Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Have a Disaster Preparedness Kit? (If so, what is something unique in it?)

PleaseBlitz

I have two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. Not that I need all that for a disaster, but once you get locked into a serious disaster preparedness kit, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Cash is useless but gold . . . yeah, man, gold. The ultimate, portable, value stable universal currency.

In the scenarios where cash is useless, gold is equally useless.  A great stable universal currency when the **** goes down in the USA...problem is you can't interact with someone in another country to sell it.

A few people have mentioned The Road...iirc there is a scene there where they find some gold nuggets in a bomb shelter.  And leave them.  Because it's not worth anything.

In those types of scenarios the only commodities of value are food, clothes, weapons/ammo, and women (not intending to be crass or dehumanizing here, but there's really no other way to say it...).

I have two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. Not that I need all that for a disaster, but once you get locked into a serious disaster preparedness kit, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

The only thing that worries me is the ether.  There is nothing in this world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge.  And you know after disaster strikes Tim will be getting into that rotten stuff sooner or later.

And that is why you go off into the woods far from anyone and everyone else. 

I have two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. 

I don't think that's what the OP meant when he asked about "preparing for a disaster" kit.

Cash is useless - go with as much ammo as you can buy.  Buy a water purifier too.

so if power goes down, riots and looters don't happen and you want to buy something from the store, how many bullets does a gallon of milk cost?

Exactly.  Like i said, some people ONLY PLAN for the absolute worst possible thing, which is dumb.  And serious, cash is SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT.  I think I'll pack some, just in case THE ONE THING YOU CAN CURRENTLY TRADE FOR ANYTHING retains that property like it has for hundreds of years.  

what level of disaster are you people talking about!!??

it seems like "Red Dawn" is a minor disturbance, in your planning scale... but "30 days later" is an appropriate metric.   

EXACTLY.  Which is why I put what was most likely to happen to my personal situation.  This will of course be different for everyone, so it would be helpful if people can elaborate about their planning rather than just saying "Guns.  Ammo.  NUF SAID."  That's not ****ing helpful.  

People don't have bug out bags for the power just going out. People buy them for the 2nd example the OP stated of a bomb going off in D.C. It would have to be a big one too. A bomb went off in Boston and no one fled the city. The bomb would have to wipe out more than a few city blocks. I'm not sure if the OP means dirty bomb or nuke or something. Because their is a big difference in being prepared for a hurricane and being prepared for a nuclear war.

First, nobody said bug out bag, those are for tea-partiers who already live in bunkers. :)  It is "disaster preparedness kit."  The distinction being it can be for staying at home OR leaving, depending on the situation.  And yes, i was thinking a dirty bomb, I really think that is the worst-case scenario to plan for (or else WTF is the NSA REALLY doing with my sexts?).  

UNO cards.

Just the essentials ...

Samurai sword.

Night vision goggles.

Magic The Gathering Game Cards.

In all seriousness, I packed a few books.  I think it's likely that a disaster is initially very exciting, and then followed by days and days of sitting around.  People don't plan for boredom.  I may put a quart of Jack in the kit.  

Cash is useless but gold . . . yeah, man, gold. The ultimate, portable, value stable universal currency.

Gold is neither portable (when compared to cash) nor stable, nor currency (by definition).  

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/gold.aspx?timeframe=1y

Seems like in a real disaster medicine would be amongst the most valuable things. If society crumbles, which appears to be the scenario people here seem to be discussing, antibiotics would be incredibly scarce. You can't shoot an ear infection or an infected cut. Both can kill you.

Is there even a way to keep antibiotics? They require a prescription and expire.

Seems like in a real disaster medicine would be amongst the most valuable things. If society crumbles, which appears to be the scenario people here seem to be discussing, antibiotics would be incredibly scarce. You can't shoot an ear infection or an infected cut. Both can kill you.

Is there even a way to keep antibiotics? They require a prescription and expire.

This was discussed.  After I got past the beer induced "why the **** do you need a prescription for antibiotics??" tirade, I came to the same conclusion, they would be really useful to have.  I think amoxicillin takes like 5 years to "fully" expire, meaning totally lose efficacy.  Like many drugs, the manufacturers shorten the expiration dates so people have to buy more of their product.  

