Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

14 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I shop HEB, loyal shopper. I haven't seen Wegman products there. Lots of Whataburger though. 

I was specifically looking for the Peruvian marinade. There's a restaurant here that does Peruvian chicken that tastes like a restaurant in Wheaton Plaza once had.  I try to make it myself using Goya Mojo Criollo marinade. I usually add more minced garlic.

Nando's Peri Peri Sauce is excellent and a lot of grocery stores seem to carry it, as well as Wal-mart and it costs ~ $4.00.  I prefer the medium, which still has a good kick.    Bada makes good marinades too, and they're a little cheaper than Goya.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nando's Peri Peri Sauce is excellent and a lot of grocery stores seem to carry it, as well as Wal-mart and it costs ~ $4.00.  I prefer the medium, which still has a good kick.    Bada makes good marinades too, and they're a little cheaper than Goya.  

Just checked HEB and the Nando sauces are there! On my shopping list. Yay! Love to find new marinades. No Bada though. Thanks!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thanks 1

We’ll see how this goes.  Never been one to go for the easy throw a few things in the crockpot meals, but the family has been sending me this Mississippi pot roast recipe for a while now.

Chuck roast

packet of ranch seasoning

packet of au jus 

butter

pepperoncinis, with some of the juice

Apparently you just dump it all in here and it’s great.  I did have to take the extra step of browning the roast first though.  Hopefully the hype is real.

Should be ready around halftime when the game is 6-3.

ED5A476B-EF94-4EBF-8717-F51FB99A3919.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

55 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We’ll see how this goes.  Never been one to go for the easy throw a few things in the crockpot meals, but the family has been sending me this Mississippi pot roast recipe for a while now.

Chuck roast

packet of ranch seasoning

packet of au jus 

butter

pepperoncinis, with some of the juice

Apparently you just dump it all in here and it’s great.  I did have to take the extra step of browning the roast first though.  Hopefully the hype is real.

Should be ready around halftime when the game is 6-3.

ED5A476B-EF94-4EBF-8717-F51FB99A3919.jpeg

Looks like a good recipe. Sometimes, simple is better.

I don't consider browning an extra step.   It should be mandatory when cooking roasts in a crock pot.

I will definitely try this one. I have all the ingredients on hand, except for roast.  

One thing to keep in mind, no matter what you've read, you can overcook meat in a crock pot.  If the recipe calls for something like 4 hours on high, or 8 hours on low, try stick to those times.  That's been my experience anyway.

Let us know how it turns out and thanks for sharing the recipe!

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:
58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Looks like a good recipe. Sometimes, simple is better.

Agreed, I’m just not normally one to use the seasoning packets, canned soups and stuff like that.

Smells great in here though.

Here’s the written recipe:

https://belleofthekitchen.com/mississippi-pot-roast/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 8:59 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

We keep a few commercially made  rubs and marinades on hand too. 

If you’re ever at Trader Joe’s, they sell a coffee-garlic run which is outstanding. Though I know you like to dry-brine your meats, I believe it does have salt.  

I’ve started making my own rubs but I really like this store bought one in a pinch.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m always disappointed in pre made rubs from the store. This past birthday, I received 3 and two of them were purchased from some sort of specialty store. 

I haven’t had anything that adds to the flavor in a good way. These were expensive rubs from what I’m told. I smoked some wings yesterday and they just tasted like regular smoked wings you can get anywhere. It was disappointing. 

Last time I made wings, they were outstanding, but I used my own recipe, which is nothing special, and they were delicious!

I’m probably going to get rid of these and make my own and put them in shakers. that seems to be the way to go.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If you’re ever at Trader Joe’s, they sell a coffee-garlic run which is outstanding. Though I know you like to dry-brine your meats, I believe it does have salt.  

I’ve started making my own rubs but I really like this store bought one in a pinch.  

Thanks for the tip.  I make most of my rubs, but there's always a place for a quality, store-made rub.    

