BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

Recommended Posts

I think this will all get worked out.  Marvel only got 5% off the last two Spiderman movies which is kinda ridiculous considering the work Feige put in and now Marvel is asking for 50% which is also ridiculous.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, drowland said:

I think this will all get worked out.  Marvel only got 5% off the last two Spiderman movies which is kinda ridiculous considering the work Feige put in and now Marvel is asking for 50% which is also ridiculous.  

 

Sounds about right. Right or wrong, sony is taking the brunt of the blane on this one. Cooler heads need to prevail and meet somewhere in the middle. 75% of all money with marvel is probably worth more than 100% without them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

 

Sounds about right. Right or wrong, sony is taking the brunt of the blane on this one. Cooler heads need to prevail and meet somewhere in the middle. 75% of all money with marvel is probably worth more than 100% without them

 

Yeah you're seeing the strength of the MCU and Disney's brand.  Sony's getting roasted on social media but they should walk away from 50%.  They'll get back to the negotiating table eventually knowing everyone wins with Spiderman in the MCU.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, drowland said:

 

Yeah you're seeing the strength of the MCU and Disney's brand.  Sony's getting roasted on social media but they should walk away from 50%.  They'll get back to the negotiating table eventually knowing everyone wins with Spiderman in the MCU.  

 

Disney's negotiation strategy should be to force Sony to watch Venom.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

 

Disney's negotiation strategy should be to force Sony to watch Venom.

Sonys response will be people will go to a spiderman, venom, carnage movie even if it sucks

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

 

Sounds about right. Right or wrong, sony is taking the brunt of the blane on this one. Cooler heads need to prevail and meet somewhere in the middle. 75% of all money with marvel is probably worth more than 100% without them

 

I wish they would jus write them a check plus royalties that they just cant turn down.  If theres any company in the world that has that kinda guap, its disney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, drowland said:

I think this will all get worked out.  Marvel only got 5% off the last two Spiderman movies which is kinda ridiculous considering the work Feige put in and now Marvel is asking for 50% which is also ridiculous.  

 

The right number is probably 25%, which is about the additional money the MCU Spidey movies made over the Amazing Spider-Man movies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Never a huge fan of mcu Spider-Man anyway 

 

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Man, I thought I was alone, my little sister hates me for my position on this, loves her some Tom Holland

 

4759074_0.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

And you like those garbage Sony movies?  That is crazy. 

 

The MCU spider-man movies are good and I like them a lot I just hate that he is basically a mini iron-man. His suit is some overpowered bull****. There is no point to him even having web shooters. Get stark to toss some rockets in his boots and he's set, he can get around easier and faster. These movies weaken him as a character quite significantly imo.

 

Not to mention every movie he's spent getting his ass kicked and constantly reaffirmed that he isn't ready and just isn't on par with the other avenger characters. He's just some kid that helps out until he get's too beat up and allowed the real heroes time to catch their breath which is a slap in the face to his character too. This basically happened in Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, and happened halfway through Homecoming. Even his villains are all people that have nothing to do with Spider-Man, they're just pissed at Stark. Just crippling my man. 

 

Those Amazing movies are just awesome solo Spider-Man movies that are better representations of the character and don't weaken him to me.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

 

The MCU spider-man movies are good and I like them a lot I just hate that he is basically a mini iron-man. His suit is some overpowered bull****. There is no point to him even having web shooters. Get stark to toss some rockets in his boots and he's set, he can get around easier and faster. These movies weaken him as a character quite significantly imo.

 

Not to mention every movie he's spent getting his ass kicked and constantly reaffirmed that he isn't ready and just isn't on par with the other avenger characters. He's just some kid that helps out until he get's too beat up and allowed the real heroes time to catch their breath which is a slap in the face to his character too. This basically happened in Civil War, Infinity War, Endgame, and happened halfway through Homecoming. Even his villains are all people that have nothing to do with Spider-Man, they're just pissed at Stark. Just crippling my man. 

 

Those Amazing movies are just awesome solo Spider-Man movies that are better representations of the character and don't weaken him to me.

 

The two Marvel Studios movies are good movies so they've got that going for them over what Sony has done with the character and it's villains.  And Spider-Man is a very coherent character within the MCU based on his appearances in the Marvel Studios movies.  So what if he gets beat up and struggles in the movies?  That is the second act climax formula for every single action movie.

 

Spider-Man 3, the two Amazing Spider-Mans, and Venom are all garbage and proof that Sony can't handle the production of live action movies of the Spider-Man property on their own.  Even the first two Spider-Man movies are some early aughts nonsense with plenty of schlock and incoherence when you go back and watch them.  A lot of their appeal hinges on meme camp like the Star Wars prequel movies.  Logan notwithstanding, Marvel Studios is pretty much the only game in town making good live action Super-Hero films and they're going to win this fight because they've done right by their properties and developed a loyal fanbase and no one else has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

He barely even wore the iron man suite in the second movie. 

