Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: Jay Gruden Has Mishandled Washington Redskins' Quarterback Situation

brandymac27

Although I understand what you are trying to say with your post, and it makes sense, there is a guy in Denver named Manning getting it done with a short passing attack. If you have receivers that can get good YAC, which I think we do, it is a proven formula that can work. It also helps the Oline problems because you get the ball out quick and they don't have to block as long. Just trying to point out you can definitely win with that short attck game.

Oh one last thing you do still have to take shots downfield even using the short pass mentality.

There is always an example that goes against the curve, an exception to the rule.

The Ravens won a superbowl where the defense outscored the offense the first 6 weeks of the season. They won I believe 3 games in a row without scoring an offensive TD. This doesn't mean it was a proven formula for success.

Payton manning is one of those exceptions.

The Redskins make way too many mistakes to sustain such an offensive attack. They will shoot themselves in the foot more times than not.

BR_profile_pic_007_crop_150x150.JPG?1309

This is BR highly intelligent "Featured Columnist IV" Redskins blogger - who looks like he just finished playing madden to write his blog.

looks like he might live in Colorado. doubt he could pass a piss test. I swear some writers steal stories from this sight. I have written things on here and seen them on Bleacher Report.

This incredibly poor drivel was written by the same guy who just praised Haslett with his last article.  In it, he praised his creativity, the one thing most notable absent from Hasletts defenses.

He lost me at "Remember how poor Griffin looked in Week 1's 17-6 defeat to the Houston Texans?" because no, I didnt.  In that game Griffin completed almost 80% of his passes and didnt throw a pick.  Who writes this stuff?

I'm not blowing a bubble. There is no bubble when your team is trotting out its third string QB because the starter is out and the 2nd stringer fails. And this is why a writer is an idiot for trying to make an assessment in week 7.

I've heard a few folks complain about Gruden and point to cincy and say the same thing,, fans didn't like him. OK, i hear it, and please don't take this personally, but if you look at this site and then you factor that fact in, then it becomes pretty clear that fans really are clueless most of the time, and one of the things they do consistently is cry for heads to roll.

Cincy's defense is woeful, for sure, and it has been ranked in the bottom part of the league for several years.. yet in the last 3 seasons they still went to the playoffs.

So if it isn't defense, and it isn't offense, then their kicker must be one badass MFer to send them to the playoffs three straight years.

we should definitely sign him.

Gruden might ultimately not be the guy, but there's no way of knowing it now regardless of past stats.

~Bang

Wait, what? Cinci has had top 5 defenses more or less the years gruden was there, but for whatever reason they completely fell off this year. It was their defense that had them winning games.

Wait, what? Cinci has had top 5 defenses more or less the years gruden was there, but for whatever reason they completely fell off this year. It was their defense that had them winning games.

Check that!

You're right. Dog-gone stat sorter .. if you don't click the top it sorts them upside down.

~Dang!

Griffin made every single throw on the money against the texans.  

Unbelievable how things are skewed as fact when one person says he looked bad.  We lost the game with 2 fumbles in the red zone. By no means did RG3 look bad.

Better yet, you let me know when RG3 makes a bad pass this season.  It hasn't happened yet.  He may be the most accurate passer in the league. 

There is always an example that goes against the curve, an exception to the rule.

The Ravens won a superbowl where the defense outscored the offense the first 6 weeks of the season. They won I believe 3 games in a row without scoring an offensive TD. This doesn't mean it was a proven formula for success.

Payton manning is one of those exceptions.

The Redskins make way too many mistakes to sustain such an offensive attack. They will shoot themselves in the foot more times than not.

If you don't mind me asking, who do you think is responsible for the short game to work? Is it on the QB or the WR's? I am of the mind if you have good receivers, TE's, and catching RB's this a very attainable offense. I truly believe we have better than average at all those positions so for us, no matter who our QB is, I think it's a viable option. If you have someone catching the ball who can get good YAC this opens up many plays for your intermediate and deep plays. Now I know no matter what kind of offense a team uses you have to have good blocking, which we are suspect, but I think this team has the talent to run this style offense. But hey I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time lol.

Griffin made every single throw on the money against the texans.  

Unbelievable how things are skewed as fact when one person says he looked bad.  We lost the game with 2 fumbles in the red zone. By no means did RG3 look bad.

