Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philly.com: No need to worry yet about Foles

I'm not saying the Eagles' corners are great, because clearly they aren't - worst pass defense in 2013, Bradley Fletcher dropping an easy interception in the end zone against the Colts, leading to Jimmy Kempski giving him the Cinderblock Hands Award

but I think the Redskins shutting down of Hurns had more to do with Chad Henne being sacked 10 times rather than great DB play. It's hard to throw to Hurns or anyone else when you're on your back. ^_^

They had some film review on ESPN and WP, and I think it was pretty close to 5 of them being considered coverage sacks.  It was a balance of good coverage and good rush supposedly when you watch the film.

I actually think Hall, Amerson, and Clark can shut down the receivers, especially with the Philly OL being hurt in spots and our pass rush being good.  I'd put Merriweather in the box and have him shadow McCoy or Sproles, with Robinson as the secondary shadow if both RBs are in the game, or cover the TE.

The Philly offense is spreading people out wide now, not deep (without Jackson's speed at WR), so that sideline to sideline speed is important, and Robinson has that.  That's why, if you look at Fole's completions they're mostly short passes.

I'd also have our Nickel in most of the time, with Hatcher, Baker, Orakpo, and Kerrigan rushing.  That still leaves Riley and Murphy (possibly as a 5th rusher) or Breeland, if Haslett wants more speed, to play a part and double someone.

I don't think Merriweather shadowing McCoy or Sproles is good for us.  I hope that we don't try to do that.  I wouldn't call Merriweather a coverage safety.  He's more of a run stopper.

I don't think Merriweather shadowing McCoy or Sproles is good for us.  I hope that we don't try to do that.  I wouldn't call Merriweather a coverage safety.  He's more of a run stopper.

I think that's what he was alluding to...McCoy and Sproles aren't dangerous as pass catchers, they're dangerous as runners in space. Let them catch the screens but (hopefully lol) have the defensive spies limit the damage they do after the catch. I don't think he meant Merriweather would be good for defending the pass against them.

against the Texans and Jags .....  Thats worse then the usual preseason Champion claims That are norm from some fans

The same Jags team that put up 306 on you put up 148 on us. Your "vaunted" offense (82) put up 420 yards. Our offense (81 plays) put up 449.

The Eagles try to run a play 20 seconds after the play clock resets. The Redskins run a traditional offense. Yet we managed to run 1 less play than the vaunted Chip Kelly offense against the Jags. Our "willing" defense was literally one blown assignment from holding an NFL offense under 100 total yards. The same NFL offense put up over 300 on your defense. I'm failing to see why this game is a foregone conclusion in your mind?

Ryan Kerrigan vs a 3rd string RT. And lets not forget that last year the Skins lost by running out of time in both games (go look at the box scores on ESPN).

The same Jags team that put up 306 on you put up 148 on us. Your "vaunted" offense (82) put up 420 yards. Our offense (81 plays) put up 449.

The Eagles try to run a play 20 seconds after the play clock resets. The Redskins run a traditional offense. Yet we managed to run 1 less play than the vaunted Chip Kelly offense against the Jags. Our "willing" defense was literally one blown assignment from holding an NFL offense under 100 total yards. The same NFL offense put up over 300 on your defense. I'm failing to see why this game is a foregone conclusion in your mind?

Ryan Kerrigan vs a 3rd string RT. And lets not forget that last year the Skins lost by running out of time in both games (go look at the box scores on ESPN).

turnovers and field position screwed us on that . But any given Sunday a team can perform .  But keep going because it will make Sunday all more enjoyable

I'm not saying the Eagles' corners are great, because clearly they aren't...but I think the Redskins shutting down of Hurns had more to do with Chad Henne being sacked 10 times rather than great DB play. It's hard to throw to Hurns or anyone else when you're on your back. ^_^

Agreed, so that just means that the Skins' pass rush (10 sacks and 18 QB hits) is over 9 times as good as the Eagles' (3 sacks and no other QB hits).   :D

I think that's what he was alluding to...McCoy and Sproles aren't dangerous as pass catchers, they're dangerous as runners in space. Let them catch the screens but (hopefully lol) have the defensive spies limit the damage they do after the catch. I don't think he meant Merriweather would be good for defending the pass against them.

