Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Browns

NoLeafClover

In a dog fight with the Cleveland Browns and they had no QB kinda scares me..If the Browns would have had a decent QB it looked like it could have been bad..

When score didn't matter, there wasn't a game-plan, and the offense moved the ball consistently all night, but had a few hiccups.  Guess what, it's pre-season.  Second game of pre-season.  I expect a few hiccups when installing a new offense.

The 2 biggest dissapointments for me actually involved Morris: He took his eye off the ball on the pitch, which resulted in a fumble, and then couldn't get in from the 1. That's not his fault, the OL lost.  

But I will say, I'm thrilled they ran it 3 times down there.  Gives the coaches something to look at, and players something to improve on. In a regular season game, they take the 3, and they might go play action on second down, who knows.  But they wanted to work on the goal-line, so they did. 

Can you point to a single specific throw RGIII made yesterday he overthrew?

That's the commentary from last year.  He wasn't high last night.  I thought he was pretty accurate.  Hell, even the INT was accurate.  He hit the DB right in the numbers. :P  

And I might be the ONLY guy who thinks this, but I was actually very happy with the INT. He was late on the read, late on the throw, and the throw was off his back foot.  He will watch that play 100 times, and hopefully he'll learn from it.  Great teaching moment in a game that doesn't count.  

Now, if he makes that play again, or in the regular season, that's going to be disappointing.  

They really need somebody to step up on the right side of the OL to unseat Chester and/or Polumbus.  One or both of those two need to be upgraded, stat.  I actually feel pretty good about the left side.  Lich to Williams is pretty good.  Chester and Polumbus are gonna hinder the passing game as much as Robert.  There's no reason to expect those two to be better than they have been the last couple years in pass pro.  

And I like to be able to be balanced in the run game, but when the first team is in, they lean heavily to the left.  And I get that's where the best players are and most teams are either left or right handed, but it seems to make the playcalling rather obvious.  Interestingly enough, in the second half, they started running right a lot more.  I guess that's behind LeReibus and Compton.

I actually thought the OL held up ok last night against a pretty good DL.  Especially when there really wasn't a game plan, and they weren't setting guys up, etc.  

One one of the sacks of Griffin, pressure came at about 2.6 seconds.  That might have been the worst play for the starting OL.  Trent got pushed around a bit, and Chester and Kory both got beat by the DT, who ended up with the pressure. 

I actually thought Polumbus played ok, I didn't really notice him get completely bum-rushed.  Though I wasn't watching him specifically the entire time. 

Some good some bad .....

1. RGIII generally looked sharp. Showed patience in the pocket, went through progressions and was accurate. I'm sure he would want that throw back on the 3rd and long which was picked - just got to throw that away.

Out of Likes, so I'll just quote and say that was a very good summary.

Overthrowing WRs? Dude was 6/9. One of those was the INT and the other was a drop that hit DJax right in the hands. Not sure what WRs he was overthrowing. Didn't overthrow Roberts on that deep pass to end the 1st Qtr.

Yes he has some work to do. The INT wasn't pretty, but that's an easy fix that he needs to learn to just throw it away in that situation instead of throwing off his back foot and lofting it to the DB.

I thought he was a B- out there.

I was about to offer a similar response, you beat me to it. They actually changed RG3's stat line to 6/8. So the int and the DJax throw were the only misses. There was no overthrow. 

The int was bad. The bomb to Roberts was great. That is what you are going to get with a 3rd year QB. Hopefully the ups outweigh the downs. I will concede that he does not look super comfortable out there, but that should improve with time.   

There seems to be very little objectivity when it comes to grading RG3's performances. You have fans who seem to have made up their mind that RG3 is a bust. You have media that seem to want to stoke the fires of a QB controversy at all costs. And I suppose there are some blind RG3 defenders around though they seem few and far between at this point. 

Overthrowing WRs? Dude was 6/9. One of those was the INT and the other was a drop that hit DJax right in the hands. Not sure what WRs he was overthrowing. Didn't overthrow Roberts on that deep pass to end the 1st Qtr.

Yes he has some work to do. The INT wasn't pretty, but that's an easy fix that he needs to learn to just throw it away in that situation instead of throwing off his back foot and lofting it to the DB.

I thought he was a B- out there.

I give him a solid B.  

Positives:

1. Went through his progressions, and really only missed 2 throws.  1 was the INT, the other I honestly don't remember.  The rest were right on the money.

