Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TK's Sportsbar: The official '14 season Twitter thread, whatnot free, Almond Milk included, Fat Tire Sponsored

SWFLSkins

and if the latter happens, will gruden still be around?  or will we again be getting a new coach where the players selected for gruden's system will not work with the new coach's system....  seems we can never get out of this vicious cycle....  and of course, on top of all that, there will be 0 FA's that will want to come to a losing team without it being all about the almighty dollar...   it's so damn frustrating.

That's the exact problem I have with this franchise, and the front office. I don't care about Allen's "footballness" I like the fact that he's investing in the draft and as long as Scott Campbell can be that "football guy" then I trust Allen - the business guy to be able to evaluate Campbell's talent evaluation and say whether or not he's doing a good job. But we can replace Campbell without needing to hire a new coach, cause new GMs want their own coaches. So hopefully we're starting to build an empire here.

Have to wait for the full-field view... but that sack on Tyler Polumbus sure looked like something Cousins could have prevented. #Redskins

It also looked like he had a couple people open. He just stood there. Ugly pocket presence on that play. #Redskins

I don't know how good our scouting dept is, but Bruce Allen has shown us over the last 4 years that he's interested in trading down in the draft and getting more picks. Maybe a better scouting dept would have known to value Watt over Kerrigan and Jenkins/Hankerson (i forget), but I wonder how much that was known at the time.

But I'm confident that we can get some talented players. Question is will they be difference makers, or developmental guys to contribute in 2-3 years?

I dunno. Just because you trade down, doesn't always mean you're making the right move. Sure more picks are nice, but if you aren't using them right, what good is it?

Puts things in perspective when discussing just how good Ryan Kerrigan has been. #Redskins

Bz7fLQmIgAAreiK.jpg

The #Redskins must find a way to convert more third downs: http://www.timesdispatch.com/redskins-xtra/third-downs-have-been-an-achilles-heel-for-redskins-offense/article_7b793a02-075a-5c0d-bef7-50795a8246f4.html?TNNoMobile …

Emmanual Benton ‏@Manny_PPI  24s

Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, and Von Miller all have more careers sacks than Brian Orakpo in two less years of play. Kerrigan 9 away from Rak.

You know, I'm really tired of hearing the "we missed out on JJ Watt" crap.  So did the first 10 teams in that draft.  Yes, JJ Watt is a monster.  Yes, in hindsight we could use him now.  But what gets to me is, you guys act like Kerrigan is a bust.  Kerrigan works his ass off out there week after week.  He's made some amazing plays over the years.  Stop with the comparisons.  One is an OLB, the other is a DE.  I mean, come on.  If Kerrigan was a bust, I'd agree with everyone.  But Ryan is a baller with a good motor. At the time, we needed more than one player and the trade allowed us to get a lot of picks. Jesus Christ this fanbase appreciates NOTHING!

Hogs Taking NFL’s Greatest Offensive Line Vote In Landslide: (AP photo) The fans have spoken, and the Washingt... http://bit.ly/1sNHBG9 

As much as Jay Gruden wanted to take the blame, his schemes a good, receivers are running open.

As much as Jay Gruden wanted to take the blame, his schemes a good, receivers are running open.

Could say the same about Kyles O. Coaches need to coach the players to make the plays...a lot of people can draw up plays that work...but only a few can actually get the guys to make the plays. 

You know, I'm really tired of hearing the "we missed out on JJ Watt" crap.  So did the first 10 teams in that draft.  Yes, JJ Watt is a monster.  Yes, in hindsight we could use him now.  But what gets to me is, you guys act like Kerrigan is a bust.  Kerrigan works his ass off out there week after week.  He's made some amazing plays over the years.  Stop with the comparisons.  One is an OLB, the other is a DE.  I mean, come on.  If Kerrigan was a bust, I'd agree with everyone.  But Ryan is a baller with a good motor. At the time, we needed more than one player and the trade allowed us to get a lot of picks. Jesus Christ this fanbase appreciates NOTHING!

In fairness Paul was not saying that, it was a tweet, I don't see a lot of members saying Kerrigan is a bust. 

Could say the same about Kyles O. Coaches need to coach the players to make the plays...a lot of people can draw up plays that work...but only a few can actually get the guys to make the plays. 

Well, Kyle's offense IS also good.  Bad players and basic coaching is what's been killing us.

In fairness Paul was not saying that, it was a tweet, I don't see a lot of members saying Kerrigan is a bust.

I wasn't talking about Paul's post. Just the other numbskulls in the thread that pine for Watt, when we have a good player with Kerrigan.  No one said he was a bust, I was saying that the only reason they could complain is IF he was a bust.

It was just a coincidence that my post came right after his. I agree with his post.

Puts things in perspective when discussing just how good Ryan Kerrigan has been. #Redskins

This isn't to say Kerrigan isn't a good player but you also have to consider:

Games Played 

Aldon Smith 43

Von Miller 45

JJ Watt  54

Robert Quinn  52

Justin Houston 48

Ryan Kerrigan 54

Durability is good too but to simply put his sack numbers against others from his class is a misleading exercise.  Good all around player but not in the same category as those pass rushers.  If anything his post speaks to the quality of the pass rushers coming out of that class.

1. That was a very good draft class for pass rushers

2. Being at the bottom of that list doesn't make one a bad player or a bust.

3. Looking at Rush options only is misleading as a over all value of a player. For example, Watt has less sacks than Smith or Miller but I'd dare say is a better player.

Kerrigan has been an absolutely good 1st round pick. It wasn't perhaps a home run like Von Miller or Watt, but it's a solid triple.  I'll take a solid triple on my 1st round picks every single time and not cry a tear.

If we're drafting top 5, we need to trade down. We can get difference makers all throughout the draft JJ Watt was the 11th pick. Patrick Willis was the 11th pick. Ahmad Brooks was a third rounder. We just need to target these guys.

Player projections are never this simplistic. Otherwise, Aaron Rodgers would have went 1st overall. You have no idea whether or not a player is going to be good at a pro level most of the time, whether they are drafted in the first or the seventh.

I don't know how good our scouting dept is, but Bruce Allen has shown us over the last 4 years that he's interested in trading down in the draft and getting more picks. Maybe a better scouting dept would have known to value Watt over Kerrigan and Jenkins/Hankerson (i forget), but I wonder how much that was known at the time.

But I'm confident that we can get some talented players. Question is will they be difference makers, or developmental guys to contribute in 2-3 years?

I have a feeling we'll end up picking around 5. That spot will work out pretty well as its loaded with our choice of really good 3-4 OLBs and 3-4 DE's (Fowler(OLB), Oakman(DE), Waynes(CB), Gregory(OLB), and L. Williams(DE))...If for whatever reason Mariota or Winston fall to us we can pull a Rams circa 2012 and stock up, but I dont see them falling to 5. 

You would too with all those weapons! Josh Gordon, Alex Mack, Jordan Cameron, Ben Tate, the list goes on and on.

Like Djax, Morris, reed, garçon, and Roberts?

I digress. The problem with this organization is not coaching. Never has been. Except spurrier

I dunno. Just because you trade down, doesn't always mean you're making the right move. Sure more picks are nice, but if you aren't using them right, what good is it?

Yeah, that's why I mentioned the Kerrigan vs Watt pick. But since I don't trust our scouting department to find THE guy, I'd rather just give them more shots at the roulette wheel, and play the oddds.

Archived