Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Have a Disaster Preparedness Kit? (If so, what is something unique in it?)

PleaseBlitz

Didn't some crazy snow storm hit Buffalo in the 70s and kill a bunch of people. People were buried in their cars before they got off the road? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_1977

Sinister makes a good point tho Cars would be death traps. Bike is most likely the best option. 

If only 28 days later was real my life would be complete

Cash is useless - go with as much ammo as you can buy.  Buy a water purifier too.

In most disasters, cash will be quite good.  Remember, most disasters are going to be local and temporal so you are either going to be forced to leave the local area or stay in which case you will likely need more of a camping-type kit.  Where you are forced to stay, cash may be very useful either at the front-end or at the back-end.  If you are evacuated, when you leave the are effected, a credit card may be of more use but you are likely to need the cash while you are evacuating.  Cash would only become useless if the disaster was neither local or temporal.

you can buy fish mox in bulk, many preppers do

Yep.  It's pharmaceutical grade amoxicillian.

Also, paracord is amazing and should be in every kit.  It's a very strong cord that is made up of a lot of smaller threads on the inside, which can be removed and used for fishing line.  There are so many uses for it.

Haven't seen duct tape mentioned.  Nor a mirror (for signaling), possibly a magnifying glass (would make starting fires easier and conserve matches/lighters - while it's not the most practical thing) and compass.

Of course you would have to start the fires while the sun was out, but fire can be used as a signaling mechanism, if that's something you need to do.  

Duct tape and paracord are already in my kit.

I was looking at commercially available kits online. I kept seeing that they included so many different ways to start a fire.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tocguide/toc-go-bag?ref=nav_search

That one has 3 different fire starting implements; "[1] Solid fuel, [2] waterproof matches, [3] sparking firestarter."

Nobody says "$1 bic lighter."

I wonder how many people are capable of surviving entirely on their own for an extended period of time. Humans do much better in groups. The larger the better so long as they don't outgrow the food they can produce and groups are much better at acquiring food reliably than individuals.

I wonder how many people are capable of surviving entirely on their own for an extended period of time. Humans do much better in groups. The larger the better so long as they don't outgrow the food they can produce and groups are much better at acquiring food reliably than individuals.

I'd say a group of 3 is ideal. You can move fast, food won't be a huge problem, you're less likely to face resistance when it comes to making group decisions. Only problem is if you run into a group larger than yours.

I'd say a group of 3 is ideal. You can move fast, food won't be a huge problem, you're less likely to face resistance when it comes to making group decisions. Only problem is if you run into a group larger than yours.

Have you ever seen three women try to make a decision?

Sure have. I aint gonna have that **** in my group though, not unless they want their asses tied up and left behind. There aren't gonna be any Lori's and Andrea's in my group, hassling me with their 1st world problems

I'd want 100 people. Small enough to hide easily in the great big wilderness but large enough that the legion of wanna be survivalists, who will quickly discover starvation, won't want to mess with it. Also large enough to work in shifts and specialize beyond hunter/gatherer and shelter. Guards and scouts would be nice.

Woman #1:  Let's walk north away from the carnage.

Woman #2:  No, Let's walk east.

Woman #3:  Does my ass look fat in these pants we looted off that one chicks body?

Have you ever seen a man successfully figure out (without outside intervention) where the hell he's going?

Yeah, neither have I.

By the way, I'll be holding tryouts for my survival group and limiting it to twelve (not including the camera crew).

Have you ever seen a man successfully figure out (without outside intervention) where the hell he's going?

Yeah, neither have I.

By the way, I'll be holding tryouts for my survival group and limiting it to twelve (not including the camera crew).

Touche :)  We might not know where the hell we are going, but damn it you wouldn't know that by the look on our face until we were lost LOL

Yeah, neither have I.

Camera crew?

Sounds like dead weight to me.

The problem with more people is that you have more mouths to feed, higher possibility of people doing stupid stuff and a lot more things can go wrong. When its a situation where 1 person can put everyone at risk I say smaller is better. I'd say a good number is no more than 10 people. 

And Sinister if you have less people it doesn't always mean that bigger groups will give you more trouble.

of course im referring to 28 days later type stuff or that show doomsday preppers.

The problem with more people is that you have more mouths to feed, higher possibility of people doing stupid stuff and a lot more things can go wrong. When its a situation where 1 person can put everyone at risk I say smaller is better. I'd say a good number is no more than 10 people. 

And Sinister if you have less people it doesn't always mean that bigger groups will give you more trouble.

of course im referring to 28 days later type stuff or that show doomsday preppers.

There's no way a group of 100 could stick together unless they are controlled through fear. You'd have to have acres upon acres of land to harvest crops and hunt animals. All it takes is one little spark to start a confrontation, and bam....... your group of 100 just became a group of 85, and now people may start to lose faith if you hit a rough patch... That group dwindles to 75. Maybe people start to question authority, and there's a fight/mutiny.

I don't think that is very sustainable. A group of 20? I could see that. But not 100

I have two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls. Not that I need all that for a disaster, but once you get locked into a serious disaster preparedness kit, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

what the hell are amyls?  

i have seen them referenced my whole life, in the fabulous freak brothers and vague drug crazed references...but i have never actually heard of anybody i actually knew having anything to do with them...

11164__the-fabulous-furry-freak-brothers

what the hell are they?

Archived