Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Browns

NoLeafClover

I would love to know what Gruden says to Haslett after he gets a personal foul penalty.  On the list of unacceptable actions during games, coaches get 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalities has got to be pretty high on the list.  Any coach that gets a penalty during a game should have their you-know-what handed to them after the game.  

I think I heard they were both yelling at the refs, so he might not have had much of a leg to stand on.

But in general, yes, a coach getting a 15 yarder is really bad. :)

Just took a look at ESPN's reel of Griffin, to specifically watch a random sample of the OL play.  Chester is either whiffing or rapidly getting pushed back into Griffin in each play.  Polumbus was whiffing too.  They especially don't seem to be up to the speed of picking up blitzers, stunts, etc.

Do you have a link? I'd like to watch it tonight.  I didn't notice that real-time, but I probably missed it, I wasn't really watching for it.

I give him a solid B.  

Positives:

1. Went through his progressions, and really only missed 2 throws.  1 was the INT, the other I honestly don't remember.  The rest were right on the money.

2. Looked REALLY fast with a great burst when escaping the pocket.

3. Hit a beautiful ball down the sideline to Roberts. Loved to see that.

4. Hit a good checkdown to D. Jax that he dropped.  

Negatives:

1. The INT was a really bad decision, late throw, and off his back leg.  The 3 deadly sins.

2. Decision making when scrambling.  Needs to figure out what to do a beat sooner, and then he'll be fine.

4 positives.  2 negatives.  

B grade.  And I really think that with a game-plan, and a full game, he would have thrown for at least 250, if not more yards (clearly the Browns would be game-planning also).  

The incomplete pass to djax sucked, Garcon had beaten his man like a drum and spun the db around and was wide open up the sideline, would have been a sure TD if Griffin had seen it

Question to all, how did everyone feel about our RB play (besides Morris). Who looked the best between Helu, Royster, Redd, & Seastrunk??

Helu had a poor night. He missed a blitz pick up on the interception RGIII threw and also dropped a pass on a check down. Royster looked very good on his limited action - caught a ball and made a nice move picking up good yardage and his TD was a thing of beauty - he was one on one with a linebacker in the hole and trucked him.

Redd looked good but nothing flashy - he did a nice job picking up a blitz on one olay I noticed. To me though Seastrunk flashed the most - he has a really nice burst and good vision, almost always seems to get something positive from his carries.

I thinkw e are in great shape in terms of depth running the ball but Im still not sure we have a third down back.

^^^^

Chuckle about the Manziel article. 

I think the thing that made me happiest last night is that our defense didn't get punked by Johnny Manziel.  I think that if that had happened, _I_ would have bumped the "Haslett show something" thread and started a rant.  (And bumping that thread is not something I would normally do.)

It was nice to see the D not get torched by a mobile QB. 

And if what Ryan Clark said on MIke and Mike this morning was what was said to him, Manziel REALLY needs to grow up.  They (allegedly) pretty much just said the pros at this level are faster than him.

It was surprising to see our 3rd string LBs easily containing him. He did not look fast at all. I would be concerned if I was a Browns fan. People are worried about RG3 but imagine if THAT was your choice. 

I believe it was Garcon he overthrew in the endzone.

He never threw to Garcon...

He threw a pick and his other incompletion was a drop by Helu.

I have to add how disappointed I am in this fanbase.

Griffin looks better than he has since 2012 at any point, and we are nitpicking a couple of coachable plays?

Good lord.

He threw a pick and his other incompletion was a drop by Helu.I have to add how disappointed I am in this fanbase.

Griffin looks better than he has since 2012 at any point, and we are nitpicking a couple of coachable plays?

Good lord.

He did throw 2 passes to Garcon - one was complete and one incomplete but both plays were called back for penalties.

He did throw 2 passes to Garcon - one was complete and one incomplete but both plays were called back for penalties.

I know.  I'm re-watching now.  But neither counted so thus he never threw to Garcon.

I knew that everyone was going to freak out about this game.

Our ones vs their ones... we win that game last night.  That's what I came away with.

Did you see what the Browns did to the Lions last week?  I'll let you in on a secret... we did much better.  And they arguably have a better receiving corps than us or are at least close weapons-wise.

