Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

8 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I'd smoke it for sure.  The only other way I know that pork shoulder comes out really good is deep fried for carnitas.  You can cut it up for that but use big chunks.  Also probably best done outside if possible.

Agreed...BUT - make sure you allow enough time to smoke it. Depending on the size (and bone in/out) it could take a while to smoke at 250 degrees. 

• Like 1

If you have an instapot, The pioneer woman’s carnitas recipe is both easy and incredible.  It’s the only thing we’ve ever used the instapot for.  Not typically wise to follow a woman from Oklahoma on Mexican food, but this recipe is legit.  Made it for a party right after Christmas and everyone loved it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/pork-carnitas-5365857

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If you have an instapot, The pioneer woman’s carnitas recipe is both easy and incredible.  It’s the only thing we’ve ever used the instapot for.  Not typically wise to follow a woman from Oklahoma on Mexican food, but this recipe is legit.  Made it for a party right after Christmas and everyone loved it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/pork-carnitas-5365857

What is an instapot?

On 4/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, EmirOfShmo said:

Agreed...BUT - make sure you allow enough time to smoke it. Depending on the size (and bone in/out) it could take a while to smoke at 250 degrees. 

....and worth ever minute.

Smoking a chunk of meat takes time, besides, what's the hurry?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Uhhh...I don't recall saying there was one. Trying to make sure the proper time was allotted to cook the pork. 

Uhhh.....okay?

For me, and a lot of my friends, it's an all day affair, and a great way to relax.  I put the meat on, and chill out, have a few drinks, read a book, whatever.

Maybe I should've stated something like, @Voice_of_Reason

Each cut is different, and it's tough to put a timeline on it.  I've had a 5 lb roast done in as little as 6 hours, and a 4 lb roast take as long as 10.

For pork butts, I try to keep them under ~ 4-5 lbs. I usually get 8-10 lb roasts, then have the butcher cut 'em in 1/2.   Go bigger and it can easily take 10-14 hrs.    If you're feeding a crowd, you can stick a couple of smaller ones on, and it takes a less time.   

So....to give you a rough idea of the time to allot, I'd say minimum, at least 8 hours. That doesn't count resting time, (at least 1/2 hour).    It's better that it's done earlier, rather than later.   

If it's done earlier than anticipated, (which rarely happens), you can double-wrap it in foil, and stick it in a cooler, with a few towels.  (it's called a "faux cambro")    The meat will stay piping hot for hours in the cooler.   I usually put a couple gallons of hot water in it first, then dump it, to pre-heat the cooler.

Is that better? 

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, China said:

Just made some honey/sesame/chili/garlic wings:

And you didn't invite the active members in this thread over why?  Those look awesome. And I'm not a huge fan of wings, but those, I would chow down on.

@Skinsfan1311 Do you do anything to prepare the meat?  The one thing I've seen so far is to use a good dry rub to get a good bark.  That I can handle.  I've seen some methods where you inject the butt with some type of liquid, brining it all day the day before, take it out after it reaches a certain temperature "the stall", wrap it in foil to complete the cooking, just a wide variety of things,

Any thoughts?  My initial thought would be to use a lot of salt and pepper, a good, thick rub, throw it in the smoker and let it go with a good amount of smoke until done.  Thoughts? Then let it rest appropriately.

I have a good wireless meat thermometer I can use while in the smoker, and I'm not going anywhere, so I should be able to tell when it's done and if it takes 10-12 hours, it really doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

@Voice_of_Reason I am a mere novice compared to @Skinsfan1311 as I only use a pellet smoker and have smoked maybe a half dozen pork shoulders.  But I’ve never smoked a bad one.  

All I’ve ever done to prepare the meat is make my own rub, apply it, and let it smoke.  No brines or injections, and they’ve all been great.  I’ve both applied the rub the night before and applied it right before it goes on, never noticed much difference.  I’ve tried spritzing it while smoking with apple juice/apple cider vinegar and sometimes not.  Never really noticed much difference to be honest.

I think the primary keys are a good rub, a consistent, low smoking temp, and just letting it do it’s thing until it’s time to pull it.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And you didn't invite the active members in this thread over why?  Those look awesome. And I'm not a huge fan of wings, but those, I would chow down on.

@Skinsfan1311 Do you do anything to prepare the meat?  The one thing I've seen so far is to use a good dry rub to get a good bark.  That I can handle.  I've seen some methods where you inject the butt with some type of liquid, brining it all day the day before, take it out after it reaches a certain temperature "the stall", wrap it in foil to complete the cooking, just a wide variety of things,

Any thoughts?  My initial thought would be to use a lot of salt and pepper, a good, thick rub, throw it in the smoker and let it go with a good amount of smoke until done.  Thoughts? Then let it rest appropriately.

I have a good wireless meat thermometer I can use while in the smoker, and I'm not going anywhere, so I should be able to tell when it's done and if it takes 10-12 hours, it really doesn't bother me.

Your method sounds spot on.

