Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

• 2 weeks later...

So, last week I went to clean out my smoker and noticed that the door had severely warped to where you could see inside it at the top and down the side, like see the racks.  Probably close to a one inch gap at the top and half inch down the side.  So, it won't seal properly anymore and I decided to just scrap it and buy a new one.  

Last night, we grabbed the wheel barrel to load it up on and take to the street for pick-up.  Soon as we got it on there, about 3/4 of the bottom had rusted out and just broke off, with the burner dangling by one bolt.  But the busted ass thing on the curb beside the trash can and recycling bin last night, someone had already picked it up by 8-9 am this morning.  My guess is they wanted the burner (it was propane and stainless steel).

RIP Smokey Mountain Series smoker, even though I left you out in all the elements, never buying you a cover, for 13 years, you made a lot of tasty BBQ.  I'm surprised it made it that long without really taking care of it.  Lesson learned.  I think I'm gonna get a stainless steel one now, with a cover (even though it's not really needed).  Not sure what kind I want now.  Not charcoal cause I already have my webber kettle for that.  Not sure how I feel about electric smokers either, probably just go with another propane one.

27 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I have a slow n sear but haven't used it yet.  But for cook-outs where I have a lot of people over, I liked the fact I could toss in a couple of chuck roasts, couple of chickens, etc. and smoke it all at once. 

To smoke large quantities you're probably looking at another gas or an electric smoker.  Otherwise maybe an offset one, or a pellet one if you can find one big enough.  I really wanted a pellet one but heard they are all made in China now and have had issues catching on fire because of jams. Would  Weber Smokey Mountain be to small?

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

To smoke large quantities you're probably looking at another gas or an electric smoker.  Otherwise maybe an offset one, or a pellet one if you can find one big enough.  I really wanted a pellet one but heard they are all made in China now and have had issues catching on fire because of jams. Would  Weber Smokey Mountain be to small?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  I'm not going electric, just seems wrong.   I've actually looked at the Weber Smokey Mountains, but they are charcoal and I can already do that on my webber kettle and was wanting something a little bigger.  I was looking on Amazingribs.com at all the smoker ratings they have done and kind of liked the Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" smoker.  Price has dropped a lot on them since their review.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I have a slow n sear but haven't used it yet.  But for cook-outs where I have a lot of people over, I liked the fact I could toss in a couple of chuck roasts, couple of chickens, etc. and smoke it all at once. 

How many times do you have actually have a lot of people over to cook out?   And when you do, are you serving up nothing but slow-smoked food, or grilled, or both?   Serious questions.    I'd venture to say that 99% of the time, (and I realize that's very presumptuous of me), that you're only cooking for yourselves.  

Unless you're cooking for a 25 people, adding a WSM to your quiver would probably work out.  

You can fire them up at the same time.  It would probably be easier to manage two smokers anyway, given the varying cook times, and ideal temp requirements for different foods.   

You can almost double your cooking space, on the Weber kettle, with a Hovergrill.   Let me know what you come up with, because I'm considering adding a smoker down the road though right now, my Holy Grail is a Weber Summit and a Weber 26" kettle.  Hmm...I guess that's Holy Grails!     The problem for me is space, I own 4 Weber's already, 3 kettles and one gasser.   ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

@Dont Taze Me Bro , If you are having a lot of people over...why in the heck haven't I been invited. 

I know I smell and all, but the smoke and food smells should cover that aroma. 

Freakin' UNC fans. 

LOL  I haven't had a big cookout in 3 years or so.  But I liked having a big smoker to make things easier.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

How many times do you have actually have a lot of people over to cook out?   And when you do, are you serving up nothing but slow-smoked food, or grilled, or both?   Serious questions.    I'd venture to say that 99% of the time, (and I realize that's very presumptuous of me), that you're only cooking for yourselves.  

Unless you're cooking for a 25 people, adding a WSM to your quiver would probably work out.  

You can fire them up at the same time.  It would probably be easier to manage two smokers anyway, given the varying cook times, and ideal temp requirements for different foods.   

You can almost double your cooking space, on the Weber kettle, with a Hovergrill.   Let me know what you come up with, because I'm considering adding a smoker down the road though right now, my Holy Grail is a Weber Summit and a Weber 26" kettle.  Hmm...I guess that's Holy Grails!     The problem for me is space, I own 4 Weber's already, 3 kettles and one gasser.   ;)

When I did have larger cookouts it was usually around 17-20 total.  Only once or twice a year too.  But I would still fire up the smoker multiple times throughout the year and cook up a bunch of different stuff.  And when I had the larger cookouts, it was all smoked meats (chickens, brisket, pork shoulders, etc.) and not standard cook-out food (dogs and burgers).  I would also have some chicken breasts or salmon to toss on the regular grill for another option.  But almost 100% smoked meats.

