilchrist SS, Kendrick Lewis FS, Major Wright SS, Darian Stewart FS/SS. Then of course you have Devin McCourty and Rahim Moore up at the top of the chart, but IF they make it to FA they will likely be very expensive.

The only guys I'd bring back from last year would be Duke Ihenacho, Phillip Thomas, and Akeem Davis. Those are the guys that are still young and have shown some potential. I hope our roster at safety will consist of these 3 along with 2 FA's and 1 or 2 draft picks plus some UDFA's.

There is a CB/S guy that I saw some mock draft site mock to us in the 2nd or 3rd round named Alex Carter. They compared him to Amerson. That made me think about how Barry will feel about Amerson at CB. He might envision him playing better at safety. I would like to see him get another year at CB, but we need help everywhere and we need all our guys playing the position they are best at.

Here is the nfl draft profile for Carter.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/alex-carter?id=2552587

He seemed to wanna hit instead of tackle and took some bad angles at times. .

If I were an evaluator (and I'm not, but I played this game called Madden once and so I have credentials), this would be pretty high if not number one on my list of attributes to assess. Free or Strong, I want my safeties to be able to wrap a guy up and take him to the ground consistently. That means good technique and the ability to put themselves in position to apply that technique. Film will show this, but there's other factors to it too. Tackling of course can be taught, but a guy has to be willing to learn and not be obsessed with going for the highlight reel hit. Yes, the ability to separate receiver from ball is important and high risk can lead to high rewards. However, some guys are mostly just high risk.

So, for those of you watching film, who out of the available prospects has shown they can provide a reliable ability to bring their guy down? What else do they bring to the table in terms of attributes?

If I were an evaluator (and I'm not, but I played this game called Madden once and so I have credentials), this would be pretty high if not number one on my list of attributes to assess. Free or Strong, I want my safeties to be able to wrap a guy up and take him to the ground consistently. That means good technique and the ability to put themselves in position to apply that technique. Film will show this, but there's other factors to it too. Tackling of course can be taught, but a guy has to be willing to learn and not be obsessed with going for the highlight reel hit. Yes, the ability to separate receiver from ball is important and high risk can lead to high rewards. However, some guys are mostly just high risk.

So, for those of you watching film, who out of the available prospects has shown they can provide a reliable ability to bring their guy down? What else do they bring to the table in terms of attributes?

Lol, we all have those 'Madden' credentials. And I agree completely when it comes to tackling. Tackling is one of the more important traits for an individual football player but on the team as a whole. The best defenses don't miss many tackles and don't give up yards after contact. One area I chart when watching the film: tackle opportunities and outcomes (miss tackle, bad angle, wrap with arms, hit with pop, chase and drag, tackle for loss, gang tackle, dive on pile).

Your post is a good jumpoff to the aim of the thread: looking at the film.

Since you've shown your credentials, this thread is an invitation for everyone to look at the film and have a discussion.

So have a look for yourself:

Landon Collins vs Florida 2014

Overall: 15 plus, 2 minus

21 snaps

8 snaps Cover 2 

5 snaps in the box

4 snaps deep/Single High FS

2 snaps NB off

2 snap edge

Tackling:

12 Tackle opportunties

6  individual tackles made

3 assists

1 miss- QB scramble misses/broken (last play of tape)

3 plays of meh? effort 1st play, not forcefully going to gang tackle @ 2:45, ‘pile diving’ 3rd play, 4 plays of cut/dive tackles, 1 bad angle @3:11

1 wow this is the guy i want to see every snap @2:58 comes down from Cover 2 fought off a block then stands up the RB in the hole +1, nice hit+wrap on run blitz @3:34

Coverage:

+.5 @ (:25) turn and runs from Cover 2 to mirror receiver and track ball for a force out

- from edge position turn and run maintaining trail position step for step

+1.5 @ (1:44) closed on WR from FS to break up pass (should have caught it)

+3 @ (4:06) reads seam route runs step for step with WR tracks ball to make 1 handed interception

So have a look for yourself:

Well, I was trying to convince myself not to. I don't really have the time to study film and only have a general football Knowledge, Less so on the positional specifics.

So that probably puts me in the same position as most who comment on football in the first place :)

Anyway, I likes a challenge and improving my knowledge seems like a better waste of time than reading some of the more well trodden debates and whatnot on this forum, entertaining as they obviously are. I'll see what I can do.

The position that everybody keeps pointing to is OL.  But on the OL, apart from the returning starters, you have Long and Moses. 

Well apparently they're not going to turn things around. I just realized Zach Martin was named all-pro.  I'd have traded our entire draft for him.  It ***sucks*** the Cowboys understand the value of OL and we don't.  (Every position is critical in some way of course; I just don't think safeties will have as much of an overall impact as a dominant OL would.)

Archived