Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

46 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Choice Flank coming out of a 24 hour Teriyaki/Jalapeño/Worcestershire marinade.

A marinade I like is soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, jalapeno and mint.  Just don't overdo it on the mint.

• Like 5

I made a spaghetti casserole for dinner tonight. Angel hair pasta cooked ( my favorite), ground beef, a can of diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian herbs ( I use the variety in the tube), onions and celery. I mixed it all together and put into a glass loaf pan, then added a layer of Italian cheeses. Into the oven at 350° for 30 minutes. Should have had the temp at 325°. 

I'll slice it and freeze most of it, vacuum packed. I am going to experiment with heating up frozen food in a water bath in the freezer bag. I will try this first with one of my stuffed peppers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

ED059B0E-E49D-4B5C-9515-BBA35F081B78.thumb.jpeg.0fad72c4d9659cf55eaaf0ed93f01ab6.jpeg

burger, done on the grill to a perfect medium rare.  Couldn’t find any quality hamburger buns, so used English Muffins, which I like.  Home made potato chips in the air frier.  

BTW, if you haven’t tried this ketchup, you should.  It’s all plant based,  no sugar added, and it really taste great. I think you can get it at giant and Safeway.  It’s very tasty.  A little more expensive, but not too bad. 

68B35F3C-9062-4B0A-8761-AB3E137EB498.thumb.jpeg.feeaabea2ea11cc990b92d4e9a727a47.jpeg 

And my daughter wanted me to post a picture of her drink. Which is virgin strawberry lemon mock-tail. She’s living life...

3754F784-DEBA-40A9-9157-9969EE09F0CC.thumb.jpeg.e5b0579ae6771557b5fdbbb8a45945fd.jpeg

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'll have to check for the ketchup at Randall's, the Safeway version here in Texas. Post quarantine if course.  Thanks for the heads up, VoR!

They sell it on amazon and Walmart online as well.  It’s more regional to DC.  I actually was pitched to invest in the company, didn’t because I have no idea about ketchup or food retail, but I loved the product so I am a buyer and proponent.  

9 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Sirloin steaks on the grill.  Not the best cuts, but did the Montreal Steak Seasoning marinade with olive oil and soy sauce for couple hours, then grilled on the Weber charcoal with mesquite wood chips.

That sound ... yum. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 8:05 PM, zskins said:

I threw out my old gas grill that i semi-converted it to able to put charcoal on the bottom of the burners and used the gas at the same time. The flavor. My brother-in-law brought me the grill I use now that has the blower on the side. It is not very tall and you have to pull up a chair next to it do the grilling. I love this grill. Now that my new deck has been built i need to get a grill that has both options. The gas for some items and the charcoal for others.

So really want just one grill that does both and it not expensive but is built to last though. :)

I don't think the grill that you want exists. Seriously.  

Burger on an english muffin eh?...never thought of that..I'll definitely be trying that.

10 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Sirloin steaks on the grill.  Not the best cuts, but did the Montreal Steak Seasoning marinade with olive oil and soy sauce for couple hours, then grilled on the Weber charcoal with mesquite wood chips.

Soooooo out of 100 would ya give the flavor rating a 73?...hehehehe jk...love me some Montreal steak seasoning...couple NY strips over medium charcoal sprinkled with that seasoning than dip the steak in Worcester sauce yummmmmmy!!!

14 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I made a spaghetti casserole for dinner tonight. Angel hair pasta cooked ( my favorite), ground beef, a can of diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian herbs ( I use the variety in the tube), onions and celery. I mixed it all together and put into a glass loaf pan, then added a layer of Italian cheeses. Into the oven at 350° for 30 minutes. Should have had the temp at 325°. 

I'll slice it and freeze most of it, vacuum packed. I am going to experiment with heating up frozen food in a water bath in the freezer bag. I will try this first with one of my stuffed peppers.

This sounds amazing...thank you muchly for sharing this!!!

• Like 1

I froze 5 servings of spaghetti casserole today, that's 6 in total. Add some veggies and I have 5 meals.

Today is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. I have some cooked pork chops, will freeze some, have dinners with some. Tomorrow I am going to Costco in the morning elder hours and see if I can get some salmon fillets. I need some ice cream somethings too. It's a family thing. My mom and brother always had ice cream in the freezer. I've developed this in the last decade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I froze 5 servings of spaghetti casserole today, that's 6 in total. Add some veggies and I have 5 meals.

Today is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich. I have some cooked pork chops, will freeze some, have dinners with some. Tomorrow I am going to Costco in the morning elder hours and see if I can get some salmon fillets. I need some ice cream somethings too. It's a family thing. My mom and brother always had ice cream in the freezer. I've developed this in the last decade.

