Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A fundamental problem: We don't understand what kind of bad owner Snyder is

Lombardi's_kid_brother

I personally think Dan would try anything to win.  I really do.  I just don't think he knows what to do.  I think he suffers from needing to be around guys he trusts, but can't find a good guy that he trusts that also knows football.  My .02

I think that's the entirety of his business worldview. He trusted/liked Vinny. He worshipped Gibbs. He knew Bruce Allen. He does not like going outside his comfort zone on hires.

Mark Shapiro probably has several vacation homes because of Snyder. After the Six Flags venture collapsed, Snyder moved him to Dick Clark Productions, because why the hell not?

But his world seems rather tiny for a billionaire marketing, sports and entertainment guru. So, it's not shocking that he's never found the Billy Beane of football in it, you know.

I agree with you in theory, but I don't remember who the RT and RG in FA were, at least who were available.  I did the "wish I got that guy thread" and really, there weren't a lot of options regardless of the amount of money to spend.

But I could be forgetting a guy or two.

It was a good free agency for LTs, but RTs not as good. However, even a mediocre option is better than Polumbus. I'd have signed Oher.

I'm trying to find a list, but I do remember good guards being available, one of which could have ousted Chester. Geoff Schwartz went to the Giants for 4-5 mil per year for example.

The sad thing is, and I've tried for years to find the positives, is Snyder is just not a likeable guy too. The fan experience at Fed Ex is not great, and I've been to many other NFL ballparks. From top to bottom the feeling I'm ALWAYS left with regards Snyder: he just cares first and foremost about the $$$. I know this is the same gripe with Jerry Jones but damn, that guy does love the game of football. At least I was fortunate enough to be a fan for as long as I have, you actually came to expect to ALWAYS be in the hunt each year. *sigh*

I still think we have a young and upward trending team, despite the disasterous first 6 weeks of this season.

Also, how tone deaf is Snyder? Sitting with those American Indian reps last night. Does he not realize how desperate and cheap that looks? TYPICAL.

Amen to that. I've not gotten into the "bash Snyder" movement, but that did it with me. All he did was exploit those people. That right there told me everything I needed to know about Snyder.

I'm sure the Rooney's do it the same way.

I went to law school with a member of the Rooney family. I think her wing was one of the ones that got bought out a few years ago. But it is treated like a family business and you are expected to understand how every aspect of it works as you move up. Dan Rooney started out as a college scout for his dad - who in reality was a pretty terrible owner until her turned the reigns over to his son. Art was a lovable gambler/businessman/philantropist though. That goes a long way.

Well to be fair we haven't been announcing all the charitable stuff and the Navajo yesterday wasn't announced either, just something noticed by the cameras.

I do find it amusing so many name change folk, especially NAs, were saying Snyder should spend time with NAs, then when he does they say he is bribing them and they are sell outs.

Some of our beat reporters were announcing it as early as last week.  They also mentioned that they were being "paid" to be there.

I'd trade the name for good football at this point, too. 

RT @MeganMFinnerty: CONFIRMED, but awkwardly, @Redskins to pay for #NativeAmericans to attend @AZCardinals #NFL game http://azc.cc/1vV1trv 

Now to be fair to Dan... it doesn't say specifically whether he paid FOR them to attend or paid them TO attend (or both).

VoR, you nailed it.  Just nailed it.

Thank you.  I try. :)

One thing I was trying to figure out is what is the next "THIS HAS GOT TO WORK" moment.  I mean, I think he's tried just about everything.  

I don't think Bruce is going anywhere this year.  And he probably shouldn't.  But if this doesn't work, what's next?  There are only a few things I can think of:

1. Jim Harbaugh.  If he decides to leave SF, Snyder could back up the Brinks truck and get him here.  

2. Art Briles.  The Baylor/Griffin connection

3. Bill Polian. Lure him out of retirement.  Big name, built several organizations to winner.

4. Parcels as an exec, like he was in Miami.  

Probably none of these will end up happening, and I sure hope that they don't have to go to plan, what is it now, G? 

But I really don't know what can be next.  

It was a good free agency for LTs, but RTs not as good. However, even a mediocre option is better than Polumbus. I'd have signed Oher.

I'm trying to find a list, but I do remember good guards being available, one of which could have ousted Chester. Geoff Schwartz went to the Giants for 4-5 mil per year for example.

I was looking in the "I wish I got that guy thread" and I didn't see any that really jumped out.

There were a couple C/G, but nothing really that exciting. 

GHH was so hard to deal with when it came to Oher in FA this offseason.

But then again... he always was the petulant one according to mom.

I went to law school with a member of the Rooney family. I think her wing was one of the ones that got bought out a few years ago. But it is treated like a family business and you are expected to understand how every aspect of it works as you move up. Dan Rooney started out as a college scout for his dad - who in reality was a pretty terrible owner until her turned the reigns over to his son. Art was a lovable gambler/businessman/philantropist though. That goes a long way.

"When Football Went to War" I think is the book.  Has a section in there that talks about the Eagles and Steelers basically switching teams in the 30s/40s and how hated a lot of the ownership was around that time for both teams... even when they combined to become the "Steagles" during war.

Interesting post, thanks.

And I said he gets criticism for who he's given control to. He's stepped back, so I'm being patient and allowing the new GM who has full control, to develop things. It's called patience.

Snyder as owner won't change, but one thing that will definitely change is the desire for any quality exec to come here if a ravenous, impatient fan base gets a GM ousted in just 1 season and the owner is brittle enough to cave in to such fickleness and impatience. Who wants to work in a place where fans call for your head after 6 games despite not having your star QB as well as other important players?

I can dig that. I'm skeptical, but I can dig that.

I really don't think it matters who we sign though ultimately. They can have a good one or two year run, but it seems like everyone eventually gets caught up in the poison and dysfunction in this organization.

