Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The state of D.C. sports (poll)

Sticksboi05

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who is D.C.'s most popular athlete after RGIII?

2. 2. Which team is closest to a championship after the Nationals?

I've always thought Baseball and Hockey's seasonal popularity was more of a function of suburban people flocking to games when band wagoning seemed fruitful.

I probably haven't watched the wiz as long as some, started in '99, but it feels weird to know so many historically non wiz fans sprouting up. I'm glad the franchise will grow cause of it, I just hope they stick around should the dark times come around again.

My initial thoughts are they wont, like other area teams. This is a very fickle area, for a variety of reasons. However, with the Redskins demise, we may be seeing a changing of the guard. If the Wizards, Caps, and Nats continue to put up great products and great fan atmospheres, while the Redskins continue to be a ham-fisted clown show, more people will become "die-hard" Caps/Wiz/Nats fans.

Alex Ovechkin, still better in his sport than any of the others are at theirs, lagging behind.

Typical Washington sports fans. Hockey was cool for a couple of seasons and now they've moved on to the next hot thing.

I've said this before but if the Wizards ever get championship level good, they trump every other team besides the Skins.

This is a "Redskins town" but in terms of an actual sport, we're basketball all the way.

I've said this before but if the Wizards ever get championship level good, they trump every other team besides the Skins.

This is a "Redskins town" but in terms of an actual sport, we're basketball all the way.

You might be right about basketball--with 2 NCAA Champions in the area. If the Nationals ever get over that hump as well, and having the summer to themselves, the Redskins could go from being the Crown Jewel, year round, to becoming an after thought...

That's how far they've fallen. As a kid, this thought was unfathomable.

We probably have more "local" guys in basketball then any other sport so I can definitely see that. Definitely a bball town.

I couldn't have just been Kool Aid lol

I picked the Caps cause I knew the Redskins weren't for real. I doubted the Wiz but they are doing real well so I'm happy about that myself.

In fact. I am pretty spot on here. Might have to pat myself on the back.

All I know is that the Redskins are the furthest from a championship. Just went 3-13, new system... they won't even make the playoffs. The kool-aid tastes so sweet though.

I went for Ovechkin by default on player and Caps as a team but the Wiz are mighty close, maybe even ahead of them by a smidge... strange times.

• 8 months later...

I'm not trying to overreact but honestly I think the Capitals are the closest to a championship at this point. The Nationals have a lot to work out with injuries and who is staying / going next year. They have a guy playing at MVP level and are a .500 team. I'd love to be proven wrong but it's the facts at this point.

I'm not trying to overreact but honestly I think the Capitals are the closest to a championship at this point. The Nationals have a lot to work out with injuries and who is staying / going next year. They have a guy playing at MVP level and are a .500 team. I'd love to be proven wrong but it's the facts at this point.

Do you think it's fair to drop the Nationals down behind the Wizards too? If anything, I'm comparing the road the Nationals have to face to get to the WS vs what the Wizards have to face to get to the Finals.

Do you think it's fair to drop the Nationals down behind the Wizards too? If anything, I'm comparing the road the Nationals have to face to get to the WS vs what the Wizards have to face to get to the Finals.

Wizards chances are all on Kevin Durant or another big FA next summer/ This year I don't think they can get past the ECF without making a deadline trade. Cavs are too talented.

Wizards chances are all on Kevin Durant or another big FA next summer/ This year I don't think they can get past the ECF without making a deadline trade. Cavs are too talented.

Yeah, I get that, but I'm just talking about comparing the paths. In the East, let's face it, the only team the Wizards should be too concerned with is the Cavs. All the other teams are beatable. (Not saying they will beat them, I'm just saying that I can see them beating them.)

The NL... Smh. Dodgers and Cardinals... You know the Giants are going to go on a run soon. Then you gotta worry about the other three teams in the Central... And NOW the Mets are giving us the business.

Wizards are closest.  They have a good young core of players and have some depth/talent in a somewhat weak Eastern Conference.  They are the closest honestly.

It's hard to say not living in DC anymore.  I said John Wall, but I can easily see it being Bryce Harper.  

I just don't see how the Capitals are close.  3-5 years ago they were close - and blew their opportunity.  I followed the team and watched those games much closer than I do now, so for all I know they are still solid, but I think their window has closed.

Oh and the Redskins are trash.  I'm sorry, but they are.  They still have a long way to go.  The offensive line and QB situation is one of the worst in the league, and the secondary is going to get torched this season.

I think the Caps have a shot with Ovie, Backstrom, Oshie, Kuznetsov, and Holtby.  That's just as good as anyone in the east. 

I still have hope that KD comes our way.  That would make the Wiz an instant contender.

Redskins aren't going to get there with RG3/Cousins/Colt at the helm, not until they start turning their defense into something epic.

Nats are screwed up for some reason.

Can one of our DC sports teams please have at least 2 good playoff seasons in a row? I mean, except for the Wizards. Seems like the capitals, skins and nats are good for a season, make the playoffs, then go back to another losing season. What is up with that?

