Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Tonight I am having some Chinese dumplings and a piece of salmon marinated in a ginger, chili, and lime juice mix.  I have to get to Costco and get some more salmon fillets.

Are you making the dumplings from scratch? Share the recipe? 
 

We’re having an extremely eclectic mix of leftover stir-fried veggies, sous-vide salmon (making tonight for the first time with salmon we didn’t use for the meal earlier this week), and leftover fettuccine Alfredo from a really good Italian restaurant we ordered from last night.  The pasta will be mostly for the kids though.  But I love it too... 

 

When the world is locked down, there are no rules and Italian can go with Chinese and nobody is allowed to complain.  

11 minutes ago, China said:

Making a standing rib roast, Redskin (of course) mashed potatoes and asparagus.

I live in great falls if you want to drop some off, social distance appropriate of course... :P 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Tonight I am having some Chinese dumplings and a piece of salmon marinated in a ginger, chili, and lime juice mix.  I have to get to Costco and get some more salmon fillets.

Do you get the frozen salmon filets at Costco? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Do you get the frozen salmon filets at Costco? 

 

Yes, end of February before everything popped. I should have bought two bags. I usually buy the wild caught but was watching my budget so went for the farmed salmon. Was pleasantly surprised when I opened the bag and they were skinned fillets. I have 4 fillets left after tonight, and my membership expires 4-20. So I want to get some more before then. Hope to send my daughter, she looks enough like me on the black and white picture on the card from years ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Are you making the dumplings from scratch? Share the recipe? 
 

We’re having an extremely eclectic mix of leftover stir-fried veggies, sous-vide salmon (making tonight for the first time with salmon we didn’t use for the meal earlier this week), and leftover fettuccine Alfredo from a really good Italian restaurant we ordered from last night.  The pasta will be mostly for the kids though.  But I love it too... 

 

When the world is locked down, there are no rules and Italian can go with Chinese and nobody is allowed to complain.  

I live in great falls if you want to drop some off, social distance appropriate of course... :P 

 

No, the dumplings are frozen from Costco, and pretty good. Six dumplings to a pack, I believe there were 6 maybe 9 packs I can't remember. Lots of things I buy are premade because I only cook for me. And I really don't like leftovers unless I am making a large amount to freeze. Then they don't taste like leftovers. 

 

One thing I recently learned: don't let stuffed peppers thaw, just reheat frozen in the microwave. If you let thaw, the rice gets mushy. Tastes okay but mouthfeel is not that great.

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Breakfast in a bowl. Grits, crumbled sausage, scrambled eggs, & cheddar.

 

 

Like your breakfast in a bowl! Maybe breakfast tomorrow since I have everything.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

One thing I recently learned: don't let stuffed peppers thaw, just reheat frozen in the microwave. If you let thaw, the rice gets mushy. Tastes okay but mouthfeel is not that great.

Everything about peppers is gross, so that advice is not for me. :)

 

i’m going to learn how to make dumplings. 

CDB0317F-CEA1-43B2-ACB8-C9E84F4C4E9E.thumb.jpeg.afc3161d3097dee26baad3cea8163cfe.jpeg

Sous Vide Salmon, then hard sear.  Leftover veggie stir fry. 
 

I had never Sous Vide fish before.  Turned out well but I’m going to go for a lower cooking temp next time to get the cook more medium...

 

My daughter demanded I post the picture of her cupcake.  So I am.  It is completely made from scratch by my wife who is an an outstanding baker.  The icing also made from scratch, and was perfect except my daughter couldn’t wait for the picture and picked at it.  I can’t bake boxed brownies.  So we compliment each. A99A24AD-3E56-4954-847D-1AD0FC65737B.thumb.jpeg.aeae409c4376337eaa0bbe02d2772ce4.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, China said:

Making a standing rib roast, Redskin (of course) mashed potatoes and asparagus.

 

Well, I had the time and energy so I decided to do a little more, making a wine/mushroom gravy and hollandaise sauce (the first time I've ever made it, and it turned out well :) ).

 

Personally, I think the roast may have come out the best of any I've made to date.  

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

For dinner tonight it was.... Just your basic lamb chops well marinated with some species including some turmeric (hence the slight yellowish color). :)

 

 

91372260_10222595107092246_5404479158124281856_o.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of grill you all have. I am thinking of getting all-in-one (really want to stop from going back and forth between the gas and the charcol - my current situation). I was looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Texas-Trio-3-Burner-Dual-Fuel-Grill-with-Smoker-in-Black-3070/302624342

 

Plus are the smoker and the side burner as well. 

