Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TK's Sportsbar: The official '14 season Twitter thread, whatnot free, Almond Milk included, Fat Tire Sponsored

SWFLSkins

Like Djax, Morris, reed, garçon, and Roberts?

I digress. The problem with this organization is not coaching. Never has been. Except spurrier

i know it's frustrating...  i've voiced that in other threads and even this one....  and you're right, it's not about the weapons.... they have them, we have them...  shanahan, at least kyle, was not the problem, imho....  and people still want to see the old rg3, even knowing he himself doesn't want to be a spread/read option qb anymore..... and jay's O isn't that kind of coach/coordinator.....   between the 2, we're throwing away what we drafted, imho...

it is. but still, it is for a position that we have pretty good players at already. why not sign an offensive lineman to the practice squad, at a position where we actually suck

It's because he has shown flashes of being a good return man.  Our field position has been atrocious.  In my opinion, they are looking to bolster the return game.  Jay wants more "splash" plays.  I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

My fandom reduced to defending Alfred Morris this afternoon, wow, just wow. It is almost as if I wished he would go somewhere else, we don't deserve him as a fan base. No troubles, just humble and puts in the work. wtf. 

to be fair to alfred, he's gone against the #1 and #2 run defenses the last 2 games.....  have faith, my friend... we may win a few games with his running.......  which i'm not hoping for at this point......  lol

It's because he has shown flashes of being a good return man.  Our field position has been atrocious.  In my opinion, they are looking to bolster the return game.  Jay wants more "splash" plays.  I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

then why put him on the practice squad if he wants to change up the return game? if he wants to change the return game he should have put him on the 53 man roster. and it is hard for me to understand, because i have actually liked andre roberts on special teams. i dont think we need any help. i guess i'll either be proven right or wrong on that opinion over the next few games.

it is. but still, it is for a position that we have pretty good players at already. why not sign an offensive lineman to the practice squad, at a position where we actually suck

Because practice squad players rarely make an impact. Ross was a very good kick returner in the preseason for us and showed flashes as a receiver. He has value and that's why we brought him back. Signing some random OL who's most likely going to be cut anyway won't imrpove the roster. People shouldn't get worked up over practice squad moves.

then why put him on the practice squad if he wants to change up the return game? if he wants to change the return game he should have put him on the 53 man roster. and it is hard for me to understand, because i have actually liked andre roberts on special teams. i dont think we need any help. i guess i'll either be proven right or wrong on that opinion over the next few games.

we have no one to block in the return game....  won't matter who we put back there if he's always running to the sideline, which if you've been watching, roberts always does on a return.....   with that said, it's early wednesday now.....  there's a chance the rocket rashad could be promoted before sunday.....   deven hester/brian mitchel/mike nelms i'll be impressed to see.....

I'd put in a lot of factors, key being that we've already got young guys on our OL that we still need to evaluate. It'd be nice to see them get some game action but I don't think the FO is as afraid of the depth there. Add to that the fact that an OL has to learn a whole new blocking scheme if we sign them and it kinda explains it. Our thing with most guys we bring in (unless its another teams practice squad guy) has been to put them on our PS to train them up on the scheme before we add them to the active roster.

Hopefully we'll see Moses/Long/LeRib/Compton soon enough. Then we can decide how good our depth is.

I think his point is less about the signing, more about why are we wasting time/resources/PS roster spots, on positions of depth when we have such glaring weaknesses elsewhere? Like, is auditioning PS return men/WRs the bear use of our time?

Because return man is still a weakness. We're not getting turnovers and so the second best option is to get a return man to take some of those punts and get 10-15 yards with the potential to take it to the house.

EDIT: I was never a fan of Roberts being our return man, I had a feeling he'd be anther ARE and be so focused on the offense that he'd whiff on the ST.

I think his point is less about the signing, more about why are we wasting time/resources/PS roster spots, on positions of depth when we have such glaring weaknesses elsewhere? Like, is auditioning PS return men/WRs the bear use of our time?

Practice.....Squad.......we are talking about practice squad here...I mean what are we talking about? practice squad man. We talking about practice squad? Not the 53, we talkin practice squad. I mean, Not the 53, practice squad man. 

