Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: Redskins at Giants (Final)

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/12/17/league-rules-two-of-bashaud-breelands-penalties-should-not-have-been-called/

FL rules that two of Bashaud Breeland’s penalties should not have been called

Rookie cornerback Bashaud Breeland this season has served as one of the bright spots on a beleaguered Washington Redskins defense. But on Sunday, the Clemson product found himself in the spotlight for the wrong reasons as he drew five flags – four of which were enforced – for a total of 70 yards.

Officials flagged Breeland for unnecessary roughness, two pass interference calls, taunting and defensive holding (the Giants declined that penalty).

Breeland didn’t make apologies for his transgressions following the game, insisting that he had given good effort while playing with aggression. And he disagreed with the taunting call because, in his opinion, Odell Beckham Jr. had done worse on the play.

It turns out, Breeland had a point on two of those plays. The Redskins submitted the plays in question to the NFL and defensive coordinator Jim Haslett said on Wednesday that the league office responded after reviewing the plays, saying that Breeland should not have received punishments for taunting, or for the second pass interference call.

Except in the Minnesota game where he completed several passes more than five yards downfield.....

Yes, mostly still to receivers wide open. He still does not throw based on anticipation or reads. Even on good completions downfield he waits until a receiver is visibly wide open and must have great protection to wait for that. That's why it's so inconsistent because that combination is a rarity in the nfl no matter how good your receivers/line are.

Hi. I have 2 questions about the onsides kick the Giants executed. First, is the ref supposed to blow a whistle before kick off?  The kicker looked like he did not wait for a whistle did he? He made like he was walking back to his normal start , then he kicked the ball without raising his hand to notify the receiving team.  Second, the receiver got smashed while he was waiting for the ball. Is there no hitting a defenseless receiver on that play? Thanks

Hi. I have 2 questions about the onsides kick the Giants executed. First, is the ref supposed to blow a whistle before kick off?  The kicker looked like he did not wait for a whistle did he? He made like he was walking back to his normal start , then he kicked the ball without raising his hand to notify the receiving team.  Second, the receiver got smashed while he was waiting for the ball. Is there no hitting a defenseless receiver on that play? Thanks

I just watched the replay - here's my $.02 on the play: It seems you're right about the kicker not waiting for the whistle. I thought, like you, the kicker had to get the notification from the ref to kick off - after raising his hand. Now, did it happen somewhere before he teed the ball? I don't know because that wasn't part of the replay. On your second point, I don't think that applies since the ball had already touched the ground. It wasn't a ball in the air. Brown kicked it directly into the ground to make it pop-up like it did.  

Archived