Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Robert, there should be no off-season

GoldSkinner

Yep. Same guy.  How is that Griffin's fault?  Your comment is that he needs to put in the time.  Its obvious that he's already doing that.  Just another hate thread.....

GRIFFIN HASN'T WON A GAME IN OVER 13 MONTHS!

I don't know why this is labeled a hate thread! This is "being generous" thread. It could a lot worse. That's how bad RG3 is playing

I guess Morris needs a coach too because he can't run anymore.  It's not a one-dimensional problem.  Griffin is not winning, but that's not all on him.  Haslett sure owns a piece of it. The line does too.  Coaching is at fault.

It's too simple and frankly stupid to pin this on Robert or even the majority.  For all his "mechanical" problems, isn't he hitting about 75% of his passes this year.  The problem is he's gotten a little gun shy because he's use to only having 1.2 seconds before getting pressured.  Over the last 5 games, the Redskins with Griffin and Colt as QB have given up a full season's worth of sacks.

Every QB that played this year seems to get worse as the starts pile up. That speaks to something other than the QB.

The QB is part of it, but I think you'd be shocked what you would see from all three behind a line that merely bad.  If we had a C- line, we'd be killing teams.  The problem is we have to look up to hope for a D performance and that's going to kill everything.

But these guys do have a life outside of football...

If he wants to have a football life at all, he's going to have to skip vacation time. Football careers are too short, they make millins, they should be honing their skills year round. Or do some more subway commercials, see how long that gravy train lasts.

Guys its over....have u not seen him in a non gimmick offense?? He looks terrible just face it its time to move on. 

Glad you're not part of this organization.

If he wants to have a football life at all, he's going to have to skip vacation time. Football careers are too short, they make millins, they should be honing their skills year round. Or do some more subway commercials, see how long that gravy train lasts.

There's also a thing called over-thinking.  If one over-thinks things, it can be just as bad as not doing enough 'honing of skills'.  It's important to have a proper balance of time on and time off.  Anyone who's skillful at anything will tell you that.

As expected, the sharks sense blood and swarm all over it.  Has Robert played well? No. But does he deserve 100% of the blame? Hell no. This nonsense about how "RG3 hasn't won a game in x months" is just that....nonsense.  It's a TEAM game.  The offensive line hasn't blocked well, the running game is subpar, the secondary hasn't covered well, special teams has sucked (except Tress), etc.  And lets not even go into how Gruden has failed in all this.

As for the OP, and as has already been stated, Robert has already held several offseason workouts with his receivers and worked with Shea.  We're still talking about a guy who's only had two offseasons; and only one with Gruden.  He improved against the Giants, so how about waiting to see if he can build on it?

Ah, who am I kidding....there's only a handful of people in here willing to be objective about the whole thing anyway.

Well, that is discouraging! If he is already doing it and regressing, big trouble.

Every single one in the country, pee wee football and up! Couldn't hurt.

Regressing from what? A OROY season where the offense was tailored to his strengths from college and developing him in the pocket was stunted for short-term glory? A season coming off a major injury on a poorly-developed team? This season is basically square one and he's improved from earlier in the year.

He does need to improve, but people on here should have expectations tempered when RG3 has been injured most of the season, is in year 1 of a new offense and year 1 of actually developing in the pocket, and all the while is doing this behind one of the absolute worst lines in the league. The Giants game was actually good for him and is a reasonable base expectation of what we should see from him for the last 2 games (with growth seen above the set base expectation of the Giants game).

Also, how about we actually HIRE a QB coach?

As expected, the sharks sense blood and swarm all over it.  Has Robert played well? No. But does he deserve 100% of the blame? Hell no. This nonsense about how "RG3 hasn't won a game in x months" is just that....nonsense.  It's a TEAM game.  The offensive line hasn't blocked well, the running game is subpar, the secondary hasn't covered well, special teams has sucked (except Tress), etc.  And lets not even go into how Gruden has failed in all this.

As for the OP, and as has already been stated, Robert has already held several offseason workouts with his receivers and worked with Shea.  We're still talking about a guy who's only had two offseasons; and only one with Gruden.  He improved against the Giants, so how about waiting to see if he can build on it?

