Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com: No need to worry yet about Foles

Of course it is. If the only way Foles can "look the same way he did last year" to Redskins fans is to top that ridiculous standard, of course he won't. But that's not what Eagles fans mean or expect when we expect Foles to "look the same way he did last year." We expect him to be as good or even better in terms of decision making, accuracy, and pocket presence, while taking fewer sacks, than he was last year now that he has a year of experience in the Kelly/Eagles offense.

So basically you say Redskins fans pointing out that Foles can't possibly repeat last season is obvious, because he won't "top that ridiculous standard".  Then, you say Eagles fans aren't expecting that, they're expecting him to be better than he was last year in every way. 

Hmmm...

I don't think you're looking at this clearly.  I agree with the part about Foles not being able to repeat or top his mark last year.  That was the whole point of the "he can't repeat his performance last season" argument, and you both rolled your eyes at's ridiculousness and then you repeated the argument against it saying that that is exactly what Eagles fans expect?

You're cementing our view of Eagles fans as overly deluded football fans who lack sense.  I'm not saying you ARE that way, but your statement does seem to support that view.  I mean, if his decision making, accuracy, pocket presence, and sack numbers are improved, wouldn't you expect him to have relatively close or better statistics?  Are you saying you're perfectly okay if all those things seem better but he throws 10 less TDs and 10 more INTs and you lose more games this season?

Having backups do well against starters is not shocking. I remember our backups regularly playing well vs. opposing starters last preseason. Starters tend to not play as hard in the preseason while backups are busting their butts trying to make the team. Hell last week the Browns had starting WR Josh Gordon getting shut down by our JV Defense.

Foles numbers will always look good for the most part regardless of how well or poorly he actually played. The design of that Offense plus the personnel makes it easy to pad stats. Short, Easy Passes and because of the play design a bunch of yards after catch. I saw him miss several wide open receivers but then he throws a 5 or 6 yard perfectly executed screen to get an easy completion for good yards and a TD. Sanchez could be the starter and put up the same numbers.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to avoid breaking the rule against double posting while responding to your comments. So again, apologies.

At this point I am just wondering if there's something wrong with the drinking "wooder" in Philly.

How do you become so obsessed with a coach that you follow him from college to the pros and preach his gospel on message boards?

Not obsessed, just entertained. Football is entertainment, not a religion, and Chip Kelly is very skilled at creating football that is extremely entertaining to watch.

And I'm not the only Oregon fan who is following Chip's NFL career. There are many of us who were interested and excited to see if his success would continue in the NFL, and it has. There is a web site that was created by fans while Chip was at Oregon that is dedicated to analyzing how Chip's football strategies worked

http://fishduck.com/playbook/ (check it out, there is actually a lot of interesting information there for any true football fan)

and they have continued to publish articles about the evolution of Chip's philosophies in the NFL.

Books are already being written about Chip Kelly's offense

41e75NHpF%2BL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Kills-Breaking-Kelly-Offense/dp/1497566576/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408723718&sr=8-1

and coaching philosophy.

19237306.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Chip-Kelly-Americas-Innovative/dp/1626812268/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408723721&sr=8-1

And as I mentioned earlier, national writers are recognizing how special Chip Kelly is:

The Influencer

Eagles Report: The Genius of Chip Kelly

30 Yards and a Cloud of Dust

SiriusXM's Ross Tucker and 6-time NFL Executive of the Year Bill Polian interviewed Chip Kelly for SiriusXM. Polian was intrigued and fascinated with how Chip runs his program. It's a good listen for any football fan, beginning at the 4:25 mark.

http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=583&pid=425691

By the way, I've looked and looked, but I just can't find any equivalent web sites or books or national articles that analyze Jay Gruden's coaching philosophies. Maybe you guys could provide some links? Thanks. ;)

Chip's legacy at Oregon is having better athletes than the competition,

Incorrect. Several of Oregon's PAC-12 rivals routinely had higher-ranked recruiting classes than Oregon. Chip Kelly had a top 10-ranked recruiting class only once while he was at Oregon.

2009: #4 USC, #14 UCLA, #20 Stanford, #30 Arizona State, #32 Oregon

2010: #1 USC, #8 UCLA, #11 Cal, #13 Oregon, #26 Stanford

2011: #4 USC, #9 Oregon, #17 Cal, #22 Stanford

2012: #5 Stanford, #8 USC, #13 UCLA, #16 Oregon, #21 Washington

There were more players in the NFL from USC and Cal than from Oregon in 2013.