Caps have only missed the playoffs once in the last 8 seasons (curse you, Adam Oates!)

The premise of the poll is flawed. You're polling a tiny sample of DC sports fans on a Redskins forum about who they think is the most popular DC athlete, excluding one. If you actually want to poll this information, then you would probably word the question something like, "Who is your favorite current athlete playing for one of DC's pro teams?" And then you'd have to poll a much larger and more random sample of DC sports fans. And that poll would also tell you if RGIII is even the most popular.

On this website, I think a better poll question would be:

Who is DC's best athlete?

And then, for the second question, you're going to get a lot of issues by asking who is the closest to a ring. What I would probably first ask is, "Which is DC's best team?" That's the information you probably want: the perception of which is our best team.

As for the current state of D.C. Sports:

The Nats: clearly done this season. They didn't have the magic this year, and it started with all of the early injuries. They aren't as good as the Wizards are right now. But in any given season moving forward, they are DC's best team and probably do have the best shot at a title. Baseball is funny. But they're the best organization in the city and the team has a lot of high end talent.

I took some flak for saying in the most popular DC athlete thread that, while Ovie was obviously much more accomplished, I thought Harper was the most talented athlete in the city. Now I look smart for saying that. I think Harper is the most talented athlete in DC sports history, and now he'll probably be in the running for MVP every healthy season for the next ten years. Hopefully he stays in DC.

Scherzer and Strasburg are also on the short list of DC's biggest talents. Rendon probably makes a top ten cut too. And Giolito might be on the list in three years or so.

The Caps: I haven't followed hockey since I was a kid, so I don't know much about the Caps or the NHL. But they're clearly a solid organization, steady playoff contenders, and have some elite talent. Hockey is funny too. It's like baseball in that you've got to have the magic to have a successful postseason, and some years you have it, some years you don't. I think they're probably DC's third best team moving forward, but this season, I think they'll be better than the Nats were.

I think Ovie is the second biggest talent in DC sports history, DC's most individually accomplished athlete since WWII, and the current best player at his sport.

The Redskins: The worst organization in the city. By far. Abominably bad ownership. But management might have taken a quantum leap forward with the McCloughan hire. It pushed Bruce Allen back into the role of Team President/CEO, the only role that is appropriate for him. And Gruden got some help on the coaching staff, which he desperately needed. He and Allen were in so far over their heads last season...

Whether or not this organization truly turns the corner will depend on whether or not all of those guys are still in their same positions four or five years from now. If so, then we might have something good and sustainable for a change. If not, it will be more of the same: constant turnover of players and staff, annual last place finishes.

As for the team this year, they should be much better and more competitive. The roster is better. The offensive line got a massive infusion of talent and I think the defense will actually be good. And I think RGIII will be steady. I think the run game and run defense will be good enough to get us to 8 wins or so. Not great, but if McCloughan strings together another couple of great draft classes, then the Redskins will be in legitimate SB contention in like four years.

As for biggest talents, I think RGIII would make the cut of the top five biggest talents, even though the stability and production hasn't been there the past two seasons. He's gotten a ****ing raw deal by this team, coaching staff, and fan base. And I think Trent Williams would make the cut of the top ten.

The Wizards: Best current team in DC, and will probably give us the best season this year. The NBA is far more stable and predictable than the other leagues on a year to year basis. Unless they get killed by a Wall injury, the Wizards will probably finish top three in the conference and probably make the conference finals. They should have made the conference finals last season, but Wall broke his hand and it essentially lost them the ATL series.

They are unlikely to beat Cleveland, but Cleveland is really the only team in their way. And all it would take is a LeBron injuy, in which case they would destroy Cleveland. But they still wouldn't beat Golden State, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, or the Clippers in a Finals match up, and they would have trouble beating Houston or Memphis too.

I disagree that they need Durant to legitimately contend for championships though. It's a mistake to think the team with the best player beats the best team. Otherwise Cleveland would have beaten Golden State and Miami would have beaten San Antonio the year before. The Wizards will become legit contenders simply by having Beal, Porter, and Oubre reach their potential. Getting Durant on top of that would be a paradigm shift. They'd be annual title favorites and almost certainly win multiple rings. They'd be dynastically good, and miles ahead of any of the other teams in the city.

As for biggest talent in the city, Wall is third behind Harper and Ovie, and Beal would probably make the top ten.

We need a hero that will turn the sports in this city around.

Take Boston for example. They didn't win anything for a while. Then they luck into Brady, win the Super Bowl in 2001, and every other team in the city start winning.

Or San Fran. They get rookie Buster Posey in 2010 who wins ROTY and they go on to win the whole thing. And again in 2012 and 2014. Warriors also win, and 49ers get to the Super Bowl.

So who's gonna be D.C.'s hero? Is he even in the city right now? Maybe Durant is the catalyst next year? Or someone in the Nats farm system like Lucas Giolito? If the Wiz made a deeper run last year and it sparked a title in the near future, one could argue Paul Pierce. But I think it's gotta be a young guy that can be the face of winning for the next generation.

Archived