Ah, who am I kidding....there's only a handful of people in here willing to be objective about the whole thing anyway.

The question isn't "has he played well" or "is he 100% the blame", the answers to those are no and no. Who cares what Kirk and Colt do, the frustration is due to the fact we just took the kids college fund to blackjack table and probably got our arce kicked.

There is nothing good about where Rg3 is at the end of year 3, you can blame whatever you want but in the real world you cant keep making excuses for what you are becoming or have become.  Does it mean he can't turn it around, sure it could happen but its highly unlikely.  Yes you can pull names like Steve Young and some others and that's great but after you make your "took a long time to develop list", right next to it make a list of "Qb's drafted #1 who died a miserable death" and you will find the 2nd list is giving you carpal tunnel due to its length.

It makes me sick this guy is probably not going to work out and if or when he does work out and I'm wrong, it will be great because it means we are successful but just in case this trend continues its current route I think its time to start thinking about plan B's.

Not being a hater, I just don't believe your side (Rg3 lovers) of the story and I think the odds are against you, therefore I cannot agree with you.

How about if Griff finds a QB guru from the West Coast scheme that can help him timing up his drops, his footwork, his eyes, and to help him understand the concepts that he needs to master.  Then when he can work with Gruden again he can to continue to work on the things that are important to this team.

Maybe find a veteran WR that he can throw to that has played in this type of offense.  Someone to help him with matching up the drops with the route timing along with a QB coach.

Edit - RG3 can hire Jon Gruden, he doesn't work for the team!

Who is the guy that Luck works with?  Working with him will do him good in my opinion.  I just want the kid to improve so he can lead this franchise.

HTTR!

The question isn't "has he played well" or "is he 100% the blame", the answers to those are no and no. Who cares what Kirk and Colt do, the frustration is due to the fact we just took the kids college fund to blackjack table and probably got our arce kicked.

There is nothing good about where Rg3 is at the end of year 3, you can blame whatever you want but in the real world you cant keep making excuses for what you are becoming or have become.  Does it mean he can't turn it around, sure it could happen but its highly unlikely.  Yes you can pull names like Steve Young and some others and that's great but after you make your "took a long time to develop list", right next to it make a list of "Qb's drafted #1 who died a miserable death" and you will find the 2nd list is giving you carpal tunnel due to its length.

It makes me sick this guy is probably not going to work out and if or when he does work out and I'm wrong, it will be great because it means we are successful but just in case this trend continues its current route I think its time to start thinking about plan B's.

Not being a hater, I just don't believe your side (Rg3 lovers) of the story and I think the odds are against you, therefore I cannot agree with you.

Yeah, sorry but that last sentence just shows you aren't even worth going back and forth with. 

Yeah, sorry but that last sentence just shows you aren't even worth going back and forth with. 

That last sentence is crucial to what I'm saying, this whole thing between the Rg3's lovers and the "Kirk/Colt" lovers comes down to one thing.  Do I believe our front office, Mike Shanahan, Jay Gruden, and the media have treated Rg3 unfairly and have coached him so poorly that they have stunted his growth as a QB and that's why he has regressed the last 2 years.

I don't believe that theory but you do and that's where we disagree, its not about hate.

it's hard to improve when the rest of the team is playing much worse.   Whether he'd be playing as well if everyone was playing up to their 2012 standards is up for debate.  But we've stunk it up plenty of times when he wasn't on the field the last two season also, so it's hard to say he's dragging the team down.

I can agree with this.

Either you have it or you don't; Griffen can't play QB in this league no matter how hard he works because he doesn't have the ability to do so. No matter how hard I train I can never be a NFL QB myself its why so many bust in the league and why even more never get a chance to play in it. Cut our losses and move on.

RG3 Haters.

1, Who is your alternative? Cutler? Cousins? 

2. Have you looked at Roberts performance when utilizing play action?  If so, what are the stats?  How do you grade his mechanics then?  :rolleyes:   

3. Are all 2012 passing stats void?  GTFO  He ran a lot, we know, but can we at least admit that he was a good passer in 2012?