Hubby ate tons of ice cream & sherbet. I got into the habit after hospital 😋

I was just thinking tom soup/grilled cheese myself. 😁

• Like 2

Lunch was good!  Tomorrow I am going to make a meatloaf. Adrienne got some hamburger and I have all the ingredients. Dinner tomorrow and then freeze the rest. If I can get the salmon tomorrow, I'll be set for another month. I need to get some other stuff for variety.

13 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I don't think the grill that you want exists. Seriously.  

Actually they do. There are grills out there that do both charcoal and gas. I posted a link in my original post. Just wanted to see what others are using and if that one in the link was any good and if not what was better. 

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Actually they do. There are grills out there that do both charcoal and gas. I posted a link in my original post. Just wanted to see what others are using and if that one in the link was any good and if not what was better. 

I think he was saying you can't get one that does both, is cheap, and is built to last.

18 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I think he was saying you can't get one that does both, is cheap, and is built to last.

The grill i posted actually does both plus has a short-term smoker to boot. Cheap in the sense I am not going to sped $1000+ on a grill. Built to last means, the knobs won't be falling off or melting in a year or two. 

• Like 1

I don't know, grills are like any other tool.   Ones built for a single purpose are going to be better made for that purpose.  A Swiss army grill is going to be ok maybe, but not great at anything.  I have a small Weber Q for ease of use, a Weber ketel for sears and larger cooks and a smoker for smoking.  Fits on my townhouse patio and each does it's job well.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

I know they do and inexpensive grills tend to be junk.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

The grill i posted actually does both plus has a short-term smoker to boot. Cheap in the sense I am not going to sped $1000+ on a grill. Built to last means, the knobs won't be falling off or melting in a year or two. 

Understood.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Understood.

Inexpensive grills are made of inferior materials and tend to rust & fall apart after a few years.  You're better off buying a decent grill, once, or replacing junk, every few years.  

My Weber gas grill is 19 years old and still going strong.  I guarantee that a $300.00 Chargiller won't last nearly that long,  or cook as well.

The only reason that I'm harping on this isn't to be argumentative,  but to help. I'm passionate about BBQ,  grilling and smoking and I feel compelled to share.

At least check out the Amazing Ribs website,  where they have unbiased reviews,  and can help you make an informed decision on your purchase.

https://amazingribs.com/

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Understood.

Inexpensive grills are made of inferior materials and tend to rust & fall apart after a few years.  You're better off buying a decent grill, once, or replacing junk, every few years.  

My Weber gas grill is 19 years old and still going strong.  I guarantee that a $300.00 Chargiller won't last nearly that long,  or cook as well.

The only reason that I'm harping on this isn't to be argumentative,  but to help. I'm passionate about BBQ,  grilling and smoking and I feel compelled to share.

At least check out the Amazing Ribs website,  where they have unbiased reviews,  and can help you make an informed decision on your purchase.

https://amazingribs.com/

I hope this helps!

I was just clarifying a point i made and no arguments from me either. :)

I have a charcoal grill and need to buy a new and bigger one for the big patio i had built. There are times when i want to do charcoal and times where I need something done quick or something that requires a better control of cooking heat I can use the gas part. The Chargrill is not bad. For $400 i am willing to take the risk and see what happens. I like Weber too. My last grill was a weber. The search has begun....

Thanks for the the link though. I will check it out. 

Check out this review and let me know what you think?

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zskins said:

I was just clarifying a point i made and no arguments from me either. :)

I have a charcoal grill and need to buy a new and bigger one for the big patio i had built. There are times when i want to do charcoal and times where I need something done quick or something that requires a better control of cooking heat I can use the gas part. The Chargrill is not bad. For $400 i am willing to take the risk and see what happens. I like Weber too. My last grill was a weber. The search has begun....

Thanks for the the link though. I will check it out. 

Check out this review and let me know what you think?

I wouldn't buy it, but that's me.

It only gets 3.5 stars on Amazon.

If you get it, and store assembly is a reasonable option,  I would pay for it.

Don't forget to check out the quality of construction,  and materials. I.e. does everything bolt up nicely? Are the materials solid, strong? Is metal thick, or is it sheet metal?  Look at the hinges, are they robust, or flimsy?

Also, check out how much available cooking surface, for each style of cooking.  Look to see how easy it is to clean, i.e. grease drip trays, ash cleaning, etc.  

35 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

That's what pastrami is.  Though I soak it after it's corned to get most of the salt back out.  Then add the corriander rub on the outside and smoke.  Steamed to finish right before serving.

I use mustard seed,chili, onion and garlic powder along with the corriader

they about give corned beef away here at certain times of the yr

Edited by twa
  • Like 1