 

Thoughts?

 

 

Edited by zskins
Link to post
Share on other sites

^^My neighbor has that model & likes it. The downside is if you want to do a long smoke it won't hold the temperature because it's not insulated. 

 

I have a Char-Griller Akorn. It's a metal, insulated kamado-style smoker/grill. When I was researching kamado's I stumbled across this model on a website (kamadoguru.com). I didn't want to pull the trigger on a >$1K & >700LB ceramic kamado. This grill had some really good reviews. I've had it for 7 years & paid $150 at Kroger's during their 4th of July sale. I can hold a 250 temp for 12-14 hours with no problem. And it's also good for grilling anything. I like to use it to bake bread. There are 2 models - I have the standalone model with the shelves on either side.

 

image.png.74fabda427c6adfee89e5c245dc5edfe.pngimage.png.6164ee3f694d91b5e8e29ffc766564d2.png         

 

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/kamado-grills/products/akorn-kamado-16820

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point assuming the entire world economy doesn’t collapse, we’re going to build an outdoor kitchen, and I think I’m going to have a green egg built into it.  I know 4 professional chefs who have the green egg, and they just love it.  I’ve never cooked on one myself but I’m hopeful.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^My neighbor has that model & likes it. The downside is if you want to do a long smoke it won't hold the temperature because it's not insulated. 

 

    

 

 

 

you can throw a thermal blanket on it for long smokes, no need on mine since it is 1/2"thick

https://bbqgaskets.com/specialty/welding-smoker-blankets.html

 

I like the offset smokers, one day I'll add gas for quicker grilling and sides ect

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

At some point assuming the entire world economy doesn’t collapse, we’re going to build an outdoor kitchen, and I think I’m going to have a green egg built into it.  I know 4 professional chefs who have the green egg, and they just love it.  I’ve never cooked on one myself but I’m hopeful.  

The cost of a BGE was the breaker for me. I couldn't justify the price for the size I wanted. An XL BGE has a grill diameter of 24" & costs $1,700. The large BGE grill diameter is 18.25". My Akorn has a grill diameter of 19.75". Plus the Akorn has an additional grill grate (included) that expands the total grill area. When I'm smoking ribs I use the top grate for corn on the cob or potatoes because there's no room with the ribs. 

In the end, the goal is to be able to maintain a temp for as long as you need to. There are many, many types of kamado's that will do that. To me, it came down to price & performance. 

Oh, one other thing on the BGE, make sure you include the cost of the stand to hold it. I think the call it a 'Nest' lol

 

image.png.24b0b36b7919450c41c400c36f4dd822.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Experimenting with a little bit of corn meal in the pancake mix this morning in an effort to make Johnny cakes.  This whole thing is definitely expanding my repertoire, by necessity.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^My neighbor has that model & likes it. The downside is if you want to do a long smoke it won't hold the temperature because it's not insulated. 

 

I have a Char-Griller Akorn. It's a metal, insulated kamado-style smoker/grill. When I was researching kamado's I stumbled across this model on a website (kamadoguru.com). I didn't want to pull the trigger on a >$1K & >700LB ceramic kamado. This grill had some really good reviews. I've had it for 7 years & paid $150 at Kroger's during their 4th of July sale. I can hold a 250 temp for 12-14 hours with no problem. And it's also good for grilling anything. I like to use it to bake bread. There are 2 models - I have the standalone model with the shelves on either side.         

 

https://www.chargriller.com/collections/kamado-grills/products/akorn-kamado-16820

 

I don't think I would be doing any long term smoking but at least it comes with it so just a nice add-on. It also had pretty good reviews on Amazon and Home Depot website. This will be number 1 on my list unless i stumble across something else. 

 

 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, zskins said:

What kind of grill you all have. I am thinking of getting all-in-one (really want to stop from going back and forth between the gas and the charcol - my current situation). I was looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Texas-Trio-3-Burner-Dual-Fuel-Grill-with-Smoker-in-Black-3070/302624342

 

Plus are the smoker and the side burner as well. 

 

Thoughts?

 

 

I have three- a large Big Green Egg, large Weber Kettle and a small propane gas grill I use to tailgate- and have on a stand outside.  

 

I love the BGE, and got the kettle for some easier things rather than going through the process of getting the egg heated up and keeping up on cleaning it out.  