4. Have you taken the time to evaluate our pass protection compared to GOOD passing teams?  How quickly are other QB's hurried compared to ours?  Are we the worst pass protecting team in the NFL?

Go watch Chris Chester attempt to play football.

5. Has it occurred to you that Gruden can't get the run game going either? (especially not without RG3)  Want to bench Alfred Morris?  Is he no good now either? Nice game plan Gruden, just blame everyone but yourself.  

6. Are the Redskins out coached in every phase of football? yes or no?  Are we the worst coached team in the NFL?

7.  What QB succeeds today with a bad run game, bad pass protection and a bad defense?

8. Why are you so ignorant?  Have you ever played the position?  Why do your analysis lack any real depth or context?  Why can't you admit he is the best QB we have had in a decade?  Why give up on a QB at 24 years old?  What is wrong with being patient FOR ONCE?  

I'd be hard pressed not to see Griffin putting in the time and then some, there is way to much financial risk.  What might matter is how fair of a shot he gets.  Is not being the most polished pocket passer keep him from getting any real chance to start.

For me its all about putting him in situations where he can be effective.  As long as he can be effective in the pocket and out and we win games, he can buy himself a number of more years trying to be an above average pocket passer.

Why does this mentality just pertain to RG3? There are lot more people that need work. And by that I mean the whole damn team.

Kirk - learn to stop making silly mistakes

Colt -  hit the weight room so you aren't throwing nerf footballs

Almo - learn to catch

Entire Oline - Learn pass protect responsibilities

Merriweather and Clark - learn to tackle

Reed/Paul - learn how to help out in blocking

Jackson - learn how to block as a WR

Even Tress Way - learn to pin teams deep instead of touchbacks

Jim Haslett - learn how clean out his office

It's not RG3 doesn't care and likes playing poorly. I'm sick of hearing about the Qbs needing work. Yes we all know they need work. Why aren't people calling out the OTHER players in TEAM sport. Every player on the Redskins has something to improve on this offseason.

very true. there's not one person that right now can honestly look themselves in the mirror after this season and say "i dont have anything i can work on to improve". well, except for kerrigan. 12 1/2 sacks (i think its 12 1/2) is pretty good. the dude just keeps sacking QBs man

Am I the only one who didn't expect him to come back guns blazing after dislocating his ankle?

i actually was expecting him to come back from his ankle injury against the vikings and beat them and the bucs and at least win a few other games too, since he was looking pretty good in the one drive he played in against jacksonville in week 2. and for the most part, he did play pretty good against the vikes. but i certainly wasn't expecting him to play so horribly against the bucs. seems like he regressed each week after the vikings game. although i think with a better offensive line he could have played a lot better.

All the excuses are fine and dandy but the production has looked like this:

2012 - good

2013 - average

2014 - bad

He's on track to being a camp fodder long shot QB.  If he doesn't show up wowing everyone with how much he's improved he's going to hit the free agent market as a bust.  His first contract year should provide ample motivation for him to work in the offseason. 

Can his next shirt read "just a sweaty shirt?"

I also want him to attend seminars at STFU, & have an entourage consisting of Al Sharpton, The Rock, & Kobe Bryant....they can all just jaunt around the field practicing their best "SUCK IT" poses, & one liners while tossing kittens into dumpster fires.

Griffin played well against the Giants.  His qb rating was 106 in a game in which he was constantly under pressure.  I agree he's got a lot of work to do and he may not be the franchise qb that most people thought in 2012.  But the guy will be a starting nfl qb for someone.

I've been saying the very same thing for awhile now; Griffin needs to get away from the media, the distractions, and work on his fundamentals.

Its not taking a jab or low blow at him, its trying to help the kid succeed.

Some have said that the team's problems go further than Griffin, and that is very true; and that is one good aspect of this; while he's getting his issues worked out, hopefully Gruden and co. will be working on the other issues at the same time, and maybe 2015 will be promising, at least.

Hec, send Cousins to the same camp as well; both need personalized one-on-one coaching that they cannot get right now on the team. Its Griffin's last chance to turn this around before he becomes permanently damaged goods.

Archived