2. Looked REALLY fast with a great burst when escaping the pocket.

3. Hit a beautiful ball down the sideline to Roberts. Loved to see that.

4. Hit a good checkdown to D. Jax that he dropped.  

Negatives:

1. The INT was a really bad decision, late throw, and off his back leg.  The 3 deadly sins.

2. Decision making when scrambling.  Needs to figure out what to do a beat sooner, and then he'll be fine.

4 positives.  2 negatives.  

B grade.  And I really think that with a game-plan, and a full game, he would have thrown for at least 250, if not more yards (clearly the Browns would be game-planning also).  

Jumping off of Jumbo's JM post lol...

"Last week we saw glimpses of why Johnny Manziel could succeed in the NFL. This week we got smacked in the face with a host of concerns that say he won’t.

Manziel has never been shy about coming forward. A media darling and electrifying college football player, his adjustment to life in the NFL can best be described as bumpy. Off the field shenanigans have garnered more attention than any team would like, but so long as they’re in the realms of legality you can live with it if his play on the field is as hoped.

What you can’t live with is struggling all night long while flipping off the opposing bench because the pressure gets to you. And last night the pressure, in more than one sense of the word, appeared to get to Manziel as he finished with a -4.2 overall grade.

Indeed in what was an open audition for the Cleveland Browns starting quarterback spot, Manziel didn’t so much fluff his lines as throw up over the director before passing out. It was horrible and at times hard to watch.

And let’s be clear, this goes beyond flipping the Washington Redskins bench the bird. This is all about his performance, where he effectively played himself out of any hope of being the opening day starter but for Brian Hoyer looking poor himself. He was inaccurate and made bad decisions with the football all game."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/19/johnny-manziel-in-focus/

^^^^

Chuckle about the Manziel article. 

I think the thing that made me happiest last night is that our defense didn't get punked by Johnny Manziel.  I think that if that had happened, _I_ would have bumped the "Haslett show something" thread and started a rant.  (And bumping that thread is not something I would normally do.)

Jumping off of Jumbo's JM post lol...

"Last week we saw glimpses of why Johnny Manziel could succeed in the NFL. This week we got smacked in the face with a host of concerns that say he won’t.

Manziel has never been shy about coming forward. A media darling and electrifying college football player, his adjustment to life in the NFL can best be described as bumpy. Off the field shenanigans have garnered more attention than any team would like, but so long as they’re in the realms of legality you can live with it if his play on the field is as hoped.

What you can’t live with is struggling all night long while flipping off the opposing bench because the pressure gets to you. And last night the pressure, in more than one sense of the word, appeared to get to Manziel as he finished with a -4.2 overall grade.

Indeed in what was an open audition for the Cleveland Browns starting quarterback spot, Manziel didn’t so much fluff his lines as throw up over the director before passing out. It was horrible and at times hard to watch.

And let’s be clear, this goes beyond flipping the Washington Redskins bench the bird. This is all about his performance, where he effectively played himself out of any hope of being the opening day starter but for Brian Hoyer looking poor himself. He was inaccurate and made bad decisions with the football all game."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/19/johnny-manziel-in-focus/

And if what Ryan Clark said on MIke and Mike this morning was what was said to him, Manziel REALLY needs to grow up.  They (allegedly) pretty much just said the pros at this level are faster than him.  

What does this mean?  When he would make a bad play you'd switch to HGTV in order to calm down?  

No it means I would switch to Soap Opera Network when he starts running full speed making juke moves as 3 guys try to knock him the **** out.

And if what Ryan Clark said on MIke and Mike this morning was what was said to him, Manziel REALLY needs to grow up.  They (allegedly) pretty much just said the pros at this level are faster than him.  

Ryan Clark was on Mike and Mike? Sorry, missed it. What did he say (in brief?)

It was only a preseasopn game don't worry.

Saturday night's game against the Ravens will be for real!

No, Saturday night's game against the Ravens will also be preseason.  :P

I believe it was Garcon he overthrew in the endzone.

Let me help you.

Throw 1. Shotgun. Quick out to Reed - on time on target throw. 5 yard pick up.

Throw 2. Under centre, 3 step drop. Looked left, then over the middle and then back to his right. Reset his feet and hips and found Jackson on a deep comeback for about 20 yards. 

Bubble screen to Garcon for 7 yards is brought back for a holding call.

Throw 3. Under centre. Play action, Gets quick pressure but hits Young in the right flat with a very quick release. Nice yards after the catch for a 9 yard pick up. 

