Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: Colt McCoy to start Sunday vs Colts

3CardMonte

Mike Jones ‏@MikeJonesWaPo  20m

Gruden was aware of rapidly fading confidence in Griff w in locker room. Sticking w 10 longer would've risked losing locker room completely

All those reports look to be true....

Great tweet. I can understand that rationale. Steve Young was just hinting that something else has to be going on if we're going to bench him in a lost season.

I also think it goes back to being able to evaluate the McVey-Gruden play-calling partnership. I'm sure it's extremely frustrating to dial something up and never have it come into fruition because the QB just can't process the information properly.

Colt is not an NFL starter , I see no reason to not start Griffin the rest of the season - he has played in 3 games so far this season. If Gruden thinks Colt is better then Griffin after 3 games then Gruden is not an NFL Head Coach. Sorry but a guy that won the NFC east for us 2 seasons ago with an offense suited to his play style is just being tossed aside due to a head coach that cannot change "his" offense to suit his players on the roster, poor player management here. 

I do not think Griffin will ever be a good pocket passer, but hell use his talent and run a Seattle type offense and see what he can do...

Gruden will be gone by the end of next season, so will RGIII and this team will be in the basement for many more years, what a waist of two seasons, and perhaps one more next year.

He HAS to be a pocket passer now. You see him struggle to run 5 yards or am I the only one? Colt would be nothing more than a stopgap at best, that we agree on for sure. 

We'll never know if any of them would have been franchise QBs because WE NEVER FIXED THE SAME DAMN PROBLEM THAT PLAGUED ALL OF THEM.

This is really giving a free pass to:

A: A really bad Oline

B: a bunch of Prima Donnas at WR who didn't like that they weren't getting their stats

C: A rookie coach and a rookie OC cooking up scheme after scheme that didn't play to their strength.

This is essentially putting all the blame on a single player and now the fan base seems to be expecting pro owls all around.

Ryan Fitzpatrick also started out strong in Houston. Maybe we can bring him next year as our flavor of the month.

Exactly. Blame the QB for team failure.

This is worst thimg that could have happened, especially with it getting put before Gruden told the team too. How many people could have known this decision was coming? How hard can it possibly be to drown this rat? You've got to be kidding me.

From ESPN article

See this is the part I don't understand (if true). When the season is over and there are no expectations left besides "Get the reps because you need them" why is THIS the time to bench Robert?  If Gruden saw something different with Colt after the 2 game win streak, why not make the change there with the justification that Robert wasn't ready for a situation where the team had to win now while it had a chance to get in the mix?

It could simply be to keep his value as high as it could possibly be and/or not pile on during what has to be a trying time for a young athlete who isn't used to failing.

Garçon isn't hiding his feelings about Griffin well at all. Desean is saying the right things but have you seen how frustrated he gets during the game with Griffin? And he implied very heavily that when he had to speak up for Griffin in the locker room, it was because guys wanted Colt to continue starting since they were winning with him. And Moss specifically took up for Colt, and before that Cousins, this year.

It's clear no one has confidence in Griffin and you can feel a different energy on the field when literally anyone but Griffin is playing QB.

Gruden is a first year head coach who literally can't even evaluate the rest of his offensive players on tape because the guy pulling the trigger can't execute even basic concepts. If he's decided Griffin isn't worth the time, it absolutely makes sense. He's losing the locker room by trying to demand a certain level of performance from everyone but Griffin. You might not agree (and there's a strong argument against this move, and it could be the wrong move), but it absolutely makes sense.

Wow the D showing frustration about the offense's lack of execution?

Does the word accountability even exist in that locker room?

Should've showed this much emotion earlier when the games counted, all we're playing for now is draft positioning.  I refuse to believe Colt is a longterm option..

Only the Redskins can take a player with talent and ruin him in two years.

Congratulations assholes, just when I thought this piece of **** organization couldn't sink any lower.

Sometimes I wonder if there is a parallel universe where we drafted Luck and he ended up looking horrible. And in that same universe, RG3 is some Peyton Manning-Michael Vick super QB with another team. Or maybe some universe where we saved picks and got Wilson, and he's either still on the bench or ended up looking horrible, and all the picks that we used look average to horrible. Anytime I think "we should've got this guy" my next thought is "we probably would've messed him up anyway."

Colt is not an NFL starter

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/11/when_it_comes_to_cleveland_bro.html

Gannon said he's talked to plenty of experts about McCoy, including Mike Holmgren -- "who's cautiously optimistic" -- and ESPN's Jon Gruden, who recommended Holmgren draft McCoy.

"When I talked to Jon about all of the quarterbacks he worked with before the draft, Colt was the one who really caught his eye," said Gannon. "He really felt like this was a kid that had a chance to be a really good player."

Gannon said McCoy might be best suited to a West Coast offense, "but he has all the tools and skills to succeed in any offense, including this one. He has a very good arm, can make all the throws and I've been very impressed with his ability to throw the ball on the move, to slide and reset his feet."

Colt is not an NFL starter , I see no reason to not start Griffin the rest of the season - he has played in 3 games so far this season. If Gruden thinks Colt is better then Griffin after 3 games then Gruden is not an NFL Head Coach. Sorry but a guy that won the NFC east for us 2 seasons ago with an offense suited to his play style is just being tossed aside due to a head coach that cannot change "his" offense to suit his players on the roster, poor player management here. 

I do not think Griffin will ever be a good pocket passer, but hell use his talent and run a Seattle type offense and see what he can do...

Gruden will be gone by the end of next season, so will RGIII and this team will be in the basement for many more years, what a waist of two seasons, and perhaps one more next year.

RG3 won the division, all by himself.....roll eyes....

Only the Redskins can take a player with talent and ruin him in two years.

Congratulations assholes, just when I thought this piece of **** organization couldn't sink any lower.

The Redskins didn't ruin RG3. RG3 ruined RG3. I cant even fault the team for drafting him, I wanted to draft him too.

And I just have to say, some of these pro RG3 comments are just insane. Seriously, If you cant see just how mind numbingly awful RG3 is playing on your own, you might at least consider that not one single expert has come to RG3s defense. Even his own team mates want Colt or pretty much anyone but Robert. 

Archived