Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I thought the movie was a lot of fun. Every character had a chance to shine and everything followed a logical chain of events, which is surprising for a film of this scale.

My only complaint is the absurd over-use of shaky-cam. I hate that gimmick with a passion. Just as in The Winter Soldier, the shaky-cam nullified the effort and choreography that was put into the stunts and fight scenes.

That's because nobody really wanted to fight each other (outside of Black Panther and eventually Tony).

I guess, but it was a little strange seeing Spider-Man who in the timeline right now is still just a kid learning his powers and he was basically dominating against both Winter Soldier AND The Falcon and he also took down supersized Ant Man. I think they made him a little too capable although I understand why(Spidey is arguably the most popular Marvel character and they want to set up his movie to be successful).

I guess, but it was a little strange seeing Spider-Man who in the timeline right now is still just a kid learning his powers and he was basically dominating against both Winter Soldier AND The Falcon and he also took down supersized Ant Man. I think they made him a little too capable although I understand why(Spidey is arguably the most popular Marvel character and they want to set up his movie to be successful).

I get what you're saying. He did seem overly skilled and adept for a kid in that situation.

Overall good movie. Good action, characterization, and handling of many characters. Seamlessly introduced two.

What I really thought was interesting in this movie was that effectively the bad guy won. HIs objectives were met. The Avengers were broken up and a new super hero reality was set via public perception, registry, etc.

Great movie

Airport battle royale overall was great

Giant man and Spidey hitching a ride from War Machine were great. I liked how they did several pairings well, making them into combo moves. Marvel has done well with this since Avengers with Hulk and Thor, Cap and Iron Man, etc.

Cause Spider-Man is physically superior to captain and winter.

Is he? Winter Soldier is supposed to be this hulking behemoth that single handily takes down entire squads of elite soldiers. Captain America is...well he's Captain freaking America.

Remember we're not talking about a hardened, experienced Spider Man that's been protecting Queens for years. We're talking about a kid who had pretty much just gotten his powers.

I will say though that the kid who played Spider Man did a great job. I can't wait to see the reboot. And damn Marissa Tomei....wowzers!

• Like 1

The problem is they made Cap and Winter Solider powers inconsistent or just ridiculous. So SpiderMan canonically has to be stronger than them which just makes his powers seem even more ridiculous.

Seriously, why can the Winter Solider run 75mph now? And why does Captain America jump on a helicopter and weigh it down like he's a 3 ton car hanging off the side of it. Or how he grabs Iron Man by his shoe in flight and doesn't move a hair. Logically, Iron Man should have dragged his ass through the air. That's some Hulk level **** they let Cap do in this movie.

• Like 1

Giant Man/Goliath was so powerful in the original comics that they had to constantly nerf him in bizarre ways (having him get stuck at one size, having him suffer bouts of schizophrenia for growing larger) to make the issues dramatic. The team would usually have him fight off hordes of enemies on his own while the other members would work together to perform more specific objectives like rescues and searching out objects/switches/doomsday devices to deactivate. Him and Thor were generally the most powerful members of the early rosters. At one point they even got tired of trying to figure out what to do with Hawkeye so they just made him drink a serum of the Pym Particles and become the new Giant Man.

The problem is they made Cap and Winter Solider powers inconsistent or just ridiculous. So SpiderMan canonically has to be stronger than them which just makes his powers seem even more ridiculous.

Seriously, why can the Winter Solider run 75mph now? And why does Captain America jump on a helicopter and weigh it down like he's a 3 ton car hanging off the side of it. Or how he grabs Iron Man by his shoe in flight and doesn't move a hair. Logically, Iron Man should have dragged his ass through the air. That's some Hulk level **** they let Cap do in this movie.

Yeah, that thought was occurring to me. 

Granted, most super powers, you really have to just ignore a lot of physics for them to work.  (At least the physical powers.  Things like telepathy or magic obviously don't have those problems.) 

But it really was occurring to me that hey, Cap really shouldn't be able to last two minutes in a fist fight against Iron Man.  At least, not if Iron Man is connecting.  (I could see them saying that he's faster, and Iron Man just can't hit him.  That, I'd believe.) 

Right, I noticed this too. Cap is still a man, even though he's enhanced. How is he punching Iron Man with nothing but a pair of gloves? Metal vs flesh is still metal vs. flesh.

But it really was occurring to me that hey, Cap really shouldn't be able to last two minutes in a fist fight against Iron Man.  At least, not if Iron Man is connecting.  (I could see them saying that he's faster, and Iron Man just can't hit him.  That, I'd believe.) 

Although this is kind of a classic comics trope. Superheroes fought each other often. The winner was usually decided by whose comic book you were reading.

Think of it like this, Usain Bolt runs about 25-30 mph for 100 meters. Is it ridiculous that a super soldier with enhanced speed and endurance could do probably twice that for much longer?

In the comics, Cap has done some pretty amazing things that make the feats of speed and strength in this movie well within the realm of possibility. They're just expanding on the things he can do, rather than making things up he cant do. Like in Winter Soldier, Cap did a little more than in the first one, and he does a little more in this one.

Edited by justice98

Liked it alot. Good way to end Chris's run of CA movies (just 2 more Avengers and then he's done).

My biggest worry was introducing 2 new characters in a movie already full of them. Thought they pulled it off extremely well and with plausible tie-ins.

Biggest legitimate gripe was no Peggy Carter flashbacks! She is so easy on the eyes, and that accent... ooohhh that accent.

yes, also it makes no sense he can carry someone while being tiny while he weighs so little an arrow can support his weight.

Oh, dear. It's a comic book, man, lol. I thought it was puny when you said the science of "Ant Man" "bugs" you. I need to see the stand-alone movie and read some more as well, but skimmed this:

http://nerdist.com/the-science-of-small-how-does-the-ant-man-suit-work/