Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last Line of Defense-2015 Draft Safety Prospects

darrelgreenie

Rollins, Rowe and Carter are three CB's I really think could do well making a move to safety. Have all the physical attributes needed. 

Rowe might have moved too well and ran too fast not to be considered as a CB first.

But if he came out and said he wanted to be a S then he would could be a fringe 1st rounder.

I would also throw in Quandre Diggs and Ladarius Gunter.

It looks like safety is going to have to be seriously addressed in the draft.  I hope (going along with the BPA drafting methodology) that they get somebody earlier than the 4th round that they think can come in and contribute quickly.

Safeties tend to take a little while to develop, and I don't want to count on a late round safety being THE ANSWER.  They can be part of the answer.  

I think with all of the additions to the DL and CB, there's no question that now the most glaring hole on the team is Safety.  One could argue Guard.  But I think safety is more glaring. 

And it might just not get completely fixed this year 

Rowe was a three year starter at FS in College. So I would list him as such first.

IIRC Breeland was thought as a possibility move to FS coming out of College, or that point was brought up at some point last season. Don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that was discussed.

Potential New York Giants Draft Target: Safety Damarious Randall, Arizona State

March 14th, 2015 at 9:00 AM 

By Anthony Raia

Late on Thursday night, a report came out that the New York Giants were one of many teams to schedule a WORKOUTarrow-10x10.png for former ARIZONAarrow-10x10.png State safetyDamarious Randall. This shouldn't come as a shock, as so far in free agency the Giants have struck out with every available big name safety. Randall's name has been garnering some attention after his spectacular combine.

Below we will take a look at how former Randall would fit with the New YorkGiants, and where he is likely to land in the 2015 NFL Draft.

1. Overview:

• Randall is a well-traveled prospect, who spent two years out of footballbefore playing at ARIZONAarrow-10x10.png State. Randall played shortstop at Butler Community College in Kansas before transferring to Mesa Community College where he started his collegiate football career. After a year at Mesa CC, he received a number of Division I offers, and ultimately decided to play at Arizona State. Randall is an incredible athlete, who was a top performer at the safety position in nearly every test. He was clocked at 4.46 seconds in the 40-yard dash and added in a 38 inch vertical leap for good measure.

2. Strengths:

• As mentioned above, Randall is a superb athlete. While he was an exceptional shortstop, his coaches wanted him to move to center field because of his range and speed. Randall is a high effort, high motor player who never gives up on plays. He seeks out contact and plays with a hostile mentality. Is a play maker when he gets the football in his hands. He is an excellent blitzer and is aggressive when attacking the quarterback. Plays bigger than his size on 50/50 balls, and played some receiver in junior college. Very willing in run support and a tone setter despite his smaller frame.

3. Weaknesses:

• His smaller frame (5'11", 196 pounds) is a concern for the safety position. While he has the instincts and the skill set to play in the box, his size likely won't allow him to at the NFL level. He can sometimes be too aggressive and get burned with play action. Randall still has raw man coverage skills, but should be fine in a zone coverage/center field role in the NFL. He sometimes needs help bringing down larger players. Will need to tone down the hostility to avoid penalties at the NFL level.

4. Review:

• Randall is a very intriguing option for the New York Giants in the mid-rounds. The Giants' secondary has been devoid of play makers for some time, and Randall would fill that void nicely. I don't believe his lack of size will be as much of an issue as it is made out to be if he his playing in a free safety role. Ed Reed had a similar build (5'11", 205 pounds), and Randall's game has a lot of similarities to Reed's. He would obviously need to get a little bit stronger to play the same style in the NFL, but that shouldn't be an issue given his commitment to training.
  • Right now Randall is probably a third rounder and could be available when the Giants pick there. I think Randall would be an excellent fit for the Giants, and could contribute day one with a more experienced safety playing next to him.

http://www.giants101.com/2015/03/14/potential-new-york-giants-draft-target-safety-damarious-randall-arizona-state/

•  

The latest I've been reading have DR no later then 2nd round....

What's his stock looking like: Randall said he's heard talk of him being a second-rounder because some teams might rank him as the No. 2 safety on the board.