Go look a few posts up for a breakdown of every pass play.  There was no overthrow at all.  

I think it was a little overthrown, but I would not call it a bad pass. Garçon might have been able to make the grab had he not been held,but we will never know.

Rewatching it this morning it looks like even if Garcon managed to catch it he would have to be out of bounds to do it.  I liked the play though, he just put a tiny bit too much on it, which also means it won't get picked.

Good lord.

Come on DC.  You actually think the majority of the people on this board know what they're seeing?  There are literally a handful of people on this board that I've "met" in the last (almost) 10 years who actually see things the way that I do.  Perception isn't always reality and I'm not saying that I'm always right, but I don't even respond to these people who are so off on their analysis.  They're clueless.  

The guy is talking about the overthrow to the back left corner of the end zone.  PG was held on the route, RGIII saw that, and just threw it up knowing he was likely going to get the call.  You could tell by the way he was clapping immediately after he let go of the ball.  PG was getting mugged.  I would surmise that Robert was trying to let the ball go quicker this time where last week he threw the ball late to the back right pylon.  But, "OMG, Robert can't make the throws and doesn't know how to slide etc, wash, rinse, repeat...."  SMFH.  Same ol' same ol' around here.  

The guy is talking about the overthrow to the back left corner of the end zone.  PG was held on the route, RGIII saw that, and just threw it up knowing he was likely going to get the call.  You could tell by the way he was clapping immediately after he let go of the ball.  PG was getting mugged.  I would surmise that Robert was trying to let the ball go quicker this time where last week he threw the ball late to the back right pylon.  But, "OMG, Robert can't make the throws and doesn't know how to slide etc, wash, rinse, repeat...."  SMFH.  Same ol' same ol' around here.  

The Browns came out in the bear alignment to stop the run.  Griffin checked to a fade to Garcon.  Garcon did have a good/clean release and Griffin did miss the throw but it was nothing to get upset about in the 2nd game of the preseason. 

Good lord.

It's become hard to be on here after games or listen to radio shows. This fan base will **** and moan about EVERYTHING.

Yes, RG3 had one really bad throw. But the other 7 he made, looked pretty damn good. So of course, everyone will just hang onto that one bad pass and say he was terrible. I've seen Peyton Manning make throws off his back foot still. It happens. It's a teachable moment in a PRESEASON game. Better to make those mistakes now than during the regulat season. But, Skins fans and DC sports fans in general, love drama and controversy.

The play where griffin gets hit on the side line, watching him as he's running to the line and hearing what he had to say after the game, it looks like he may have wanted his receiver to block his man back into the field to give him a lane to run up, as well as be able to quickly get out of bounds if someone is lining up to hit him.  But that didn't happen and he looks like he doesn't quite know what to do.  A little slide there for ten yards would have made that a decent play, and I think he will start to do that soon.

The play where griffin gets hit on the side line, watching him as he's running to the line and hearing what he had to say after the game, it looks like he may have wanted his receiver to block his man back into the field to give him a lane to run up, as well as be able to quickly get out of bounds if someone is lining up to hit him.  But that didn't happen and he looks like he doesn't quite know what to do.  A little slide there for ten yards would have made that a decent play, and I think he will start to do that soon.

See the thing is you also don't want him sliding too soon.  It's a no-win situation for Griffin.  If the block comes or if the defender slips, takes a bad angle, etc. you want to leave open the possibility of the great play.  You can't slide five yards before contact and really no one does.

I woulldn't mind him having a better Spidey sense to where he could duck out of bounds or slide about a second sooner on some plays, but I certainly don't want him to play "scared"

I was pretty okay with most of his runs including the two slides... though I wouldn't be upset if Snyder brought in a baseball coach for a daily drill with Griffin just to improve his technique.

It's become hard to be on here after games or listen to radio shows. This fan base will **** and moan about EVERYTHING.

Yes, RG3 had one really bad throw. But the other 7 he made, looked pretty damn good. So of course, everyone will just hang onto that one bad pass and say he was terrible. I've seen Peyton Manning make throws off his back foot still. It happens. It's a teachable moment in a PRESEASON game. Better to make those mistakes now than during the regulat season. But, Skins fans and DC sports fans in general, love drama and controversy.

It was funny watching ESPN after the game last night.