12 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I’m always disappointed in pre made rubs from the store. This past birthday, I received 3 and two of them were purchased from some sort of specialty store. 

I haven’t had anything that adds to the flavor in a good way. These were expensive rubs from what I’m told. I smoked some wings yesterday and they just tasted like regular smoked wings you can get anywhere. It was disappointing. 

Last time I made wings, they were outstanding, but I used my own recipe, which is nothing special, and they were delicious!

I’m probably going to get rid of these and make my own and put them in shakers. that seems to be the way to go.

I do keep a few store-bought rubs, that will do in a pinch, but make the majority of them myself.

Other than some of the flavor profiles, my main issue is that most commercial rubs have a lot of salt.   As VOR stated, I dry-brine with salt, so a salty rub doesn't cut it.

Homemade rubs are the best.   Cheap, easy to make and can be tweaked to my liking.   There are a ton of great recipes for them out there too.

If you do make them, try to store them in glass jars and keep them in a cool, dark place, or the fridge.

I also suggest taking an honest assessment of how often, and how much, you'll be using them, and adjust the recipes accordingly, so you don't have too much and end up having to toss it. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks for the tip.  I make most of my rubs, but there's always a place for a quality, store-made rub.    

I do keep a few store-bought rubs, that will do in a pinch, but make the majority of them myself.

Other than some of the flavor profiles, my main issue is that most commercial rubs have a lot of salt.   As VOR stated, I dry-brine with salt, so a salty rub doesn't cut it.

Homemade rubs are the best.   Cheap, easy to make and can be tweaked to my liking.   There are a ton of great recipes for them out there too.

If you do make them, try to store them in glass jars and keep them in a cool, dark place, or the fridge.

I also suggest taking an honest assessment of how often, and how much, you'll be using them, and adjust the recipes accordingly, so you don't have too much and end up having to toss it. 

Thanks, I’m learning. I got a Kamado Joe earlier this year, but haven’t had enough time to use it as much as I would like. As a middle aged man, I’m just now learning the ins and outs of cooking/smoking meat. I’ve been fairly happy with my progress so far

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Thanks, I’m learning. I got a Kamado Joe earlier this year, but haven’t had enough time to use it as much as I would like. As a middle aged man, I’m just now learning the ins and outs of cooking/smoking meat. I’ve been fairly happy with my progress so far

It's fun rabbit-hole to go down.   There's almost no cooking mistake that can't be remedied by a BBQ sauce or ketchup!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

There's almost no cooking mistake that can't be remedied by a BBQ sauce or ketchup!

Eh, I was grilling some ribs years ago, forgot about them, and they turned into charcoal.  That was a mistake which was remedied by ordering ribs from Mookie's BBQ. That was also the last time I did ribs on the grill.  I've smoked them ever since.  And mine are better than Mookies.  :)

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2022 at 7:44 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Ugh,

This reminds me of the time my chef was dry ageing beef in our walk in at work one summer.

Problem is this was not a cooler dedicated for dry-aging. For a month it sat on the top shelf that I was too short to see. This cooler had issues and the condenser kept freezing over and going out. Several times I had to move all the perishable stuff to the beer cooler.

One day I open the cooler and there are flies. I thought that was weird. Flies are a common issue but not so much in walk-in coolers. 

I keep looking around for something bad and that's when I notice a maggot on the ground. I look up above and on the top shelf where the rib-eye sits in an uncovered hotel pan there is a pile of maggots coming out of the meat. 

I dry heaved my way out of the cooler and made the chef deal with it.  

• Thumb down 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh, I was grilling some ribs years ago, forgot about them, and they turned into charcoal.  That was a mistake which was remedied by ordering ribs from Mookie's BBQ. That was also the last time I did ribs on the grill.  I've smoked them ever since.  And mine are better than Mookies.  :)

Yeah....over the years, as I've gotten to be a better cook, I rarely order steaks, BBQ, chicken, etc. because I can do make that stuff better at home.

• Like 2