What's next: Eleven teams will visit with Randall, and seven to nine will fly him to their facilities before Day 1 of the draft. Super Bowl participants New England and Seattle are among the teams he'll meet with. What will Randall do on draft day? "I'm probably going to be playing FIFA (video soccer)," he said. "I'm just going to be taking in the process and enjoying the moment."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2015-pro-days-notebook-part-i/

Love Randall as a prospect. This was my worry though, his combine numbers bringing him into the spotlight. Pre-combine he was seen as a late 3rd/4th round prospect. Don't think I can justify taking him at #38 though. 

Can't see him making it to the 3rd round now with the lack of depth at safety. 

Love Randall as a prospect. This was my worry though, his combine numbers bringing him into the spotlight. Pre-combine he was seen as a late 3rd/4th round prospect. Don't think I can justify taking him at #38 though. 

Can't see him making it to the 3rd round now with the lack of depth at safety. 

But here is the thing. If layman like ourselves can spot DR talent then I'm sure scouts have been on him as well.

Just because the main stream sports media only caught on at combine (and actually it wasn't until after the combine because there was little 'buzz' (I hate that term) about him at the combine) doesn't mean that DR is actually 'rising'. I think its more likely that the media/draftnik perception is starting to catch up to his talent. 

Potential New York Giants Draft Target: Safety Damarious Randall, Arizona State

March 14th, 2015 at 9:00 AM 

By Anthony Raia

Late on Thursday night, a report came out that the New York Giants were one of many teams to schedule a WORKOUTarrow-10x10.png for former ARIZONAarrow-10x10.png State safetyDamarious Randall. This shouldn't come as a shock, as so far in free agency the Giants have struck out with every available big name safety. Randall's name has been garnering some attention after his spectacular combine.

Here is a breakdown of one of his games:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/387006-the-last-line-of-defense-2015-draft-safety-prospects/?p=10141945

Safety is such a hard position to predict.. Many of the good safeties in the NFL either come from small schools or develop into good safeties after a few years. We were tremendously blessed to have Sean Taylor. He came in day 1 as the best player on the field. We've been spoiled.

I watched the new cut-up for Campbell. It was more solid film for him he again graded out very high for me. I wish there was more tape. But, if he's the player I see on from those 2 games most of the time AND he runs well at his pro-day on March-17th then he's no worse then a second round S for me.

2015 Pro Day Notes: Tuesday, March 17, 2:55 p.m.  

By Tony Pauline, http://draftinsider.net/ 

Northwestern_logo.gif Northwestern 

Fifteen teams were on hand for the workout of safety Ibraheim Campbell, who missed the Combine and Northwestern's initial pro day with a hamstring injury. Despite being on the list of expected attendees, the Washington Redskins did not show up to the workout. 

Campbell, who measured 5-11 1/2, 208 pounds at the Combine, timedas fast as 4.47 in the 40, 6.81 in the 3-cone and 4.03 in the short shuttle. His vertical jump touched 33 inches with 9-10 in the broad. Campbell sat on his bench press mark from the Combine of 23 reps. 

I'm told overall, Campbell looked very good in drills, and he presently has four official visits set up, with more are expected.                    

• Gil Brandt
  • There were 12 NFL teams represented at Northwestern safety Ibraheim Campbell's pro day Tuesday. Campbell was at the combine but wasn't able to work out there or at Northwestern's March 3 pro day because he was still recovering from a hamstring injury. His workout Tuesday was done indoors on Field Turf.

Campbell (5-foot-11 3/8, 209 pounds) posted times of 4.54 and 4.56 in the 40. He had a 33-inch vertical and a 9-10 broad jump. He ran a 4.21 short shuttle and a 6.74 3-cone drill. While at the combine, he also threw the bar up 23 times.

Campbell did well in his workout and looked pretty good moving around. He did drop a few passes in space when he had opportunities to make an interception.

I think Campbell should be drafted somewhere around the fourth round, but given that he was such a productive player at Northwestern, he could go higher.                                                                                                                                                         

Good showing for a long awaited measurables from Campbell..good 40 time, shuttle and 3 cone to go with the solid film. He's "size deficient" but he can play.

I think there's gonna be a run on S 2nd round and I think he'll be in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGUBBenlaE

Not really one long term starting calibre safety, either slot, for me this year where we'd be looking.

Mix and match until next years draft.

Can't address it all.

Hail.

Oh I think there's better S this year then most realize. Whether or not they'll be BPA where we pick...who knows..but there are some quality S out there.