The job of the FO and the coaching staff is to continually try to upgrade the roster. Generally people knocking around at this stage of the season are not going to make an improvement right away to the roster, or any roster but there is no harm in looking, and maybe uncovering a potential gem. People stressing about looking at WR/PR for the PS really need to chill out.

If you don't look you cannot find.

The other thing.. I have seen a couple of things about how fantastic Kyle Shanahan is doing. Great fantastic except has anyone really watched the games he has called. Strong emphasis on the run have the QB pass a little (and really Hoyer is not good - although interestingly being hailed as a TNBT - 8 of 17 110+ QBR 200+ yards and a TD - I am not sure what QB that is. I have no issue with low attempts or being careful with the ball but really not efficient - less than 50% completion rate. The team they have beaten who I think are competitive are the Saints . They split the Steelers beaten the Jaguars and the Titans and lost to the Ravens . They play a murders row of the Jags, Titans and Tampa Bay in the next few weeks.

The Shanahans were bad dudes . Kyle needed to grow up and maybe coaching without his dad or his dads buddy might help him do that. I have no doubt he is a good co-ordinator but a kid.

Remember it was his offenses that lead us to 3-13 last season and looked stale and putrid in the process. It was him and his dad playing politics that tore the team apart last season - Mike is a snake and some of Mikes stank rubbed off on Kyle.

Also lets not forget it was Kyle and his dad that were terrible in 2010 and 2011 (before we declare all of our problems are RGIII related) and as a fan base stop fawning over past girlfriends and look to future (better) days...

Man

Sorry

Practice.....Squad.......we are talking about practice squad here...I mean what are we talking about? practice squad man. We talking about practice squad? Not the 53, we talkin practice squad. I mean, Not the 53, practice squad man. 

The team has glaring, glaring holes at LBer, Safety and OL, let alone maybe DL, but yeah lets experiment with the all important return man. That is the mentality a competitive team can afford to make. For those clamoring for Moss to see active duty, how about him as a return guy? 

The job of the FO and the coaching staff is to continually try to upgrade the roster. Generally people knocking around at this stage of the season are not going to make an improvement right away to the roster, or any roster but there is no harm in looking, and maybe uncovering a potential gem. People stressing about looking at WR/PR for the PS really need to chill out.

If you don't look you cannot find.

So finding a gem for the OL is less important than finding a gem on Teams only? Because that is what he would be, we have three solid starters at WR, and two capable backups. Ross is a luxury purchase. Like demanding Leather on a used beaten up work truck. Just dumb. 

I'll leave you with this chilling thought before heading to Redskins Park - I still feel Cerrato will return one day. Maybe as consultant.

@Snide_Remarks Apocalypse Wow!

#Redskins have not scored a TD on D or ST. Zero. #Eagles have scored seven. SEVEN.

@john_keim I guess there is not one OL any where that could be an improvement, yet they find a WR to develop, wowzer.

@johnnylocal @john_keim OR, they found a tall receiver to work our young DBs in practice. So they sign him to the 'practice' squad.

@BangRadioHour @john_keim Bang that would be the only way this signing makes any damn sense.

@johnnylocal @john_keim He returned some kicks, too. Could be looking at him for special teams. We need a gunner with a sense of direction.

@BangRadioHour @john_keim We need a right tackle with a compass, keeps heading the wrong way into the QB, lol.

@johnnylocal @bangradiohour no. Hes 6-foot; not big Simple: he has speed. No one they sign now will provide immediate help.

@john_keim @BangRadioHour Understand that @john_keim but you should attack you're greatest weaknesses early and often to fix them.

Practice squad players are not only for depth, but they also simulate the other team in practice. They help out in other areas besides being an emergency call up. To me, if you are calling guys up from the practice squad to the 53 man roster, you are in deep doo doo at that position.

The team has glaring, glaring holes at LBer, Safety and OL, let alone maybe DL, but yeah lets experiment with the all important return man. That is the mentality a competitive team can afford to make. For those clamoring for Moss to see active duty, how about him as a return guy? 

First of all, of all of the glaring holes I would hardly consider LB one of them...But seriously what do you want? You want nothing but those three positions represented on the practice squad?! You want to ignore every other weakness on the team because you can pin point the three(?) worst?!  The team is already trying to develop players at this position, which likely means they ALREADY knew those positions were going to be an issue. Just because they sign a WR, and cut another one might I add, doesn't mean they are ignoring other issues. I understand the lack of patience everyone has due to the losses, but crying over what positions are being signed to the practice squad is ridiculous. 

