Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Apps on the deck - tomatoes, crema, homegrown basil & balsamic reduction...grilled shrimp (Kroger Argentine red are incredible - $9.99/lb or less when on sale - mini-lobster)

Oh...and last bit of red sun on the tops of the pine trees ..

image.png.bea15604f52cf2bedf7cb942e847dc9e.png

image.png.0ae6760f50e9e1eaba11ad4cd147ab5d.png

• Like 6

So, I made the strawberry summer cake and it was delicious! I used cake flour and only a half cup of sugar. It wasn't as sweet, just a bit, which is fine for managing my diabetes. This cake would be good with peaches, plums, blueberries, pears, really any kind of fruit. I recommend that you maserate the fruit before, and to use room temperature egg and milk because you have to mix it with the creamed butter/sugar. It's good with whipped cream! I used square glass pan.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2011/05/strawberry-summer-cake/

IMG_20200605_171423574.jpg

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 9

Need advice.........on cooking pork ribs.  I suck at ribs, what is the best way to do them?  I've read to boil them, then just put them on charcoal and get the smoke flavor.

But, that **** seems weak to me.  Anyone offer some methods to smoke them on a charcoal grill?  Gonna dry rub them if possible.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Need advice.........on cooking pork ribs.  I suck at ribs, what is the best way to do them?  I've read to boil them, then just put them on charcoal and get the smoke flavor.

But, that **** seems weak to me.  Anyone offer some methods to smoke them on a charcoal grill?  Gonna dry rub them if possible.

Cook in the oven wrapped tightly in foil at a low temp with a nice rub.  Finish on the grill and add sone wood chips if you want.  Won't come out too smoky but you need to crisp them up and sauce em too.  Sf113 will no doubt have a better and more involved plan but this simple one worked for me for years before I started smoking.  

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The 3-2-1 method is pretty popular for cooking ribs - smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil & back on the grill for 2 hours, take out of the foil & grill for 1 hour. 

Personally, I cook them on the grill at 225-250 degrees for 5-6 hours using a dry rub. Sometimes I add sauce for the last 30-45 minutes. If I do the 3-2-1 method, I put the ribs in a pan & then cover the pan with foil. It makes it easier to add liquid while they cook for the 2 hours. 

One of the keys to good ribs is removing the membrane on the back of the ribs. I push a fork or spoon handle under the membrane & grab it with paper towel to pull it off. Usually need 2 or 3 attempts to get all of it off the ribs. 

Here's a link to the 3-2-1 method --- https://heygrillhey.com/3-2-1-ribs-perfect-fall-off-the-bone-ribs/

Post some pics! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually just smoked ribs for the first time on a gas grill yesterday. I couldn't believe how well they turned out. Was really easy too. Pretty much did what the previous poster recommended. 

Just turned on the first burner, kept the grill at 200-225 degrees. with some soaked wood chips in tin foil over the lit burner. Threw a couple racks of spare ribs(mustard and Head country for seasoning) on the other side of the grill. Did that for about 3 hours, occasionally spraying Apple cider on them. After 3 hours, wrapped in foil with butter and brown sugar. Put them back on the grill for an hour. Last step was removing the foil and putting Stubbs BBQ sauce on them, turned on another burner and cooked the ribs on each side for about 10 min. 

I didn't even know if this method was going to work, but man it turned out great. Everyone loved them. 

• Like 8

Going to a cookout at my SIL's today. Made my mom's layered salad. Lettuce, hard boiled eggs, carrots, green peppers, onions (vidalia & red), celery. Topped with frozen peas, dressing spread is mayo and splenda (diabetics attending), then finished with shredded sharp cheddar & bacon bits. 

20200614_102756.thumb.jpg.1e34d3dd1f897fa27a5d511fe461cb6a.jpg20200614_104636.thumb.jpg.d877b18e0e4b0e509ccfa552b9641b97.jpg20200614_105205.thumb.jpg.669c04b3c47b8b4088455c31d2ece21b.jpg

• Like 5

I don’t eat seafood but my wife wanted scallops and shrimp for her birthday.  Prepared them on the flat side of the grill grates.  Martin’s had some scallops they said just came in from Chincoteague in the am.  Shrimp were frozen and thawed.  Doused them in a concoction I made of butter, white wine, garlic, old bay lemon juice and zest, and fresh parsley.

436DC224-543A-40B5-85AD-F2349BA27F43.jpeg

DAF9C38C-9A7D-42D7-8D70-0570A9DBB13F.jpeg

• Like 9

Harris Teeter had tenderloin on sale, for $11.99lb. Cheaper than ribeyes😁

Dry brined the night before,  in the sous vide at 130° for an hour with a little minced garlic & a sprig of rosemary, then seared.

Mrs. Skinsfan likes hers well done, and you could still cut them with a fork....

20200614_191047.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs. Skinsfan likes hers well done, and you could still cut them with a fork....

My wife is a steak well done lady as well.  It provides very little room for error between tender and leather no matter the cut of meat.  I should have known early on that it was only a sign of things to come!

• Haha 1

Just now, skinsmarydu said:

Damn. Y'all gonna make me go buy stuff I don't need. 

I haven't done scallops in forever, hubby always seared those, like the tuna (perfectly medium). I should treat myself. 

This was my first time ever making scallops or shrimp.  Typically, she gets these things when we go out to eat as both me and our son don’t eat seafood.  I’ve watched it enough on tv to know salt and pepper just before hitting the heat, get a nice sear on each side and pull off.  Our guests couldn’t believe I’ve never made this stuff before.  The whole time I’m thinking this is among the easiest food I’ve ever made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1