Cali's right.  I wasn't saying we should have Merriweather in coverage, but covering the flat and screens vs covering a WR in the open field are completely different tasks.  Running a screen play type route isn't like running a receiver route.  There are no double fakes, no sharp cuts, nothing but the RB running a very basic pattern and often waiting for the ball.  

That's why Robinson has been so successful at covering those types of plays so far, not because he could cover a regular WR route.  Merriweather's speed isn't meant to prevent the catch, it's meant to stop the RB from picking up a ton of yards after the catch.  He's definitely fast enough, when placed inside the box, to get to a RB in the flat.  Robinson has been, but with McCoy and Sproles, being faster than most RBs, I wouldn't make him the primary shadow for this game, but a guy like Merriweather or Breeland definitely could do it.

This is awesome.  It has actually happened.  Skins fans really believe they are going to win this game.  I never thought they'd even suggest it.  Now they are talking up their secondary (We have two really good CBs, "mentions D. Hall")  LOL! 

The happiest moment of the season for me is going to be on this board the three-four days after this week's game.  At that point, the Skins will be 1-2, everyone will realize that Cousins is the QB that finished the season for the Skins last year, and that there is leaps and bounds between the two teams.  See you guys then.

This is awesome.  It has actually happened.  Skins fans really believe they are going to win this game.  I never thought they'd even suggest it.  Now they are talking up their secondary (We have two really good CBs, "mentions D. Hall")  LOL! 

The happiest moment of the season for me is going to be on this board the three-four days after this week's game.  At that point, the Skins will be 1-2, everyone will realize that Cousins is the QB that finished the season for the Skins last year, and that there is leaps and bounds between the two teams.  See you guys then.

With the Eagles' beat up offensive line, Foles' inconsistent play, and the chance of Casey Matthews seeing significant playing time, this will be a close game that either team could win. I would feel better about the Eagles' chances if RGIII was playing because Cousins looked good last week. 2014 Cousins looks more like 2013 Foles than 2014 Foles does. This game will be closer than I thought it would be 2 weeks ago after seeing the Redskins' lackluster performance against Houston.

With the Eagles' beat up offensive line, Foles' inconsistent play, and the chance of Casey Matthews seeing significant playing time, this will be a close game that either team could win. I would feel better about the Eagles' chances if RGIII was playing because Cousins looked good last week. 2014 Cousins looks more like 2013 Foles than 2014 Foles does. This game will be closer than I thought it would be 2 weeks ago after seeing the Redskins' lackluster performance against Houston.

Its not gonna be that close.  Eagles by 10 at least.  I don't really believe our defense is suddenly elite, though its improved.  And I know most people disagree with me, but Cousins does pretty much stink.  Arm strength is often overrated, but he doesn't have enough for the NFL.  Also, he makes quick decisions, but often those are quick bad decisions.  You'll see him throw at least two picks to your "bad secondary" and the game will never be in doubt.

Not everyone.

I understand being humble and being gracious in someone other's house, but I just don't see the Skins making it a game.  I have a lot of reasons for this but I won't bore everyone.  Yeah, Eagles are going to beat that ass.

Says the guy who disappeared for chunks of the season when the Eagles were 4-12. 

Good thing there is normally universal justice.... Lets see how ole chipper does this year with no threat at WR so defenses can stack the box against a QB that folds like a chair against pressure and either eats the sack or throws it to the 20th row.

They did come together a little after the first two drives. However, One drive was extended by a rubbish 5 yard illegal contact, and the scoring drive was off a blocked punt. You can still see that Foles does not opperate well under pressure though. Gimme those eagles week 3.

According to Pro Football Focus, in the game against the Redskins, Foles was pressured by 17 hurries and 8 QB hits. Despite that Foles took 0 sacks and completed 27 of 41 passes (65.9%) for 325 yards, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a passer rating of 114.4.

