The Trashman

Best 40 time draft year:

Thompson - 4.32

Helu - 4.34

Seastrunk - 4.46

Royster - 4.53

Redd - 4.57

Morris - 4.63

In the 2 games Royster started (2011) as the feature back ... he gained 100+ yd/game ... most people know that ... not too many recall that he didn't have a negative yardage rush in either game (Eagles and the Vikings ... 2 pretty decent defenses) ... and more than half his rushes were for 3 or more yards (might not sound great ... but its better than Morris or Helu in 2013 (about 47% and 42% respectively) ... and 5 or more yards 41% of the time (Morris 29% and Helu 25% in 2013).  Thats the way you move the chains and keep drives alive.  

FYSA Morris lost yards on 9.6% of his carries in 2013 ... Helu on 16.1%

You're comparing Royster's 2011 season to Morris' and Helu's 2013? At least compare the same seasons. Compare Helu's 2011 to Royster's 2011, or Royster's 2012 to Morris' 2012. That way they're playing behind the same line, against the same teams, and under the same team conditions.

I think Strunk is in and it will come down to Roy vs Roy for the #2.

I think you are right about Seastrunk but it is interesting that Redd has come in before him in both games so far. That might be just about evaluation but it also might mean something in terms of the pecking order.

Why is anyone convinced Royster could "carry the load" if thrust into the #1 RB role for awhile but Helu could not? Both were placed in that role in their rookie seasons and both did very well...Helu had 3 consecutive 100 yard rushing games that season.

Why is anyone convinced Royster would be a better receiver out of the backfield than Helu? Helu has 87 receptions in 3 years (with one of those years negated by injury), while Royster has 25 receptions in three years. As well as Helu broke the Skins' reception record for a game with 14 catches. I think he's shown he can do the job, regardless of whether or not he dropped a pass in a preseason game.

Why would anyone think Helu isn't more dynamic than Royster? Helu has the athleticism to hurdle would-be tacklers (in 2011 and 2013) and still sprint untouched into the end zone (2011), nonetheless run a 50 yard dump-off pass in for a TD while pulling a hamstring along the way. I remember last season Helu went in for Morris but I didn't realize it...and on the next play it looked like Morris was shot out of a damn cannon lol. Only after the long run did I realize it was Helu. Trust me, he's more than dynamic enough.

As much as I like Royster (and I do), when you compare actual in-game performance and production it's not even remotely close. There's a reason Gruden said he trusts Helu more than the other RBs not named Morris...and it's not because he has a mancrush on the guy. He's looking at FAR more than twitter comments and a half of preseason play to judge the guy.

I think you are right about Seastrunk but it is interesting that Redd has come in before him in both games so far. That might be just about evaluation but it also might mean something in terms of the pecking order.

I think Redd has looked better personally. But Strunk is the Sproles type and Redd is the Morris type.

I can see Redd sneaking onto the PS, but not Strunk. Also, if you're going with one Vet, it's Roy vs. Roy and probably Strunk. CT can go PS, PUP or IR.

Why is anyone convinced Royster could "carry the load" if thrust into the #1 RB role for awhile but Helu could not? 

You didn't see his three great plays i the last game?

one run ... yes I know, VERY SMALL sample size, but this run is ingrained in my head

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d82599a7a/RB-Royster-28-yd-run

one thing you can't take away from Evan, like Bang said, is positive yardage/fall forward ability and for me, I think he has great vision. 

His one knock really ... durability. Kid get hurts way too much. 

I think he could be good if given the chance and if stays healthy.  Big "if's" I know ... 

Why is anyone convinced Royster could "carry the load" if thrust into the #1 RB role for awhile but Helu could not? Both were placed in that role in their rookie seasons and both did very well...Helu had 3 consecutive 100 yard rushing games that season.

Why is anyone convinced Royster would be a better receiver out of the backfield than Helu? Helu has 87 receptions in 3 years (with one of those years negated by injury), while Royster has 25 receptions in three years. As well as Helu broke the Skins' reception record for a game with 14 catches. I think he's shown he can do the job, regardless of whether or not he dropped a pass in a preseason game.

Why would anyone think Helu isn't more dynamic than Royster? Helu has the athleticism to hurdle would-be tacklers (in 2011 and 2013) and still sprint untouched into the end zone (2011), nonetheless run a 50 yard dump-off pass in for a TD while pulling a hamstring along the way. I remember last season Helu went in for Morris but I didn't realize it...and on the next play it looked like Morris was shot out of a damn cannon lol. Only after the long run did I realize it was Helu. Trust me, he's more than dynamic enough.

As much as I like Royster (and I do), when you compare actual in-game performance and production it's not even remotely close. There's a reason Gruden said he trusts Helu more than the other RBs not named Morris...and it's not because he has a mancrush on the guy. He's looking at FAR more than twitter comments and a half of preseason play to judge the guy.