Show of hands: Does anyone actually think that DeSean Jackson's tenure here is going to end well? I mean, he's been awesome so far, but does he strike you as the kind of dude who is going to enjoy 3-win seasons and quarterback drama?

Some of our beat reporters were announcing it as early as last week.  They also mentioned that they were being "paid" to be there.

I'd trade the name for good football at this point, too. 

RT @MeganMFinnerty: CONFIRMED, but awkwardly, @Redskins to pay for #NativeAmericans to attend @AZCardinals #NFL game http://azc.cc/1vV1trv 

Now to be fair to Dan... it doesn't say specifically whether he paid FOR them to attend or paid them TO attend (or both).

I don't see where they announced any of it. But you do see the media spin on it, it's not the team being charitable, it's spun as bribery.

and the name has nothing to do with the record but that kind of attitude, if spread among the fanbase out of frustration of losing, is exactly what can cause support to waver and us lose the name. Then the past awesome teams will have a stained legacy, all because fans were upset over a losing season. The name is more important than that. On top of that, we'd be allowing a change to happen that we know most NAs don't support. That's a weak constitution and we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than that.

Yeah but Hatcher is DL so can play for 4 more seasons after this. DJax has speed so can play for 6-7 more seasons. In the NFL that is longevity. Neither is a huge cap hit either. Hatcher is on a 4 year deal, likely retires after that, with an average of 6.8 mil. DJax is a 4 year deal with 6 mil per year. 

Rak is the problem. 11.5 million, which could be a top RT from free agency and maybe a guard who could make Chester irrelevant. A right side of the OL would be far more valuable than Orakpo's lack of making plays.

I think Jackson is on a three year deal, and there is a salary spike in 2017 to $8M.

There is no way to predict how long someone might be a viable player, but I don't have much reason, other than hope, to think that Hatcher can play at a high level past 33, if that.

I think Jackson is on a three year deal, and there is a salary spike in 2017 to $8M.

There is no way to predict how long someone might be a viable player, but I don't have much reason, other than hope, to think that Hatcher can play at a high level past 33, if that.

4 year, per the salary cap tracker site. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/

Hatcher has been better as of late, so that's more reason for me to believe he'll stay viable. Had been amazing in his prime and been losing production the past few seasons then I'd agree with you and not like the signing. But his production has been better and DL typically have better longevity.

Great argument. Nothing that's happened since 1999 is Dan's fault because we were bad from 1993-1998.

That's absolutely not my argument. But thanks for putting words in my mouth. This team hasn't done **** under his reign, that's a given. But people who hate Snyder need to realize that it's not like he took a Super Bowl contender and burned it to the ground. This franchise has been a mess since Gibbs' first reign ended. I'm not sure how many of you were happy with JKC's direction right before his death, but we were going nowhere fast.

I'm not sure how many of you were happy with JKC's direction right before his death, but we were going nowhere fast.

I've repeatedly made this argument, but no one seems to accept it. No team in the league was set up better than the Skins in 1999. A division winning team filled with young talent, a solid if not spectacular QB, and the #2 and #3 overall picks in the upcoming draft. Snyder should have been able to coast to a five year run of division titles when he started, and he would have been treated like a genius for the rest of his life.

4 year, per the salary cap tracker site. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/

Hatcher has been better as of late, so that's more reason for me to believe he'll stay viable. Had been amazing in his prime and been losing production the past few seasons then I'd agree with you and not like the signing. But his production has been better and DL typically have better longevity.

If you search on "desean jackson contract redskins" you'll see some places refer to it as a 3-year deal and some as a 4-year deal.  The $24M will be paid out by the end of the third year.  There is an $8M fourth year, but its voidable by Jackson.  It's not guaranteed, so its voidable by the Skins as well.  Basically, it just spreads out his bonus another year.

Until we have a breakdown on the investment acumen of most of the NFL owners, I'm going to have to believe that the OP has very little to stand on. Snyder buys and flips businesses?  Well then, I think we would have a problem with a fair number of NFL (and other sports franchise) owners.

Bottom line .. Owners own. Players play. Apart from our offensive line which only boasts ONE whole player of merit, and our depleted secondary, we have a team that has as much talent as many NFL teams. Until Snyder suits up as #10 and lays an egg on the field as a player, I'm going to guess that he isn't the problem!

I don't see where they announced any of it. But you do see the media spin on it, it's not the team being charitable, it's spun as bribery.

I'm not talking about the charity... I'm talking about them confirming the Navajo were coming to the game.

Losses are frustrating, but one thing I'm starting to get disturbed by is the number of frustrated fans who are letting the anti-Snyder agenda and the frustration of losing start swaying them on the name. The past Redskins were amazing, and giving up on the name would sully the past greatness. We shouldn't give up on the little good we have.

Its like we've been watching two completely different franchises for the last fifteen years.

The Redskins are dysfunctional in every facet of the game, and it has nothing to do with Snyder being overly involved in player acquistion. There has never been a vision for what this team is supposed to be. There has never been a person with that vision. And there has never been a person in the wings ready to either take over that vision when the time is right or bring it somewhere else.

This is the fact, Where there is no vision, the people will perish! Coaches have come in and got a huge paycheck, started a fix it quick plan that lasted well, quick, and were shown the door in a short period. Now is the time to get a vision, this team does have a few good players, build around them. That means all the rest, send out the door, including some coaches and maybe even a GM since he can't seem to see the same weaknesses the rest of the world does. Do not wait till the end of the season, Gruden needs to start shaking this franchise up right now, yes a certain coach should be fired during the season, 5 years later and the same mess every year. If he chooses to sit back and do nothing but watch this team lose week after week, he will be the next failed coach that's sent out of Washington. 

Archived