Better yet, you let me know when RG3 makes a bad pass this season.  It hasn't happened yet.  He may be the most accurate passer in the league. 

by all means Griffin and or the game plan* looked ineffective ...

it's not a punt pass and kick competition ... objective is to score more points than the opposition not complete passes short or otherwise ... 9.2 yd/completion ... 6 yd/pass play (including attempts and sacks) ... 6 pts

last bad pass ... Dec 8th 2013 if not more recently ... in fact ... 3 in the final possession vs the Texans

Total QBR ... 36.1 (Cousins for comparison ... 46.8.  Whitehurst ... 48.6.  Derrick Carr ... 48.7)

*same OC when Cousins played and was much more effective moving down the field and scoring ... and also much more self-destructive.

it's not a punt pass and kick competition ... objective is to score more points than the opposition not complete passes short or otherwise ... 9.2 yd/completion ... 6 yd/pass play (including attempts and sacks) ... 6 pts

last bad pass ... Dec 8th 2013 if not more recently ... in fact ... 3 in the final possession vs the Texans

Total QBR ... 36.1 (Cousins for comparison ... 46.8. Whitehurst ... 48.6. Derrick Carr ... 48.7)

*same OC when Cousins played and was much more effective moving down the field and scoring ... and also much more self-destructive.

To be fair, the Texans might be the best d we've faced. Maybe even better than Seattle has been this year. Without a doubt he looked much better on his 3 throws against jacksonville.

It's such a small sample size, players do have poor games, but if that's the poorest game he's had, that's not awful. I'm positive Brady and manning have had worse games in their careers.

We saw the gameplan change against jacksonville, RG3 went deep early, I think we went with short passes against Houston because watt just destroyed our line. We couldn't do anything to stop him so we wanted to nullify him as much as possible. Teams like green bay did this against our pass rushers, but had more luck against our secondary.

I think it was more gameplan than griffin.

If as a fan base people are dismissing Gruden after a third of one season, then we have greater problems, than RGIII, Owner, Haslett, Defense, Offensive Line and every other **** and rant that has been posted here in the last week.

People need to chill out. Gruden is going to be an great coach.

Total QBR ... 36.1 (Cousins for comparison ... 46.8.  Whitehurst ... 48.6.  Derrick Carr ... 48.7)

Put yourself in Robert Shoes.  Coach calls a pass play with 5 yard breaking routes.  What is he supposed to do? Throw deep for a touchdown? 

The offense moved the ball.  Turnovers ended the drive.  That does not mean the game plan (or QB) was ineffective.

And no, Every throw in the Texans game was on the money..  Throwing the ball away does not count as a bad pass HAHA

His decision making can still get better.  But his accuracy is back to form.  He does not miss receivers.

Gruden messed up bigtime. I laugh at the people who think that the organization was looking for RG3 to become a pocket passer and that's why they went with Gruden. Then after RG3 went down and Kurt had his little miracle performance that made Gruden believe the hype he quickly tossed RG3 under the bus and wanted to move on with Kurt.

EDIT: Deleted my comment to avoid feeding a troll.

I also think he's terribly mishandled it and is horrible at giving endorsements but I also 100% disagree with any ascertions that RG3 cant be a pocket passer. I say that on here all the time. Even most RG3 fans agree that he's just a read option QB and i think thats garbage

A. RG3 didn't play bad at Houston, why has this become gospel?

29/37 267 yds 0 INTS 0 TDS. Not his fault Morris, Paul, and the Special Teams lost the game.

B. He hasn't stopped being a read option or mobile QB. He had 22 yards rushing on two runs against Jax before his injury in THE FIRST QUARTER. He can't scramble from the bleachers I guess.

MAYBE the only criticism I can see for Gruden is the fact that he burned Kirk, and his trade value against Tennessee. Gave up on him only down 3 to a bad Titans team at home BUT it's not like Kirk didn't deserve to get benched. Gruden was not in the wrong and the move worked out. At the end of the day he's trying to win games. If Kirk can't do it, next man up.

IMHO I think Colt should have been 2nd stringer all along. New coach/regime, newer offense which all 3 QB's had to study. Colt probably more familiar with Grudens scheme than RG/KC. So why automatically call KC backup? Because thats how Shanny set it up? Its not like Colt was an aging Brunell or something. Time will tell if Colt fairs any better but,   Just saying...

