Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread


Recommended Posts

I have a free month of subscription to NYT cooking. Been trying some of their recipes. Some are very good but the general rule of thumb is to triple the quantities of almost every spice. Made a coconut-based chicken curry yesterday that turned out really good.

 

 

303BA2C1-3E92-4756-B236-05A7735F65EA.jpeg

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a sous vide circulator last year, it was marked down from $99.9 to $29.99, at BJ's, so my cheap-ass pounced on it.   I finally started using it last week.  

I did some boneless breasts, filet mignon, (on sale from Costco for $10.00 off per package 😉) and everything turned out great!  I'm digging this cooking method.  Tonight, it's thick-cut boneless pork loin chops.  Dry brined overnight, then brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with a chipotle-based rub, sealed and put in the water bath at 140°. I'll sear them on the grill, after.

 

 

 

20200223_171804.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

62858776-9172-4C68-ABEE-B6CBE5C50728.thumb.jpeg.a89cb91ce943721f75e4951df55e033a.jpeg
 

I also have a Sous Vide immersion circulator.  I did an herb crusted steak.  Put it in the vacuum sealed bag with rosemary, a little onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and butter over night.  Cooked to medium rare in the Sous Vide, about an hour. 
 

Seared off in a cast iron skillet, rested 10 min.

 

It was AMAZING. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsfan1311 how did you do the short ribs?

I Googled a bunch of recipes,  and found one that looked easy. I did not feel like dicking around with a complicated recipe, that involved buying wine. 🙄

Salt,  pepper, browned them over high heat, in a little olive oil, in Dutch oven, took them out and set them aside.  Sauteed an onion, and crushed garlic in the hot pan, added beef broth, worschestershire, brought everything to a simmer, added the ribs, a sprig of rosemary. Covered and and baked 2 1/2 hours at 350°.  I usually smoke them,  but these turned out great. Fall off the bone tender and perfectly spiced.   

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I cheat and have an electric smoker because I just don’t have the time to mess with a wood burning one.  And if it’s too cold outside the thing can’t keep temperature.  Shrug.  

Cheap webber charcoal grill, decent size one..get the charcoal going good n hot, than move all charcoal over to one side, soak wood chips for ten minutes once charcoal is moved all over to one side dump a handful of wood chips right on the hot coals and meat on the opposite side..add wood chips every half hour or so...as ya see in the pics above it even works in cold temperatures...BAM!!

Edited by bakedtater1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Cheap webber charcoal grill, decent size one..get the charcoal going good n hot, than move all charcoal over to one side, soak wood chips for ten minutes once charcoal is moved all over to one side dump a handful of wood chips right on the hot coals and meat on the opposite side..add wood chips every half hour or so...as ya see in the pics above it even works in cold temperatures...BAM!!

Plug in, put in wood chis, push button, BAM. 

 

 

Much easier, same results.  Just doesn't work when the temps are below 55.  Shrug.  I'm not getting another grill/smoker anytime soon.

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Plug in, put in wood chis, push button, BAM. 

 

 

Much easier, same results.  Just doesn't work when the temps are below 55.  Shrug.  I'm not getting another grill/smoker anytime 

While I feel that electric smokers are an affront to humanity,(and proof that terrorists sometimes win),you can still use it in colder temps.  

They make insulating blankets for them. You can also use a hot water heater blanket.

I think tater was baked with his advice 😂...too much effort, and too much smoke. 

Whatever smoke flavor is going to be absorbed by the food, will have been do so within the first hour, or so. After that, it becomes bittter.

If you ever get the urge to step up your smoking and grilling game, all you need is a cheap Weber kettle, (used ones are easily found on LetGo, or Craig's list), along with a Slow n Sear insert,(Google it), is all that's needed.

 

Screenshot_20200303-061011_Chrome.jpg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

While I feel that electric smokers are an affront to humanity,(and proof that terrorists sometimes win),you can still use it in colder temps.  

I did not know about these.  This could be a game changer.  

 

I won't defend the electric smoker except to say it's mad easy, maintains temperature extremely well, and you get a really good smoke.  The ribs I do during the summer are absolutely outstanding.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I did not know about these.  This could be a game changer.  

 

I won't defend the electric smoker except to say it's mad easy, maintains temperature extremely well, and you get a really good smoke.  The ribs I do during the summer are absolutely outstanding.  

There's nothing to defend.

You're happy with the results, and that's all that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...