 

I'm not talking about the Iron Spider suit. i'm talking about all the suits including the original homecoming classic style suit he got from Stark in Civil War that has a weapons system and an AI talking to him and every other piece of technology possible that makes him seem less like Spider-Man than he should be

 

50 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

So what if he gets beat up and struggles in the movies?  That is the second act climax formula for every single action movie.

 

 

Not at the expense of the other Avengers. MCU Spider-Man couldn't hold his own in the airport fight with other Avengers and heroes and was the only one that had to sit it out like a chump. He did the same thing in Endgame after carrying the gauntlet for a bit. 

 

He's just a kid excited to be there. If he contributes anything it's a bonus. Sure, it works for the MCU but it sucks for Spider-Man and his fans. 

.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, drowland said:

I think this will all get worked out.  Marvel only got 5% off the last two Spiderman movies which is kinda ridiculous considering the work Feige put in and now Marvel is asking for 50% which is also ridiculous.  

 

Well, if you're Marvel/Disney, you start by aiming high with the hopes you settle at about half of it.

 

If you're Sony, you see that that's what they're doing and call their bluff and "end" negotiations.

 

End of the day, both companies like money. They will come to an agreement. If not, Sony is the ultimate loser here as they won't be able to maintain the quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I missed this yesterday. First i've heard of Feige contributing. Maybe he was a hidden hand on spiderverse

 

Nobody's winning in this dispute, only various degrees of losing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They better freaking not kill Spider Man!

 

Disney will throw the dollar dollar bills out eventually to settle this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Not at the expense of the other Avengers. MCU Spider-Man couldn't hold his own in the airport fight with other Avengers and heroes and was the only one that had to sit it out like a chump. He did the same thing in Endgame after carrying the gauntlet for a bit.  

 

He's just a kid excited to be there. If he contributes anything it's a bonus. Sure, it works for the MCU but it sucks for Spider-Man and his fans.  

 

He is a kid and this version of Spider-Man is great for young fans.  They have other heroes to run mature story lines with.  And again, his character and his contributions are coherent AND he's gotten two very very good solo movies.  TBH, 16 year old boy wonder inventor with no money who somehow apes Batman technology is just not as interesting or strong as what Marvel Studios came up with.  Mentorship enriched both his and Iron Man's characters, not weakened them.

 

He's also a star who is headlining billion dollar productions and providing some of the most memorable moments in the ensemble movies.  In Civil War he fought two Avenger-class heroes at once and almost won.  Winter Soldier and Falcon are fully trained warriors with like a hundred years of combat experience between them.  The way they resolved that sequence made sense.  Then he came up with the key strategies for beating Giant-Man and Ebony Maw.  He's a scene stealer.  What about Hulk?  What about Gamorah and Hawkeye??  What about Vision???  If you want to complain about those characters being weakened, I'd understand.  But they've done right by Spider-Man.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He held his own when he had the element of surprise. Once that was gone he didn't do much but take down Ant-Man's legs.

 

I'm not saying it hasn't been entertaining or that for what they decided to do as far as Peter being a kid and his relationship with Tony, they did it extremely well, but I grew up in Spider-Man comics (not avengers or really many crossovers) and the Fox TV show, this MCU version just isn't close to that. I want my Spider-Man being confident in his abilities and actually being a force to be reckoned with not some reluctant gee-golly kid that gets his ass handed to him by literally everyone and just comes across as frail and weak and defeats his enemies almost in spite of his actual superhero abilities. 

 

I want Spider-Man in NYC handling **** on his own. Not some sidekick skipping through the suburbs that isn't ready for the big leagues and gets smacked down by any advanced human threat or avenger. Spider-Man is an A tier hero and he is treated like a punk in MCU. He can't handle anything on his own, he's physically weak and overly reliant on Stark's technology rather than even his own strength, smarts and skills. 

 

In a universe where Captain America can run 60pmh and take a fully ****ed Thanos punch to his bare head without so much as a scratch..it seems crazy that Spider-Man is so under-powered and under-utilized. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spider-Man is an A Tier character because of his personality and charisma and not so much his powers or capacity.  He's like Wolverine in that regard.  And he's always been kind of the happy-to-be-there tag along in crossovers with the likes of the Avengers and especially the Fantastic Four.  And one of the signature features/contradictions of Cap is that he is Marvel's underpowered Superman and always punches above his weight and never stops fighting.  It's his defining characteristic, and something that was introduced in the first scene of his first movie.  Nobody else compares to him.