Only thing about the WSM is I don't know if I want another charcoal smoker.  I don't want to have to keep adding coals on the longer, slower cooks.  With a propane smoker, I can get my temp set right and unless it's something really long, I shouldn't run out of propane before it's done cooking.  And if I do, its a quick change of the tank and I'm not skipping a beat.  

But the part of me that knows charcoal is the best wants one.  Decisions, decisions lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

When I did have larger cookouts it was usually around 17-20 total.  Only once or twice a year too.  But I would still fire up the smoker multiple times throughout the year and cook up a bunch of different stuff.  And when I had the larger cookouts, it was all smoked meats (chickens, brisket, pork shoulders, etc.) and not standard cook-out food (dogs and burgers).  I would also have some chicken breasts or salmon to toss on the regular grill for another option.  But almost 100% smoked meats.

Only thing about the WSM is I don't know if I want another charcoal smoker.  I don't want to have to keep adding coals on the longer, slower cooks.  With a propane smoker, I can get my temp set right and unless it's something really long, I shouldn't run out of propane before it's done cooking.  And if I do, its a quick change of the tank and I'm not skipping a beat.  

But the part of me that knows charcoal is the best wants one.  Decisions, decisions lol

Sounds like great cookouts! 

Not sure how they work, but there is nothing wrong with gas, you'll still get that great smoke flavor, with wood chips.  You should note that I've done 12hr cooks on the SnS and did not need to add charcoal. I'm not familiar with how the WSM works.

11 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not sure how they work, but there is nothing wrong with gas, you'll still get that great smoke flavor, with wood chips.  You should note that I've done 12hr cooks on the SnS and did not need to add charcoal. I'm not familiar with how the WSM works.

A full load on a WSM should last about 12hr. You'd need to add charcoal for longer cooks, but you're good to go for ribs, poultry, etc.

20 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

My old one that broke down was gas.  It was great, didn't taste anything like what comes off a gas grill due to the wood chips/chunks smoking the meat.  It's still not charcoal and wood where you get the benefit of both flavors, but honestly, it's not that far off since the smoke dominates the propane.  

I really need to test out my slow n sear.  I haven't had time lately for 8-12 hour cooks though.  Looking at the WSM it has the top grate like you would on a regular kettle.  Then down a foot or so, another grate that can be put over the water pan.  There is a side door for adding more coals and wood chunks but since it also gives you access to the water/drip pan, it will expose any meat when the side is opened up.  Not that that makes it a deal breaker, but it would be nice if the door only exposed the drip pan and coal holder.  

I was comparing it to the propane one I listed a few posts back and it's got a bigger cooking area than I thought (little over 700 sq inches), while the other one has 903 sq. inches.  Decisions man.  

I make a mean sandwich with oven-toasted whole wheat bread, melted cheese, olive oil, hot sauce, maybe another random condiment, with stacks of lettuce and tomato...and chicken breast I cook on the stove.  It's my go-to meal for when I'm starving.  Make 5 of 'em, eat 4, save the other one for later.

• Like 1

A buddy brought over previously frozen turkey burgers this past weekend. He and his wife are larger ppl so I get it. So I put these things on my grill .... and they start turning grey and getting real hard like hockey pucks. I ask him if that is how they are supposed to cook and he says yup. 

They also brought over turkey dogs filled with cheese. I assume you would only eat a turkey dog bc you want a healthier alternative to a nathans ... but doesnt putting overly processed cheese in the middle totally negate any health benefit?

• Like 1

Made tonight:

This HAWAIIAN HULI HULI CHICKEN. Boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Marinade, Pineapple, soy, fresh grated ginger, garlic, brown sugar, ketchup...mix well and marinated for 24 hours. Then grilled and splashed occasionally with marinade. Tastes like a mildly sweet bourbon chicken.

http://therecipecritic.com/2016/05/grilled-huli-huli-chicken/

Sorry about the quickie mac & cheese kids got to pick the side.

33152263603_5ebe05d567_b.jpg

One of my favorites

Creamy One-Pot Spinach Shrimp Pasta

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hitomiaihara/creamy-one-pot-spinach-shrimp-pasta?utm_term=.txN38dnqL#.tylkpl81n

Here's mine

33924380946_1f72df399c_b.jpg

• Like 2