I think he can carry the load because he's been a back that has carried the load before in a power set.

I'd like to see him get more touches, and most importantly, i'd like to see him make the 53. i think he's definitely good enough to do what will be necessary.

As it is now he's on the bubble, and pantywaist Chris Thompson is somehow above him, Redd and 'Strunk.. even though he is never on the field.

For me, my push for Royster is to make it over Thompson, who might be good, but damn if anyone could tell by his seat in the training room. i don't want to let talent get away to keep a fragile little butterfly who I'm not confident will be here when it matters.

Personally, i LIKE Royster better than Helu for the reasons I've laid out above, but ultimately, I don't care which one holds the role..   i just don't want to put him on the street while we cross our fingers that Chris Thompson's menstrual cycle doesn't conflict with game days.

~Bang

I think Royster suffers from the very problem of what hes good at.  Hes solid.  However, the Redskins already have two very solid backs in Morris and Helu.  The logical choice is to take a speedster, 3rd down threat to compliment them, and Royster just isnt that.  If you had just a speedster as your main back then I could see Royster.  But in this case Im afraid he appears to be on the outside looking in.

I think Royster suffers from the very problem of what hes good at.  Hes solid.  However, the Redskins already have two very solid backs in Morris and Helu.  The logical choice is to take a speedster, 3rd down threat to compliment them, and Royster just isnt that.  If you had just a speedster as your main back then I could see Royster.  But in this case Im afraid he appears to be on the outside looking in.

Very well said. Royster is a solid back but given our current situation I think he will be gone. As I've mentioned before another team will pick him up and I hope he does well with someone else (as long as it's not within the division).

You're comparing Royster's 2011 season to Morris' and Helu's 2013? At least compare the same seasons. Compare Helu's 2011 to Royster's 2011, or Royster's 2012 to Morris' 2012. That way they're playing behind the same line, against the same teams, and under the same team conditions.

I did previously ... its posted somewhere on this site ... same story and same conclusion ... but good point ... I'd note that reinforces the conclusion that Helu is not a good option for a regular high # carries/game but is a good option as a 3rd and long back or 4th QTR down by 2+ scores back ... he's a CLASSIC all or nothing back ... and absolutely not a good choice for moving the chains and sustaining drives.  Royster on the other hand is a good choice for primary ball carrier high carries/game as is Morris.  If the coaches aren't looking at Morris, Royster, Redd as candidates for primary ball carrier and Helu, Thompson, Seastrunk as primary candidates for 3rd down/change of pace back ... then their are about as unqualified to be coaches as they could be.

Not that anyone cares besides me but I thought that Royster with very limited touches in 2012, was playing injured much of that year. IIRC he got hurt in preseason but didn't miss any time, and got snaps because we simply had no one else.  Morris did SO well, he needed breathers often. ER (no pun intended) just seemed more a decoy, a faux hands back with very limited touches. He clearly blocked well though, and was out in the typical hands role. Late in the year when we got his number called, he looked great and I think even scored vs Seattle. Of course, they may not have covered him after reviewing game tape laff.gif

A preseason flash by Royster or Helu should be ignored. Look at the large sample sizes. Yes the OLs where the same in 2012 and 2013. Helu held up well last year, and being healthy more recently, made him the early Gruden favorite.

I wonder if he is still the favorite though. RG3 almost got freight trained from a Helu whiff. And had a drop. Coaches hate drops. I think.

Very well said. Royster is a solid back but given our current situation I think he will be gone. As I've mentioned before another team will pick him up and I hope he does well with someone else (as long as it's not within the division).

I think he will be gone as well ... but I don't think he should be.  For me the problem is what I think are some surprisingly unseasoned football "perspectives" that people keep tossing out ...

the Speed thing ... He's not slow, he's faster than our best back, Morris ... one of the best in the league

the Receiving thing ... He can catch as demonstrated and he has always been good at it ... his NCAA #'s are comparable to "Hands" Helu

the Style thing ... the only "style" that ought to matter is performance ... he gets positive yards, he doesn't lose yards and the numbers are better than Helu (and Morris for that matter) ... style is a personal thing ... me I'll take smooth and steady and positive yards over anything associated with a close to 1 in 5 chance of negative yards (Helu)

the Blocking thing ... the other backs may or may not be OK at it ... but there's a reason he was the back of choice to stay in the backfield and protect our franchise QB ... why it needs to be said but here it is .. .he's better at it than they are

the ST thing ... he played STs ... I don't have the film to review so maybe the reason they sucked is he sucks but non the less he played STs for the Redskins and I don't remember seeing low-lights linking him to any of their problems

He's the best back on the roster behind Morris.

I don't even think it's close.

Always goes forward.