Next weekend I am going to see if I can't catch JUST A LITTLE BIT of pneumonia so I can score some.  

Machete's/Knives/Guns

Enough goods to last at least a week, and keep me travelling at a good pace until I reach another food source

Plenty of first aid (I already have 5 kits)

Radio (w/ batteries)

Firestarter

Map

There is no way I'd stay at home.... not where I live. I'd try to get to the wilderness and away from people as quickly as possible. We would go on foot (or bikes). This place is a deathtrap if you try to leave in a car.

This was discussed.  After I got past the beer induced "why the **** do you need a prescription for antibiotics??" tirade, I came to the same conclusion, they would be really useful to have.  I think amoxicillin takes like 5 years to "fully" expire, meaning totally lose efficacy.  Like many drugs, the manufacturers shorten the expiration dates so people have to buy more of their product.  

Next weekend I am going to see if I can't catch JUST A LITTLE BIT of pneumonia so I can score some.  

you can buy fish mox in bulk, many preppers do

Machete's/Knives/Guns

Enough goods to last at least a week, and keep me travelling at a good pace until I reach another food source

Plenty of first aid (I already have 5 kits)

Radio (w/ batteries)

Firestarter

Map

There is no way I'd stay at home.... not where I live. I'd try to get to the wilderness and away from people as quickly as possible. We would go on foot (or bikes). This place is a deathtrap if you try to leave in a car.

What if the disaster was . . . a massive snow storm?  

you can buy fish mox in bulk, many preppers do

"Fish mox" sounds like a disease, not the cure.

"Fish mox" sounds like a disease, not the cure.

What was that pneumonia boy?  :P

it is amoxcil....pharmacy grade, and even in capsules of 250 or 500 mg...or bulk powder

sprouting scales can be a plus ya know

Gas masks are pretty much worthless if there was any kind of chemical attack.  I would say they are pretty much worthless in general.

well they are not as good as my suit and supplied air respirator, but they are not worthless....uncomfortable as hell in July though

What if the disaster was . . . a massive snow storm?  

Unless it's some ungodly Roland Emmerich Day After Tomorrow ****, we'd be straight

Plus I'm not a moron, and would be paying attention to weather reports, and would now how much snow to expect, so I could adjust my survival plan. We have enough goods here to last a month, easily (if rationed properly), and plenty of blankets and jackets/socks. That would be the easiest scenario to survive.

Now if I was caught in a snowstorm, my gameplan would have to be entirely different, but I wouldn't be dumb enough to wait until the weather gets so bad that you can't drive, or move around outside. I could definitely beat a snowstorm

Explain.

Well you would have to have the right filter for whatever gas you were trying to protect against, there is a shelf life on the filter, if it were some type of chemical warfare type attack it wouldn't protect your body even if the filter saved you from the chemical.  There is too many airborne things that could occur to fully cover yourself.

I also highly recommend generators.  When living back in Baltimore in '04 I think it was, we were hit with a hurricane and out of power for 5 days.  The generator my aunt and uncle had kept the necessary appliances running and life a whole lot happier for my cousins and I.

Well you would have to have the right filter for whatever gas you were trying to protect against, there is a shelf life on the filter, if it were some type of chemical warfare type attack it wouldn't protect your body even if the filter saved you from the chemical.  There is too many airborne things that could occur to fully cover yourself.

sheet plastic and duct tape....and prayer(ya are gonna need any help ya can get)

I think the worst possible thing that could happen, would be a solar flare/cyberterrorism grid shutdown kind of scenario. Some type of cataclysmic event, storm, terrorist attack, outbreak, etc would take out a considerable portion of society, or make it so that simply walking on the surface would present an array of problems

But if someone simply turned out the lights, and we were plunged back into the 19th century, that would really suck.

I think the worst possible thing that could happen, would be a solar flare/cyberterrorism grid shutdown kind of scenario. Some type of cataclysmic event, storm, terrorist attack, outbreak, etc would take out a considerable portion of society, or make it so that simply walking on the surface would present an array of problems

But if someone simply turned out the lights, and we were plunged back into the 19th century, that would really suck.

Like the TV show Revolution?  yeah, that would suck lol.

Archived