Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

34 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Giving this one a try tomorrow https://pitboss-grills.com/recipes/smoked-chuck-roast

don’t have the sweet heat so will like just use another combination of light sweet and savory with a little heat

You will love it.

I use the recipes from the Amazing Ribs site.

Basically,  for sliced,  dry brine it the night before,  smoke at 225°-240°, and pull it off the smoker when the meat hits 180°.

For pulled, dry brine the night before, use, the Big Bad Beef Rub,(easy to make), take it to 160°, wrap tightly in foil, and take it to 205°

Definitely let them rest, minimum 1/2 hr.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

You will love it.

I use the recipes from the Amazing Ribs site.

Basically,  for sliced,  dry brine it the night before,  smoke at 225°-240°, and pull it off the smoker when the meat hits 180°.

For pulled, dry brine the night before, use, the Big Bad Beef Rub,(easy to make), take it to 160°, wrap tightly in foil, and take it to 205°

Definitely let them rest, minimum 1/2 hr.

Thanks!  Used most of what I found for that run except substituted the hotter spices with red pepper and slap ya mama (didn’t have the other).

5F78650B-7AB1-49CC-AE2A-218F39295D40.jpeg

Edited by steve09ru
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, steve09ru said:

Giving this one a try tomorrow https://pitboss-grills.com/recipes/smoked-chuck-roast

don’t have the sweet heat so will like just use another combination of light sweet and savory with a little heat

A smoked chuck roast is my favorite. Add onions, green/red peppers & a couple of toasted homemade hoagie rolls....image.jpeg.2a3e788a1576466081679b908d228511.jpeg 

• Like 2

Going to pick this up in a few hours.  A friend made 3 of them to give away to friends.  Injected with McKenna 10 Bourbon and apple juice.  Wrapped and warmed with peach juice.  Smoked with apple wood and barrel char.  

93570617_2626967620957240_8819493700548689920_n.thumb.jpg.eb1d1da621e9e06c66fab8d1fc3f6fb9.jpg

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Going to pick this up in a few hours.  A friend made 3 of them to give away to friends.  Injected with McKenna 10 Bourbon and apple juice.  Wrapped and warmed with peach juice.  Smoked with apple wood and barrel char.  

93570617_2626967620957240_8819493700548689920_n.thumb.jpg.eb1d1da621e9e06c66fab8d1fc3f6fb9.jpg

Sounds good, but a waste of the Mckenna.  The bark looks incredible!

Let us know how it tastes!

Jackie gave me some barrel staves, from used Maker's barrels, when we visited the distillery.  I cut a couple of up and toss them on the coals sometimes.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sounds good, but a waste of the Mckenna.  The bark looks incredible!

Let us know how it tastes!

Jackie gave me some barrel staves, from used Maker's barrels, when we visited the distillery.  I cut a couple of up and toss them on the coals sometimes.

You know we have a little extra whiskey sitting around.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A cheesesteak is thinly sliced steak  prepared on a hot griddle.

There are numerous other beef sandwiches that aren’t “just a cheesesteak”.

So quotient for thickness? Or is there a preparation method that separates the two? I think the two coincide with each other equate basically the same thing if you're having Peppers mushrooms, onions, cheese even to say without the cheese.

Okay, maybe it's just a steak sandwich. 

6 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

So quotient for thickness? Or is there a preparation method that separates the two? I think the two coincide with each other equate basically the same thing if you're having Peppers mushrooms, onions, cheese even to say without the cheese.

Okay, maybe it's just a steak sandwich. 

People put onions and mushrooms on pit beef, french dip, etc.  Technically, if you ask someone from Philly they would say mushrooms and peppers disqualify it from being a true cheesesteak.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

People put onions and mushrooms on pit beef, french dip, etc.  Technically, if you ask someone from Philly they would say mushrooms and peppers disqualify it from being a true cheesesteak.

Mushrooms on pit beef?!??

Blasphemy!!

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Mushrooms on anything, personally.

But my primary point was that there are tons of beef sandwiches with cheese and other toppings, that aren’t necessarily ‘cheesesteaks’.

Hey, I sprinkle hot sauce on greens, then dip 'em in ketchup,  so who am I to judge?

I love mushrooms too but, Mrs Skinsfan hates them..😑

• Sad 1

Was a little hard to pull and seems a little tough still.  Thought I had it at 203 but seems like a few spots are stuck at about 195 or so.  

*caught a bad spot when trying to pull earlier and the claws weren’t doing much.  Forks were much easier on it

Edited by steve09ru