Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com: No need to worry yet about Foles

So since everyone wanted to bash Foles ...... seems he did pretty good about not blaming a crap online since his was missing 3 starters  and came back from a 17-0 1st half disaster. No one expects 2 ints all year but this will be his 1st year coming in as a starter so I can only see him growing . he is what now 10-2  as a starter ? I think the kid is something any team would want ..... remember everyone said he would never do good in a chip Kelley offense and that its tailored for Vick .  People wanted that dynamic style instead of a pocket passer ...... didnt take long for Vick to be done .   I think I smell something similar in Wash . Do you guys really want to compare Preseason games and even open day game ?

He was very slow in making decisions, and also was very inaccurate on some of his throws in both halves.  I need to see him making quicker decisions, getting rid of the ball faster, stop taking sacks and show that he can command the field, which I still don't feel he can yet. 

So since everyone wanted to bash Foles ...... seems he did pretty good about not blaming a crap online since his was missing 3 starters  and came back from a 17-0 1st half disaster. No one expects 2 ints all year but this will be his 1st year coming in as a starter so I can only see him growing . he is what now 10-2  as a starter ? I think the kid is something any team would want ..... remember everyone said he would never do good in a chip Kelley offense and that its tailored for Vick .  People wanted that dynamic style instead of a pocket passer ...... didnt take long for Vick to be done .   I think I smell something similar in Wash . Do you guys really want to compare Preseason games and even open day game ?

In the first half Foles was 12-23 for 139 yards and three turnovers (2 fumbles, 1 INT).

I'm not as positive as you that the 34 points in the 2nd half means nobody needs to worry about how Foles played in the 1st half anymore.

In the first half Foles was 12-23 for 139 yards and three turnovers (2 fumbles, 1 INT).

I'm not as positive as you that the 34 points in the 2nd half means nobody needs to worry about how Foles played in the 1st half anymore.

I think the most important stat you left out was 5 sacks in the first half. Completing 71% of his passes thereafter, avoiding sacks, turnovers, and throwing a couple touchdowns went a long way in securing a comeback win, and putting non-Vick fans minds at ease at least for another week.

The biggest talking point should be about the O Line. After a year where all the O lineman stayed healthy they have 4 down or out.

I think the most important stat you left out was 5 sacks in the first half. Completing 71% of his passes thereafter, avoiding sacks, turnovers, and throwing a couple touchdowns went a long way in securing a comeback win, and putting non-Vick fans minds at ease at least for another week.

The biggest talking point should be about the O Line. After a year where all the O lineman stayed healthy they have 4 down or out.

Here's a review of Foles' performance according to NFL.com:

The box score can lie, and Foles' Week 1 effort is the perfect example. Foles wound up with 322 yards, two scores, and one pick on a day where the Eagles scored 34 points. But Foles never fully bounced back from the worst half of football we saw any quarterback play in Week 1.

Foles held on to the ball forever on snap after snap. His indecision and pump fakes made the Eagles offense look out of synch even though there were open receivers everywhere. He wasn't close on a number of throws, and just didn't see a ton of open options. Chip Kelly's ability to create defensive confusion and wide open spaces on the field ultimately saved Foles.

Quote the whole thing why don't you, instead of making selective edits. ;)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000392566/article/qb-index-nick-foles-tony-romo-off-to-slow-starts

The box score can lie, and Foles' Week 1 effort is the perfect example. Foles wound up with 322 yards, two scores, and one pick on a day where the Eagles scored 34 points. But Foles never fully bounced back from the worst half of football we saw any quarterback play in Week 1.

Foles held on to the ball forever on snap after snap. His indecision and pump fakes made the Eagles offense look out of synch even though there were open receivers everywhere. He wasn't close on a number of throws, and just didn't see a ton of open options. Chip Kelly's ability to create defensive confusion and wide open spaces on the field ultimately saved Foles.

