Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Schefter: Colt McCoy to start Sunday vs Colts

3CardMonte

I'm not going to go into this here, and I'm not for one minute saying I would of been proved right if this had transpired; but I have NO doubt if we'd flown Redskins 1 down to Waco instead of Cincy, we'd now be seeing a COMPLETELY different RGIII and an exciting as all heck offense.

For his former college Coach would of had 100 % unwavering faith in Robert and had the patience and flexibility to work with him and to his strengths.

Unlike Jon's lil' brother who patently never truly believed in his QB form the get go. No doubt he ached for him to win. But he neve FULLY believed in him. And rightly or wrongly, a character like Robert needs that. WE needed that given all we'd invested.

I'm not trying to justify 10's poor play (and boy has it sucked); not am I saying Art would of had us topping the Division or some flight of fantasy ****.

But I'm DAMN sure Briles and Montgommery would of had your QB a WHOLE lot better and happier right now than one that looks the polar opposite and coming to the end of his time in DC sadly.

Food for thought.

Hail.

+1

I'm not sure why people are so quick to write off Colt.  I'm not saying the guy is a savior, franchise QB, but as Destino said, he's the only QB to not have a game that's been completely unacceptable this year.  

I think I know the reasons why a lot of people don't want to give him a chance:  He's not a sexy high draft pick and he hasn't done particularly well in his other starting gigs. 

Maybe the guy just needed some time.  Maybe he needed to sit on the bench and figure things out for awhile.  I'm not checking the Cleveland Browns rosters from his first couple years but I think we've probably got better receivers than he did back then.  Stranger things have happened in the NFL, guys.  Brady wasn't a highly touted pick, neither was Russell Wilson.  IIRC, Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted.  

Now I'm not ready to put Colt in the class of those guys, there's a lot of work to be done.  But IMO, the thinking that "Colt can't POSSIBLY BE THE GUY" is lazy thinking.  That statement accepts the past as what the future will be going forward and that things can't change and players can't progress. . Maybe the dude just needed some time to come into his own.  He might not have a laser rocket arm, but no one can say the offense has looked better with Kirk or Subway Bob at the helm.  Is there a chance that we win the SF game with Colt running things?  I think so.  

Can someone articulate WHY Colt shouldn't be considered?  Keep in mind, this is a message board that had a massive man crush on Colt Brennan a few years ago.  

To me Colt just doesn't look like he has the talent to be a playoff caliber QB.  Average arm strength and average accuracy.  He is not a difference maker and looks like a backup.  Could he win with a great supporting cast, sure, but at a minimum, I would rather have an above average player at QB.

He was decent against the Colts and his great stats were misleading

- TD to Helu - just a dump off to Helu and Helu got another 20 yards after the catch

- TD to Jackson - was under thrown by quite a bit.  I bet he was trying to hit him in stride.  Pass could just have easily been intercepted

- 2 passes in Indy's hands - should have been interceptions

- in-accurate on passes over 12 yards

- 4 fumbles

- pass blocking was terrible as usual, but there was an actual pocket on many passes.  An improvement compared to 49ers

I hate to think we will go into next year with Colt as the starter.  Mediocrity.  I think Cousins and RGIII both have more upside and I would rather try to develop one of them.  They both look more talented

I hate to think we will go into next year with Colt as the starter.  Mediocrity.  I think Cousins and RGIII both have more upside and I would rather try to develop one of them.  They both look more talented

I'm with you but NFL coaches want to win games now despite its effect on the future and are under pressure to win win win every week. The Redskins FO built this team to win now so they are really the ones to blame IMO.

If they'd hired Gruden, cut everybody over 30, picked off anybody with any talent that fit our schemes from the practice squads, signed a few younger players with potential then told Gruden to do what you can and we will decide on what we do next year based on where we are at then he'd have likely had much more reason to play Cousins or RG3. IMO Cousins should have been the one starting this year. RG3 should have been given a Steve Young/Aaron Rodgers style learn from the bench year but who cares if we only win 2-3 games this year with young guys? At the end that is all we won anyway and guys like Hatcher and Clark turn out to be wastes. Then at the end of this year Gruden would likely know for sure if Cousins was likely to be another Rex Grossman or Peyton Manning wannabe. RG3 might be ready to go next year if he was paying attention. Instead we get 3-13 with a guy with a 5% chance of ever getting us anywhere with our 2 young QB's thinking their careers might be over.

Archived