Throw 4. Shotgun. Very quick read and throw on a bang 8 (skinny post) to Reed. Picks up about 12 yards. Agin on time, with very quick release time.

Throw 5. Shotgun. Looks to his left, middle and the short right to Jackson, Get through 3 progressions and gets the ball out quickly to Jackson who makes a man miss and turns a short pass into a 10 yard pick up. Second time he has hit Jackson as the 3rd read.

Throw 6. Shotgun. Looks to his left - looks like a high low read, deep route is covered so comes down to Jackson. Hits him in the hands but its dropped. First incomplete pass.

Throw 7. The one he would like back. Shotgun on 3rd and 14, Gets pressure in his face with a poor blitz pick up. Cant step into the throw and throws late, flat footed and behind Jackson. Interception.

Throw 8. Shotgun. Looks middle of the field and pumps to hold the safety then throws a beautiful deep ball to his left just outside the numbers hitting Roberts who has a step on the DB right in stride for 49 yards.

Throws fade to Garcon left corner of end zone - DB called for holding. incomplete.

Thats it. Every throw. Only two targets of Garcon for the screen that was brought back and fade both plays negated by penalty. The fade was what you are calling an overthrow but it was holding on the DB and RGIII put the ball where Garcon could have got it but the DB had no shot. The only negative pass the whole night was the pick.

If people want to criticise Griffin lets base it on what happened not what you THINK might have happened or heard on ESPN.

Ryan Clark was on Mike and Mike? Sorry, missed it. What did he say (in brief?)

No, Saturday night's game against the Ravens will also be preseason.   :P

Clark really just said they were yelling at Manziel that this isn't college anymore and the guys at this level are faster than him, albeit with more colorful language.  That's when Manziel walked off flipping the bird.  

He may have said other things about other topics, but I didn't catch the entire interview.

Thats it. every throw. Only one target of Garcon for the screen that was brought back. Not a single over throw and the only negative pass the whole night was the pick. If people want to criticise Griffin lets base it on what happened not what you THINK might have happened or heard on ESPN.

But that takes all the fun out of it!  

See, we have an agenda. And when the facts don't support the agenda, we have to make up facts.  

Clark really just said they were yelling at Manziel that this isn't college anymore and the guys at this level are faster than him, albeit with more colorful language.  That's when Manziel walked off flipping the bird.  

He may have said other things about other topics, but I didn't catch the entire interview.

In other words, a colorful "welcome to the league, rook." 

I can live with that.

They seemed to bring a lot of extra pressure for a preseason game against a couple of woefully inferior QBs, I'm not sold on the pass rush last night.  

The extra pressure and 8 man blitz didn't start until shortly after the unsportsman like penalty on Haslett. Of course, that is basically the entire repitore of Haslett adjustments and it worked against a very green rookie. Then again maybe Haslett was pissed off after getting flipped off by Johnny Football and retaliated with the blitz.

FWIW Garçon was also held on that play. Watching Moss take the screen on 3rd and long did make me smile.

Go look a few posts up for a breakdown of every pass play.  There was no overthrow at all.  

Moss's third and long gave me flashbacks to 2005.  :) (Good ones)

The extra pressure and 8 man blitz didn't start until shortly after the unsportsman like penalty on Haslett. Of course, that is basically the entire repitore of Haslett adjustments and it worked against a very green rookie. Then again maybe Haslett was pissed off after getting flipped off by Johnny Football and retaliated with the blitz.

Something I haven't seen discussed much (recently) what did Haslett do to get the personal foul?  Tell the refs that they were out of their freaking mind on some of the penalties?  Because I can live with that in a pre-season game. 

Go look a few posts up for a breakdown of every pass play.  There was no overthrow at all.  

There was a fade to Garcon which was incomplete but it was brought back for a hold on Garcon. It was still not an overthrow though. I missed it in the first draft of the breakdown because it was brought back.

I think it was a little overthrown, but I would not call it a bad pass. Garçon might have been able to make the grab had he not been held,but we will never know.

Something I haven't seen discussed much (recently) what did Haslett do to get the personal foul?  Tell the refs that they were out of their freaking mind on some of the penalties?  Because I can live with that in a pre-season game. 

I would love to know what Gruden says to Haslett after he gets a personal foul penalty.  On the list of unacceptable actions during games, coaches get 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalities has got to be pretty high on the list.  Any coach that gets a penalty during a game should have their you-know-what handed to them after the game.  

Archived