Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins at Giants (Final)

JimmiJo

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins at Giants

12/14/14

Hello my friends and welcome to the Extreskins coverage of the Washington Redskins and New York Giants. JimmiJo here, and along with my partner Spaceman Spiff, will bring you today's action.

So what can we say about today's game? Two bad teams dragging themselves through the final games of the season. But it's more than that for the Redskins. Washington is desperate for a win.

The coach is going to need to do something to show ownership he's the guy to stick around. Same goes for a lot of players on this roster. When you are 3-10 there are very few safe jobs.

The quarterback needs to make the argument he should be behind center. His name is Colt McCoy and he will have the off-season (presuming the coach stays) to battle Kirk Cousins or a player yet to be named for the job.

Anyone who listened to Skinscast last week knows my feelings on Robert Griffin, the coach, and the overall issues with the team. I will summarize by saying:

1. Bring in a talent expert to manage player identification & acquisition
  2. Rebuild the roster
  3. Keep the coach
  4. Let the football people make the football decisions 

Stand by...

The Redskins declared the following players as inactive:

o   No. 8 QB Kirk Cousins

o   No. 29 RB Roy Helu, Jr.

o   No. 31 S Brandon Meriweather

o   No. 52 LB Keenan Robinson

o   No. 67 G Josh LeRibeus

o   No. 85 WR Leonard Hankerson

o   No. 97 DE Jason Hatcher

Follow me in-game on Twitter @Skinscast

Half

A surprise ending to the half with an apparent and obvious TD taken off the board based on possession lost by Robert Griffin. The decision incited Santana Moss who was ejected for cursing at the ref.

Griffin of course came in for Colt McCoy, who was playing well prior to being reinjured. Griffin for his part is playing better than he has in some time.

Big blow to lose the score. But maybe it will inspire a good performance in the second half. Washington is the better team so far.

Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/extremeskins/

Write-up

The Washington Redskins are not good enough to overcome any real adversity. When the refs made the unexpected decision to take away Robert Griffin's touchdown run, the Redskins began to wilt. 

And when the flags started piling up you sensed it could end badly. It did. 

Speaking of flags, I tweeted in game this was the worst officiating I have seen in some time. From the TD reversal (appreciate some believe this was the right call), to the obvious facemask on Griffin, to questionable PI calls on Breeland, to non-calls when holding looked to be happening; I was extremely disappointed in the refs.

Robert Griffin played ok in relief of Colt McCoy, who re-injured his neck after two series. He finished 18/27 for 236-yards and one touchdown for a rating of 106.4. Head coach Jay Gruden helped Griffin in the first half by moving him on a lot of bootlegs. Gruden said after the game the Giants took that away in the second half, which led to poor efficiency on third down.

McCoy and Griffin spread the ball around nicely, hitting 10 separate receivers. Despite this, the Redskins put up only 228-yards through the air. 

Andre Roberts led receivers with 81 yards on two catches. The big one was the seam route for 61-yards. If he had more speed it was a touchdown, but still a big play. DeSean Jackson on the other hand, was a non-factor with three catches for 15-yards.

Washington posted 144-yards on the ground, but primarily on the back of long runs from the quarterbacks. Running back Alfred Morris injured himself early on, which presented opportunities for Silas Redd and newly signed Chris Thompson, though more for receiving out of the backfield. Morris ran 14-times for 49-yards. Next came Griffin with 46-yards on five carries. 

Thompson had three catches for 22 yards and a touchdown. Redd had three receptions for 62-yards. 

The defense played well in some areas. They held the Giants to just 49 net-yards rushing. But New York was able to exploit the weakness of the Redskins' secondary. Eli Manning went 23/34 for 250-yards and three touchdowns and a rating of 118.5.

Odell Beckham had a very nice day, putting up 143-yards on 12-catches and three touchdowns. He was the difference in the game and credit him with the victory for the Giants.

Finally, special teams gave up more big plays, none bigger than the onside kick that gave New York the ball, a subsequent score, and all the momentum in the world.

This is a depressing time to be a fan. It is likely Washington will not win another game this year. And as they crash and burn, the rumors will swirl with news of changes coming again. Like I said above, the Redskins should stay the course with the coach while getting a talent wiz to run the front office and bring in better players.

For my money this is the way to go. However, they don't listen much to me so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Archived