 

My next purchase is going to be the new Weber pellet grill.  Pellet may be the way for you to go if you can't decide between gas and charcoal, as it's the best of both.  You can set the temperature for low and slow, all the way up to searing temps at 600*.  Pellets are loaded in easily and aren't as messy as charcoal, and you can combine flavor pellets for different tastes.  And the new Weber is compatible with Wi-Fi and you can control the temperature, as well as have four probes, set via Wi-Fi on an app.  Although the Weber pellet grill is more than double the price of what you linked.  

 

Really, it all depends on what you currently need a grill for, as well as what you realistically intend to use it for.  A lot of people get something like a BGE and spend a lot of money on it, and only put things on it that they could use a much cheaper gas grill or charcoal grill for.  

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

At some point assuming the entire world economy doesn’t collapse, we’re going to build an outdoor kitchen, and I think I’m going to have a green egg built into it.  I know 4 professional chefs who have the green egg, and they just love it.  I’ve never cooked on one myself but I’m hopeful.  

Great choice, I love my BGE.  Although as someone just posted above another reply here, it is very expensive, and I also think people get a BGE when another cheaper grill would suffice.  If you plan to do things that are low and slow like ribs, brisket, etc, it's probably one of your best options.  But I know a lot of people who have bought one and just do steak, wings and burgers on it, and it's really a waste, both from a money perspective as well as time (it does take some time to get it set up and ready to cook, and most people could get a gas grill or kettle grill up in much less time.). 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love reading about all you guys grills! Unfortunately, as an apartment dweller, the most I can have is a grill pan. I actually like the one I recently bought because I can take the handle off and stick it in the oven. It's almost like being there! So far I've cooked salmon, pork chops, and a ribeye. They turned out pretty good. I do miss my house though. No garden, no sun as my apartment faces north which is okay in the summer, and no grill. So I live vicariously through my ES family!

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, zskins said:

What kind of grill you all have. I am thinking of getting all-in-one (really want to stop from going back and forth between the gas and the charcol - my current situation). I was looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Griller-Texas-Trio-3-Burner-Dual-Fuel-Grill-with-Smoker-in-Black-3070/302624342

 

Plus are the smoker and the side burner as well. 

 

Thoughts?

 

 

I can't make an unbiased remark on your post. 😁.

That being said....Chargrillers are junk, IMHO, and many others in the grilling/BBQ circles I run in. 

You can get a used Weber kettle, and/or gasser, cheap on Letgo, Craigslist, etc.

FB_IMG_1525976937806.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I love reading about all you guys grills! Unfortunately, as an apartment dweller, the most I can have is a grill pan. I actually like the one I recently bought because I can take the handle off and stick it in the oven. It's almost like being there! So far I've cooked salmon, pork chops, and a ribeye. They turned out pretty good. I do miss my house though. No garden, no sun as my apartment faces north which is okay in the summer, and no grill. So I live vicariously through my ES family!

Now, I haven't tried this, because I just got my airfryer, but I am definitely thinking about trying this.  I use GrillGrates on my grills, as they do a lot of good- they disperse heat evenly, give excellent grill marks and can be flipped upside down on a grill and used as a flat-top (making diner-style smash burgers is a great use for them.). They are now making them for indoor use.  Here is the link to them, as well as a link on smash burgers.  

 

In any case, if they work like they do on the outside grills, they should provide a great indoor cooking experience as well.  

 

https://www.grillgrate.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjbr45trA6AIVEBgMCh3Nag8TEAAYASAAEgKHdfD_BwE

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Really, it all depends on what you currently need a grill for.......

 

I threw out my old gas grill that i semi-converted it to able to put charcoal on the bottom of the burners and used the gas at the same time. The flavor. My brother-in-law brought me the grill I use now that has the blower on the side. It is not very tall and you have to pull up a chair next to it do the grilling. I love this grill. Now that my new deck has been built i need to get a grill that has both options. The gas for some items and the charcoal for others.

 

So really want just one grill that does both and it not expensive but is built to last though. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Now, I haven't tried this, because I just got my airfryer, but I am definitely thinking about trying this.  I use GrillGrates on my grills, as they do a lot of good- they disperse heat evenly, give excellent grill marks and can be flipped upside down on a grill and used as a flat-top (making diner-style smash burgers is a great use for them.). They are now making them for indoor use.  Here is the link to them, as well as a link on smash burgers.  

 

In any case, if they work like they do on the outside grills, they should provide a great indoor cooking experience as well.  

 

https://www.grillgrate.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjbr45trA6AIVEBgMCh3Nag8TEAAYASAAEgKHdfD_BwE

 

 

GrillGrates?

Never heard of 'em. 😉

20200327_191507.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...