RG3 had 489 yards rushing last year in his non-read option year. Sure, that's a drop from the 815 he had in his rookie year, but its still shows that he's not suddenly a guy who forgot how to run. He had 5 runs, 4 runs, 6 runs, 3 runs, 9 runs, 11 runs, 5 runs, 6 runs, 7 runs, 10 runs, 4 runs, 12 runs, 4 runs in his 13 games last year. Its not like he didn't run, he just had the brace slowing him down.

Whether he comes back in on Monday night, the Sunday after, or the Sunday two weeks after that, we're going to see a similar RG3 to the one we saw these past two years. He'll probably have 2 or 3 games where he has 10+ carries and 1 or 2 with < 5 carries. Sometimes he'll be able to get 7+ yards on the run. Sometimes he'll get nothing, or wind up losing yards

Sidenote: nobody talked about Colt's athleticism and how he ran well on Sunday. On one drive they called it run, sack, sack, but that diminishes what Colt did on that middle play. He had actually scrambled from the pocket, got to the sideline and tip-toed for about7 yards, but the refs said he was out of bounds behind the line). I think Colt can be respectable on Sunday.

I have no criticism for Gruden's handling of RG3/Colt/Kirk because its his team and he's trying to find ways to win games and to get players to stop making the same mistakes. Its one thing if the coach can see progression in the player and decides to keep him in because he's not making the same mistake. But its another thing if, like Kirk, the dude can't throw a basic pass and just isn't seeing 250 pound linebackers that are right in front of him, for like the 3rd game in the last 6. And if Jay feels that Kirk still isn't seeing it in practice or doesn't feel that Kirk has recovered mentally then he needs to keep him out of it and coach him on the sideline. Colt's not a dreamweaver, but why have him on the roster if you're afraid to play him (same goes for Redd)?

How he handles Griffin will be determined today, but I have a feeling that people are underestimating Gruden's blunt nature. People want Gruden to say "I'm sitting you down to protect you" but I have a feeling that Gruden will go to Robert and say "I'm sitting you down because you're not ready. Look at this cut you try to make right here. You can see that you're not putting full pressure on that ankle, which lets me know that you're either still in pain or you're still not confident in yourself. Either way, me playing you is putting you more at risk than you need to be right now."

When has Gruden given a Shanny-like answer. I don't expect him to open up to the media like that, but I have a feeling that just like Jackson's blocking (which improved against Tennessee), Gruden probaby told Jackson he was blocking poorly, then told the media the same thing. I have no problem with Gruden trying out RG3 to see where he is in the recovery process.

If you don't mind me asking, who do you think is responsible for the short game to work? Is it on the QB or the WR's? I am of the mind if you have good receivers, TE's, and catching RB's this a very attainable offense. I truly believe we have better than average at all those positions so for us, no matter who our QB is, I think it's a viable option. If you have someone catching the ball who can get good YAC this opens up many plays for your intermediate and deep plays. Now I know no matter what kind of offense a team uses you have to have good blocking, which we are suspect, but I think this team has the talent to run this style offense. But hey I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time lol.

The main part is having a QB that excels in pre-snap reads and gets into the right play by audible at the LOS. Most Qbs that are great at this know where the ball is most likely going before the snap and can anticipate the throw. If not, they can manuver in the pocket to avoid pressure to get to the next read. A QB that is good at the short game can also mask OL deficiencies by getting the ball out of his hand quickly. Joe Montana and Peyton Manning I would say are the best in history.

The main part is having a QB that excels in pre-snap reads and gets into the right play by audible at the LOS. Most Qbs that are great at this know where the ball is most likely going before the snap and can anticipate the throw. If not, they can manuver in the pocket to avoid pressure to get to the next read. A QB that is good at the short game can also mask OL deficiencies by getting the ball out of his hand quickly. Joe Montana and Peyton Manning I would say are the best in history.

Manning(s), Brady, Brees, all know who they will throw to before the snap and for the most part, they pick the right guy.  Any and all check-downs are made at the line.  It is clear to me that Cousins also knows his target pre-snap, although he does not always pick the right guy.  Griffin has no clue who he will throw to but he knows the checkdown guy and that is why Garcon had 113 catches last year (89 of which were under 10 yard throws). 

Archived