8 plays after Foles took this

folesboom.0.gif

He did this

apjkm.jpg

Pretty good performance for a "folding chair". :lol:

Honestly, there is no reason to worry about the Eagles winning too much at all. Lets look at who and how they've won:

1. They beat the Jags, who hasn't?

2. They barely beat a winless Colts, with the help of bad officiating. The Colts aren't that good, but they won a game...against the Jags.

3. They barely beat us because of a missed field goal and more subjective officiating. We're not a very good team either, but we won a game...against the Jags.

The Eagles might take the division, if we can get our crap together we can give them a decent run, but the Eagles aren't going anywhere in the playoffs.

Yes!  The "they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs" statement is starting on this messageboard!  For you long time members of this board, you know this is my absolutely favorite time of the year around here. 

It's always the same; point out a few plays in close games that would have changed the outcome of said games....completely ignoring the fact that most games hinge on a handful of plays.  Abandon the hope that your team will defeat the Eagles; either in real head to head games or for the division/playoffs.  Cast your lot in a superior team that the Eagles will certainly not beat!  "Yeah yeah yeah, just wait until Seattle/New Orleans/ Anyone other than us plays them in the playoffs.  They aren't going anywhere!"

Right now we are still talking NFC teams.  In the 2000-2004 timeframe, there was always the mythical AFC team that posters would bring up around here. 

Thank you, bobby tripod.  You made my day.  You just raised the white flag for the Skins.  Sad yet hilarious at the same time.

Yes!; The "they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs" statement is starting on this messageboard! For you long time members of this board, you know this is my absolutely favorite time of the year around here.

It's always the same; point out a few plays in close games that would have changed the outcome of said games....completely ignoring the fact that most games hinge on a handful of plays. Abandon the hope that your team will defeat the Eagles; either in real head to head games or for the division/playoffs. Cast your lot in a superior team that the Eagles will certainly not beat!; "Yeah yeah yeah, just wait until Seattle/New Orleans/ Anyone other than us plays them in the playoffs. They aren't going anywhere!"

Right now we are still talking NFC teams.; In the 2000-2004 timeframe, there was always the mythical AFC team that posters would bring up around here.

Thank you, bobby tripod. You made my day. You just raised the white flag for the Skins. Sad yet hilarious at the same time.

Haha! The Eagles: "They MIGHT win the division, but won't go anywhere in the playoffs". If you can make it fit, I guess you can put that on a trophy and put it on display...

According to Pro Football Focus, in the game against the Redskins, Foles was pressured by 17 hurries and 8 QB hits. Despite that Foles took 0 sacks and completed 27 of 41 passes (65.9%) for 325 yards, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a passer rating of 114.4.

8 plays after Foles took this

He did this

Pretty good performance for a "folding chair". :lol:

After taking a perfectly legal hit a QB completed a pass? You must be so proud....

I'll be waiting for your critique of his play against the 9ers.

He didn't play well against San Francisco. Doesn't take an expert to see that. The Eagles had been getting by with their battered offensive line and Foles' inconsistent play, but they faced a top defense for the first time this year and just getting by wasn't good enough. Lane Johnson is back this week but the absence of Kelce and Mathis is hurting both the running game and the passing game. Foles hasn't been playing well and it doesn't help that his favorite receiver last year, Riley Cooper, hasn't been playing well either.

No need to panic. Chip and the gang will get it sorted out. The Eagles were 1-3 at this time last year, and 3-5 at the midway point. Kelce and Mathis will be back for the second half of the season. Foles' worst game last year was the first game against the Cowboys. That time he was inaccurate and inexplicably missing open receivers as he did against the 49ers. After sitting out the following week because of a concussion suffered against the Cowboys, he came back and threw 7 touchdowns and no interceptions against Oakland.

After sitting out the following week because of a concussion suffered against the Cowboys, he came back and threw 7 touchdowns and no interceptions against Oakland.

Orakpo looks lik JJ Watt against Oakland. Setting records against them isn't exactly hard.

Orakpo looks lik JJ Watt against Oakland. Setting records against them isn't exactly hard.

We're talking quarterbacks, not OLB's. If it was so easy to throw touchdowns against Oakland last year, why didn't RGIII throw more than one? Granted, it was a really impressive five yard touchdown pass that RGIII threw, but still, if it was so easy... :lol:

Archived