I dry brine the night before.   Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of kosher salt per lb.  It works through osmosis, (just Google dry-brine).  I dry brine pretty much all the meat I BBQ, grill, fry and roast.   I fire up the kettle, moisten the roast, generously apply the rub, (I use Meatheads Memphis Dust recipe..which lends itself to low and slow and helps create a beautiful bark), then stick it in when the temp hits 225 at the grate.   I have an attachment, in the Weber kettle, called a Slow n Sear...basically it's an over-sized stainless steel charcoal basket with a water reservoir.  It'll hold temp all day, with a little fluctuation.     I shoot for anywhere between 225-260 for butts, as they're very forgiving.    I set the leave in thermometer for 195 and check.  If it's probe tender, I take it off.  If not probe tender, I take it to 203, (which seems to be the magic number), double wrap it and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.   

"The stall"  is the bane of backyard cooks. it could take an hour...it can take 4...it can be aggravating, for sure, especially to people just starting out.  For the record, I never foil butts, I just wait it out.  The only cut that I ever foil, is brisket and only then, when there's a very nice bark otherwise, you ruin that beautiful bark.  If you foil, wrap whatever it is, very tightly.  The only other exception, is when Mrs. Skinsfan requests 3-2-1 ribs.   I don't care for "falling off the bone" ribs, but she does, so I "suffer" 

I make all of my own rubs, and none of them contain salt, since I'm using salt as the brine.  Giving credit, where credit is due, I use rub recipes that I find on the web.  Mainly from the Amazing Ribs web-site, and my BBQ brethren on the Pitmaster forums or any of Steve Raichlen's books.  

It's a great time for this topic.    I put a 4.4lb butt on at 9:00am.   Temps have averaged ~ 245.   Let's see what happens.    Pics to follow!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In other news I flipped an omelet in the pan without using a spatula AND NOT having it end up on the floor for the first time.   My batting average is now 1.000 because it’s also the first time I’ve ever tried.  Always been too scared to try...  Now I wish I could go back to my 18 year old self and tell him that it’s not that damn hard and to not be a scaredy-cat.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In other news I flipped an omelet in the pan without using a spatula AND NOT having it end up on the floor for the first time.   My batting average is now 1.000 because it’s also the first time I’ve ever tried.  Always been too scared to try...  Now I wish I could go back to my 18 year old self and tell him that it’s not that damn hard and to not be a scaredy-cat.  

Well done!  It's all in they wrist, Man!

You'll know that you've arrived, when you can saute pans full of shrimp, without a spatula,  at the ES tailgate, over a small camp stove, after throwing down a few shots.  They're always sending the cooks drinks!

Full disclosure:  I have been known to miss the pan completely,  with the occasional shrimp. My technique is much better sober. 

On the pork side of things, after 6 hours, at an average temp of 145°, the butt is at 190°.  No stall, yet.  Every once in a while,  you luck out, and muscle right through it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Well done!  It's all in they wrist, Man!

You'll know that you've arrived, when you can saute pans full of shrimp, without a spatula,  at the ES tailgate, over a small camp stove, after throwing down a few shots.  They're always sending the cooks drinks!

Full disclosure:  I have been known to miss the pan completely,  with the occasional shrimp. My technique is much better sober. 

On the pork side of things, after 6 hours, at an average temp of 145°, the butt is at 190°.  No stall, yet.  Every once in a while,  you luck out, and muscle right through it.

I’ve been sautéing all kinds of things without a spatula for years.  Shrimp, shrooms, onions, all kinds of things.  

The mental block has been keeping an omelet together while flipping, and then having it land in the pan.  It’s about the only thing I didn’t  flip.  

Did you mean average temp of 245?  145 seems a bit low... 

I think I’m going to try the butt next weekend.  It was frozen and it’s huge so I’m going to throw it in the fridge and see if it will defrost over a week slowly.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’ve been sautéing all kinds of things without a spatula for years.  Shrimp, shrooms, onions, all kinds of things.  

The mental block has been keeping an omelet together while flipping, and then having it land in the pan.  It’s about the only thing I didn’t  flip.  

Did you mean average temp of 245?  145 seems a bit low... 

I think I’m going to try the butt next weekend.  It was frozen and it’s huge so I’m going to throw it in the fridge and see if it will defrost over a week slowly.  

Oops! Yes, 245° 

I've been sipping whiskey and reading on the back porch 😉😂

I would definitely cut that beast in half, before attempting smoke it.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Done! 

It took 9 hours but, it was probably ready in 7, (at 196°), but I had all day, and thought,  "what the ****?", and let her hit 203°, (the magic #). Average grill temp was ~ 245°.  Probe went in like buttah.  Wrapped and rested for an hour.

Served up with cornbread,  greens and Carolina vinegar sauce.

20200419_085310.jpg

20200419_180409.jpg

20200419_192543.jpg

20200419_190633.jpg

• Like 9

I absolutely killed a flank steak on the grill this evening.  My wife is preggers so I was going for well done and got the ends well done or close to it, and then the middle pieces while not quite as rare as we would normally eat, was rare enough and it tasted oh so good.  It was a 2lb flank steak.  My wife had one of the pieces that wasn't well done and loved it lol.

NRifESm.jpg

• Like 7