Chip Kelly was (is) able to beat teams that had (have) more talent.

rules violations,

After a two year investigation, the NCAA found that Chip Kelly didn't violate any rules, but he "failed in his duty to monitor his program as it related to the recruiting service provider's impermissible contact with prospective student-athletes, the football program's use of the recruiting service provider's business which did not comply with NCAA legislation, and the impermissible telephone calls placed by the former assistant director of operations." The infractions were so meh that the NCAA removed only one scholarship, there was no bowl ban, and any college that wanted to hire Chip Kelly before Dec. 25, 2014 would have to clear it with the NCAA. After this Christmas there are no restrictions. Somehow I think Chip will have other things on his mind this Christmas. ;)

and losing big games. Actually, steamrolling bad teams and losing the 1-2 games that matter each year sounds a lot like the Eagles. I guess I do understand why you love him so much.

Chip Kelly made it to the post-season (a top-level BCS bowl game) every year he was head coach at Oregon. Counting last year, Chip has made it into the post-season every year as a head coach, and he has had a winning record in 5 out of 5 years as a head coach in college and the NFL.

Oregon lost the Rose Bowl his first year, lost the National Championship on a fluke play and last-second field goal against Cam Newton and Auburn, then won the Rose Bowl against Russell Wilson and Wisconsin, and won the Fiesta Bowl in his last year at Oregon. So Chip is 2-3 in the post-season as a head coach in college and the NFL.

Be honest: how many hours have you spent viewing that disgusting GIF of Chip licking his lips?

If you think that one was bad, have you seen this one (beginning at 2:01)? :lol:

Face it, there are a lot of people who are interested in Chip Kelly, even if you aren't.

So what you're saying is that you agree that Foles is an overrated product of Kelly's system? Or that the Steelers suck now?

Wow, Straw Man fallacies appear to be a specialty around here. But it might be true that the Steelers suck.

You're cementing our view prejudice and stereotyping and wishful thinking of Eagles fans as overly deluded football fans who lack sense.

Fixed your post. ;)

Foles numbers will always look good for the most part regardless of how well or poorly he actually played. The design of that Offense plus the personnel makes it easy to pad stats. Short, Easy Passes and because of the play design a bunch of yards after catch.

Another misconception. You guys are very lucky I'm here to correct all this misinformation.

Nick Foles' arm strength is one of his attributes that repeatedly gets criticized by skeptics that the second-year quarterback is incapable of assuming the mantle of the Eagles' franchise quarterback, but perhaps that perception is about to change.

Many of Foles' critics insist that Foles' historic 29 touchdowns-to-two interception ratio this season was a product of Chip Kelly's system and Foles reluctance to throw the ball down field and take chances.

However, that criticism is no longer valid.

According to Pro Football Focus No quarterback in the NFL posted more completions of 20 yards or longer than Foles, who finished the season with 17.4 percent of his passes traveling that distance.

What is perhaps most impressive and enlightening about this statistic is the fact that it does not take into account yards after the catch, which means that any production on screen passes or short-to-intermediate routes do not impact average.

Additionally, Foles' accuracy on deep passes ranks seventh in the league at 45.5 percent, which is ahead of the likes of Philip Rivers, Tony romoSUCKS, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Andrew Luck. He even completed 14 of his 29 touchdowns this season on passes of 20 or more, which ranks behind only Brees and Andy Dalton who are tied with 15.

http://www.eagledelphia.com/2014/01/nick-foles-finishes-season-with-most-deep-completions-.html

Good post ODF, and I mean that sincerely. Around the NFL was great at its peak and I'd like to see it get back to that. 

Books are already being written about Chip Kelly's offense

and coaching philosophy.

And as I mentioned earlier, national writers are recognizing how special Chip Kelly is:

SiriusXM's Ross Tucker and 6-time NFL Executive of the Year Bill Polian interviewed Chip Kelly for SiriusXM. Polian was intrigued and fascinated with how Chip runs his program. It's a good listen for any football fan, beginning at the 4:25 mark.

