Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

13 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

The rub blend was solid!  Wish it had a little more heat but was missing cayenne so had to adjust

Cayenne, Chipotle & Ancho chile powders are staples in the pantry.

Ancho doesn't have any heat, but a great flavor.  I mix it with a little brown sugar, along with cumin,  cracked black pepper & kosher salt, then put it on cedar planked salmon.  That **** disappears, quickly,  at tailgate parties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Marinated one of the tuna steaks in soy sauce, brown sugar & garlic. (I was never in charge of searing the tuna, so this was the first time I did it myself. )

I like it about medium, and it got a little too done on the inside, and not quite crispy enough outside...so I've already figured out what to do next time. 

I made brown rice and corn for sides. 

• Like 4

For some reason I want just some old fashioned Chinese food tonight. 

Shrimp fried rice, Pork fried rice, Eggrolls, etc. 

Flipside, I should have already started ribs when I was planning for it last night.

I miss DC carryout Chinese. It's certainly not genuine, but it is tasty. 

I could easily hook up some wings. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I could easily hook up some wings. 

That's one thing I've been craving, that we haven't had any of since quarantine.  My smoker is currently sitting under the deck and my deep fryer on the shelf in the basement.  As if I couldn't have been smoking dinner practically everyday during all this.

• Like 2

Me too, Kosher. My favorite Chinese place is closed, the place closest to me is terrible. There's a good place near work, but I'd have to go out, and I've got some frozen PF Chang's fried rice. I can cook a chicken breast & throw it in there. That'll have to do for now. 😁

I really want some fried dumplings & shrimp toast, tho. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I've got some frozen PF Chang's fried rice.

That stuff is actually pretty good and I think outweighs going through the motions of making your own from scratch.  Although I like it better when it's on sale.  You don't get very much for the full price, at least not at the grocery stores I go to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the restaurants around me have one decent dish and the rest are horrible. It makes experimenting on a limited budget a non starter. E.g., the local chinese place has decent shrimp with lobster sauce and pepper steak. The soups are pretty awful and the fried rice bland. There's a good pho place, everything else is so so. I still haven't found a decent pizza place, so I bought some Jiffy pizza mix, haven't used it yet. 

I cook so much better than going to restaurants.

Scored 2 lbs of Dungeness crab legs at the store pickup today. Also, some thick pork chops, chicken thighs, a trimmed brisket, and some other staples. My freezer will be full again.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2

When life gives ya lemons...grill!!!

20200426_170547.jpg

On 4/22/2020 at 2:42 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Most of the restaurants around me have one decent dish and the rest are horrible. It makes experimenting on a limited budget a non starter. E.g., the local chinese place has decent shrimp with lobster sauce and pepper steak. The soups are pretty awful and the fried rice bland. There's a good pho place, everything else is so so. I still haven't found a decent pizza place, so I bought some Jiffy pizza mix, haven't used it yet. 

I cook so much better than going to restaurants.

Scored 2 lbs of Dungeness crab legs at the store pickup today. Also, some thick pork chops, chicken thighs, a trimmed brisket, and some other staples. My freezer will be full again.

I'll give ya my address..please freeze and ship to me..watch your mail for money from me lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

True, I can't afford it, so I cook! Your grill looks packed!

So make money..cook and ship to people..lol..thanks.. it was supposed to be just the New York strips but then the chicken need to be cooked and I had a bottle of teriyaki marinade hehe

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’ve been making this recipe a bunch lately. The roux makes it. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220895/old-charleston-style-shrimp-and-grits/

Much more involved than the recipe I use, which is just lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, green onion, bacon and shrimp (and cheese grits, of course).  The peppers do well in it?  

46 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

Much more involved than the recipe I use, which is just lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, green onion, bacon and shrimp (and cheese grits, of course).  The peppers do well in it?  

Oh man the red and yellow peppers are amazing in it. Definitely try it with a roux once (or twice if you screw it up :ols: ). So worth it. 

• Thanks 2