~Bang

Totally agree with this and have thought for awhile that he's the best pure runner we have.  If it were up to me, I'd keep him over Helu, as you don't need two non-homerun backs behind Morris on the depth chart.  If we keep three RB's I'd go with:

- Morris

- Royster

- Seastrunk

If we keep four:

- Morris

- Royster

- Seastrunk

- Redd.

I really think Redd has the same pure-running ability I see in Morris and Royster, moreso than in Helu, Thompson, or Seastrunk  He reminds me a lot of Rashard Mendenhall.

I liked Royster Monday night and he reassured me that he IS capable.   I remember Jay saying that out of ALL of the RBs, Helu was the best pass blocker.  This RB battle will go down until the very last play against Tampa.  If I had to pick the odd man out, it's Thompson.  Activate Redd and leave Seastrunk on PS to work on his pass blocking skills.   Jay Gru the damaja already stated, pass blocking is a key factor.  Should be interesting to see how it ends.

I've seen Royster trip and fall over the 35 yard line on multiple occasions. And while he was going forward, it could've been for a lot more yardage or even points.

He's a steady eddie but he isn't going to grow anymore than he already has. He's a very good back to have on your team if you have a spot for him. Unfortunately I think his time has come.

My only hope is that we can get a 7th out of one of these RB starved teams, and there are several of them out there... if only to not see him go to the Giants.

We kept him last year for the reason of not letting him go to another team and it cost us line depth/experience somewhere else.

I've seen Royster trip and fall over the 35 yard line on multiple occasions. And while he was going forward, it could've been for a lot more yardage or even points.

He's a steady eddie but he isn't going to grow anymore than he already has. He's a very good back to have on your team if you have a spot for him. Unfortunately I think his time has come.

My only hope is that we can get a 7th out of one of these RB starved teams, and there are several of them out there... if only to not see him go to the Giants.

We kept him last year for the reason of not letting him go to another team and it cost us line depth/experience somewhere else.

Pretty much this, though I didn't mind keeping him last year.

I sure wish Jumbo would send me my decoder glasses. I sent in the box tops at least 4 to 6 weeks ago.

~Bang

I've having a little issue with the Singapore distributor. I've sent Nick the Nose to "discuss" matters with the concerned parties, so you should have the glasses soon. May need a little cleaning.

Something tells me that image of Cavin in the beanie is how some of y'all see me when i'm raving about Royster

:D

~Bang

I like the dude a lot.  I just don't think he does anything to separate himself.

I remember feeling horrible for him last year.  Chic Hernandez interviewed him after the Bucs game and he was devastated because he thought he was getting cut the next day. 

I think he will be gone as well ... but I don't think he should be.  For me the problem is what I think are some surprisingly unseasoned football "perspectives" that people keep tossing out ...

the Speed thing ... He's not slow, he's faster than our best back, Morris ... one of the best in the league

the Receiving thing ... He can catch as demonstrated and he has always been good at it ... his NCAA #'s are comparable to "Hands" Helu

the Style thing ... the only "style" that ought to matter is performance ... he gets positive yards, he doesn't lose yards and the numbers are better than Helu (and Morris for that matter) ... style is a personal thing ... me I'll take smooth and steady and positive yards over anything associated with a close to 1 in 5 chance of negative yards (Helu)

the Blocking thing ... the other backs may or may not be OK at it ... but there's a reason he was the back of choice to stay in the backfield and protect our franchise QB ... why it needs to be said but here it is .. .he's better at it than they are

the ST thing ... he played STs ... I don't have the film to review so maybe the reason they sucked is he sucks but non the less he played STs for the Redskins and I don't remember seeing low-lights linking him to any of their problems

I totally agree with everything you said. He shouldn't be cut and maybe there's a chance they will keep him. Heaven forbid that Morris gets hurt, but if he were I would rather have Royster than Helu back there.

You have to think that if a premium is indeed placed on blocking, as coaches and many posters suggest, this should help Royster. 

While we all want to have a home run back, if they can't block, are they still a lock to beat out Royster; will Gruden trust them vs the blitz, especially if our OL has struggles in pass protection this preseason?

For all those home run swings we take, (drafting Helu CT, Seastrunk), we don't seem to hit that homer very often.

Regardless I want to see Seastrunk seize that 3rd spot and live with any growing pains, but think Evan is not going to make the decision as easy as I first thought.  

Sooooooo everybody said Royster was off the team yet he has two good plays against back ups in the browns game and everybody wants him to make the team? LOL

The guy is TERRIBLE and when he plays bad against the Ravens you guys will lock this thread. lol 

If Royster goes, expect the Browns to scoop him up within 24 hours. Shanahan Jr. is very, very high on him. Trust that.

Why would the browns scoop him up? They have Ben Tate, Terrance West and Dion Lewis who are all better than Evan Royster. Evan Royster SUCKS nobody would pick him up he would rot in free agency until someone gets a RB injury. 

Archived