Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

Maybe this is a prelude to a trade and ultimately this kid gets traded before playing for the Caps. Otherwise is makes ZERO sense.

BTW, coverage of this draft is terrible. They talked about the Caps for, what, two minutes?

The Caps aren't a Canadian team.

Time to tune out.

Alright... I'm "not upset" enough to post about how pissed I was when this pick came in...

I was so pissed I turned off my tv and went and laid in bed and stared off into the distance until I fell asleep.  A 31 year old man... trying to make excuses as to why we made the pick...

W.T.F....

I only looked this morning...with Scherzer pitching and the women's world cup, I didn't even realize the NHL draft started yesterday.  Then I saw the goalie pick...was confused, came here, and I see that it isn't sitting well with anyone else.

I don't mind the pick.  The Caps picked what some people considered the top goalie in the draft.  If he turns out to be great, at a minimum they can trade that for a top draft pick or a top player.  Look what the Caps got for Varlamov. 

You mean so that we can draft a top player - then panic and trade him for a bum and Michael Latta?

Ladies and gents... the next Joey Crabb!!! #907

Connor Hobbs @chobbs15 Jun 21

Happy Father's Day to the Twitter legend himself @coachhobbsy

CIDEsfaUAAATvuu.jpg

Very quiet at the draft party at BWW last night after they made that pick. Everyone was in stunned silence

I trust in what GMBM is doing though and I have analyzed through the positives and negatives of the pick on Reddit and HFBoards

Honestly IDC and I trust what GMBM is doing

Very quiet at the draft party at BWW last night after they made that pick. Everyone was in stunned silence

I trust in what GMBM is doing though and I have analyzed through the positives and negatives of the pick on Reddit and HFBoards

I'm going to give him a couple of years before I judge him.  But it seems on the face, he's just rushed us right back into a situation that it took us a few years to get out of (having Varlamov, Neuvirth, and Holtby - Now we have Holtby, Grubeuer, and the Russian).

And we just drafted Copley last year... scratching my head.

I'm a fan of Latta. He's obviously no Forsberg but he is a good young kid with heart and upside.

You luck into those kinds of trades only now and then.  You have to get the pick and then luck into that team finishing poorly. Just not sure what having 4 NHL quality goalies is going to do for us.  Ovechkin is almost 30.  I think that's where the hostility is coming from.

You luck into those kinds of trades only now and then. You have to get the pick and then luck into that team finishing poorly. Just not sure what having 4 NHL quality goalies is going to do for us. Ovechkin is almost 30. I think that's where the hostility is coming from.

I would have much rather picked a Russian center than a goalie. I didn't know really any of the prospects outside of the top 5 though.

I see Incarcerated Bob (who is normally good on NHL news) has the Sabres trading for Ryan O'Reilly tonight.  Wow.

Ian McLaren ‏@iancmclaren 2m2 minutes ago

Zadorov, Grigorenko + 31 would be a #very #nice #package for the Avs.

1 retweet 0 favorites

That's the rumor right there^^^ Huge return for Avs but a good trade for both teams.

That also sets the bar on what the Caps will need to give up for a decent trade.

Incarcerated Bob is terrible.

I don't trust him at all since he operated under GMGM all those years. He said that the team wasn't going to overpay for free agents...even though that's exactly what he did last year and the first round pick makes no sense at all.

Copely was a free agent signing. We drafted Vitek Vanacek last year.

Ah, good call.  But wasn't he a 2nd or 3rd round pick, too?

It's a mind-boggling pick.  I hope BM isn't kicking the tires on letting Holtby walk.  There really isn't enough in FA to put us over the top without him.  There are a couple of upgrades we can make, but status quo has us re-upping with Holtby, Fehr and possibly Wardo.

Like I said... I have no idea what the end game is here.

I'm okay with the Samsonov pick. Holtby is about 7.5 years older than this Samsonov kid. Where are we going to be with our goaltenders in a few years?

Holtby has not yet been signed long-term. How many years will he sign for, and what will his cap hit be? If he signs a bridge contract, then what will he be asking for when he hits UFA?

What about Grubauer? He could very well leave the Capitals for a chance to start elsewhere. He's 23 now, which means he'll be 26 in 3 years time. If he's not looking to start elsewhere, it's probably because he's a career backup. Copely's also 23 and has no NHL experience. He was a nice surprise as a FA signing, but he could top out as a career AHLer or backup.

So who do we have in store for the future? We're left with Vanecek and Soberg. Soberg's 21 and has yet to come to North America, and he's pretty short for a goalie at only 5'10". Vanecek could have some pretty good potential down the line. He has workable size at 6'1" and seems to be on the right path developmentally. Too early to tell with him, though.

So now we've added in Ilya Samsonov, who stands at 6'4" giving us great size in net. He was the top ranked goalie on most boards with some draft boards having him gone as early as #14. TSN's button said that this kid is a potential star. So 5 years down the line when he's entering NHL Goaltender age, what will our goalie situation be then? What will we be paying Holtby, and will Samsonov be able to come in with a negligible performance difference at a fraction of the cost allowing us to trade Holtby away for a big return while freeing up cap space to fill other holes?

When it comes to the NHL draft, it's usually a long-term play. We've been pretty fortunate lately to have players like Burakovsky and Wilson come in and contribute so quickly. More often you see folks take their time in juniors and the minors before being ready to come up and contribute like Galiev. In that time, the make up of the team can change quite a bit.

Our short-term needs seem to be bottom pairing D-men, and some top-6/top-9 forwards. We've got some folks on the farm ready to step into those positions. Vrana and Galiev seem like they'll be competing to take a forward spot. And on D we've got Schmidt and Orlov as shoe-ins for the bottom pairing with Connor Carrick looking for a shot at playing when he's actually had a chance to mature instead of being thrown into the Oates fire. Also have Bowey looking at coming in soon.

edit:

Oh, and now this is apparently a thing:

justin-peters-wedding-prom-photo-caps-60

When it comes to the NHL draft, it's usually a long-term play. We've been pretty fortunate lately to have players like Burakovsky and Wilson come in and contribute so quickly. More often you see folks take their time in juniors and the minors before being ready to come up and contribute like Galiev. In that time, the make up of the team can change quite a bit.

Completely agree, and that's why most GMs believe it's prudent to take the best player available, regardless of current need.  At pick #22, you're talking about a guy who you're very likely not to see in D.C. for at least 2 - 3 years, which can be an eternity in pro sports.

Can we get a title change to offseason? The "caps eliminated" reminder is getting old.

Or a new thread altogether.  Now that the draft is over, and free agency begins this week, we're unofficially in the 2015 - 2016 season.

Archived