DG ... posed this over in the Twitter thread but ... how would you rank the following players from what you've seen:

CB -> FS:

Quentin Rollins

Erik Rowe

Josh Shaw

Byron Jones

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

FS:

Chris Hackett

Cody Prewitt

Gerrod Holliman

Adrian Amos

Durrell Eskridge

If I told you we signed Dashon Goldson to a 2-3 year, inexpensive prove-it deal and planned to draft a guy in the 2nd-4th rounds ... how would you rank the above options to come in and learn to take that spot?

DG ... posed this over in the Twitter thread but ... how would you rank the following players from what you've seen:

CB -> FS:

Quentin Rollins

Erik Rowe

Josh Shaw

Byron Jones

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

FS:

Chris Hackett

Cody Prewitt

Gerrod Holliman

Adrian Amos

Durrell Eskridge

If I told you we signed Dashon Goldson to a 2-3 year, inexpensive prove-it deal and planned to draft a guy in the 2nd-4th rounds ... how would you rank the above options to come in and learn to take that spot?

Dash doesn't really change things for me 1 way or another.

Haven't watched tape of Byron Jones or Ekpe but I'm pretty sure both are gonna stay at CB.

Heck for all we know many of the top S prospects might get a shot a CB first but the only 2 I'm not gonna consider S prospects for this ranking are those guys.

One guy you didn't mention who would be at the top of my list is Damarious Randall but my list is pretty much the one posted prior to your post:

Damarious Randall

Adrain Amos

Landon Collins SS/maybe Free

Ibrahiem Campbell SAF

Quinten Rollins

Jackquiski Tartt SS/maybe Free

Eric Rowe (if he stays a S) 

Cody Prewitt SS/maybe free

Durrell Eskridge

Chris Hackett

Gerrod Holliman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481700/article/2015-nfl-draft-lance-zierleins-top-10-safeties?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Wondered if this matched up with what you CFB followers saw (less so the ranking, but rather the blurbs he wrote for each).

Pretty far from how I see things in the rankings. Shocked that ibraheim campbell is left off completely.

The blurbs have some generalities and I'm not sure why he ranked some over others due to it. For instance, Amos is a technically sound player but teams on aggressive defenses might not like him? If a player's only fault is that he's almost too good at preventing big plays I'm not sure how that is a significant ding for a safety.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481700/article/2015-nfl-draft-lance-zierleins-top-10-safeties?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Wondered if this matched up with what you CFB followers saw (less so the ranking, but rather the blurbs he wrote for each).

Damarious Randall should be pushed to no.1.

James Sample is a top 5 safety and doesn't even make the list yet his teammate Holliman does who's gonna bust big time.

Wouldn't agree with the majority of it.

Now he's off the board in our mock, I can't believe nobody's talking about Uconn's Byron Jones as a serious FS option.

Where do you start with this kid?

Athleticism of a corner, where's he's played the last two years; and looks and tackles like a safety. (6'1. 199 LBS.). Where he played the first two of his career at free. Smooth, fluid back backpedaler with great range and above average recovery speed and great instincts for the ball. But it's the World class athleticism that really stands him apart. We all got put on notice at the combine when he broke the WR for the broad jump and set a 5 year high in the vertical with a 44. 5 ridiculous standing leap. Throw in great 20 and 60 yard shuttle times, great positional's, and then a pro day 40 that would of been the third fastest among combine corners (4.38)); and it's easy to see why his stock has suddenly shot up at lightening pace. Not hard to see how he was a track stud as a kid. 

But Jones is far from just a workout warrior in shorts. Those unWorldly rare ability's transition to his game tape and make him an absolutely ideal candidate to switch back to a FS and become, under the right coaching, a complete all star stud at the position. 

His coaches can't speak highly enough of him and his character, intelligence and football smarts. He's been a model student with a real high IQ (he interned in politicsl in both the State Capitol and US Capitol on DC); and has been a locker room leader right through at Uconn, willing to play hurt to inspire his fellow teammates. (37 starts in 43 games.). A senior captain with impeccable character loved in the locker room. Having played FS, and then corner, outside and nickel; his football savvy smarts to pick things up quickly and apply them also stand out. 

He's still raw in some aspects, which will be sorted with better coaching. But you can't teach the size, length and naturally explosive athleticism that is on another level. 

I could gush all day on Jones from what I've watched of him (had him as a 3rd rounder until he exploded over the last month); and if we could bag him in the second we'd be getting an absolute steal. 

He might be playing corner the last two years, but he's the best FS prospect in this class for me. 

Hail. 

Archived