Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last Line of Defense-2015 Draft Safety Prospects

darrelgreenie

Now he's off the board in our mock, I can't believe nobody's talking about Uconn's Byron Jones as a serious FS option.

Where do you start with this kid?

Athleticism of a corner, where's he's played the last two years; and looks and tackles like a safety. (6'1. 199 LBS.). Where he played the first two of his career at free. Smooth, fluid back backpedaler with great range and above average recovery speed and great instincts for the ball. But it's the World class athleticism that really stands him apart. We all got put on notice at the combine when he broke the WR for the broad jump and set a 5 year high in the vertical with a 44. 5 ridiculous standing leap. Throw in great 20 and 60 yard shuttle times, great positional's, and then a pro day 40 that would of been the third fastest among combine corners (4.38)); and it's easy to see why his stock has suddenly shot up at lightening pace. Not hard to see how he was a track stud as a kid.

But Jones is far from just a workout warrior in shorts. Those unWorldly rare ability's transition to his game tape and make him an absolutely ideal candidate to switch back to a FS and become, under the right coaching, a complete all star stud at the position.

I agree with that after watching him. He's not a striker like randall, but he's a sound tackler with elite closing speed. From his 2012 tape I watched him repeatedly fly up field to help in run support from 20 yards deep, and he'd just come flying in. If he didn't have yawin smallwood ahead of him he would have had even more tackles. And aside from one missed tackle in 3 games, there were very few big plays against his coverage.

The only problem is he may not be around at our 2nd pick with how his offseason has gone, but unlike rollins we don't have to try to project him at safety. He's shown a top ability to diagnose routes and read plays from that position.

I love Jordan Richards out of Stanford. Smart, very passionate kid who was a locker room leader, fairly Fast, and is good in coverage with jumping ability. Not afraid to knock the piss out of somebody. I think he will end up being a legitimate nfl starter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived