Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The case for Evan Royster

The Trashman

SMH at this thread and everyone that's jumping on his bandwagon after 1 ok half vs 2's and 3's

You haven't been paying attention.

Maybe it's all this unnecessary head slapping that is damaging your ability to perceive that life existed before this August.

But, just for kicks, what is it you see in Helu that makes you so ready to slap yourself in the head at the thought of him being supplanted as #2?

Or Redd, or seastrunk or Thompson or any of them?

~Bang

Best 40 time draft year:

Thompson - 4.32

Helu - 4.34

Seastrunk - 4.46

Royster - 4.53

Redd - 4.57

Morris - 4.63

In the 2 games Royster started (2011) as the feature back ... he gained 100+ yd/game ... most people know that ... not too many recall that he didn't have a negative yardage rush in either game (Eagles and the Vikings ... 2 pretty decent defenses) ... and more than half his rushes were for 3 or more yards (might not sound great ... but its better than Morris or Helu in 2013 (about 47% and 42% respectively) ... and 5 or more yards 41% of the time (Morris 29% and Helu 25% in 2013).  Thats the way you move the chains and keep drives alive.  

FYSA Morris lost yards on 9.6% of his carries in 2013 ... Helu on 16.1%

Royster has already proven himself, like Helu. They are both viable backups. The battle between them seems to be who can stay healthy. I had kind of been poking a stick at those that say Helu is a lock, because he hasn't really impressed me in his time here. Last night certainly didn't help. That may be my own fault for having the expectation that he is a home run guy.  But I have been thinking about a new look. Helu did good last year, but his 3 TD game aside, was meh as a backup.. He looked a lot more like Royster, tough straight running. 

I think the only reason he is a lock early on is because Royster was coming off a major injury. 

Royster in 2012 got a ton of snaps, not so many touches. But he was our backup in our playoff run and actually got his number called late in the year.  

Flip a coin and I think we will get similar production, injury risk, pass pro, hands. between the 2. 

Royster has already proven himself, like Helu. They are both viable backups. The battle between them seems to be who can stay healthy. I had kind of been poking a stick at those that say Helu is a lock, because he hasn't really impressed me in his time here. Last night certainly didn't help. That may be my own fault for having the expectation that he is a home run guy.  But I have been thinking about a new look. Helu did good last year, but his 3 TD game aside, was meh as a backup. He looked a lot more like Royster, tough straight running. 

I think the only reason he is a lock early on is because Royster was coming off a major injury. 

Royster in 2012 got a ton of snaps, not so many touches. But he was our backup in our playoff run and actually got his number called late in the year.  

Flip a coin and I think we will get similar production, injury risk, pass pro, hands. between the 2. 

they are radically different back types.  Helu is an all or nothing (loss) back and Royster is a pound it and get positive yardage with every carry who can roll 20+ when the opportunity is there.  Helu lost yards on 16% of his carries last season ... that's a drive killer of the first magnitude.  He's not offering much if anything better than Morris for big pick-ups either.  Best thing he has going for him is his speed ... and agreeing with an earlier poster ... I don't think its been on display in a long time.

What has evan royster done that Helu has not? 

Royster career stats 81att 416yds 5.1ypc 2tds; 25rec 37 tgts 180yds 7.2ypc 0td

Helu career stats 215att 916yds 4.3ypc 6tds;  87rec 108 tgts 675yds 7.8ypc 1td

Royster is a better runner but it does seem that Helu is the better receiver

Royster caught 68% of his targets and Helu caught 81%

I think that is the difference

Royster has 2nd best vision of the rbs, but  Evan simply would not be able to carry the load, when comparing him to Helu... 16 games if something happened to Morris.  He has below average strength, average speed but good hands.  Helu has more strength, speed, but less vision.

I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.  But he's a 3rd down back at best but is no real threat out of the backfield and no help on special teams.   He's Marcus Mason all over haha.  We root for him cause he's the underdog but he truly have no business being on a team that have a talented backfield. 

If a guy is going to be 3rd string he should at least be the X factor, a speed guy, a power guy, or simply a special teams wonder.  He is none of those. 

With that said, Redd and Seastrunk may not be up to speed in relying on them in a game this year (practice squad?) so you may keep Royster as your 3rd but best believe he will be replaced as soon as those guys get their blocking, pass routes, catching up to par.

they are radically different back types.  Helu is an all or nothing (loss) back and Royster is a pound it and get positive yardage with every carry who can roll 20+ when the opportunity is there.  Helu lost yards on 16% of his carries last season ... that's a drive killer of the first magnitude.  He's not offering much if anything better than Morris for big pick-ups either.  Best thing he has going for him is his speed ... and agreeing with an earlier poster ... I don't think its been on display in a long time.

Helu is more dynamic but I would swear he was less so last year. I dont read into the tackle for loss too much, teams attacked our offense all year long. The difference between his 16 and Morris's 9, Morris breaks tackles. 

Perhaps where I am wrong, is that Shanahan used him more like he should a Royster. The stretch run was gone, Helu ran a bunch up inside, and I think simply did not have a chance to show his moves or speed.

I am still not convinced he has that same 40 time coming out of college after having the 2 Achilles thing, which wiped out an entire year.  I just don't recall seeing that great speed of his since 2011 if not 2010. Its been a long time. 

Helu is more dynamic ...

What does that mean?  He's supposed to be slightly faster ... he doesn't look it much recently ... he's off and I think Royster is finally over some nagging injuries.  He is a herky-jerky runner and it looks interesting ... but his performance doesn't stack up.  His average is lower, his carries for a loss percentage is much much higher.  Add in the subtle non-stat of pass protection and frankly its hard to figure out what anyone sees in him to make him a lock.  I like him as the desperate 3rd and really long role ... I like him in that mode but not in need 3 yards or going to rush it 20+ times/game mode.

After what I've seen in the preseason, I can say for sure that we do not have RB problem. A case can be made for every RB on the roster to make the final 53. Interestingly enough, with the Owners voting to expand the practice squad, I think every RB will be on the final roster and practice squad. I don't see us losing anyone. I think the vote expand the practice squad literally just saved Royster's job.

What does that mean?  He's supposed to be slightly faster ... he doesn't look it much recently ... he's off and I think Royster is finally over some nagging injuries.  He is a herky-jerky runner and it looks interesting ... but his performance doesn't stack up.  His average is lower, his carries for a loss percentage is much much higher.  Add in the subtle non-stat of pass protection and frankly its hard to figure out what anyone sees in him to make him a lock.  I like him as the desperate 3rd and really long role ... I like him in that mode but not in need 3 yards or going to rush it 20+ times/game mode.

Maybe you answered it.

He is slightly faster, a more herky jerky runner. 

I'm a Penn State guy so I've always rooted for Royster, but it's going to be hard for him to make the team. I hope he does though. Helu Jr. will be the backup, I don't think there's much to dispute that really. Seastrunk will most likely make the team as well because of his explosiveness. If we keep 4 backs then Royster probably makes the team, but seeing that DY will be on the roster that would make for 5 running backs. I don't think there will be enough roster space to do that.

I would hate for Dallas or the Giants to pick him up though. Mark my words he will get picked up from another team and probably do well in a backup role.

This is some Twilight Zone **** man. 80% of this boards has been wondering how the hell the dude has stayed on the team so long. Now, after two plays, "He's the 2nd best back on the team" Bruh what??! lol.

This sounds like a board-wide troll job. 

Being the 'second best back on the team" only means being better than Helu.

I don't see that as some monumental feat.

Why is helu so much better an option,. for one, and for two, if you think it's justb two plays, you haven't been paying attention for long. he's been producing when he's been given the chance since he's been here.

what makes helu so all fired better that it's mind boggling to think Royster is better?

~Bang

Maybe you answered it.

He is slightly faster, a more herky jerky runner. 

Which means he goes sideways.

Which loses yards.

Which Royster tends to not do very much.

~Bang

I wasn't able to watch much of the game, just some plays here and there. But I did notice he ran an excellent route out of the backfield and had the defender completely turned around. Not to mention, he made the catch for a nice gain (I think in the red zone). I was like "who was that?!" Then realized it was Royster. Shiftier than a remembered. 

I wasn't able to watch much of the game, just some plays here and there. But I did notice he ran an excellent route out of the backfield and had the defender completely turned around. Not to mention, he made the catch for a nice gain (I think in the red zone). I was like "who was that?!" Then realized it was Royster. Shiftier than a remembered. 

It was a nice catch and run for sure. The defender he beat though was a DE - so he should be beating him on a pass route. The TD he scored said more about him than anything - man on man in the hole with a linebacker at the goal line and the linebacker ends up on his back while our band are playing Hail to the Redskins. Loved that.

Ok- I see some even suggest this is a 'troll job' thread.

I went to camp last year and followed CT on almost every snap for 3 straight days. ES man crush last year. Dropped punts, bad angles, no explosion.

Than I watch preseason and Royster is pretty much steady Eddie.

I'm not saying he's being robbed of a starter. But he's outperformed CT 2 consecutive years. Further, I agree if it comes down to #3 back, speed is paramount. However, Helu looked meh on MNF. And ER's '2 good plays' are not coincidence as so many suggest

If you're a coach I said that its better to go with someone you can trust than potential and routine mistakes

PS- I have nothing but disdain for PSU

Archived