Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins vs Browns

NoLeafClover

Yup :cheers:

I just think it's a very fine line we're treading here with this criticism.  No one wants him to get hurt.  Everyone (minus a few posters) want him to suceed) and most want to see a great playmaker and exciting football.

However, intelligent risk is important too.  Dumb plays like the interception or an unnecessary hit should be avoided and there is the point where retreat is valorous or at least advantageous.

It wasn't meant to be as much a criticism as something I think he should work on a little more (if that makes sense).  I liked what Gruden said about playing within the context of the game, and not feeling like he needs to make a miracle happen every down.  But I think last year may have set him back in that thought process, since our defense couldn't stop anyone, and if he didn't make a play who would?  But I think at the most a few weeks in this season he will realize with all the weapons we have on offense, that if they don't get it this time, they can get it next time, and he doesn't need to dive through three linebackers to get a first down in the middle of a tie game.

Ryan Grant = everything Leonard Hankerson was supposed to be

I'm inclined to agree with that from what little I've seen.

Man, I completely forgot about Hankerson.  How is he doing?  Is he still recovering from his LCL and ACL tear?  I wonder if we'll ever see him again or if he's just another wasted pick.

The Good:

- Chris Baker quietly had a great game battling in the trenches.

- Ryan Kerrigan looked great

- D Line in general had a good game

- IMHO RG III played well, one bad pick, needs to learn to slide. I just feel that he needs more game time to mesh with the new scheme and receivers.

- Santana Moss shredding the Cleveland defense.  I had a flashback to the Dallas Game back in 05

The BAD

-Alfred Morris had a tough day.

- Special Teams giving up a big run back

- Penalties  (was at the Stadium how did we get the flag against the bench)

- Kirk Cousins did not look good the first few series against the browns first team

I really like what Ryan Grant shows. Outstanding hands, good size, excellent move after the catch. Looks like he can contribute right away.

Bye bye Hank.

My thoughts exactly....Hank is gone...maybe Cleveland signs him?

Our WR corp is pretty stacked.....backfield too.

I would love to know what Gruden says to Haslett after he gets a personal foul penalty.  On the list of unacceptable actions during games, coaches get 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalities has got to be pretty high on the list.  Any coach that gets a penalty during a game should have their you-know-what handed to them after the game.  

DVR'd the game and watched that part with the volumn up high.  Sounded like Gruden was the one dropping F-bombs on the refs.  Maybe both of them.

I have to say, my take from the game was definitely that this team has some major issues(but we all knew that).  On the offensive side of the ball, RG3 looked good for the most part, and was pretty accurate.  But he made several poor decisions, two while running, and a third to throw that pick when he should have run.  Great drives require good decisions all the time, and if he doesnt fix that it could be drive killers this year in what could otherwise be a very good offense.

Defensively it was concerning how much yardage and points the browns COULD have had if there werent so many terrible throws and dropped passes.  We didnt really break up passes, we just let them drop it, including what should have been the go ahead touchdown.  We dont get to play the browns 16 games this year, so the defense is really going to need to step it up.  I though the Patriots game was far more positive for the Redskins, and hope they pick it up against the Ravens.

I think there is a tendency to over analyize these pre-season games and make more of them than they deserve.  Looking at the limited and constrained performance of the 1st Team thus far ... you can glean few takeaways that will have impact during the regular season.  Among the few I see are the following:

1.  RG3 is "right now" a limited QB with huge potential to earn his second contract as a Redskin ... but he has to improve his decisiveness and accuracy (and stay in one-piece).

2. Skins have great depth everywhere on offense ... if RG3 stays healty the Team is capable of averaging about 23-24 pts./gm ... good enough to make the playoffs in a weak division.

3.  The Defense is a work in progress ... the Pass Rush and "ability to stop the run" still are questions.  This is the "wild card' that may determine whether we have a truly successful run.  There is only one way for the defense to go in terms of improvement.

He never threw to Garcon...

He threw a pick and his other incompletion was a drop by Helu.

I have to add how disappointed I am in this fanbase.

Griffin looks better than he has since 2012 at any point, and we are nitpicking a couple of coachable plays?

Good lord.

I have to admit that I had some complaints about Griff.  But I don't know if they were justified, or not. 

Specifically, on the busted pass plays, where he ran with the football. 

When he rolled out of the pocket, what I was yelling at the TV for, was for him to roll out of the pocket and throw it

(I confess that one reason why I really wanted that was because I remember last year, on multiple occasions, Cooley flat out announcing that when Griff scrambles out of the pocket, and buys time, that the Redskins receivers don;t have a plan for how to give him a target.  I was really hoping that that supposed coaching deficiency had been fixed.) 

But, like I said, I don't know if my shouting at the TV was justified, because I have no clue if anybody was open.  The TV just zoomed in on Griff. 

Any of the film gurus on here know if I was justified at all? 