 

Marvel Studios has actually done an excellent job appropriately tiering their heroes.  They've been thoughtful about it.  And they've done a good job humanizing their God tier in the Thor and Strange and CM and Guardians movies.  Vision is really the only character they've botched.  And while Hulk and the Guardians got nerfed, they were so freaking overpowered in some of their comics it was just kind of dumb.  Lesser story tellers had gotten their hands on those characters, then Marvel Studios fixed them up and made them better than they were in a lot of their source material.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Spider-Man is an A Tier character because of his personality and charisma and not so much his powers or capacity.  He's like Wolverine in that regard.  And he's always been kind of the happy-to-be-there tag along in crossovers with the likes of the Avengers and especially the Fantastic Four.  And one of the signature features/contradictions of Cap is that he is Marvel's underpowered Superman and always punches above his weight and never stops fighting.  It's his defining characteristic, and something that was introduced in the first scene of his first movie.  Nobody else compares to him.

 

 

Because of their limited powers, Spiderman, Cap and Wolverine have to be much more reliant on their wits, which kind of makes them a little more interesting. Certainly more interesting than Supes, WW and Martian Manhunter, all of whom are ridiculously overpowered. 

Edited by Mournblade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spider-Man doesn’t have limited powers tho. He has superhuman agility, reaction speed, and strength and has a 6th sense to detect danger before it even occurs. Add to that his web-slinging and all the unique and awesome ways he can traverse and fight people with them makes him one of the coolest superheroes with one of the best skillsets. That’s what makes him an A tier hero. People would love to be Spider-Man. He also has a great group of memorable and formidable villains that allow Spider-Man to prove himself against and bounce one liners off of.  

 

None of that is apparent in MCU. Hell he doesn’t even need his webs since his suits have 35 different types of rocket launchers and like 75 other ways to disable an enemy included and all controlled with voice activation. **** is lame. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Holland but im not too bummed out about this.

 

I thought it would be cool at first, but Spider-Man basically became the MCU's ****

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Spider-Man doesn’t have limited powers tho. He has superhuman agility, reaction speed, and strength and has a 6th sense to detect danger before it even occurs. Add to that his web-slinging and all the unique and awesome ways he can traverse and fight people with them makes him one of the coolest superheroes with one of the best skillsets. That’s what makes him an A tier hero. People would love to be Spider-Man. He also has a great group of memorable and formidable villains that allow Spider-Man to prove himself against and bounce one liners off of.  

 

None of that is apparent in MCU. Hell he doesn’t even need his webs since his suits have 35 different types of rocket launchers and like 75 other ways to disable an enemy included and all controlled with voice activation. **** is lame.  

 

OK, we're about to go down a super nerdy rabbit hole and I'm hesitant to display how much I know and care about this, but you all already know what a freaking nerd I am so whatever: in Marvel's most popular universes, Spider-Man's power level is much, much lower than the characters that are generally considered to be in Marvel's high tiers.  Spider-Man is a Marvel A-lister in terms of popularity and ability to sell comic books/merchandise/tv shows/movie tickets, but not power.  It's a similar situation to Wolverine and Captain America and Black Panther and Ben Grimm.  Most of the God Tier Marvel characters are boring and dumb and were schemed up in crappy story lines written by Marvel's least interesting and talented writers during their least creative periods when the power creep was totally incoherent and out of control.  And a lot of Marvel's very best and most beloved characters are under-powered within the 616 and MCU (199999) universes.

 

Marvel is surprisingly objective in the way they classify and rank power level's in the 616 universe, and they've released handbooks which put each character on a grid where their abilities are ranked and contextualized.  You can find the grids on Marvel's major wiki, and this link has 616 Peter Parker's grid:  https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Parker_(Earth-616)

 

Four to intelligence, strength, and fighting skills.  Three to speed and durability, and one to energy projection.  Compare that to:

 

- Nova: Variable two to six intelligence.  Seven strength, speed, and durability.  Six energy projection.  Four fighting skills.

- Thor Odinson: Two to intelligence.  Seven to strength and speed.  Six to durability and energy projection.  Four to fighting skills.

- Adam Warlock: Three to intelligence.  Five to strength.  Seven to speed.  Six to durability and energy projection.  Two to fighting skills.

- Bruce Banner/Hulk: Variable two to six intelligence.  Seven strength and durability.  Three speed.  Variable one to five energy projection.  Four fighting skills.

- Phoenix: Three intelligence.  Two strength.  Seven speed, durability, and energy projection.  Four fighting skills.

- Strange: Four to intelligence.  Two to strength and durability.  Variable two to seven speed.  Six to energy projection and fighting skills.

- Gladiator: Three intelligence.  Seven strength, speed, and durability.  Six energy projection and fighting skills.

- Doom: Six to intelligence, durability and energy projection. Four to strength and fighting skills.  Five speed.

- Thanos: Six intelligence, durability, and energy projection.  Seven strength and speed.  Four fighting skills.

 

Then there are the cosmic level entities above them all like Death and the Beyonder and the Celestials that don't have power levels on that scale and TBH, they're quasi religious and kind of dumb.

 

So while I agree with you that his skill set is fascinating, original, and fun, it's not a particularly power skill set in the context of the mainstream Marvel universes.  He's got a respectable mid-grade power level for characters of human origin.  In my opinion, the MCU accurately scales and portrays that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.