Jason Reid started right away... and you would've thought that we lost the game.  Ridiculous.

But I agree... it's tough to come in here after games.  I can't be in here during games anymore.

See the thing is you also don't want him sliding too soon.  It's a no-win situation for Griffin.  If the block comes or if the defender slips, takes a bad angle, etc. you want to leave open the possibility of the great play.  You can't slide five yards before contact and really no one does.

I woulldn't mind him having a better Spidey sense to where he could duck out of bounds or slide about a second sooner on some plays, but I certainly don't want him to play "scared"

I was pretty okay with most of his runs including the two slides... though I wouldn't be upset if Snyder brought in a baseball coach for a daily drill with Griffin just to improve his technique.

I definitely don't want him to play scared, but when he sees the guy turn around to come after him it's about time to get down instead of lowering his shoulder, at least in the preseason.  I have no problem with him trying for extra yards during the regular season.

I definitely don't want him to play scared, but when he sees the guy turn around to come after him it's about time to get down instead of lowering his shoulder, at least in the preseason.  I have no problem with him trying for extra yards during the regular season.

Yup :cheers:

I just think it's a very fine line we're treading here with this criticism.  No one wants him to get hurt.  Everyone (minus a few posters) want him to suceed) and most want to see a great playmaker and exciting football.

However, intelligent risk is important too.  Dumb plays like the interception or an unnecessary hit should be avoided and there is the point where retreat is valorous or at least advantageous.

Question to all, how did everyone feel about our RB play (besides Morris). Who looked the best between Helu, Royster, Redd, & Seastrunk??

Royster is the best RB on the roster not named "Morris".

I don't think it's even debatable.

~Bang

Re: Robert running/sliding/whatever:

My big thing during that time was, I wanted him to run out of the pocket, AND THEN THROW THE BALL.

Now, I have no clue if anybody was OPEN. The tv just zooms in on Robert.

But if he could complete some passes in those situations, they'd chase him a lot less often.

Royster is the best RB on the roster not named "Morris".

I don't think it's even debatable.

~Bang

Yeah, he made a splash last night. The catch and run was nice to see and you know that gives Gruden a woody. The TD showed some power as well. Hard to say exactly but it seemed it wasn't exactly blocked very well because Royster simply powered straight ahead but was met by the (untouched) MLB in the hole. One on one he ploughed him under.

We could be looking at Almo, Helu and Royster again this year with one of the rooks heading to the PS.

My 2 cents...

o Griffin looked okay with what he was asked to do. Terrible decision and throw on the INT. He's gotta learn to get down. Jay has to make this a point of emphasis as much as any other aspect of the playbook or offense. I would've like to see him get more reps and use more straight drop-back and less play-action and bootleg.

o I like all our backs. Wish there was away to keep 5 Morris, Young, Helu, Royster, Seastrunk and Redd PS

o I like all our WRs. Aldrick made a tough catch on a ball thrown high, hard and behind him. Not a catch I would have expected him to make last year. Garcon, DeSean, Roberts +Aldrick, Grant, Moss? Tough. Smell like spread offense to me.

o Reed just has knack for getting open, makes me excited to see the real offense.

o Right side of the starting OL was getting pushed back, but what else is new? Why can't Morgan get some reps at RT? And why can't he or Compton challenge Tyler for the starting RT spot?

o Did Phillip Thomas play? J/k. He was out there but not as visible/active as some of the other S. Right now I would have Clark, Brandon, Rambo (i can't believe it!) , Trenton Robinson all ahead of Thomas. And the only thing that keeps him ahead of Akeem Davis is.....idk what would keep him ahead of Davis?

o Keenan looks like he belongs, Will Compton seems to be his back-up and Hayward behind Riley

o BASHAUD (get someone in your crew to be your weedman) BREELAND is my kind of CB active, fiesty. He's gotta be on the team and you gotta get him on the field.

o Rob Jackson still looks active

Looking forward to the Ravens game, and hoping we add more flava.

...If people want to criticise Griffin lets base it on what happened not what you THINK might have happened or heard on ESPN.

Don't sit up there on your high horse and tell me what actually happended when I've got preconceived notions to spout off about..../sarc

Nice work. Was gonna post mine but it would be pretty much the same.

Archived