By the way, I've looked and looked, but I just can't find any equivalent web sites or books or national articles that analyze Jay Gruden's coaching philosophies. Maybe you guys could provide some links? Thanks. ;)

I should start by saying I think Chip is a good coach, and is positioned for NFL success currently. I'm just not ready to anoint him the brain child of Lombardi and Belichick or something. The media you're pointing to, lavish in its praise when things look good, was crushing him after they lost to Reid and the Chiefs. You could have elected RG3 president here in 2012, now the media here is absolutely begging RG3 to say anything at all that they can distort to sound selfish. 

Point being...you guys want to crown Chip, and the sane part of the world recognizes that beating Kyle Orton by 2 to win a terrible division, while a good start, is not the monumental achievement you're representing. Westbrook36 crowned him after ONE GAME. This is what Eagles fans do, and "Dream Team" is so close to the present that it seems ridiculous you guys are starting this BS again. Dream Team also won a bad division at 10-6, lost the WC game, and surely had a bunch of media guys singing their praises. It's like the history doesn't even have to be 'history' yet for it to repeat itself...

Incorrect. Several of Oregon's PAC-12 rivals routinely had higher-ranked recruiting classes than Oregon. Chip Kelly had a top 10-ranked recruiting class only once while he was at Oregon.

After a two year investigation, the NCAA found that Chip Kelly didn't violate any rules, but he "failed in his duty to monitor his program as it related to the recruiting service provider's impermissible contact with prospective student-athletes, the football program's use of the recruiting service provider's business which did not comply with NCAA legislation, and the impermissible telephone calls placed by the former assistant director of operations." The infractions were so meh that the NCAA removed only one scholarship, there was no bowl ban, and any college that wanted to hire Chip Kelly before Dec. 25, 2014 would have to clear it with the NCAA. After this Christmas there are no restrictions. Somehow I think Chip will have other things on his mind this Christmas. ;)

Chip Kelly made it to the post-season (a top-level BCS bowl game) every year he was head coach at Oregon. Counting last year, Chip has made it into the post-season every year as a head coach, and he has had a winning record in 5 out of 5 years as a head coach in college and the NFL.

Oregon lost the Rose Bowl his first year, lost the National Championship on a fluke play and last-second field goal against Cam Newton and Auburn, then won the Rose Bowl against Russell Wilson and Wisconsin, and won the Fiesta Bowl in his last year at Oregon. So Chip is 2-3 in the post-season as a head coach in college and the NFL.

A good point on his recruiting classes relative to the PAC 10. I am more alluding to the concept that his excellent W-L record is built on the back of beating teams like Wash St. 52-6, but it's an advantage the other 'power' teams in the conference have as well. So if we get real about it, his real competition is simply USC and Stanford, as none of the other PAC 10 teams were any good IMO during Chip's time there. I'd throw in any strong out of conference teams as well: 

2009: Loss to Boise State, Win vs USC (9-4 that year), Loss to Stanford (8-5), Rose Bowl loss.

2010: Win vs Stanford (12-1), Win vs USC (8-5), NCG loss.

2011: Loss to LSU (12-1), Win vs Stanford (11-2), Loss to USC (10-2), Rose Bowl win.
2012: Win vs USC (7-6), Loss to Stanford (12-2), Fiesta Bowl win. 

So in games where you don't outclass the competition by stepping on the field, Chip is 7-7. It's not exactly a secret that Oregon appeared to "blow it" at some point every year he was there, because everybody assumes a team is great when they blow out bad teams. As such Oregon was "shocked" every year as opposed to simply batting about .500 against their real competition. Feel free to add some game where he blew out a bad Arizona team ranked #20 or whatever to change the 7-7 record, but I think you get what I'm saying. 

ODF is approaching trolling status with his "digs" at the Redskins. Putting smiley faces after doesn't make it in any less trollish. He's one "dig" away from getting reported.

I don't mind good debate as most of his posts are fine, but he forgets where he is at with things like, "I don't remember reading any of Jay Gruden's coaching philosophies".

My suggestion is to stick to the facts and you'll last a lot longer around here. And even if you don't think it's true, you are "obsessed" with Chip Kelly. It's kind of creepy.

ODF is approaching trolling status with his "digs" at the Redskins. Putting smiley faces after doesn't make it in any less trollish. He's one "dig" away from getting reported.

I don't mind good debate as most of his posts are fine, but he forgets where he is at with things like, "I don't remember reading any of Jay Gruden's coaching philosophies".