Our ones vs their ones... we win that game last night.  That's what I came away with.

Not at all sure I agree with you.

My impression was that, our good drive, we had like 3 plays where we threw incomplete on third and long, but there was a penalty, nowhere near the ball, that gave us a First.

And that I saw a lot of timing problems or dropped passes, from their O, that I really can't credit our D for.

In short, I think we did better than they did. But I don't think our O was as good as the stats indicate. And I don't think our D was as good as the stats indicate.

Not at all sure I agree with you.

My impression was that, our good drive, we had like 3 plays where we threw incomplete on third and long, but there was a penalty, nowhere near the ball, that gave us a First.

And that I saw a lot of timing problems or dropped passes, from their O, that I really can't credit our D for.

In short, I think we did better than they did. But I don't think our O was as good as the stats indicate. And I don't think our D was as good as the stats indicate.

What you want to look for in preseason:

1)  Does he make a check/is it right?

2)  Does he progress through the play?

3)  Does he throw to the correct route?

4)  Does he throw accurately and from the correct platform?

I saw yes' for all of the above on MNF.  He will be fine.  Is he perfect?  Not yet.  But he will be find and he will get better and better every week.

But, like I said, I don't know if my shouting at the TV was justified, because I have no clue if anybody was open.  The TV just zoomed in on Griff. 

He had open guys early AND time on those few plays. He just didn't trust what he was seeing initially and the routes got into the coverage. He showed that he could do that though, just needs reps to get better. That's where I got my encouragement.

On the pick he didn't have anyone, he just needed to sail that bad boy out of the end zone.

Bare in mind, Cleveland has and will have one of the best defenses in the NFL this year.

Bare in mind, Cleveland has and will have one of the best defenses in the NFL this year.

Yeah, I got that impression, too. That looked like a monster DL they had.

(Heck, anybody who can keep DY and AlMo out of the end zone on four plays from the one deserves some major credit. We may not have the best pass protection on the NFL, but there's darned few teams in the NFL who can do that to us.)

Yeah, I got that impression, too. That looked like a monster DL they had.

(Heck, anybody who can keep DY and AlMo out of the end zone on four plays from the one deserves some major credit. We may not have the best pass protection on the NFL, but there's darned few teams in the NFL who can do that to us.)

If you though we looked bad, go watch what they did to Detroit the previous week. 

I watch the Detroit game and felt that we were going to be in for a dog fight.  Pettine is obviously trying to change the "personality" of the team by blitzing a lot on defense and from everywhere.

We handled it very well and Griffin gets high marks from me.  And I'm one of his bigger critics. 

ⒽⓉⓉⓇ ②④-⑦@JsteelznSkinz58 secs

Redskins ST Coach Ben Kotwica gives Robert Malone the Punter spot. Looks to be the man going into the season

Specifically, on the busted pass plays, where he ran with the football. 

When he rolled out of the pocket, what I was yelling at the TV for, was for him to roll out of the pocket and throw it

(I confess that one reason why I really wanted that was because I remember last year, on multiple occasions, Cooley flat out announcing that when Griff scrambles out of the pocket, and buys time, that the Redskins receivers don;t have a plan for how to give him a target.  I was really hoping that that supposed coaching deficiency had been fixed.) 

I don't have all-22 for the pre-season games. So can't say if people were open when he scrambled.

Despite the imho stupid rhetoric about Griffin as a pocket passer I have close to zero concern about Griffin from the pocket. I see no reason to be worried about it.

But his decision making when scrambling? Fugly.

I've always wondered what type of runner/scrambler Griffin would develop into.

A fearless/reckless type like Vick/Locker or cautious and aware like Aaron Rodgers/Russell Wilson?

The jury is still out.

Even IF (i don't know) Griffin lacks the awareness to avoid the big hits like Russell and even Cam (although he doesn't need to) he can still buy into the importance of protecting himself.

It might be asking a lot because a game is a game. But I would have LOVED to see Griffin just chuck the ball out of bonds when he scrambled if it meant that he could avoid contact, its only a preseason game. And that run up the sideline? I would have turned that into a coachable moment and flipped out on him.

Someone needs to create a cut-up off all Griffin's runs/scrambles and compare it to the same for Rodgers, Russell and Cam Newton.

I would change the grading criteria for the QB room and weigh contact at the end scrambles/runs with such a crazy amount of negative weight that it would be impossible to grade out well with even a couple of unnecesary contact plays.

I can't stress enough how strongly I feel about Griffin's decision making in this area and regardless of people's opinion on whether or not its coachable I would do my best to make it coachable and force change in that regard.

Now, on one of Griff's scrambles, there was a RB in front of him. (Think it was Helu.)

And I saw him motion for the guy to get downfield. I sure think what he was trying to say was "Take off downfield, and I'll hit you". But I might be projecting.

(As it happened, the RB did go downfield, but Griff kept the ball, and the guy the RB was blocking, got Griff.)

Archived