Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Resetting 2014 Expectations

TD_washingtonredskins

I will concede that this is going to sound like a familiar refrain over the past 10 years/3-4 coaches...but here we are. 

The Redskins are 1-3 and almost certainly staring 1-5/2-4 right in the face. The rest of the division is hitting its collective stride and playing very good football as well. Many, many people didn't expect much this season, but a few of us thought that with a few breaks we might be a sneaky 8-10 win team. However, we've dealt with some injuries, laid a couple early-season eggs, and missed a couple opportunities to secure a win in Philly. All of that adds up to some very long odds of turning the season around to contend for anything. 

But there is still plenty to watch and look for over the final 75% of the season. Personally, I want to see the following things over the final 12 games:

1) Leadership from Gruden --> This early-season challenge is a nice opportunity for Gruden to show us how he will handle the head coaching gig here. We all know how Gibbs was able to weather the 0-5 storm in 1981 to lead us through the best decade in team history. Certainly we can't expect that, but I would love to see us finish stronger in November and December than we started in September. For the first time in a while, that would mean something to me. 

2) QB Improvement --> I'm still on the fence about this position and honestly I still don't care which guy takes this position and runs with it. There are pros and cons to either scenario. If Griffin becomes the guy and takes a step forward this year, that's comfortable for all of us and it comes with a lot less controversy. If Cousins does so, you get the feeling that he will play in more games over the next several years. Either way, I want a nice feeling that we can have productive and consistent play from the position moving into Gruden's next few years. 

3) Youth --> If we do lose a couple more games in October, I would want to start seeing some of our "backup plans" at certain positions. We have been forced to play a couple of young players in the secondary which could become exciting. We drafted a talented OLB despite having two entrenched starters, so I wouldn't mind seeing Murphy take some reps from Orakpo assuming we don't plan to pay him. I would also be all for shaking things up along the OL. Why not? 

4) Pride and Enthusiasm --> This is more a byproduct of #1 and #3, but I want to see the players flying around and playing hard/fast. The Seahawks were a mediocre team before they became who they are. Sure, the talent they've added has led to them being a contender, but they forged their identity before they became good. I want us to begin to do the same immediately. I want to see this team come together under the head coach and play inspired on every play, knowing that better days are around the corner. 

I want to see wins... Because nothing else matters... If they have leadership, youth, qb then they will have wins to go with it..

Nobody else wants to see wins, they just want to see the team play hard and come up short again. I don't think wins benefits this team which is being rebuilt and needs fails to win. Tanking is the only way this team will ever win that first pick, and that is what has been holding them back. It is going to hard to do, but they must keep up the embarrassing losses without making it too obvious, like in the Giants game. 

I would rather see the thread entitled, Resetting the franchise expectations.  I would like Bruce Allen to post the following (or similar) 3 year plan and be judged based on his plan.

1. Commit to the draft - Improve the scouting department starting now, hire fresh upcoming young talent.  Improve success rate on high draft picks.
  2. Commit to the lines - Focus on drafting defense and offensive line talent.
  3. Focus on the 3 year plan, not winning each year.  Avoid high priced free agents and only sign young talent with focus on their role in the 3 year plan.
  4. Focus on improving the coaching staff, outside of the head coach.  I hear the Ravens are the only team in the league with a kicking coach, they always have good kickers.
  5. Out with the old.  Get rid of the losing coaches and players (i.e Haslett) and bring in fresh blood.
  6. Focus heavily on one aspect of the team.  Make sure offense, defense, or special teams is one of the best in the league.  You have to win in 2 of the 3 categories to win NFL games, keep an eye on making sure you always are the best in one category.

Is this fun? I don't think this is fun. Aren't sports supposed to be fun?

Can someone just give me a call when the Redskins are good again?

Not at all...but they have to improve for it to be fun. Sure, if they could just rattle off 10 more wins this year that would be awesome. But they aren't capable of that. 

I'm an O's fan...the last 3 years have been incredibly fun for me. This weekend was FUN. But the Redskins cannot do that right now. So, realistically, I think I will be satisfied to see a team that appears to be developing. 

I would rather see the thread entitled, Resetting the franchise expectations.  I would like Bruce Allen to post the following (or similar) 3 year plan and be judged based on his plan.

1. Commit to the draft - Improve the scouting department starting now, hire fresh upcoming young talent.  Improve success rate on high draft picks.
  2. Commit to the lines - Focus on drafting defense and offensive line talent.
  3. Focus on the 3 year plan, not winning each year.  Avoid high priced free agents and only sign young talent with focus on their role in the 3 year plan.
  4. Focus on improving the coaching staff, outside of the head coach.  I hear the Ravens are the only team in the league with a kicking coach, they always have good kickers.
  5. Out with the old.  Get rid of the losing coaches and players (i.e Haslett) and bring in fresh blood.
  6. Focus heavily on one aspect of the team.  Make sure offense, defense, or special teams is one of the best in the league.  You have to win in 2 of the 3 categories to win NFL games, keep an eye on making sure you always are the best in one category.