My suggestion is to stick to the facts and you'll last a lot longer around here. And even if you don't think it's true, you are "obsessed" with Chip Kelly. It's kind of creepy.

It sounds to me like you only want a one-sided debate, and if you don't get it you're going to put him in his place.

If everyone agreed in a debate it would be pretty boring wouldn't it? 

It sounds to me like you only want a one-sided debate, and if you don't get it you're going to put him in his place.

If everyone agreed in a debate it would be pretty boring wouldn't it? 

Not at all.  I like a good debate.  Re-read what I posted.  I gave him credit for the debate and the information that he brings, but in each of his posts, he has to "insert" a trollish comment and puts a smiley face beside it, thinking that would lessen what he said. 

See below in red.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to avoid breaking the rule against double posting while responding to your comments. So again, apologies.

Not obsessed, just entertained. Football is entertainment, not a religion, and Chip Kelly is very skilled at creating football that is extremely entertaining to watch.

And I'm not the only Oregon fan who is following Chip's NFL career. There are many of us who were interested and excited to see if his success would continue in the NFL, and it has. There is a web site that was created by fans while Chip was at Oregon that is dedicated to analyzing how Chip's football strategies worked

If you think that one was bad, have you seen this one (beginning at 2:01)? :lol:

Face it, there are a lot of people who are interested in Chip Kelly, even if you aren't.

Wow, Straw Man fallacies appear to be a specialty around here. But it might be true that the Steelers suck.

Fixed your post. ;)

Another misconception. You guys are very lucky I'm here to correct all this misinformation.

See, I have no problem with the whole post. Very intelligent and thought out rebuttals.  But the piece in red is what he puts in every post to get his "digs" in at Redskin fans.

Making threats doesn't really create a welcoming atmosphere. :unsure:

From To Fans of Opposing Teams by TK:

Do enjoy your time here---we welcome well-behaved rival fans and enjoy other perspectives in the form of solid football discussion, along with the typical banter expected in such venues as long as it is within our Forum Rules.

My comment was meant as light-hearted banter, similar to this

It you'd get your head out of Chip Kelly's keister every once in a while and come up into the real world,...

hence the smiley. I didn't intend it as a "dig". If I have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending you, it just isn't worth my time to contribute here. And even you admit that I make contributions.

Just viewed this. "Thanks for the link" is probably not the right phrase here but that was interesting. He's always innovating even when it comes to headsets  :D

My comment was meant as light-hearted banter, hence the smiley. I didn't intend it as a "dig". If I have to walk on eggshells to avoid offending you, it just isn't worth my time to contribute here.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!  :)

I'm afraid that Chip Kelly just might be the next great NFL Head Coach. His innovation plus the direction the NFL is going with speed and spread offenses could mean a long run of success for Philly. And their FO has always drafted well.

Not sure if serious....:)

But if you are...that last sentence is untrue.  Brandon Graham, the Fireman, Kolb, every linebacker they've ever drafted.

And I'm an eagles fan.

This thread is so extremeskins, I can't even take it.  Skins fans make thread about interceptions in 1st preseason game where Foles is playing without his two starting star WRs.  In 3rd dress rehearsal game, Foles is, well, Foles, throws for a billion yards in a half and decimates the proud Steelers Defense and Skins fans are running for the hills, trying to explain it all away.  Carry on, gents.

Not sure if serious.... :)

But if you are...that last sentence is untrue.  Brandon Graham, the Fireman, Kolb, every linebacker they've ever drafted.

And I'm an eagles fan.

Andy Reid for the most part stunk as a talent evaluator, especially the early rounds where his input was involved.

They did better when he let the talent evaluators make the calls in the later rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

So since everyone wanted to bash Foles ...... seems he did pretty good about not blaming a crap online since his was missing 3 starters  and came back from a 17-0 1st half disaster. No one expects 2 ints all year but this will be his 1st year coming in as a starter so I can only see him growing . he is what now 10-2  as a starter ? I think the kid is something any team would want ..... remember everyone said he would never do good in a chip Kelley offense and that its tailored for Vick .  People wanted that dynamic style instead of a pocket passer ...... didnt take long for Vick to be done .   I think I smell something similar in Wash . Do you guys really want to compare Preseason games and even open day game ?

Archived