Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough of the BS. What are we doing about the TE situation?

The Trashman

Soooo, it appears we are heading into the biggest game of the season against the mighty Seahawks and we don't know what's going on with the tight end situation.

Niles Paul is still suffering from his concussion enough to not be ready for Monday. Mr. Jordan Reed is STILL not 100%. He was limited in practice today. Logan Paulsen is not the answer we need to provide end-to-end TE duties for an entire game.

So, we are left with either going with a less than ready Reed or using Paulsen as the #1 TE.  OR, maybe they can still activate Ted Bolser from the Practice Squad. Problem is I can't remember what type of player Bolser is or if we can even activate him prior to Monday.

Problems at the TE position.

It wouldn't be the first time we had just Paulsen, given how much time Fred Davis missed over the years.  If Reed can't go, I wouldn't be shocked if we just used more WRs and have OL do the extra blocking duties.

That being said, there seems to be a decent potential that Reed could play on Monday.

Gruden should do the obvious and tap into his WRs. Open 4 wide. Throw in hurry up for added effect. 

Paul should not be rushed back. He will likely be cleared, though, and suspect he plays.  Reed even if he plays, sadly, is likely to get injured again. Neither should be counted on, as the game plan is being devised.

Its time to turn to THE and maybe only strength of the entire team, the WRs. 

Edit: use Compton in short yardage.

And pass to him. 

This is why I was so big on drafting a TE last draft.  As of now, we just have to stick with what we got.  Which is Paulsen, unfortunately.

if you knew both our top two TEs would be out by week five why didn't you explain that to someone

Shoulda traded for Fauria before he sprained his ankle. Sliding doors of fate and he'd still be healthy.

you think a player who got injured would be less injured with the Skins?  With the Skins that ankle would have snapped off and been left laying on the field

if you knew both our top two TEs would be out by week five why didn't you explain that to someone

I knew Reed was an injury waiting to happen.  I also had very little faith in Paul's pass-catching abilities (I was proven wrong).  The point is that we had very little in the way of proven talent at TE entering this season.  It would have made sense to select a TE in the draft that actually had a chance of making the team (i.e. not "war-daddy" Bolser).

I knew Reed was an injury waiting to happen.  I also had very little faith in Paul's pass-catching abilities (I was proven wrong).  The point is that we had very little in the way of proven talent at TE entering this season.  It would have made sense to select a TE in the draft that actually had a chance of making the team (i.e. not "war-daddy" Bolser).

a drafted TE is exactly what Reed and Paul were, unproven talent

It's crazy how turnstyle the TE position has been (at least in my eyes).  I thought Cooley was going to be here forever, but then he sort of tailed off prematurely with the rise of Davis.  Then I thought Fred Davis would be here forever, but he got lazy and smoked weed or whatever.  Then I thought Jordan Reed would be the guy, but he keeps getting injured.  I hope he can come back strong cuz I'm sick of the rotating door approach.  I don't think Niles Paul is the long term answer, although I like his pass catching abilities.

The best thing do to is go with a 3 WR set with Paulsen at the TE. He can be used effectively, it's not like he can't catch the ball or make plays, he just needs to hold onto the ball after he catches it. I have a feeling after that nightmare last Sunday Night, our offense might surprise us and the Seahawks Monday Night. Do I think we can win? No, because Haslett will be exposed again and his Defense will give up 40+ points.

Archived