I think that has to be the 3 year plan. Along with that patience. Patience that the franchise will see everything through with this QB and head coach. Patience that resources will be spent on non sexy areas but will pay out over time

I just don't think the owner has that kind of patience 

We had a perfect opportunity for a full-out rebuild when Shanny came aboard and he blew it with the McNabb trade. That whole roster shouldve been flushed and we should've basically became an expansion team. Instead we tried to build fast again and it failed miserably. Right now we're stuck in purgatory and I have no clue who we're going to get out of it?

Statistics: No rookie head coach has ever done better than 8-8 since Snyder has owned the team. One of them is Zorn, meaning it's completely random with a cap at 8 wins.

Extrapolating that out, it gives us an average record of somewhere between 2-14 and 6-10. A median of 4-12. So, IMPROVEMENT!!!

yeah_science_breaking_bad.gif

We had a perfect opportunity for a full-out rebuild when Shanny came aboard and he blew it with the McNabb trade. That whole roster shouldve been flushed and we should've basically became an expansion team. Instead we tried to build fast again and it failed miserably. Right now we're stuck in purgatory and I have no clue who we're going to get out of it?

Agree with this 100%.

That is the problem with this organization. We have NEVER fully committed to a 100% total teardown and rebuild. It's always sign expensive FA here, trade draft pick for older player there, etc.

Even this year, with a new head coach who's pretty young, we decide to go sign older guys like Hatcher and Clark. Not bad players mind you, but what exactly does that accomplish? Even Jackson, I mean yeah he's a star talent, but we're still 1-4. We'd be 1-4 even if we didn't have any of those guys and replaced them with mid round rookies.

The good organizations build a pipeline to have young talent streaming in year after year and can compete regularly. The goal is to be at least pretty good every year and then hope that one year the stars align and you can win a ring. We do everything ass backwards and that's why we go 5-11 every year save for the fluke double digit win season.

This season is going to rival the Norval years.  This is a 2 to 3-win team at best and they're going to fight for that #1 pick.  Thank God they have a pick next year because they're going to need it.  The Gruden era, IMO, is a going to be a painful one and this is just the start.

I honestly have no idea what we should do at this point. I am usually the type of person preaching patience and remaining the course - but I just don't see how Bruce Allen can keep his job at this point. The guy is a ****ing idiot and at best a really good alumni relations coordinator, not a GM.

I actually like some things about Jay Gruden and think he could be a good HC, but even his hiring process was a complete shame. A pony show for the fans. It was clear they were going to assemble the Buccaneers all-star team once the defensive coaching staff was not fired. 

Retaining Jim Hasselt & Raheem Morris was enough for me to know that Bruce Allen will never be s real GM.

We ****ing suck. Tired of being a joke.

I still can't believe we retained Haslett.  After Shanahan was fired, my biggest relief was that Haslett was gone (stupid me haha)......then time passed on and there was no word of Haslett being fired........I waited......waited.......then he was retained.  How in the hell did this happen?  I hope Gruden has the balls to fire his arena buddy because bringing back Haslett is unacceptable.

There's nothing to do. Find enjoyment in the little things. Because this team will not challenge for anything big, optimistically, for 10 months and realistically not for at least three or four more seasons. Just not good or consistent enough in any factor of the game. Massive talent gap with the top of the league. They need better players, better consistency, that's what will turn this around and it's not happening week to week. It's gonna take multiple, multiple seasons. They didn't get blown out tonight, that's a win for this team/staff and yes I know how pathetic that sounds but open your ******* eyes if it really bothers you. Because if you genuinely expect playoffs you are the problem, not the solution. They are NOWHERE near competitive, get real.

This 3-4 years talk is absolute insane. What NFL teams rebuild for 3-4 years? No one. Only ****ty franchise like ours claim to rebuild for 4 years. Many teams are able to rebuild in under 2 years. The key is that those teams have right management structure and an actual plan.

You give our roster right now to Seattle's management and Pete Carroll and I would bet a significant amount that we would be a playoff team in 2 years. 

I still can't believe we retained Haslett.  After Shanahan was fired, my biggest relief was that Haslett was gone (stupid me haha)......then time passed on and there was no word of Haslett being fired........I waited......waited.......then he was retained.  How in the hell did this happen?  I hope Gruden has the balls to fire his arena buddy because bringing back Haslett is unacceptable.

It's a money saving move.  If you fire Haslett you basically have to pay the salary for two DCs.  Dan Snyder strikes again!

Archived