The Eagles comeback wasn't about Foles. He made a few nice throws in the second half, but still had an erratic 30 minutes after halftime. Philadelphia scored because of their running game, defense, and defensive blown coverages that any quarterback could have victimized. Perhaps that's the key takeaway: Kelly has provided a support system for Foles that every NFL quarterback can be jealous of. It can overcome a meltdown.

Foles had a similarly disastrous game against Dallas last season, and bounced back from it quickly. [He threw an NFL record-tying 7 touchdown passes in his next game.]  We'll be fascinated to see whether he does so this year. The Eagles don't face many top defenses early in the year, but they are dealing with a raft of losses on the offensive line. Four of their top seven players are unavailable for Week 2.

Our faith in Kelly is so complete that we assume he'll coach his way out of this dilemma. But Foles has dropped breadcrumbs of concern dating back to the preseason. Tracking his post-honeymoon season will be one of our early storylines to watch in the QB Index all season year.

And here's what the same article said about RGIII:

4. Robert Griffin III: Griffin wasn't poor throwing the ball against Houston. He just barely made an impact. 29 of his 37 throws were under ten yards, with the vast majority of those throws within five yards of the line of scrimmage. He held the ball too long often and reacted poorly to blitzes, which is probably why the Redskins tried to keep things simple. The team's only touchdown drive came from the running game. It wasn't a terrible performance, but it's not a good sign when Jay Gruden's offense turns DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon into bores.

Quote the whole thing why don't you, instead of making selective edits. ;)

"Selective edits"?...What exactly did I leave out that contradicts anything that I quoted?

The first thing you bolded--guess what--I included it in my previous post lol. So you're not pointing out something new.

The second and third things you bolded--guess what--they talk about Chip Kelly, NOT about Nick Foles lol. My post was about--yep--Foles. My comment was about--you got it--whether or not anyone should be worried about FOLES. Nothing you posted and put in bold negates what I was saying about not being ready to blow off Foles' crappy 1st half as irrelevant. Saying Kelly is so good a coach he can survive Foles' ****ty QB play is hardly a ringing endorsement for Foles.

And here's what the same article said about RGIII:

Yeah, I know...here's the thread I started yesterday on the article:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/382107-nflcom-qb-index-nick-foles-tony-romosucks-off-to-slow-starts-nfce-qb-mentions/

It's about 7 threads down from this one. You're not pointing out anything of value or that I didn't already point out myself awhile ago.

"Selective edits"?...What exactly did I leave out that contradicts anything that I quoted?

Not necessarily contradicts, but gives a more complete picture.

Foles had a similarly disastrous game against Dallas last season, and bounced back from it quickly.

We've seen this before with Foles. He played poorly against Dallas, then had a record-tying performance against Oakland. Ineffective in the first half of the Snow Bowl against Detroit - even threw his first interception of the two he threw last year - then came alive in the second half. He was weak in the first half against the Saints, and much better in the second half. Shaky in the first preseason game this year, then much better against the Steelers.

Foles has had only 17 regular season and playoff starts in his career. He is essentially just starting his 2nd year as a starting QB. Uneven performances are to be expected.

I don't think that any person in their right mind can deny that Foles had a pretty terrible game.  Even in the 2nd half, he was less than great.

Look at both the the touchdown throw to Ertz, and to a wide open Maclin.  Both of those throws were pretty crappy, albeit successful.

Foles has had a couple of horrid games in the past - last year against both the Vikings and Cowboys come to mind.  But he has also shown a remarkable ability to right his wrongs in subsequent games.

I think he can be a pretty good, but maybe not great QB.

Sanchez, on the other hand...

I think he can be a GREAT quarterback in this system - not to start any QB controversy, though...

Not necessarily contradicts, but gives a more complete picture.

We've seen this before with Foles. He played poorly against Dallas, then had a record-tying performance against Oakland. Ineffective in the first half of the Snow Bowl against Detroit - even threw his first interception of the two he threw last year - then came alive in the second half. He was weak in the first half against the Saints, and much better in the second half. Shaky in the first preseason game this year, then much better against the Steelers.