Currently on Practice Squad:

Akeem Davis - Safety 

Phillip Thomas - Safety

Gabe Miller - LB

Steve Beauharnais - LB

Tevita Stevens  - OL

Terren Jones - OL

Currently being developed on active roster:

Moses, Leribeous, Long, Compton - OL

Compton, Jordan, Hayward - LB

Sanford, Robinson - S

Have also brought in other Safeties they thought could help, such as Duke.

So are people really mad that we signed a return man to our practice squad? I'm seeing the twitter exchanges and at first I thought people were being sarcastic, but really? We have a hole on our roster at KR/PR. I wish we had signed a CB that could do returns, but those guys are hard to find. The next best thing is a RB or a WR who can do it. Ross has shown that he can do it and at least get the ball to the 40.

People like to talk about our OL, but we have the worse starting field position in the league. Yeah we may have enough WRs on the roster, but we can deactivate both Moss and Grant if Ross (a) makes the roster and ( B) shows that he can do a better job than Roberts. Hopefully it can help us improve our field position game.

The difference in return man and the positions you name (which we are trying to address through depth) is that return man has a much lower learning curve, so it can realistically be addressed mid-season. We signed both Duke and Sanford at Safety and neither has seen the field (Duke is now on IR) because they couldn't learn the playbook.

And its not like we're not signing guys (to the roster) to address the positions you name. We just signed Jackson Jeffcoat (OLB). We added both Duke and Sanford at S, we added Robert Thomas to the DL. We added Greg Ducre, Chase Minnifield and Richard Crawdord at CB.

The key thing is we're making moves to improve the team. Its not always going to be the sexy move but I'm glad we're not going after a bunch of old has-beens who are going to tie up most of the salary cap. We're signing guys to value contracts and asking them to prove their worth. Maybe we'll find a diamond in the rough (like we did with Chris Baker), maybe we won't. But all front offices are active like this trying to improve at every position.

Hey sorry what do I know about Football, I have been a fan of the wrong damn team the last twenty years. I will clamor for the OL until the day I die, guess how I started out had something to do with it. Thought I was a great corner, safety until I faced teams with dominate OL's who manhandled us and made me look stupid countless times. 

BTW, I am just completely flubbergasted at this point, and if the V word comes back, I believe that could be the straw. 

Per @fboutsiders #Redskins have easiest schedule in NFL from here on out. Problem is, 1-5 with only 21st-hardest. #RedskinsTalk

Hey sorry what do I know about Football, I have been a fan of the wrong damn team the last twenty years. I will clamor for the OL until the day I die, guess how I started out had something to do with it. Thought I was a great corner, safety until I faced teams with dominate OL's who manhandled us and made me look stupid countless times. 

I think we all clamor for some OL but PS is not where we will find it, we should draft them preferably in the 1st and 2nd round of next years draft. I'm pretty flabbergasted as well by this season but I think we need to just ride it out now and see what we have in the guys we drafted and focus on coaching, creating more turnovers, limiting our turnovers and create better field position, see if some guys prove themselves to be football players.

Am I the only one here that wouldn't mind seeing Moss cut to bring up a younger guy (Hank or Ross)? I love what Tana has done for the team, but we need the roster spot for a younger guy and I'd love for Santana to catch on with another team and get some playing time instead of being a weekly inactive.

Am I the only one here that wouldn't mind seeing Moss cut to bring up a younger guy (Hank or Ross)? I love what Tana has done for the team, but we need the roster spot for a younger guy and I'd love for Santana to catch on with another team and get some playing time instead of being a weekly inactive.

I wish Moss was blocking on that failed 3rd and 1 instead of DJax.

But...but...but....the intangibles!  LOLOLOL.

I 100% agree with you.  I love Moss for what he DID with this team.  But the Skins need to move on and that vacant roster spot on someone who can possibly contribute.  35 year old WRs are a rare breed in the league....unless you're someone like Steve Smith, and contributing, I just don't see the point of wasting a spot on a guy like Moss who is inactive all the time. 

I wish Moss was blocking on that failed 3rd and 1 instead of DJax.

I wish Chris Chester didn't trip up Jackson on the 40+ yard pass where he most likely would have scored. 

Archived