Foles has had only 17 regular season and playoff starts in his career. He is essentially just starting his 2nd year as a starting QB. Uneven performances are to be expected.

These aren't just "uneven" performances by Foles...they're schizophrenic lol. So much so tht they may ultimately prove to be something to have concern over. Which, interestingly enough, was my point. ;)

I guess it depends on who's review you read. The first half was bad, and some people just have a hard time separating the two half's. That's what stats, and results are for.

Foles first half average release was 3.01 sec. In the second it was 2.75 sec.. That's not Mike Vick/Russell Wilson bad, but it certainly needs improvement. It's about where I would expect it from a guy that's only started 18 NFL games.

I watch a lot of football and see a lot of bad quarterbacking each week, maybe that's why having a bad quarter, half, game, from time to time, doesn't affect my ability to see the positives. Being an Eagles fan after watching Donovan McNabb, and Mike Vick struggling to complete 55% of their passes Foles career 60+ looks really good.

So since everyone wanted to bash Foles ......

This is the third thread I've seen you post once in and run away.  You're a drive by poster, which is generally meant to incite rancor, but when you're not here to respond to others, it doesn't work.  Good luck hiding behind a rock while people criticize your opinion, because it's obvious you can't take it.  At least, you're never around to respond.  So, after the Eagles lose to the Colts, I'm fairly certain you'll be canceling your internet subscription just in case we tell you your team sucks.

In comparison, we have some great posters who like to argue (and defend a deplorable team from an even worse city that breeds evil and smells like poop), but they're more than welcome on ES, IMO.  Westbrook36 has been here for years and holds his own.  ODF at least defends his position and is generally light hearted.  Both of these guys have my respect and have shown the characteristic fortitude of a fan who is both passionate about his team, while not being a total *****.  You'd do well to learn from them.

Anyway, Foles looked terrible in the first half, but he wasn't missing his 2 "star" receivers then, AND they were playing one of the worst teams in football from last season.  He looked awful.  So, by last years' standards, he isn't going to have as good a year this season.  Sadly, that doesn't seem to matter yet this season.  Hopefully we'll see the fruits of his indecision and poor play this coming week.

Hey Green, looks like our team is pounding Jacksonville for 4 quarters, not just 2, and our backup QB looks better than your starter.  

What were saying

dont forget Foles was our Back up last year . This is his first year to begin season as a starter . After a record breaking game against the Dolts   :D 2-0  cant wait till next week  for some birds skins action .

Foles better get his act together, and fast. He was horrible again tonight.

It's funny the difference a name on a jersey makes. If Foles and Luck switched jerseys we'd be hearing how great he was all week, but since the name was Foles he was terrible. Meanwhile Luck plays a pretty bad game averaging less than 4 yards per pass into the third quarter with less than 80 yards passing, and a crunch time choke. Yet you still hear how great he played.

That's the life of a third round pick.  

It's funny the difference a name on a jersey makes. If Foles and Luck switched jerseys we'd be hearing how great he was all week, but since the name was Foles he was terrible. Meanwhile Luck plays a pretty bad game averaging less than 4 yards per pass into the third quarter with less than 80 yards passing, and a crunch time choke. Yet you still hear how great he played.

That's the life of a third round pick.  

Foles did not play well. Luck did not play well, typically Luck stat line yet he keeps getting praised. Makes no sense to me. Although I guess this time Luck did at least throw more TDs then INTs. For his career he has completed 57 percent of his passes. I will admit he played better last year, but it seems like the media is so invested in him being great. If any other QB had his production they wouldnt get as much hype.

I'll give it to the Eagles, as much as I hate them.  No matter how terrible their team looks, they still keep winning.  I don't think that's what great teams do, I think that's what teams do until they run up against a great team and get destroyed, but they are winning nonetheless.

Archived